• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Post-Match Thread and Ratings Southend United 1-2 Aldershot Town

Yesterday was ****, really ****. The worst we’ve played under Kev tbh. We’ve lost 5 in a row. That is also really ****.

But please can we stop over reacting. It’s very boring. Our UEFA Pro License holding manager isn’t an idiot. He’ll learn more about who he wants here next season based on yesterday than he will based on the highs. Assuming both management and players want to be here next season anyway.

Seasons over. Make decisions now on the squad and play those who can take us forward. There’s a good few who are decent enough squad players but if we want to challenge next season then we should probably move on. That’s of course assuming the chairman can pay his tax again.

Side note, classy tweet from Cordner that. Off topic but he was decent under Brown in them last few games and I’d have kept him here. Shame he / his agent ****ed us about with that one

I heard that Powell threw a wobbler regarding the MoM award and refused to meet the 6 year old kid who nominated him.

I guess he thought someone was taking the pee, but I think it was just a kid who‘s favourite player is Powell.

But maybe someone at the club should have pointed out is wasn’t a good idea and scrapped the MoM award as there wasn’t one - in a blue shirt anyway

Yes maybe Powell should have just taken a bow on the pitch and laughed it off. However, no one normally remembers who the MoM was but they will from yesterday 😂

Made my first visit to Roots Hall since the league 1 game v Lincoln when Elvis scored the last minute winner!!!

I have to say, regardless of anything else, and I understand people have had enough of the place, it remains a special place for me and a fantastic place to watch football. Visiting yesterday was a very enjoyable experience.

I actually thought Southend were streets ahead of Aldershot first half. Although Aldershot had two very good chances which were spurned, Southends football was controlled, had a clear shape and pattern to it and I enjoyed watching it.

It’s an odd system tactically. Almost a lop sided 442 more than anything else but it’s very much geared towards Bridge being the outlet and he’s allowed to cheat and stay high and wide with few defensive responsibilities, making it look more of a 343.

Ralph is a player I’ve always rated and I thought he was steady if unspectacular. He’s incredible in the air but id like to see bridge come inside more and free up space for Ralph to get forward more.

Kensdale is composed but very one footed and Scott-Morris is solid and very reliable in and out of possession. I have to say I think Hobsons lack of pace makes him a weak link defensively….and it was exposed a couple of times first half.

Miley looks a class act. Not creative but dictates the play and the style for you moving the ball efficiently and effectively. Your problems came from the other two in midfield.
Fonguck does a similar job but not as well and where that’s fine defensively he doesn’t offer any alternative going forwards. Mooney, as others have said was great for 30 mins but seemed to play too deep (maybe this is where it allows Bridge to stay out as an outlet?). Anyway it negates his ability to break teams down as he doesn’t have enough ball in the final third.

Anyway I felt you missed a trick first half and had to go in more than a goal up and not doing so was costly.

Second half Aldershot were well worth an equaliser and once they had it Southend gradually ran out of ideas to break them down. The winner came from Southend’s free kick near the Aldershot box and no one seemed to have any idea on what to do, gave it short, lost possession and were caught on the counter which resulted in the penalty. Criminal really.

Bridge disappointed me a little. Took too long on the ball going nowhere with it too often. If you’re going to draw players towards you you have to have the ability to release it to those around you at the right time. Yesterday I saw lots of skill but no end product, which is a waste.

Overall, as I say I thoroughly enjoyed watching the game. A great atmosphere, some good (and bad 😱) memories 😂 and a nostalgic day at a place I’m very fond of.

Southend are in good hands with Kev. It’s just a very very tough division to be successful in. Be patient…the next 5 years are gonna be far more enjoyable than the previous 5 that’s for sure.

❤️

Made my first visit to Roots Hall since the league 1 game v Lincoln when Elvis scored the last minute winner!!!

I have to say, regardless of anything else, and I understand people have had enough of the place, it remains a special place for me and a fantastic place to watch football. Visiting yesterday was a very enjoyable experience.

I actually thought Southend were streets ahead of Aldershot first half. Although Aldershot had two very good chances which were spurned, Southends football was controlled, had a clear shape and pattern to it and I enjoyed watching it.

It’s an odd system tactically. Almost a lop sided 442 more than anything else but it’s very much geared towards Bridge being the outlet and he’s allowed to cheat and stay high and wide with few defensive responsibilities, making it look more of a 343.

Ralph is a player I’ve always rated and I thought he was steady if unspectacular. He’s incredible in the air but id like to see bridge come inside more and free up space for Ralph to get forward more.

Kensdale is composed but very one footed and Scott-Morris is solid and very reliable in and out of possession. I have to say I think Hobsons lack of pace makes him a weak link defensively….and it was exposed a couple of times first half.

Miley looks a class act. Not creative but dictates the play and the style for you moving the ball efficiently and effectively. Your problems came from the other two in midfield.
Fonguck does a similar job but not as well and where that’s fine defensively he doesn’t offer any alternative going forwards. Mooney, as others have said was great for 30 mins but seemed to play too deep (maybe this is where it allows Bridge to stay out as an outlet?). Anyway it negates his ability to break teams down as he doesn’t have enough ball in the final third.

Anyway I felt you missed a trick first half and had to go in more than a goal up and not doing so was costly.

Second half Aldershot were well worth an equaliser and once they had it Southend gradually ran out of ideas to break them down. The winner came from Southend’s free kick near the Aldershot box and no one seemed to have any idea on what to do, gave it short, lost possession and were caught on the counter which resulted in the penalty. Criminal really.

Bridge disappointed me a little. Took too long on the ball going nowhere with it too often. If you’re going to draw players towards you you have to have the ability to release it to those around you at the right time. Yesterday I saw lots of skill but no end product, which is a waste.

Overall, as I say I thoroughly enjoyed watching the game. A great atmosphere, some good (and bad 😱) memories 😂 and a nostalgic day at a place I’m very fond of.

Southend are in good hands with Kev. It’s just a very very tough division to be successful in. Be patient…the next 5 years are gonna be far more enjoyable than the previous 5 that’s for sure.

❤️
Shame that after so may years you chose to watch there worst performance of the year, Yes RH is a special place ,i havent visited it since 1987 ,but still miss it .

Oh, if true that puts a different complexion on a mystifying decision. Again, if true, Callum better go and see that kid to say a belated thank you.
I’ll admit to applauding the man-of-match decision—it seemed to be an apt comment on the overall performance and Powell did well,definitely adding more threat when he came on.
The real Man -of -the-match,by a distance,though, was Mark Molesey’s man,Tyler Cordner.
Easy to criticise individual players now,but I believe we have a very good squad of players—the recruitment has been excellent (John Still ?) Sorry to have to say it but although he’s done a remarkably good job keeping the players happy,motivating them,despite all the obvious problems , I don’t think much of Maher as a tactician: just looking at our chronic lack of goals—I don’t think we have got the best out of Mooney,obviously,Cardwell,Powell and in particular Bridge.When he was leaving their defence for dead every time he got the ball —it was so obvious we needed to get the ball out to him more often AND get players on the end of his crosses, and then when teams put 2 or 3 on him,exploit the extra space in the middle and out right.Other (more experienced?) managers seem to outthink him— he definitely doesn’t make substitutions quickly enough.
I don’t think losing Lopata (and his agent) was that much of a blow.His arrival from Sheffield U,was a bit suspicious and I didn’t like the way he was treating a highly promising young keeper.

Oh dear, oh dear. I really had high hopes for yesterday's game, I thought Friday's news would have put an injection of excitement into everyone and that we'd have an exciting game with some goals to celebrate. How wrong was I?

Ok, the conditions were poor, having been on the pitch before the start with the flag bearers, I can say that it wouldn't have suited some of our players who would have found it heavy going. Felt sorry for the Aldershot player who skidded off the pitch in front of the South stand first half who would have definitely landed in some of the numerous piles of fox poo on the perimeter walkway, which we had to dodge on our way back to the West!

Felt things had been changed to accommodate Mooney and while we saw the results of that early on with a well worked goal, I felt him having free rein stifled Gus in particular and rendered Fonguck jobless. Time and again Gus offered himself for a ball out and it bypassed him to Mooney or went to the left. I don't know why as Gus has been a fantastic player for us and great at charging forwards with the ball. On the other side, Ralph got forwards ahead of Bridge several times, and looked to be playing the LWB role himself - what was that all about? Was it to try and exploit the space left by Aldershot doubling up on Bridge? Whatever was going on, we looked unbalanced.

No idea if the loss of Lopata has affected our defenders or not, but Kensdale was definitely out of sorts. I am surprised at criticism of Hobson who I thought was easily our best defender. For me, we've got to start looking at a change to a back 4 at times when the 3 plus wing backs isn't working, as was the case yesterday. Far, far too much passing the ball back and across as well, little of the forward nature.

I agree with those who thought Cordner was carrying a bit of timber, but it made him a very solid defender and I thought he had a great game for them. They were a niggly team but I thought that the officials had things pretty much spot on throughout - though was surprised Arnold wasn't sent for the penalty.

Arnold - 6, suicide ball back to him which led to the penalty, no complaints. Didn't always choose the best option for distribution
Scott-Morriss - 6, always an option but largely over-looked
Hobson - 7, MOTM, had to work hard defensively
Kensdale - 5, he'll want to forget that
Ralph - 6, thought he did reasonably ok, got forwards well and won lots of headers
Bridge - 6, tried hard and got some decent crosses in but our strikers weren't anywhere near
Miley - 7, never afraid to get a foot in and challenge, great engine
Fonguck - 5, added very little
Mooney - 7, great opening half an hour but tired, didn't think his corners were great and felt that Bridge and Miley had better success
Murphy - 6, good to see a forward actually trying to bully opposition defences
Cardwell - 6, not as effective as Murphy

Subs:
Powell for Murphy - 6, felt it could have been the game for him, the ground should have suited him. We saw a few runs and he got some crosses in but MOTM???? No!
Taylor for Fonguck - 5, poor, think he started the move which led to the penalty
Wreh for Mooney - did he touch the ball?

Some work for the management team ahead. I hope these players haven't decided they're off in the summer so that's it for them, they might as well stop playing. If that is the case, then get Benton and Sandat out there and get Jack Wood back from Tonbridge where he seems to be having a great time!
Spot on. Nothing more any one can add to this tbh.

I think the heady highs of reaching the playoff places and staying there for a while has given us a false sense of hope. We have an outstanding management team who have instilled togetherness, some very talented players, and on our day we are an attractive footballing side who can beat anyone in this league. However, over a long season, with injuries, suspensions and condensed fixtures you need strength in depth, which we just don't have (obviously not helped by yet another season long embargo!). It has been a tough few weeks playing the top sides, where our lack of fire power has massively unravelled us.

We were really good in the first half, and we had already dropped the pace by half time. The pitch looked heavy, and that will not have suited our tired legs. Aldershot did well in the second half, to give them their credit, but I don't think any of this detracts from our poor recent run, or from our potential in the bigger picture.

In terms of the game, we did look unbalanced, but more importantly I thought we worked hard but we looked totally knackered! Realistically, the season is all but over, so a good chance to figure out the plan for next year. If we can string together some results, the play offs are possible, but I will still be very happy with a nice sold top half of the table finish this year!

Yes maybe Powell should have just taken a bow on the pitch and laughed it off. However, no one normally remembers who the MoM was but they will from yesterday 😂
Perhaps Powell was jealous as the kid was taller than him, or a better footballer, which isn't difficult.

With that sh*tty attitude, he can fk right off. Mass clear out next season would be nice.

Perhaps Powell was jealous as the kid was taller than him, or a better footballer, which isn't difficult.

With that sh*tty attitude, he can fk right off. Mass clear out next season would be nice.
I thought that something was wrong, all these comments and very little abuse, not at all like Shrimperzone, then then it happened, back to normal. Nice while it lasted though!

I heard that Powell threw a wobbler regarding the MoM award and refused to meet the 6 year old kid who nominated him.

I guess he thought someone was taking the pee, but I think it was just a kid who‘s favourite player is Powell.

But maybe someone at the club should have pointed out is wasn’t a good idea and scrapped the MoM award as there wasn’t one - in a blue shirt anyway
I think Powell was voted for by the sponsor group linked to the adult mascot stag do stylie. A drunken day out and used the MOM as part of their have a laugh day out.
Although the adult mascot guy was well behaved and it was a bit entertaining pre match, im not sure MOM should be abused like that

I thought that something was wrong, all these comments and very little abuse, not at all like Shrimperzone, then then it happened, back to normal. Nice while it lasted though!
Sorry, what I meant was that the club is in an amazing position, our chairman is amazing, and everything else is great :D

Understandably the players and management looked tired and worn out.

No one played well and to avoid any ratings then no one was worth more than a 4 apart from Murphy who played well whilst on the pitch.

5 at the back doesn't work with our midfield any longer. Cav Miley is already my player of the season but is sitting too deep. Why is he taking free kicks from our own half which then leaves a huge gap in midfield for the second ball? He desperately needs two creative players alongside him as he has carried the midfield all season long.

Not sure what our Management see in Mooney, he was on fire for first 20 minutes and then was terrible - does he lack basic fitness and stamina? Second half he literally hugged the right flank, looked like he was hiding from the ball and blocked every avenue for GS-M to push forward in to. Mooney was a complete passenger.

I hope that KM realises that he can't play Bridge and Mooney in the same team. It leaves the midfield empty and under manned in my opinion, however given the ongoing embargo he really does have his hands tied.

We are so easy to set up against, 2 men on Bridge and then surrender territory when we are in possession and let us play sideways, backwards, sideways and then the long pass that more often than not results in turnovers.

You're meant to be a realist, the wheels have fallen off and there's no spare !
Kev needs to play fully fit players like Sandat and Benton, we have players who seem to be regaining fitness playing first team games and being kept on to long imo
The 2nd half midfield dissapearing act was like going back in time of the PB team in this division!
Bridge needs resting , Mooney and Powell 1/2 game each , Murphy , Hyde and Wreh the same if we must play unfit players .
You mean the Sandat who hasn’t been seen on a bench since being subbed clutching his thigh?

I’m not sure Benton would be match fit either. He hasn’t started a game in nearly three months. We really need some B team games to get players up to speed.

You mean the Sandat who hasn’t been seen on a bench since being subbed clutching his thigh?

I’m not sure Benton would be match fit either. He hasn’t started a game in nearly three months. We really need some B team games to get players up to speed.
Well as so many of our squad have been injured throughout the season it's a bit difficult to be in the the know , but what we have seen is a tendency by kev to keep players on when obviously struggling.
I agree that B team games would help with match fitness and let us know players progress.
I would also remind all those who said a decent pre season, would make all difference to our players, it appears not to be the case. Probably because our squad and managers are struggling with mental exhaustion. Thanks to RM

My error regarding Sandat and Bentons assumed match fitness may be because they were both on the pre match team selections list, perhaps players unlikely to play due to injury or suspension could be colour coded Amber unlikely Red definitely out of action, black on strike , just an idea..

He didn’t want to look smaller than a 6 year old possibly?

Back