• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Post-Match Thread and Ratings Southend United 1-2 Bristol Rovers

Excuse after excuse after excuse we are losing to teams in the relegation battle
In times like this we need a manager and back room stathat can motivate and even the most Powell love in people must realise we are in a dog fight and is he and the backroom team the ones to get us out

I really hope they are as CP is a gentleman off the pitch but in reality we need a change soon, the transfer period has gone so now down to if the players believe and respect him

I would imagine like Sgt Wilson from DadsArmy
Godfrey springs to mind.

First half I couldn’t work out what formation we were playing. Start of second half, 2 subs and we clearly switch to 442. First 10mins of second half and we’re electric. The next 35mins were the usual dross. Omg, we need some strategy and tactics. What do they do at boots and laces??!!!

It was dru and it was a foul. He clipped his legs. I thought the ref did well today. Decisions good for both sides. Spent a while booking people which annoyed me, but if that’s the only thing, well done ref
Sorry quite right it was dru, I am so used to it being Elvis outmuscled , I forget it was dru. Didn’t look a foul to me

Quick question; are the team / squad scared at playing at home?

I only ask (as a 0.5 STH) it seems that they'd rather play away, less supporting fans - less criticism, allows them to play with freedom = results.

I am s""t proud of being a supporter, I think we all are......all this stuff starts at home.....make home work, you have no fears going away.

Injuries , yep , very unlucky......howsabout a "call to arms"....play for the badge/club/fans and make us all proud...win, lose or draw

Up the Gas! How did we look? What do you guys think of Graham Coughlan?
Not the right time to ask us this question the defeat is still too raw. No disrespect to Rovers but you are 23rdfor a reason and we set up as if Barcelona were coming to town. Disgraceful tactics at home to a team sitting 23rd. Huddersfield couldn’t wait to get rid of Powell they hated his negative tactics and I can now see exactly what they meant Coughlan is a shouter and it does seems to motivate you guys. Don’t really feel much about Coughlan one way or the other. Powell on the other hand should shoulder some blame for that performance. Where is the player sweating blood for the team encouraging his team mates winning the ball and passing to a team mate we have no one even close to that. I feel the trapdoor could open for us very easily. L

I've not had the "benefit" of reading any other reports on here but my God that was dreadful. If you had the good fortune NOT to watch that either live or on iFollow and are thinking "Surely it can't be that bad, this is just an over-reaction" then I'm sorry, but you are very, very wrong.

It was every bit as bad and possibly worse than you could ever imagine.

50 years this August I have been watching and cannot remember too many games where we made as many individual mistakes. Bristol Rovers were average at very best, their finishing was dreadful and they made spectacularly awful decisions at times when they had good possession - thank goodness - but still looked like Barcelona compared to us.

I'm too cross to do a full match report, but essentially most of it would read something like -

We had possession and then (select option) -

a) squandered it
b) kicked ball out of play
c) fouled their bloke
d) passed to space
e) fell over
f) lost the ball
g) lost possession
h) lost the will to live (crowd option only)

I'm still just gobsmacked at the level of complete ineptitude of our performance. Bloody hell we were rubbish.

Ratings -

Bishop 7 - Great double save in first half but could I think have done better on both goals (although it's hard to blame the keeper when it's a one v one to be honest)

Elvis - 4 - two good tackles and one good cross. His confidence is shot. Demi, get fit quick for Christ's sake.
Hart - 5 - Not sure he is an upgrade on Hendrie to be honest.
Moore - 6 - He seemed to be trying way too hard and made several uncharacteristic simple errors
White - 6 - Again, an error strewn game way below his usual standard
Turner - 3 - Should have been subbed after 15 mins

Mantom - 3 - Is he still ill? Played like it.
Dieng - 2 - The worst game he has had here by some distance
Yearwood - 4 - No shortage of effort but aside from the shot for the goal, I'm struggling to recall him passing to a blue shirt

Cox - 8 - MOM - worked so hard, the only player to come out with real credit
Humphrys - 4 - He's not getting any service to be fair but his body language in the second half was appalling

Subs -

McLaughlin - 6 - Injected a bit of pace and had a shot that led to our disallowed effort
Kightly - 3 - Lazy, got in the way, really getting fed up by watching his pretend attempts to challenge.
Kelman - 5 - Didn't really get much of a chance to show his stuff

I've not had the "benefit" of reading any other reports on here but my God that was dreadful. If you had the good fortune NOT to watch that either live or on iFollow and are thinking "Surely it can't be that bad, this is just an over-reaction" then I'm sorry, but you are very, very wrong.

It was every bit as bad and possibly worse than you could ever imagine.

50 years this August I have been watching and cannot remember too many games where we made as many individual mistakes. Bristol Rovers were average at very best, their finishing was dreadful and they made spectacularly awful decisions at times when they had good possession - thank goodness - but still looked like Barcelona compared to us.

I'm too cross to do a full match report, but essentially most of it would read something like -

We had possession and then (select option) -

a) squandered it
b) kicked ball out of play
c) fouled their bloke
d) passed to space
e) fell over
f) lost the ball
g) lost possession
h) lost the will to live (crowd option only)

I'm still just gobsmacked at the level of complete ineptitude of our performance. Bloody hell we were rubbish.

Ratings -

Bishop 7 - Great double save in first half but could I think have done better on both goals (although it's hard to blame the keeper when it's a one v one to be honest)

Elvis - 4 - two good tackles and one good cross. His confidence is shot. Demi, get fit quick for Christ's sake.
Hart - 5 - Not sure he is an upgrade on Hendrie to be honest.
Moore - 6 - He seemed to be trying way too hard and made several uncharacteristic simple errors
White - 6 - Again, an error strewn game way below his usual standard
Turner - 3 - Should have been subbed after 15 mins

Mantom - 3 - Is he still ill? Played like it.
Dieng - 2 - The worst game he has had here by some distance
Yearwood - 4 - No shortage of effort but aside from the shot for the goal, I'm struggling to recall him passing to a blue shirt

Cox - 8 - MOM - worked so hard, the only player to come out with real credit
Humphrys - 4 - He's not getting any service to be fair but his body language in the second half was appalling

Subs -

McLaughlin - 6 - Injected a bit of pace and had a shot that led to our disallowed effort
Kightly - 3 - Lazy, got in the way, really getting fed up by watching his pretend attempts to challenge.

Kelman - 5 - Didn't really get much of a chance to show his stuff

I agree with pretty much all your ratings, but I actually thought Kightly was far superior to Macca. Funny how we can see things differently. There has been a lack of ratings on this thread so far, I'd be interested to see some other scores.

I agree with pretty much all your ratings, but I actually thought Kightly was far superior to Macca. Funny how we can see things differently. There has been a lack of ratings on this thread so far, I'd be interested to see some other scores.

I think Kightly flatters to deceive. Now - in the interest of balance, it must be said that I didn't get the benefit of the first 10 minutes of the second half because the East stand coffee bar had run out water and had to boil some more. It takes forever, and they gave me a cold Bovril. I saw the kick off but took it back to get it done again. It wasn't happening. Forever it was always "It'll only be a minute" but after 10 minutes I couldn't wait any longer and just asked for a refund. That was our best bit of play, which I was confined to watch on the tiny TV by the coffee bar, and from what I could see it looked as though Kightly may have been heavily involved.

But when I got back he was toilet.

TWO WORDS "POWELL OUT"

I wouldn't agree yet. However we've got a tough run of games coming up, if we lose the next 2 or 3 then nobody can keep their head in the sand.

After the Luton defeat many were saying 'we're comfortably mid table, no need to worry'. When Theo was loaned with no replacement, much the same 'no problem, we've got Kelman now'. I hope I'm wrong but I'm very worried after that performance, too many players seem disinterested. Powell needs some positive changes quickly or he's on borrowed time.

Last edited:

Dyautb2WwAAO6yQ.jpg

Almost as if a picture doesn't tell a story...

I think Kightly flatters to deceive. Now - in the interest of balance, it must be said that I didn't get the benefit of the first 10 minutes of the second half because the East stand coffee bar had run out water and had to boil some more. It takes forever, and they gave me a cold Bovril. I saw the kick off but took it back to get it done again. It wasn't happening. Forever it was always "It'll only be a minute" but after 10 minutes I couldn't wait any longer and just asked for a refund. That was our best bit of play, which I was confined to watch on the tiny TV by the coffee bar, and from what I could see it looked as though Kightly may have been heavily involved.

But when I got back he was toilet.

That probably explains it, Kightly was very good in the first 10-15 mins of the second half. TBF I can't disagree with you that he was poor after that, I rated him a 6, that was perhaps generous. You actually missed the best 10 minutes of the game IMO, that was about the only time we looked a threat, bloody coffee bar!

Dyautb2WwAAO6yQ.jpg

Almost as if a picture doesn't tell a story...

That must be the only time Powell moved.

Coughlan was animated for the entire game, encouraging his players constantly. Powell barely moved. I was so annoyed that he spent the first half just standing with a hang dog expression with his hands in his pockets. Motivate your team please Chris, before it's too late.

Would love to see our ball retention and pass completion stats from the game. Surely can’t make great reading :Facepalm:

Quick question; are the team / squad scared at playing at home?

I only ask (as a 0.5 STH) it seems that they'd rather play away, less supporting fans - less criticism, allows them to play with freedom = results.

I am s""t proud of being a supporter, I think we all are......all this stuff starts at home.....make home work, you have no fears going away.

Injuries , yep , very unlucky......howsabout a "call to arms"....play for the badge/club/fans and make us all proud...win, lose or draw
Scared ? Scared? We get 5-6000 not 35000 a few well deserved moans from a middle class set of fans ...... should be water off a ducks back for any man worth their sort, especially for someone who is a professional in this field knowing that crowd participation is all part of the game, always amazed me why People look into this so much ? Hayho maybe I’m different, but if someone’s try’s to mug me off or offend me in any way it makes my blood boil and make me more determined than ever .... not the opposite ....

John White has received criticism for booting it. But watch - when he gets the ball, the midfielders make no effort to move towards him to give him someone to pass to. As "the bloke behind me" said - there's nobody within 30 yards of him.

John White has received criticism for booting it. But watch - when he gets the ball, the midfielders make no effort to move towards him to give him someone to pass to. As "the bloke behind me" said - there's nobody within 30 yards of him.

That’s because the midfielders play so deep they may as well be in the back line with him. There’s no attacking outlet in our midfield

Back