• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Post-Match Thread and Ratings Southend United 1-2 Bristol Rovers

I wouldn't agree yet. However we've got a tough run of games coming up, if we lose the next 2 or 3 then nobody can keep their head in the sand.

After the Luton defeat many were saying 'we're comfortably mid table, no need to worry'. When Theo was loaned with no replacement, much the same 'no problem, we've got Kelman now'. I hope I'm wrong but I'm very worried after that performance, too many players seem disinterested. Powell needs some positive changes quickly or he's on borrowed time.
The positive changes were needed in the transfer window with the midfield being the priority. We are so unbalanced bossed about and overrun every game which explains why Mantom is running around like a headless chicken trying to do the work of three players.Having no play maker leaves the front men looking for scraps,and with no hard man/leader a weakened back line is exposed even more and the opposition run the midfield. Not replacing Wordsworth or Timlin adequately could cost Powell his job.

To everyone blaming the ref, second half one of their guys muscled Elvis to the floor and had the ball at his feet only a few yards out with just Bishop to beat, ref gave us a free kick, never a free kick, Elvis was simply outmuscled (again).

Whenever the ref makes a bad decision in our favour it never seems to be mentioned.

Been saying for months that Elvis isn’t good enough. I struggle to see any positives in his defensive play. He is not quick, he is not strong, he cannot head a ball, he panics in tight situations or when he is under pressure.

Apart from that, the lad is ok.

PS - he has been thrown in with virtually no other option.

That’s because the midfielders play so deep they may as well be in the back line with him. There’s no attacking outlet in our midfield

This is true but they’re not holding midfielders either... none of them can tackle and they give the opposition so much time to play it’s ridiculous

think someone else made a really good point about why Powell won't be losing his job anytime soon (haven't seen him mentioned as SCP much this thread?) basically, we can't afford to sack him and get someone else in. We're stuck with him and frankly after next week away at Charlton, I'm done.
Gash, Rubbish, Garbage pick anyone or all three - just hope there are four worst teams out there but on this showing I doubt it.

This is true but they’re not holding midfielders either... none of them can tackle and they give the opposition so much time to play it’s ridiculous

I agree but it’s obviously an instruction that they’re being told to do. You saw it for our goal yesterday, Dru was on the edge of the box and Dieng and Mantom were that deep that Sam Hart was infront of them. Far too deep against a side in the relegation zone and at no point did we ever take the game to them

How we let Timlin leave and replace him with Dieng will always be a criminal decision

Would love to see our ball retention and pass completion stats from the game. Surely can’t make great reading :Facepalm:

I took the time to do them for the Plymouth game and didn’t get one single comment or response to the post ?‍♂️?‍♂️

Agree, even the midfielders who have a creative outline and can tackle, and I am thinking McLaughlin here mainly, possibly Kightly, are both out of favour, and yet are both fit. When they were both deployed yesterday, I was fully expecting them both to be fired up and showing us all why they should be in the starting line up - but no, apart from some flashes of their old selves - nothing!

Makes me wonder why? If not part of the plans, why are they not out on loan? Or if they are in the plans, why are they not wanting to be out there week in week out?

Not sure what I can add to this, having listened to what Powell said before the match about starting on the front foot, been working all week to improve the supply to the forwards, I came in with high hopes but how wrong I was.

It looked like he'd told White and Turner to just lump it forward at every opportunity and for the midfield 3 to not communicate with each other at all so that all 3 went forward leaving a big hole behind them or all 3 stayed back leaving a big hole in front of them.

I don't think either full back plays well as a wing back and both looked better with a winger in front of them. Turner has gone, I'm afraid and White looked League 2 standard at best yesterday. Unless we get some players back from injury this week, I think our best formation with the current available squad could be:

Bishop

Elvis Dieng Moore Hart

Macca Dru Mantom Kightly

Humphrys Cox (c)​

It's not great but I think Dieng might offer more as a centre back than a midfielder where he seems to drift around. Neither winger is in great form, but until Bunn comes back they're all we've got and at least it gives some protection and the opportunity for an overlap for the full backs. I can't believe Cox wasn't made captain earlier in the season, he looks so much more of a leader on the pitch than Mantom does.

Moore played well after a shaky start.

The first game I saw this season was at home to Coventry where we played three centre-halves and the oppo found so much space in behind our wing-backs that it became open season for them. Coventry should have been 3-0 up after 30 minutes, including that one that crossed the line and was ruled out.

Fast forward to yesterday and it was exactly the same. The biggest farce was the one where the ball was loose just inside our half and everyone left it to each other, so their fella thinks "Oh well, I'll have that then, cheers!".

Liam Sercombe was quality for them early on and they just walked through our defence while everyone looked at each other. Nathan's double save was of the highest quality, but that was a sign that anything loose they were going to follow up and sure enough, that's where the first goal came from.

It's easy to blame players, but their heart isn't in playing this way. As soon as we switched at HT then the impetus was gained. However, Coghs was clever enough to adjust and we ran out of puff and ideas.

In short, we will get relegated playing like this at home. Something has to change because we won't pick 15 points up away!

Surprised not to hear about RM going in at either half- or full-time and reading the riot act (again ?). Assuming he was there of course - or maybe he'd left early too......

Appalling performance. Sturrock and Brown were sacked for serving up similar displays.

Up the Gas! How did we look? What do you guys think of Graham Coughlan?

Look OK. The keeper spilled both shots driven at him.

However, Liam Sercombe is a quality act and ran the midfield in the first 45 and the young guy up front - Gavin Reilly - had a bit about him and took his goal well.

Bringing Jonson Clarke-Harris on was a good move. He played well at our place for Coventry earlier in the season in the same role.

Last edited:
I had hoped that a night out with a few beverages would make writing my thoughts easier but in truth, the more I think about yesterdays performance the more ****ed off I become. It was appalling, shambolic.. a performance lacking any sort of confidence. Credit to Rovers, they came to the Hall with the intent on playing football, popping passes around and through our midfield/defence, making off the ball runs that weren't covered by anyone and just all round looked like a team that isn't sitting (before the game) 23rd in the league. In fact, if you were a neutral and just popped down to the game to enjoy a game of football then you'd have thought Southend were the side in the relegation zone after watching that.

I sat in the south upper yesterday and I couldn't believe how defensively bad we looked. We just don't have the players to play with 3/5 at the back. Far to often the Rovers attack simply walked through the big gaps between the three centre backs and I lost count how many times our wing backs were caught out of position leaving Rovers in behind every time. I'd be interested to know just how much work we do during the week in terms of team shape because to me it doesn't look like we do enough.

Sitting around different people is always interesting and I try to get involved in any chat that's going on around me regarding what's unfolding in front of us and quite honestly I was surprised by what I heard from one gentlemen. Plenty around me, especially first half were saying the same thing in regards to how the tactics and formation was in need of changing and a few us, rightly or wrongly pointed out just how poor Michael Turner had been. One gentlemen though I'm sure was either out to gain super fan points or is related to Michael Turner. "If you were Michael, would you play better if a someone kept calling you rubbish" is just one of the strange comments he made. I mean, Michael is a seasoned professional, I'm sure he has the mental strength to just ignore any type of negativity otherwise he wouldn't have survived in the game for as long as he has. The same gentlemen was also of the opinion that "you can't win every game".. well you're right, we don't win many but we should at least be able to see some effort from the lads, yesterday there was very little.

Now on to Powell, while I am not fully in the "Powell out" camp, after yesterday I am edging closer and closer to it. We are 2-0 down at home to a side 23rd in the league and there he stands, motionless. To be he just doesn't seem like a man who is able to motivate his players and that's just a recipe for disaster. Whilst I feel for him having so many injuries, I also question the need for continuing to play a formation that worked once but not has looked dodgy since and the horrible hoof the ball to the big man every opportunity. I'm fed up with it. The players don't look capable of putting a couple of passed together and for me that's down to poor coaching and match preparation. I want Powell to succeed here, I really do but I fear it will all end badly and we will be going in to next season with a new man in charge.

During the week, I was told on here that we were "safe from relegation and should just give the youngsters some valuable playing time for the rest of the season". What utter tosh. Anybody who doesn't think we are in danger of being dragged in to relegation scrap is deluded. We are 6 points from the bottom 4, we've lost more home games already this season than the whole of last season.. and it's on February. We have a tough run of fixtures coming up, I don't see where the next win comes from, We have a injured hit squad and we have a manager who continues to play a style of football with a formation that just isn't working for us. We even have people on here creating threads asking if we'd survive in the championship for god sake. Make no mistake about it, we are in a relegation battle.

Player ratings:

Bishop:- 5, an excellent double save in the first half. Could have done better with both goals.
Bwonomo:- 5, Poor going forward, poor defending. A player with no confidence.
Moore:- 6, his worst game in a blues shirt. Couple of key interceptions.
Turner:- 3, both goals came from his mistakes. Looks like a player coming to the end.
White:- 5, not much better, far to many long balls to no one in particular.
Hart:- 4, no better than Hendrie. 3 games, 3 yellow cards. Shocking hairstyle,
Yearwood:- 5, plenty of effort but far to many mistakes. Shadow of himself from last year.
Mantom:- 4, again lost possession in the midfield to often. Can't remember any forward pass.
Dieng:- 4, hardly noticed him playing. Offered absolutely nothing.
Humphrys:- 3, didn't win one header despite his size. Appalling body language second half.
Cox 6:- MOTM, plenty of effort but no help around him.

Kightly: 5- another meh performance from our highest earner.
McLaughlin: 5- tried a couple of things, gave us width until he was moved to left back.
Kelman: 6- was really given any time to show his talents.

Not the right time to ask us this question the defeat is still too raw. No disrespect to Rovers but you are 23rdfor a reason and we set up as if Barcelona were coming to town. Disgraceful tactics at home to a team sitting 23rd. Huddersfield couldn’t wait to get rid of Powell they hated his negative tactics and I can now see exactly what they meant Coughlan is a shouter and it does seems to motivate you guys. Don’t really feel much about Coughlan one way or the other. Powell on the other hand should shoulder some blame for that performance. Where is the player sweating blood for the team encouraging his team mates winning the ball and passing to a team mate we have no one even close to that. I feel the trapdoor could open for us very easily. L
When discussing at half time who we should swop out of the team, somebody suggested Coughlan for Powell.....nobody disagreed.

Look OK. The keeper spilled both shots driven at him.

However, Liam Sercombe is a quality act and ran the midfield in the first 45 and the young guy up front - Gavin Reilly - had a bit about him and took his goal well.

Bringing Jordan Clarke-Harris on was a good move. He played well at our place for Coventry earlier in the season in the same role.

Our keeper has been our player of the season so not too bothered about that.

Sercombe is class, glad we have kept hold of him.

I know you will see us as a shocking defeat and I wasn't there so can't judge but we do seemed to have turned a corner. I think we have lost something like 1 in 10. To be honest, from what I have seen, after Doncaster in 7th you could cast a net down for 8th to 23rd and there is not much between them. Wycombe are the worst team I've seen home and away for example and they are just outside those top 7!

Right, lets try and find a positive from yesterday. SUEPA have the answer.

From first to last yesterday Drewe Broughton proved to be a top ambassador for the club, signing autographs, having pics taken, meeting old friends and new, and generally just proved to be what a top bloke he is.

And he has just tweeted the following which I think the club will like:

[B]Drewe Broughton[/B]‏ @[B]DreweBroughton[/B] 10m10 minutes ago
More
Drewe Broughton Retweeted Southend United Ex-Players Association

I must say the welcome I was greeted with and the professionalism of Andy from the first email about the set up for the day was top class. I think it’s amazing a club treats it’s ex players so well. Thanks all... see you soon

So, onwards and upwards.

There is quite a bit more to come from SUEPA this season too, with a BIG event planned in partic for 30 March (news on that when I get things a little more sorted), we just need to capitalise on it more. Please keep supporting SUEPA in all that we do, something which you can easily do if not done so already by liking our Facebook page (loads of pics up from yesterday on that: https://www.facebook.com/SUEPAssoc/

... and/or following us on Twitter

UTB

This is why I did not want CP to take on the mantle of manager. His status of legend was always at risk of being tarnished. It's not that the chalice of managing us is poisoned but often the drink is closer to sewerage than it is champagne.

Now, this season has been rocky, and I preferred to wait until after Christmas to see how we are doing before being too concerned. Christmas is dead and buried and, unless we pull up our stockings, so are we.

The midfield is being slaughtered by many fans and. unusually for us, it is our weakest area. Hyam just cannot get a run of games and, if he had, he may have given us a bit of bite. Dieng has been a very poor player relative to his ability. Indeed, for me, he is the biggest culprit, the one who could have given so much more. Mantom just cannot captain such a disparate and motley crew. Dru has the look of a player whose heart is only fifty percent into what he is doing. McL is a shadow of himself and Kightley has not impressed me particularly since his return.

All these issues, in front of a injury ravaged back line, are doing their best to aid our plummet downwards.

CP has not, in my view, helped with his tactics and team selections. Right now he could pick a team of lions and they would curl up on the pitch like a bunch of purring pussies.

If we had a fully fit squad, it saddens me to say, I have seen nothing that makes me believe CP could make it perform to its best. Something is amiss.

Our keeper has been our player of the season so not too bothered about that.

Sercombe is class, glad we have kept hold of him.

I know you will see us as a shocking defeat and I wasn't there so can't judge but we do seemed to have turned a corner. I think we have lost something like 1 in 10. To be honest, from what I have seen, after Doncaster in 7th you could cast a net down for 8th to 23rd and there is not much between them. Wycombe are the worst team I've seen home and away for example and they are just outside those top 7!

Agreed on most sides being of a similar standard, hence why we are 12th having put in a number of abject displays this season.

What happened with the previous manager, as he seemed to be popular and getting results, but it then started to tail quite quickly. I guess selling key players doesn't help?

Wasn't at the game yesterday as just out of hospital, but listened to it on the radio.
Seems to me that the team itself is doing exactly the same as some others I could mention lately ie Man Utd and Chelsea in previous seasons ie cant be bothered as they have no respect for the manager.
Don't get me wrong I liked CP as a player, after all he was class in his time here but as a manager I'm not so sure. I'm getting the feeling that what with injuries, Players getting knackered (eg Drew, Elvis and few others I could mention). Plus the fact that the transfer window didn't really work for us. The club has as whole has let its head drop.
I mean what does it say to the players we have here when CP approaches several during the transfer window and keeps getting knocked back for various reasons? I'd be asking myself in their position ie the players we do have ("what the hell am I doing here?") and believe me I've experienced that in my own job. Its totally demoralizing.
CP needs to get the heads up on the team, the spirit seems be there (after all how many players have we heard from this year in the Echo ). Kick a few butts with the players who are not pulling their weight (after all being a nice guy only helps so much) and generally take a long hard look inside.
Sorry Chris as much as I like you and want you to do well with my beloved Southend UTD unless you do this I can only see one option happening RELEGATION and a P45.

Back