• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Post-Match Thread and Ratings Southend United 1-2 Bristol Rovers

While injuries are an excuse, they’re only half the problem, yet Powell thinks they are the entire problem. That’s the issue. He looks devoid as he thinks he can’t turn it around without the players injured, so he loses heart and motivation which transfers onto the players

Yesterday was desperately disappointing, but what other team could have picked without including from the start two desperately out of form players. With the right personnel 5 - 3 - 2 can very attack minded. However, on the evidence of yesterday neither Elvis or Hart look comfortable in that system.

My conclusions from yesterday.

Turner - Really has reached the end of a decent career.
Elvis - Looked far miore comfortable in a flat back 4. Gets isolated too quickly as a wing back.
Hart - Nothing special
Yearwood - Looked far more comfortable in a 4 man midfield and showed glimpses of last years form.
Mantom and Dieng - These two can't play together.
Humphrys - Starved of decent service but body language poor.
Kightly and McLaughlin - Both woefully out of form

The worrying part is we only have Lennon and Demetriou to come back in. I have discounted Bunn and Hyam as they both seem incapable of stringing 2 games together.

I am really concerned that the trapdoor is getting ever closer. I really want Chris Powell to succeed here and I am sure he will but needs a better hand of cards to play with. With our current form and upcoming fixtures, we could easily be very close to the bottom four by the time we have played Barnsley.

While injuries are an excuse, they’re only half the problem, yet Powell thinks they are the entire problem. That’s the issue. He looks devoid as he thinks he can’t turn it around without the players injured, so he loses heart and motivation which transfers onto the players

Absolutely spot on. He’s been falling over his bottom lip sulking since Hopper and Coker got injured

Despite the fact he signed or gave new deals to 9 of yesterday’s starting 11, he doesn’t show a lot of faith in their ability

Agreed on most sides being of a similar standard, hence why we are 12th having put in a number of abject displays this season.

What happened with the previous manager, as he seemed to be popular and getting results, but it then started to tail quite quickly. I guess selling key players doesn't help?

Darrell Clarke... he is a legend mate. He was offered the Leeds job a couple of years ago, decided to turn that down and sign a 5 year contract with us as we had new owners and were going to get a new stadium, training ground etc. As time has gone on, the goalposts were moved by the owners and he became disillusioned with where we were heading. We kept selling our best players and in the end he found it hard to keep replacing them and as much as us gasheads admired his honesty and loyalty with us, he became too vocal about the board in public. In his last interview on the radio they even edited some of it out on youtube because of how damning of them he was.

I really hope DC gets a good job elsewhere, he left a massive impression on us. In fact he could be a good option for you if CP went.

BRISTOL Rovers boss Graham Coughlan felt his side made their 2-1 win at Southend United ‘tougher than it needed to be.’

More...

Close, but looks offside from those highlights. Definitely not obviously onside. The ref and assistants did an adequate job yesterday IMO. Yet still there's a few who always try to shift the blame for a defeat on to them. It's becoming tiresome, we lost yesterday because of our players and management team.

Last edited:
Our home form is that bad that whenever the opposition have scored against us this season, we’ve lost

No score draws and any game we’ve won it’s been by goals to nil

That shows to me a complete negative mentality. As soon as a goal goes in our heads go

Great value for money from a season ticket. The ground should have emptied as soon as we went a goal down today because the stats will show you, we’re getting nothing

"Our" as in the fans or the players?

Certainly the fans weren't in the game (Roots Hall was really muted - and that's before kick-off, so not a reaction to the performance) until 1-0 down.

The players weren't in it until 2-0 down, when far from their heads going they picked it up.

Lots of observations saying we shouldn’t do this and shouldn’t do that....

Lots of people saying only 4/5 of this lot should play......

Lots of people saying things have to change....

Lots saying lots of players are ****....

No one offering any potential solutions other than play 442!

I’m not disagreeing that today’s psrformance was dog ****e and I’m not disagreeing that so we’re several players.....but offer some explanations....offer some thought into what you’d change and who you’d change.....otherwise all you’re doing is spouting rhetoric in hindsight both of which the staff and players cannot use before a game!!

Having said that, there’s been lots said that totally agree with on today’s game......but I’d also say most of that has been things I’ve observed / commented on, on here several times before...

This is one of the rare occasions I'd have started two wingers (McLaughlin and Hutchinson) in a 4-4-2 for this one as at home against a struggling team with a good defensive record we'd have needed the width to break them down. Next week I'd be looking for a more balanced midfield and so would go with one winger (Macca) and one wide midfielder who tucks in more (it's not his best position, but Mantom).

But I’ve learned that Southend fans (bless em) don’t do middle ground consistency and almost revel in the roller coaster of emotions that include elation and self harm!!

Spot on.

Everything has to be the best or the worst.

There's no room for nuance or shades of (Wayne) Gray.

Whilst I firmly believe players performances are more influential than formations I do concede that a mind set and tactics from that formation do play a part.....however I sometimes wonder if the obsession with 442 comes from our own ignorance or lack of tactical knowledge rather than the players inability to play anything else....

The key to it all other than oppositions set up like I’ve said a million times before is game plan and personnel.....532 or 352 can be attacking or defensive based on personnel....as can 442!

Today, like last week (and like Bradford) we started the game with just two attacking players in the pitch! That’s simply not acceptable at home for any club in the world regardless of whether the manager felt the formation works or not....the same formation can be used (if he favours it that much) with different personnel to achieve an attacking mindset....

Before anyone says it, Bradford it worked because we scored two very early goals and forced Bradford to gamble and leave more gaps whilst also knowing we didn’t need to score again.....

Second half today (first 15/20 mins of it) was definitely better.....but remember also, so was the last 15 mins of the first half....so was it formation or desire? Was it formation or work rate?

A few observations from me on today :-

Turner unfortunately has gone. He may give the odd performance when given a specific role but remember even that against Gillingham, the clean sheet actually masked a pretty poor performance where Eaves could well have scored 3. Sometimes players get to retire at the end of the season or know at the end of the season that it’s time.....but there no way of guaranteeing that.....and unfortunately for him it’s happened mid season.....no ones fault but he simply can’t give what his head knows he could or used to be able to...

Both Elvis and Sam Hart looked happier in a 4 and attacked from deeper.....

Sam Hart is only marginally better than Hendrie and that’s mainly because he’s better in the air...

The midfield three need to realise they are not untouchables. They don’t work as a three and none of them are creative or have a strikers instinct to run beyond the back four or get ahead of the ball....it killing us. All threes passing today as nothing short of atrocious...it’s not lack of effort it’s just poor passing! Maybe it’s just the chemistry of the three that affects them all becomes for a short spell both Mantom and Dru looked better when Dieng went off....

I’ve said it for weeks.....if Dieng is going to play he needs to slot into a back four alongside Moore. If not he doesn’t offer enough as a midfielder.

Dru is simply suffering from no pre season and intermittent training.....his greatest asset is his athleticism and without peak fitness levels he will struggle technically...probably why he’s still at Southend and not moved on. Today there were glimpses of good play but with 20 mins to go he ran out of gas and his whole game collapsed despite his best efforts.

Kightly looked as lively as I’ve seen him all season. If he can maintain that he needs to play each week. Macca unfortunately was a wasted sub and didn’t do enough. The decision to the move him to left back was strange but may have been due to Harts booking...

Another thing....and I said it at the time....Charlie Kelman isn’t a boy wonder. CP is chucking him on as a sub in desperation. He’s coming on without really having a position or a role as if someone’s just hoping he shoots from the halfway line each week! The goal was a wonder strike. Incredible opportunism and incredible confidence. But it was a freak strike! A once in a lifetime for about 20% of all footballers!!!! But throwing him on without a role upsets the balance of the team and each time I’ve seen him come on I couldn’t tell you the position he’s come on in or the formation we’ve finished the game with. Since that strike he’s not looked like scoring and he’s not looked like creating.....he will...and he will get us goals....and he is going to be a player...but he needs to be allowed to develop and he needs to consistently produce the goods at 23s level or on loan (in time) whilst dipping in and out of first team games before he will have learned enough craft to manage these situations. Chucking him on to save a side desperately low on confidence and desperately short of leaders and desperately short of creativity isn’t going to help him and neither will over excitement and over expectation from us.....

Lastly, I cannot fathom for the life of me why 4231 (which very quickly morphs into 442 or 4411 depending on situations) isnt or hasn’t been favoured either by the club or by you lot!!! Our squad and our strengths are crying out for it.....Cox is not a Cf but with Humphrys in the side he can link up from deeper and allow both wide players to cut in, link up, give width or actually even run in behind opposition defences!!! I know you want two forwards but in that formation we will have 4 forward players in the side!!!!

Good post.

Kightly did look good for about 30 minutes but then faded. I think he'll start next week but he doesn't look like he can play consecutive games to me. This team has far too many players who have lost their pace - Kightly, Turner, White, Cox and it lacks players with pace to compensate for them.

It's painful watching Kightly and to a lesser extent Cox attempt to get beyond defenders, they knock the ball past them only for the defender to catch up. That's something that Turner certainly isn't doing in defence (thank God it's only a one year deal and not the two we gave Anton) whilst White looks like he's hiding to avoid his lack of legs being exposed.

We have somehow ended up with a back 7 that has nobody between the ages of 22 and 32. The kids are raw and the old pros can't run. It's a recipe for disaster.

Bishop cost us another goal - probably the third that he's conceded that Oxley wouldn't have (he was far from the only one to blame). He's going to have ups and downs and we're going through his growing pains. That's a price I'm prepared to pay. We saw his upside with a fantastic second save. As long as he learns we'll be better off in the long term.

Taylor Moore was carrying both centre-halves. I'd pair Dieng with Moore until Lennon is fit -please let that be soon.

It worries me that the one area of our squad that hasn't been decimated by injuries is our midfield, and yet its the weakest part of our team currently. If that's our first choice midfield then god help us!

Our best midfield contains the much maligned Hyam. Unfortunately he can't stay fit.

First half I couldn’t work out what formation we were playing. Start of second half, 2 subs and we clearly switch to 442. First 10mins of second half and we’re electric. The next 35mins were the usual dross. Omg, we need some strategy and tactics. What do they do at boots and laces??!!!

First half was 3-5-2.

Quick question; are the team / squad scared at playing at home?

Yes and it clearly shows. Too many players afraid of making mistakes.

They are leaving it for others.

YouTube highlights show the offside goal, it's tight but Cox looks to run a second too early to me.

It's amazingly tight. If you freeze the action as it leaves Macca's foot, there are 2 players in front of him. The furthest one back looks to just about to be in line with Cox. The guy nearest to Cox is further forward than Cox so not playing Cox on, but the guy in front of Macca looks to be in Iine. Obviously by the time the lino looks, Cox is going to be in an offside position but that's always the difficulty for linos

It's amazingly tight. If you freeze the action as it leaves Macca's foot, there are 2 players in front of him. The furthest one back looks to just about to be in line with Cox. The guy nearest to Cox is further forward than Cox so not playing Cox on, but the guy in front of Macca looks to be in Iine. Obviously by the time the lino looks, Cox is going to be in an offside position but that's always the difficulty for linos
It's definitely tight but he looks marginally off to me, the rule is that every part of the body (excluding hands) has to be behind the last defender, and because he's leaning forwards Cox's head looks to be ahead of the last man. Screenshot_20190203-142941.jpg

Sorry quite right it was dru, I am so used to it being Elvis outmuscled , I forget it was dru. Didn’t look a foul to me
Fair enough. Dru chased him back from inside the BR half. Pushed him wide, got in front of him and then was clipped. When the ref gave a foul a bloke near me shouted abuse at yearwood.

It's definitely tight but he looks marginally off to me, the rule is that every part of the body (excluding hands) has to be behind the last defender, and because he's leaning forwards Cox's head looks to be ahead of the last man. View attachment 7176

Unless there's anyone out of that picture then he is offside.

Both defenders feet are along the same line and Cox is leaning ahead of both feet, good decision for a change, typical!

its not very often the Zone is in such agreeance, there's not many arguments today. That probably tells you all you need to know about the sorry state we find ourselves in

Darrell Clarke... he is a legend mate. He was offered the Leeds job a couple of years ago, decided to turn that down and sign a 5 year contract with us as we had new owners and were going to get a new stadium, training ground etc. As time has gone on, the goalposts were moved by the owners and he became disillusioned with where we were heading. We kept selling our best players and in the end he found it hard to keep replacing them and as much as us gasheads admired his honesty and loyalty with us, he became too vocal about the board in public. In his last interview on the radio they even edited some of it out on youtube because of how damning of them he was.

I really hope DC gets a good job elsewhere, he left a massive impression on us. In fact he could be a good option for you if CP went.

Cheers, GGMI.

Personally, I think you'll avoid the drop from what I saw yesterday.

Possibly replaced by us lot!

I packed the laundry and left the house. It's an unofficial agreement with my other half that I drop it off to the launderette on the way to the game and collect it on the way home. Fair enough. I headed to Stratford station: about a 10-15 minute walk depending on how effectively you can bash your way through the old Stratford shopping centre and dodge the nutjobs who yell or sing about how Jesus will save me. As you can imagine, the bible bashers are not popular with the homeless. Almost as annoying as the misuse of apostrophe's.

On to Wet Spam and I was a little concerned; I'd left with plenty of time to spare but there was a sizeable queue with people pondering how to use the machines. In fairness, while I use machines all the time at stations, these ones are a bit unique in that the card slot is way below the screen, not to the side. Ideally there would be a member of staff there to help but obviously they were still partying about having no toilet facilities. Thankfully I made the platform with 2 minutes to spare.

I looked at the teamsheet at 2pm. 3-5-2 again. Sigh. To be honest the whole formation argument isn't an exact science to me. During my time playing two games a weekend I played for two clubs who used the 3-5-2 system. The Saturday team were terrible using that system but it was absolutely made for the Sunday team, who had players who were flexible and comfortable in several areas of the pitch.

Nevertheless I was cautiously optimistic but that was quickly quashed. Brizzle were no mugs; they played some really nice stuff and could have been 3-0 up in the first 10 minutes. I was hoping that it would be like the Accrington game when they paid for not taking their chances but hell no. Mis-communication between Turner and Bishop led to an easy tap-in and a superb counter-attack made it 2-0.

We were were bloody awful but what I did notice was that Brizzle had the wind heavily in their favour. If we could keep this to 2-0 we were still in with a shout in the second half. Then Cox scored and we were genuinely back in the game.

Two positive subs and a change of shape later and we came out all guns blazing. I was genuinely confident that we would win. Brizzle seemed like they were struggling with the wind - I know I was, brrrr etc - like we had been in the first 45 mins and they were a little bit panicky. Admittedly they then broke clear on the counter and hit the bar. Lucky escape? Well yes but we were still on the front foot.

Then Coughlan made what looked like an inspired sub and we could no longer dominate. But hang on, what was this? A fine effort from McLaughlin, parried and in by Cox! Out of nothing we were level. But the balloon effect kicked in as I glanced at the lino, who was probably right to rule it out.

After that, bloody awful again. Easy passes going astray, loss of shape, no movement, clearly knackered, with a loss of confidence as well. The clock ticked down and it was obvious we weren't going to snatch anything. We could barely get out of our half. Possibly the worst home performance I've seen since the 2-0 defeat by Fleetwood a couple of seasons ago.

Bishop: Partially at fault for the first goal, no chance with the second. Wonderful double save in the early stages.

Back three: Moore impressive again. White (I think) made a stunning block in the opening minutes. Turner? Er, not very good.

Wing-backs: Hart looks decent with the ball but godawful without it. Elvis tried his best and in fairness was pivotal in our goal. Still out of his depth defensively, though.

Midfield: Terrible. Like last week Mantom started well but was later exposed by his shambolic colleagues. Dieng needs a good kick up the backside while baby Dru again was weak, albeit his shot leading to Cox's goal. Should have been subbed after his yellow card as he bottled every tackle after that.

Up front: Cox is seriously wasted in our team. One of a few to get credit. Humphrys was hit and miss. Didn't win enough headers but made some good runs and put in a few dangerous crosses.

Subs: Kites and Macca started very well but faded, which is pretty poor in 45 minutes, although in fairness the latter was moved to LB and couldn't do much from there. Kelman didn't really have an impact.

SCP: Will hopefully have learned from this that 3-5-2 is too negative at home with the players we have. No Coker, no Demi and an out-of-form Dru means we're too predictable.

The ref: Very good, got most decisions right.

The opposition: Coughlan is clearly working wonders with his team. Played some very decent football. Should stay up.

Overall: Absolutely dreadful performance but we now have two away games in a row and it might be a blessing in disguise. A breather from a toxic Roots Hall and now might be a good time to play Charlton as I believe they had quite a few ins and outs during the transfer window and sometimes that can backfire.

I have waited 24 hours to post, after what I witnessed yesterday.
What I cant get my head round, is it was more or less the same side that I saw beat
Bradford City 4-Nil.
What it appears to me is confidence, look at the time of the first goal at Bradford.
We cant always make always make excuses about the ref/lino was poor it works both ways.!!

Just over a minute at Bradford we scored, and we looked a Automatic promotion team. Against Luton a Mid table team. Well you know my next comment yesterday. A relegation team.!!

Confidence. At Bradford the supporters were jumping up and down cheering etc.
Yesterday well I have experienced more atmosphere at a funeral. It effect the players.
No I am not looking for excuses, but good players don't become bad players overnight.

I before the game said a 5-3-2, Whats bad, both Elvis and Hart are not wing backs.

It leaves massive gaps, which our mid field cant cope with. Now I know Kightly is not ever ones cup of tea. However him with probaly Hutchinson sometimes Mc Laughlin, and Mantom and Dru, or Hyam in midfield. With Humphreys and Cox up front gives us better attacking options. Yes. Chris we can then cross into the box, with much more option,s from who the ball, can be put in the onion bag by.
At the back I am starting to see Turner is shot, J.W. has always been a makeshift defender. Leaving Taylor as first choice. Is Deing the option there, or one of the other two till lennon comes back.
Yes injuries don't help but Chris something has to change. No he does not deserve the sack, but many more would join in too sack him if his name was Tango man.
Food for thought.!! I will still go to Charlton on Saturday.

Back