• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Post-Match Thread and Ratings Southend United 1-2 Bristol Rovers

For me, when you are at home, you have to attack with a high tempo, if you don't start positive you allow the opposition, (irrespective of whether you are a Luton or a Bristol Rovers/Plymouth) to get the upper hand and dictate.

Powell's comments last week, for me spoke volumes. He said we lost, because we switched off at a set piece. Not because we didn't create enough chances, or because we were poor taking our chances, or the keeper/defence played a blinder...etc. We will not go through matches not conceding. Therefore when playing at home he has to set the team up with attacking options. Paul Clark on BBC Essex before the game hit the nail on the head when asked about the team line up and sadly he was proved correct.

What is it with playing Bristol Rovers.

That's three years on the trot we've saved our most inept performance for them.

At least the other two were at their place, but we've even started doing it at home!

For me, when you are at home, you have to attack with a high tempo, if you don't start positive you allow the opposition, (irrespective of whether you are a Luton or a Bristol Rovers/Plymouth) to get the upper hand and dictate.

pretty much summed up what has been happening at home recently. We are letting teams play with very little pressure.

Right, lets try and find a positive from yesterday. SUEPA have the answer.

From first to last yesterday Drewe Broughton proved to be a top ambassador for the club, signing autographs, having pics taken, meeting old friends and new, and generally just proved to be what a top bloke he is.

And he has just tweeted the following which I think the club will like:

[B]Drewe Broughton[/B]‏ @[B]DreweBroughton[/B] 10m10 minutes ago
More
Drewe Broughton Retweeted Southend United Ex-Players Association

I must say the welcome I was greeted with and the professionalism of Andy from the first email about the set up for the day was top class. I think it’s amazing a club treats it’s ex players so well. Thanks all... see you soon

So, onwards and upwards.

There is quite a bit more to come from SUEPA this season too, with a BIG event planned in partic for 30 March (news on that when I get things a little more sorted), we just need to capitalise on it more. Please keep supporting SUEPA in all that we do, something which you can easily do if not done so already by liking our Facebook page (loads of pics up from yesterday on that: https://www.facebook.com/SUEPAssoc/

... and/or following us on Twitter

UTB
I wonder how we will treat some of these pretenders that played today in the future.

Defending was woeful. They were just putting balls over the top as they had a couple of lads with some pace and we just couldn’t deal with it at all.

Bishop, Moore and Cox didn’t disgrace themselves and I actually thought Dru was mostly very good. He’s so frustrating though as he overplays so often. Numerous times he took a touch and could’ve played an easy ball, but decided to take a few more touches, invited pressure and lost it. Needs to improve his decision making.

First time seeing Hart too and can’t say I was impressed. Thought he was really poor and no better than Hendrie. Hopefully just an off game.

SOUTHEND United manager Chris Powell felt the formation was not to blame for Blues’ 2-1 defeat to Bristol Rovers on Saturday.

More...

HOME may often be where the heart is – but nothing could be further from the truth for Southend United this season.

More...

Interesting bit of information - my son was travelling by train to meet friends in London after the game on Saturday. He was changing trains in South London and got on with and sat opposite a guy with a Bristol Rovers top on and so asked him if he was at the game. It turns out it was their Right Back, Joe Partington!

They had a good chat for about 10 minutes and my son asked him about what prep. they had done on Southend. He said they'd been told to stop us scoring for the first half hour and the crowd would really get on the player's backs. My son said wasn't it like that everywhere and he said, no you could feel it much more on Saturday than at the Memorial Stadium when Rovers failed to score.

He also said that it gave them all sorts of problems when we switched formations in the second half , but their players couldn't understand why we didn't keep trying to play it down the wings and reverted to lumping over the top! Safe to say they were relieved that we stopped doing what seemed to be working for us!

Therefore it wasn't Coughlan making any tactical changes to counteract it, we just stopped playing that way,

It was not my selections to blame for never winning the pools. Damn those fickle permutations that never put a shift in for me.

Interesting bit of information - my son was travelling by train to meet friends in London after the game on Saturday. He was changing trains in South London and got on with and sat opposite a guy with a Bristol Rovers top on and so asked him if he was at the game. It turns out it was their Right Back, Joe Partington!

They had a good chat for about 10 minutes and my son asked him about what prep. they had done on Southend. He said they'd been told to stop us scoring for the first half hour and the crowd would really get on the player's backs. My son said wasn't it like that everywhere and he said, no you could feel it much more on Saturday than at the Memorial Stadium when Rovers failed to score.

He also said that it gave them all sorts of problems when we switched formations in the second half , but their players couldn't understand why we didn't keep trying to play it down the wings and reverted to lumping over the top! Safe to say they were relieved that we stopped doing what seemed to be working for us!

Therefore it wasn't Coughlan making any tactical changes to counteract it, we just stopped playing that way,

DT2G6GhXUAAstfC.jpg

If it wasn't the formation, why change it at half time?!

Because it was not the formation to get back into the game

I think he has a point, if the Midfield had tuned up on Saturday , other than a brief cameo by Dru in the 41st minute, then the Formation would have worked (it certainly did against Bradford)

Ahh so its the fans fault then

How long before CP all Kloppy on us and blames the conditions instead of putting any of the blame on himself?

Klopp can get away with it as his team performs more often than not. If a team is performing and there is a variable (like the weather) in one match it is a feasible that that could be the issue. If you are rubbish most of the time the spotlight is very much on the team/management

How long before CP all Kloppy on us and blames the conditions instead of putting any of the blame on himself?
I've never really understood why people don't think conditions have an impact on a match, it's pretty clear they do. If the wind is with you for example then your shots are going to have a lot more power behind them so long shots become a much more viable strategy. It's about using tactics that suit the conditions instead of assuming they'll work in all conditions.

Back