• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

That was, without fear of argument, a master class example of defending. Sadly his mistake for their first goal was at the other end of the spectrum.

I'm certainly not defending the mistake for their goal, but what I don't understand is their were other mistakes made (Ok, not as punished as that one) but there aren't 4 pages on those calling for them to retire.

Besides, even with his mistake, he still had a better game than McG!!

I'm certainly not defending the mistake for their goal, but what I don't understand is their were other mistakes made (Ok, not as punished as that one) but there aren't 4 pages on those calling for them to retire.

Ferdinand comes in for heavier criticism, because he's visibly been on the wane from the start of the season. Even against Blackburn on the opening day, he looked a liability & a totally different player from the one we had last season. He's either injured or shot to pieces.

I wasn't having a swipe Jay, in fact I have stayed out of the majority of the debates on yesterday as most of them were just getting on my tits at the amount of repetition currently. I agree with you regarding McG, he had a mare but so did quite a few of them yesterday. Ironically, I thought that Kightly had the best game I've seen from him and he lasted 95 minutes as well.

Until we have two separate threads, Match Ratings and Match Rantings there is no point in posting on this one.

Are people not allowed to talk about the match outside of giving someone a rating? Most people seem to be talking about how we played and went well and what didn't. Should they not be discussed here as they relate to how a player performed or how we set up?

Are people not allowed to talk about the match outside of giving someone a rating? Most people seem to be talking about how we played and went well and what didn't. Should they not be discussed here as they relate to how a player performed or how we set up?

Er? I just did a dip sample of a page on this thread and the majority of posts are about brown out, relegation etc NOT the match or the players.
And now me (and you) are adding to that.:blush::facepalm:

I wasn't having a swipe Jay, in fact I have stayed out of the majority of the debates on yesterday as most of them were just getting on my tits at the amount of repetition currently. I agree with you regarding McG, he had a mare but so did quite a few of them yesterday. Ironically, I thought that Kightly had the best game I've seen from him and he lasted 95 minutes as well.

Sorry, I wasn't suggesting you were; I was actually in agreement with you (it was aimed at those that seem to always single out an individual whereas it's more than one player that is the issue at the moment) but probably didn't word it very well :happy:

Er? I just did a dip sample of a page on this thread and the majority of posts are about brown out, relegation etc NOT the match or the players.
And now me (and you) are adding to that.:blush::facepalm:

If we keep playing as poorly as yesterday, we will be relegated and the main reason for that is the poor management we have. Both points are relevant

If we keep playing as poorly as yesterday, we will be relegated and the main reason for that is the poor management we have. Both points are relevant

There is no fooling you is there! Who would have thought that keep playing poorly with poor team selection and no points and we would get relegated! WOW, just WOW! True insight of vast magnitude!:Worthy::Worthy::Worthy:

What would be good to discuss is a what actually we (as a team) did well, ok and poorly and how does the situation get improved. Moaning and calling for "sack brown" etc is understandable but that is for Ron and I do not think Ron will be moved to act by us clogging threads with the same same same .

Anton made some silly errors, rightly subbed etc and the players didn't perform with skill or to any plan A.
What should Brown have done?
For me, stick to a 4 4 2; play MAF and Cox, play MacL, give Wabo a start, sign a midfield battler and only play fully fit players etc.

or alternatively just moan and cry about it. Man Up FFS.

There is no fooling you is there! Who would have thought that keep playing poorly with poor team selection and no points and we would get relegated! WOW, just WOW! True insight of vast magnitude!:Worthy::Worthy::Worthy:

What would be good to discuss is a what actually we (as a team) did well, ok and poorly and how does the situation get improved. Moaning and calling for "sack brown" etc is understandable but that is for Ron and I do not think Ron will be moved to act by us clogging threads with the same same same .

Anton made some silly errors, rightly subbed etc and the players didn't perform with skill or to any plan A.
What should Brown have done?
For me, stick to a 4 4 2; play MAF and Cox, play MacL, give Wabo a start, sign a midfield battler and only play fully fit players etc.

or alternatively just moan and cry about it. Man Up FFS.

Well I was going to reply on some of the more sensible parts of your post but as you are being a sarky sod I can't be arsed

Can't wait for the DVD of the first half to come out. What a treat it'll be to re-live those 45 minutes.

Wabo looked lively at least.

Chips from the Fish House were excellent as usual.

I have nothing more to add.

Lot of talk about losing Leonard, Ranger leaving etc and the fact we desperately need replacements

how ironic therefore that both the Fleetwood goals were scored by debutants for them

For my part, I think we should go back to 4-4-2 but that reminds me to ask what formation did others think Fleetwood were playing?

Was their no. 23 (? Shwabl) playing as a sweeper? Surely we won't come up against that too often. And I am also right in thinking playing 2 wingers against a sweeper was (potentially) a good idea.

P.S. Apologies for discussing the match :whistling:

Last season we should have made at least the play offs,but form fizzled out & we missed out by one point. At the start of this season I felt optimistic that the squad would get us out of League 1. Unless there's a drastic improvement in motivation,performance & results then Blues will be leaving League 1, but in the wrong direction. King Midas in reverse!

Until we have two separate threads, Match Ratings and Match Rantings there is no point in posting on this one.
This post sums up the match atmosphere .
The players have no confidence and are scared to try things in case they get grief from the crowd. How does not posting help maters?

I see few matches each season but have seen the last two. Both were very similar in that my expectations were low beforehand and the matches themselves followed a similar pattern. Just as at Northampton, the first half saw too poor teams produce a turgid half, and the then the wheels fell off for Blues in the second half. Dempsey (8) and Hunter(22) became increasingly influential with their speed and quick thinking. And then came the introduction of Madden, with its almost inevitable conclusion. He helped in the build up to the first goal and scored the second. Immediate reward for Rosler in his midweek signing after Diacouraga scored the first on debut. No talking about irons in the fire from the German, he just went out and got his men.

Kightly scored with a wickedly deflected top spinner and Wabo did well on home debut after impressing in his cameo at Sixfields. Shame he couldn't have got more on the final chance in the frantic minutes of overtime but he must be worth a start. His earlier rasping drive really stung the keeper's hands. Honourable mentions for Coker who coped very well in an unfamiliar role and Kightly who was much more effective than at Sixfields in a more central role.

The knocking of long balls to Cox never seems to change. Has nobody worked out that he thrives on low balls into the box from players out wide who have run into a channel? Bolger has never had an easier afternoon, heading everything powerfully back from whence it came. We are toothless up front, never really threatening to open up the opposition with speed of movement and thought.

I fully expected the crowd reaction to going two down to be ugly but not so. Yes, some Brown "time to go" shouts but the apathy affecting the team seemed to have got to the fans, almost accepting yet another horrible defeat. These are desperate times, the club seemingly sliding inexorably into the drop zone. The bizarre post match comments from PB were truly those of someone who has lost the plot. But RM seems content to let him soldier on, but for how long? Surely RM is not going to leave it until too late to make a change? The transfer window is shortening with very passing day and no new players signed despite all the usual talk of six or seven targets. RM and PB must have known that Lenny would move on in all probability so where was the planning for the succession?

I osscilate between anger and apathy over the current position. Anger because things could and should have been so much better with this squad, apathy because of the feeling that nothing changes week after week, so why should I get worked up about it when all the signals from the Hall are that things will not change. Sleep walking to relegation? Please God no, but the portents are not encouraging.

Absolutely spot on post. Almost given up caring after 32 years, probably as if I didn’t I would get too angry and upset at the lack of light at the end of a very dark tunnel

FWIW

Within 10 minutes the game plan seemed obvious. That was to smash the ball at pretty much every opportunity in what I can only assume was hope that their 2 giant CBs would slip on our dodgy pitch and leave Cox 1 on 1. Lumping the ball up to Cox, a 5 foot something striker against Bolger. Good tactics Phil. The less said about the rest of that half the better.

Their managers half time team talk must have been easy. They looked fairly happy with a point in the first half but after seeing that knew the chances would come. Then our experienced captain decides to give the ball away to the opposition. That's not even the worst bit. The worst bit is getting weighed by Paddy Madden and falling on his fat arse as if he was playing against Akinfenwa. Again FWIW I don't agree with bashing our own players but there's only so much people can take. Constantly playing him when he's looked unfit / disinterested all season (we all know of these reasons) is just asking for trouble. I'd have more respect for him if he just held his hands up and admitted he isn't good enough anymore.

The second was just an awful goal to concede defensively, about 5 people had an involvement in that one.

3 years since leaving and we're still playing a system that suits Barry Corr and we still haven't replaced him. Not only is this embarrassing on the recruitment, it's absolutely ludicrous that we continue to play the tactic when we don't have the personnel to fit.

Would I sack PB? Yes. Do I think it's going to do anything? Not really. I'd be amazed if we stayed up now in all honesty. Lack of passion, lack of leadership, lack of desire, lack of characters. If the rumours of the length of the offer to Tony Craig are true then it sums up the recruitment policy currently and I'll seriously have to consider renewing my season ticket next season. I don't mind losing, I really don't. We lost 4-2 to Sheffield United last season and I actually enjoyed the game. They were a class above and we just got outplayed on the day. But losing to teams that are in and around us that show more commitment and desire to win is just depressing to see.

FWIW

Within 10 minutes the game plan seemed obvious. That was to smash the ball at pretty much every opportunity in what I can only assume was hope that their 2 giant CBs would slip on our dodgy pitch and leave Cox 1 on 1. Lumping the ball up to Cox, a 5 foot something striker against Bolger. Good tactics Phil. The less said about the rest of that half the better.

Their managers half time team talk must have been easy. They looked fairly happy with a point in the first half but after seeing that knew the chances would come. Then our experienced captain decides to give the ball away to the opposition. That's not even the worst bit. The worst bit is getting weighed by Paddy Madden and falling on his fat arse as if he was playing against Akinfenwa. Again FWIW I don't agree with bashing our own players but there's only so much people can take. Constantly playing him when he's looked unfit / disinterested all season (we all know of these reasons) is just asking for trouble. I'd have more respect for him if he just held his hands up and admitted he isn't good enough anymore.

The second was just an awful goal to concede defensively, about 5 people had an involvement in that one.

3 years since leaving and we're still playing a system that suits Barry Corr and we still haven't replaced him. Not only is this embarrassing on the recruitment, it's absolutely ludicrous that we continue to play the tactic when we don't have the personnel to fit.

Would I sack PB? Yes. Do I think it's going to do anything? Not really. I'd be amazed if we stayed up now in all honesty. Lack of passion, lack of leadership, lack of desire, lack of characters. If the rumours of the length of the offer to Tony Craig are true then it sums up the recruitment policy currently and I'll seriously have to consider renewing my season ticket next season. I don't mind losing, I really don't. We lost 4-2 to Sheffield United last season and I actually enjoyed the game. They were a class above and we just got outplayed on the day. But losing to teams that are in and around us that show more commitment and desire to win is just depressing to see.
The part about Barry Corr just sums it up. PB has a single way of playing no matter what the personnel is, I guess the saying you cannot teach an old dog new tricks fits rather well.

It's okay though, 32 year old Tony Craig will sure up the defence! Honestly we have the single worst transfer policy followed shortly by Arsenal!

FWIW

There us no shame in losing any game. It happens to all teams but strangely it’s about ‘Losing Well’. Being outplayed by a superior team is always going to happen, however like you say being outfort by very average and indeed poor sides over the last few months is totally unacceptable. Lack of of an alternative game plan, poor and continuous changes in team selections not all which were enforced, lack of ambition and there us clearly now a lack of confidence within the players. These are all the responsibility of the manager no one else. The recruitment and far to many calculated risks with older/injured players again is down to the manager and even when a few loan players inevitably do sign I cannot see making too much difference.
The slide down the table continues and without huge changes relegation is a very distinct likelyhood.

Back