• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

There was a point in the first half where we had 4 full backs on the pitch and none of them playing at full back. We then ended the game with a back 4 all made up of full backs ��������������

There was a point in the first half where we had 4 full backs on the pitch and none of them playing at full back. We then ended the game with a back 4 all made up of full backs ��������������

And to be perfectly clear our chairman and still some supporters trust his recruitment policy to turn this round...in two weeks. Holy crap

Very strange by Phil today, and I've backed him. Should have learnt his lesson with playing Woody when injured, who has been dire in the middle because of injury. But no, he has Two centre backs carrying injuries, and plays them both. Turner has his knee strapped, which may or may not have led to him pulling his calf during the game. Either way, he obviously has knee trouble. Ferdinand is to one side before the game stretching and stuff, and does not look right. Big shock, they both have to come off. Then we have no proper dominant centre back. White is still a right back playing as a centre back. He looked good at first when played there, but now he's not so good in that role getting caught out and passed by strikers, and has become a hoof ball merchant in possession. So we had Two left backs and Two right backs near the back, shocking. Playing injured players does no one any good. When will he learn? Now Turner and Ferdinand are out, which puts us even more in the doo doo. I like Ferdinand as a player, but he's one that can't play with 70% fitness. Tims was a great player, one of the first on the team sheet years ago, but sadly giving the ball away too often and can't run fast enough back when he does, like he used to. Add all that to our striking and midfield problems, then staying up will be fantastic.
I can't say there was lack of effort today, but the confidence, quality and goal threat wasn't there. Kightly tried much harder than usual and McLaughlin ran himself into the ground.

So to clarify, 75% of Zoners would prefer Brown gone, but that figure doesn't carry over to Roots Hall, where the majority of fans want Brown in?

Fake news? Oh the irony.

Lets see, off the top of my head we've had... Corr, Hunt, Worrall, Atkinson, Thompson & Bolger all want to leave the club, due to the management. At the moment there's rumours that several first teamers want away from the club. Just a few weeks ago Brown dropped a couple citing attitude problems. We've gone from a play-off chasing team to a relegation worthy team overnight. Add those factors together & it's fairly obvious what's occurring. If you don't want to see that, that's your prerogative.

in terms of point one I am just pointing out that Shrimperzone does not necessarily represent the views of all Southend fans and indeed, as with any poll, those against the status quo usually feel more compelled to express their disdain than those that are for maintaining the status quo . . if there is irony in that then you will have to explain where.

in respect of Messrs Corr, Hunt, Worrall etc I think those examples weaken your argument rather than strengthen it. When the club signed the likes of Ranger, Cox, McCloughlin, Kightly, Ferdinand and Kiernan to replace those guys I didn't hear too many people lamenting their departures or complaining that the club had not traded up. Quite the contrary. The people you mention were either out the team, coming to the end of their careers and/or looking for more contract security/game-time than we were prepared to guarantee them. I didn't lament any of their departures and whilst, with the benefit of hindsight, some of our new signings have not worked out in the way we all hoped I'm pretty confident with the likes of Messrs Corr, Hunt, Worrall etc in the team last year we could well be plying our trade in L2 already. They have hardly set the world alight themselves since they left us have they?

I'm not aware of anyone wanting away - you will have to enlighten me there. I know that there are few that want their contracts extended - but frankly based on their performances on the pitch (and one of them off the pitch) I don't blame the club for not bring forthcoming here either. By the way EVERY club in the country have at least a couple of players who are 'unhappy' for one reason or another be it discrepancy in pay, not first choice, think they are better than the manager credits them, is homesick etc etc. When teams are winning games nobody cares (least of all fans). When teams are going through a tough spell the conspiracy theorists get to work.

Good to see Ron's meetings had a positive effect!:thumbsup: Phil dug his own grave today, one up front against a team we should be capable of beating, plus the continued blind faith in Anton :nope: That should be the last straw for me.

For what it's worth, I'm not totally against one up front. After all, Brown won promotion largely playing BBBC as a lone striker. However Corr was suited to the role, Cox couldn't be further removed :facepalm:. Let's not forget Brown tried Cox as a lone striker at home to Fleetwood last season, we produced our worst home performance of the year, leading to calls for him to leave. I assume he doesn't learn from his own mistakes.

Oxley 6 - Okay, good kicking.

Demetriou 6 - Tried his best, didn't do much wrong.
White 4 - Poor, terrible 'defending' led to the free kick where Fleetwood hit the post in the first half. I'm usually a fan of White but felt he looked a little half arsed today.
Ferdinand 3 - An accident waiting to happen. Needs benching permanently, error after catastrophic error, if we do go down Brown's blind faith in him will be partly to blame.
Turner 6 - Dominant in the air before his injury.
Coker 5 - Okay as wing back, not a central defender. Again, Brown doesn't learn. Coker was poor when he played him in this position towards the end of 15/16, yet he reverts to the same mistake. :dim:

McGlashen 5 - Worked hard, but little to no real impact.
Timlin 6 - Best player in the first half, in fact that's the best I've seen him play in ages. Sadly after the break he gave the ball away too much.
Kightly 5 - Ridiculous to play him as a defensive midfielder. Didn't look comfortable and his only tackles were diving lunges. Got a fortuitous goal, but at least he took a shot.
Mclaughlin 5 - No where near his best right now. A big disappointment this season considering what he's capable of.

Cox 5 - Worked hard, no impact, not a line front man:sad:

Subs
Hendrie 5 - Looked lost, did okay going forward at times.
Fortune 6 - At least retained possession.
Wabo 7 - Seemed to spark a renewed effort in the last 10 minutes. Showed more today than I've seen from Robinson and Ba in previous games.

Please Phil save face and resign now. We never looked like winning today against an ordinary team, how are you going to change it around? If not, Ron, I admire your loyalty but enough's enough, pull that trigger now before it's too late.

They'd have been celebrating much earlier if it wasn't for the bar, around the 10 minute mark. Fine lines is right.

And there's no maybe about it, those statistics are abysmal & deserving of ridicule at any level

and their first goalscorer wouldn't have been on the pitch had the referee done his job properly. Fine lines indeed.

look we could go on like this all night. You have made your mind up in terms of the way forward and you are absolutely entitled to do so. Just remember for over 100 years this club has spent what than 5 (?) outside the third and fourth tier. Therefore simply competing in the third tier which I'm 100% sure we will be again next season is a not insignificant achievement and we would all do well to remember that. I'm sure the likes of Torquay, Tranmere, Coventry, Leyton Orient etc would swap places with us at the moment. Crisis what crisis.

FAKE NEWS again I'm afraid. Neither of your opinions (and that is what they are) have any substance. As I said before 3/4 fans who read the post could be bothered to answer the poll said they had enough. That is not the same thing as you well know as 3/4 fans have had enough - period. It certainly didn't feel in the ground that 3/4 shared the view of the very small pockets/individuals shouting for him to be sacked.
So you think unless someone is standing up shouting for Brown to be sacked they want him to stay? You’re deluded if you think it’s a small percentage of fans that want Brown gone, it’s the vast majority. And more fool you for sticking by this clown who is taking us back to League 2. Can you explain why Oxley gave a thumbs up to the fans when the chant ‘Oxley do you want Brown out?’ Was going on if Brown hasn’t lost the players?

I thought we were okay in the 1st half on the whole. We didn't do enough in the final third admittedly but, by and large, we were doing okay. It was a big loss to lose Turner so early and it clearly caused a problem. I didn't really understand why Harry Kyp, who had been readied to come on, was replace by Stephen Hendrie, but I've been keen to see Hendrie given the chance to banish his demons on the pitch at RH so accepted it.

I think Anton was caught out by John White's throw to him, clearly wasn't expecting it and wasn't concentrating. What is so frustrating this season is that whenever we seem to make a mistake, we get punished without fail each and every time. What was also frustrating today was a weak referee who allowed a free kick to be taken about 20 yards further forward than it should have been and failed to send off a player who promptly scored against us. I would say we get no luck but then have to remember our goal.

Hoisting high balls up with Bolger in their defence was never going to work, but it's our default when we panic.

I do think they should give our Freddy a ring and ask him to come and do some training in the final third, two such defensive coaches as Brown and Couglan are clearly missing a trick at the other end.

So, 1st half - 0-0 at half time and we were coping ok. And then, as has happened so many times, half time happens, the players come back out and everything suddenly collapses around our ears. It doesn't take much for the vitriol to be unleashed from W block, with even the drum being used in the anti Brown chants.

Oxley - 7, some good saves and showed enthusiasm to get forward
White - 6, fairly solid on the whole
Ferdinand - 5, a risk that shouldn't have been taken, he doesn't deserve to be hung out to dry at this stage in his career quite so horribly
Turner - 6, knew he was in trouble, which was a shame as he's our best defender aerially
Demetriou - 5, little to any effect
Coker - 7, played about 3 different positions, and tried his best in them all
Kightly - 7, I thought Kights had certainly a good 1st half, defended well and has the ability to adapt into this position
Timlin - 7.5, my MOTM, thought he was our clear best player 1st half
McGlashan - 5, one decent run at them, when that's what we should have been doing. Still say he is only effective as an impact sub
McLaughlin - 7, showed promise and commitment
Cox - 6.5, felt sorry for him, doesn't suit the lone striker and had no-one to play off

Subs:
Hendrie for Turner - 6.5, thought he did ok when he came on, wasn't fazed by the atmosphere
Fortune for Ferdinand - 6.5, held the ball up well, probably too late reverting to a 4-4-2
Wabo for Cox - 7, the lad did great when he came on - by why on earth was he brought on for Cox? Should clearly have been McGlashan went off at that time.

Most of us have been here before, I think we still have the personnel to be able to save our season but there's an issue with confidence and there's clearly an issue with the management. Our chairman needs to have a good long think about what he needs out of the season and make some decisions because, at the moment, Southend United is looking a decidedly uncomfortable proposition for attracting any loan player or otherwise in.

Can you explain why Oxley gave a thumbs up to the fans when the chant ‘Oxley do you want Brown out?’ Was going on if Brown hasn’t lost the players?

Because he misheard and thought it was just a chant for him. No player is going to signify agreement to something like that on purpose.

So you think unless someone is standing up shouting for Brown to be sacked they want him to stay? You’re deluded if you think it’s a small percentage of fans that want Brown gone, it’s the vast majority. And more fool you for sticking by this clown who is taking us back to League 2. Can you explain why Oxley gave a thumbs up to the fans when the chant ‘Oxley do you want Brown out?’ Was going on if Brown hasn’t lost the players?

Absolutely! Brown admitted the team weren't playing for him weeks ago, he should have walked then. I just looked back on the Shrimperzone poll, 86% wanted Brown out (not the 75% some are claiming) even before today's horror show. I stood up and vocalised my frustration towards Brown at 2-0 today, a number of people around me verbally applauded me even though they didn't publicly show their annoyance themselves. Just because some stay quiet doesn't mean they support Brown.

Good to see Ron's meetings had a positive effect!:thumbsup: Phil dug his own grave today, one up front against a team we should be capable of beating, plus the continued blind faith in Anton :nope: That should be the last straw for me.

For what it's worth, I'm not totally against one up front. After all, Brown won promotion largely playing BBBC as a lone striker. However Corr was suited to the role, Cox couldn't be further removed :facepalm:. Let's not forget Brown tried Cox as a lone striker at home to Fleetwood last season, we produced our worst home performance of the year, leading to calls for him to leave. I assume he doesn't learn from his own mistakes.

Oxley 6 - Okay, good kicking.

Demetriou 6 - Tried his best, didn't do much wrong.
White 4 - Poor, terrible 'defending' led to the free kick where Fleetwood hit the post in the first half. I'm usually a fan of White but felt he looked a little half arsed today.
Ferdinand 3 - An accident waiting to happen. Needs benching permanently, error after catastrophic error, if we do go down Brown's blind faith in him will be partly to blame.
Turner 6 - Dominant in the air before his injury.
Coker 5 - Okay as wing back, not a central defender. Again, Brown doesn't learn. Coker was poor when he played him in this position towards the end of 15/16, yet he reverts to the same mistake. :dim:

McGlashen 5 - Worked hard, but little to no real impact.
Timlin 6 - Best player in the first half, in fact that's the best I've seen him play in ages. Sadly after the break he gave the ball away too much.
Kightly 5 - Ridiculous to play him as a defensive midfielder. Didn't look comfortable and his only tackles were diving lunges. Got a fortuitous goal, but at least he took a shot.
Mclaughlin 5 - No where near his best right now. A big disappointment this season considering what he's capable of.

Cox 5 - Worked hard, no impact, not a line front man:sad:

Subs
Hendrie 5 - Looked lost, did okay going forward at times.
Fortune 6 - At least retained possession.
Wabo 7 - Seemed to spark a renewed effort in the last 10 minutes. Showed more today than I've seen from Robinson and Ba in previous games.

Please Phil save face and resign now. We never looked like winning today against an ordinary team, how are you going to change it around? If not, Ron, I admire your loyalty but enough's enough, pull that trigger now before it's too late.

You give White 4, Coker 5, Kightly 5, Timlin 6 and then Wabo 7 for a short cameo ??!!

Give me strength. What game were you watching?

'Vast majority' - sweeping statement ... and your evidence is?

The only people deluded are the people who are putting 2 and 2 together and coming up with 5 because it suits their argument. YOUR interpretation of Oxley giving the fans the thumbs up is a case in point.

You give White 4, Coker 5, Kightly 5, Timlin 6 and then Wabo 7 for a short cameo ??!!

Give me strength. What game were you watching?

Obviously not the same one as you :smile:.

For what it's worth I thought Wabo showed real energy and sparked an overall improvement in the last ten minutes. He had one of our only decent shots on target, and did well to win the corner that we scored from. I thought all four that provoked your 'give me strength' did less in 90 minutes.

You support Brown, that is clear. I don't, we'll just have to agree to disagree I guess.

Absolutely! Brown admitted the team weren't playing for him weeks ago, he should have walked then. I just looked back on the Shrimperzone poll, 86% wanted Brown out (not the 75% some are claiming) even before today's horror show. I stood up and vocalised my frustration towards Brown at 2-0 today, a number of people around me verbally applauded me even though they didn't publicly show their annoyance themselves. Just because some stay quiet doesn't mean they support Brown.

no but equally it doesn't mean they are against him either!

Anyone who doesn' t want Brown immediately castrated is a traitor. I sat in my seat today when the Blues Voice made the devastating "shoes off if you want Brown out" call and i am now hanging my head in shame. As i remained shoed. It reminded me of when the Berlin Wall fell and I wasn't there to help. When will you fools realise the truth? Even the pitch is digging itself up in protest!

Back