• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Ricey

I’m a Mod⭐⭐
Staff member
A stutter in the run up, still 6 points to play for and on paper we have the easier run than Millwall. I'm trying to think positively!! :thumbsup:

For those of you who were there what went wrong?

Before all the comments about 'poor ref' ( most are in this league )and 'time wasters' ( what would we have done ? ) , we just weren't at the races today - end of.

From what I read from the twitter updates from the club and CP it seemed like lots of missed opportunities and just a bad day at the office. A few defensive mistakes and also a couple of good stops to prevent it being a lot worse than 1-2.

I did say O'Keefe and Reeves would rip us apart and sounds like they both played very well.

If we can't handle the pressure of the run-in and a big crowd at Roots Hall, then perhaps it is a blessing in disguise we won't be in the play-offs.

Still one point in it...poop day no doubt and an opportunity missed. I feared two games so close together would be too much for all our walking wounded.....usual southend roller coaster.

Fair to say that luck wasn't on our side today given that we hit the post twice and Demetriou's slip but they had nothing to do with the woeful defending to give them the lead and our incompetence in front of goal.

First half was lacklustre and just didn't produce anything despite dominating play and they twice came close to scoring and we didn't heed those warnings second half. Nasty team to play against and we didn't match up to them on any fronts. Displays like that would get us crucified by any of the sides in the play-offs let alone the Championship.

Walton 6 His kicking is woeful, would be very harsh to criticise but he did palm the second straight into their path and was involved in a mix up first half that nearly let them in
Demetriou 6 His slip was crucial and he had a poor afternoon, especially without the protection of Atkinson
Thompson 7 One of few who can hold his head high, gave his all and got stuck in
Ferdinand 5 Worst he's played for us, unfit and all over the place
Timlin 6 As with Thompson, was pulled out of position too often but put everything into it
Atkinson 6 Contributed not a lot even if he did run around
Leonard 7 As with Thompson, put some balls in the mixer late on
Wordsworth 6 A few decent touches and flicks but little more
McLaughlin 6 Not the same since his injury, not the best service but he never made the most of what he got
Cox 6 Poor service, well taken penalty
Ranger 6 Seemed to be holding back and wasn't fully fit

Subs
McGlashan 5 Went missing for most of the time he was on
Robinson 5 Didn't seem to know if he was up front or out wide
Fortune 6 Chased balls down and looked to hold up play

Really poor and hugely disappointing given the Millwall result. Have to lift heads up and move on to the next one to get the most out of that and hope that Millwall slip up again which there is the potential for given their fixtures.

What concerns me is our record under pressure, our biggest home crowds have been Bolton, Charlton, Sheffield United, etc where we've failed to turn up and same away from home when we've gone to Charlton and Gillingham with big crowds. Oh well, onto the next one.

First 10 mins we looked on it. When the early goal didn't come we ran out of ideas and were second best for the rest of the game. All the big players were under par today. Millwall losing keeps us in it but that was such a huge opportunity lost to keep our fate in our hands. I just hope that Oxford play with the same freedom at the Den next week that MK did today.... that's assuming we beat Shrews

I'm fuming at that to be honest. I will say 3 things:

1. We hit the post 3 times, clearly lacking a smidge of luck.
2. That referee is without a doubt one of the most shocking that I have seen in my 20+ years of watching football. We definitely played against 12 men.
3. MK Franchise scum one of the more niggly, dirty, unsporting and time-wasting teams I've seen here in some time too.

That doesn't, however, change the main point today. That point being that we just didn't turn up. I thought that apart from the first 20-25 minutes we were atrocious. Not enough of the players on that pitch wanted it, there were too many shockingly poor decisions being made by players in possession, and too many silly mistakes. We were so on it for the first 20 mins. We were well and truly in control. Why did the foot come off the gas? It looked like they were willing to come steaming out of the blocks, but with the mindset that "we'll play at 100% for the first 20 mins and if we don't get our noses in front then sod it, we'll settle for a point". Unacceptable. It angers and worries me in equal measure that after being BEGGED to fill the stands, we've been repaid with garbage. After turning up in huge numbers for the Bolton and Charlton games too, it seems like the fans are the only ones holding up their end of the bargain. If you're going to beg the town and the fans for support, then damn we'll get up for the games yourselves.

One saving grace I guess is the Millwall result, but I'm not thinking about that positively at all. If we can't get up for a home game against mid-table and mediocre gash who have nothing to play for like MK Dons, with a packed house and when just a draw would have seen us back in the playoffs, then I don't imagine we'll be up for it enough against 2 teams scrapping for their lives.

All-in-all very very poor and rather concerning too.

2. That referee is without a doubt one of the most shocking that I have seen in my 20+ years of watching football. We definitely played against 12 men.
3. MK Franchise scum one of the more niggly, dirty, unsporting and time-wasting teams I've seen here in some time too.

That doesn't, however, change the main point today. That point being that we just didn't turn up. I thought that apart from the first 20-25 minutes we were atrocious. Not enough of the players on that pitch wanted it, there were too many shockingly poor decisions being made by players in possession, and too many silly mistakes. We were so on it for the first 20 mins. We were well and truly in control. Why did the foot come off the gas? It looked like they were willing to come steaming out of the blocks, but with the mindset that "we'll play at 100% for the first 20 mins and if we don't get our noses in front then sod it, we'll settle for a point. Unacceptable. It angers and worries me in equal measure that after being BEGGED to fill the stands, we've been repaid with garbage. After turning up in huge numbers for the Bolton and Charlton games too, it seems like the fans are the only ones holding up their end of the bargain. If you're going to beg the town and the fans for support, then damn we'll get up for the games yourselves.

One saving grace I guess is the Millwall result, but I'm not thinking about that positively at all. If we can't get up for a home game against mid-table and mediocre gash who have nothing to play for like MK Dons, with a packed house and when just a draw would have seen us back in the playoffs, then I don't imagine we'll be up for it enough against 2 teams scrapping for their lives.

That really got my goat. The drop ball that they had should have gone back to the keeper but they kicked it out for a throw inside the 18 yard line. Unsporting behaviour. The number 6 who threw himself to the ground when nobody touched him while Cox was waiting to take the penalty and then kicking out when Ferdy helped him up. Disgusting

Ryan Leonard was our only good player, with some excellent tackles etc.

Timlin - really poor

Anton - Must of been injured, walked around most the game and offered nothing bar looking like costing us goals. I really hope him playing 90 doesn’t mean he is now out of the next game

If we didn’t get the penalty then we could of been playing a week and not scored.

No change thanks to Millwall result but Dale and Bristol now closer and confidence must be low after that.

I wonder if other fans comment on how much we moan as a fan base, I can’t remember the last game where I haven’t heard people moaning about the ref or other teams doing something wrong.

Oh and to the idiot female driver, who stupidly sped up into a group of boys walking in the road (pushing a wheelchair). People took a photo of your number plate, and called the police.

Anton and Ranger clearly unfit, should have both been reeled in at half time.

Demetriou is getting worse week on week, now it's starting to cost us goals.

Ref atrocious

Blew a big opportunity today, very frustrating

Match report: Southend United 1, MK Dons 2

SOUTHEND United’s push for the play-offs was dented by a shock 2-1 defeat at home to MK Dons this afternoon.

More...

Awful, awful performance. Yet again we crumble when we have a good opportunity. Some of the shooting from our attacking players was embarrassing... as good as Cox is, he really cannot hit a ball.

Walton gifted them two goals really, though should have been helped by his defence first. Ferdinand didn't put a foot right all match, though I'm pretty sure he's nowhere near fitness.

Still a chance to get in the play-offs on paper, but I must say I really don't fancy us in the slightest.

We bottled it. Same as Charlton.

Ryan Leonard was our only good player, with some excellent tackles etc.

Timlin - really poor

Anton - Must of been injured, walked around most the game and offered nothing bar looking like costing us goals. I really hope him playing 90 doesn’t mean he is now out of the next game

If we didn’t get the penalty then we could of been playing a week and not scored.

No change thanks to Millwall result but Dale and Bristol now closer and confidence must be low after that.

I wonder if other fans comment on how much we moan as a fan base, I can’t remember the last game where I haven’t heard people moaning about the ref or other teams doing something wrong.

Oh and to the idiot female driver, who stupidly sped up into a group of boys walking in the road (pushing a wheelchair). People took a photo of your number plate, and called the police.

Saw that as well, hope she gets some punishment

That doesn't, however, change the main point today. That point being that we just didn't turn up. I thought that apart from the first 20-25 minutes we were atrocious. Not enough of the players on that pitch wanted it, there were too many shockingly poor decisions being made by players in possession, and too many silly mistakes. We were so on it for the first 20 mins. We were well and truly in control. Why did the foot come off the gas? It looked like they were willing to come steaming out of the blocks, but with the mindset that "we'll play at 100% for the first 20 mins and if we don't get our noses in front then sod it, we'll settle for a point". Unacceptable. It angers and worries me in equal measure that after being BEGGED to fill the stands, we've been repaid with garbage. After turning up in huge numbers for the Bolton and Charlton games too, it seems like the fans are the only ones holding up their end of the bargain. If you're going to beg the town and the fans for support, then damn we'll get up for the games yourselves.

Very good report and exactly how I saw it - a note on the ref, it's all well and good pointing at your watch when they are wasting time, but do something else about it.

BTW why doesn't football introduce something like rugby whereas as soon as play stops, so does the watch, wouldn't matter how much time wasting went on then

That really got my goat. The drop ball that they had should have gone back to the keeper but they kicked it out for a throw inside the 18 yard line. Unsporting behaviour. The number 6 who threw himself to the ground when nobody touched him while Cox was waiting to take the penalty and then kicking out when Ferdy helped him up. Disgusting

Sorry but that's nothing we haven't done in the past whilst winning under Brown, every team seems to play the victim when they're being timewasted but will happily do it themselves when they're ahead. Whether it was timewasting or not Ferdinand 'helping him up', was a stupid move since all it did was waste more time as he had a go at him. Same goes for Robinson's pointless booking, it didn't make the substituted player walk any faster and just wasted more time whilst the ref spoke to him. MK Dons tried to get in our heads and it worked. We need to ignore stuff like that and keep our cool, as soon as you lose that you start rushing things and everything collapses.

Edit: as has been shown elsewhere with video evidence the player who went down in the box had been deliberately stamped on by Robinson, so there wasn't any play acting going on there. Does kind of show why the fans giving the ref abuse is often stupid, often fans get wound up over correct decisions just because they personally didn't see anything.

Last edited:
Very good report and exactly how I saw it - a note on the ref, it's all well and good pointing at your watch when they are wasting time, but do something else about it.

BTW why doesn't football introduce something like rugby whereas as soon as play stops, so does the watch, wouldn't matter how much time wasting went on then
Generally the ball is only in play 60-65 mins on average. Add in your time wasting on days like today and you'd be playing for 130-140 minutes.

Before all the comments about 'poor ref' ( most are in this league )and 'time wasters' ( what would we have done ? ) , we just weren't at the races today - end of.

That about sums it up. We just didn't turn up today. Hitting the post twice and you just know its not going to be your day. Thankfully Fleetwood did us a favour. Still, we are not out of it yet.

Should never have started with Ranger up front. I think we may not have lost if Fortune had partnered Cox because when he came on we started to create chances by keeping the ball on the ground.

Back