• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Yes,Demetriou was unfortunate to slip ,he had a decent game and seems to be an easy scapegoat.

Sorry, but I disagree. One of my colleagues, who has played women's football to quite a good standard came along on Monday and she picked him out immediately after the game saying he was sh**, so I don't think it was just the one slip that gave her that impression. I've said many a time, that I want my defenders to primarily defend, and not be in that Duncan Jupp position up the top of the pitch - Demetriou does it far too often and our midfielders (who should be up there) have to drop back to cover him.

Sorry, but I disagree. One of my colleagues, who has played women's football to quite a good standard came along on Monday and she picked him out immediately after the game saying he was sh**, so I don't think it was just the one slip that gave her that impression. I've said many a time, that I want my defenders to primarily defend, and not be in that Duncan Jupp position up the top of the pitch - Demetriou does it far too often and our midfielders (who should be up there) have to drop back to cover him.
Noticed something on Saturday which goes some way to explaining Demetriou and why his runs forward are quite so dangerous.

On quite a few occasions he was on the ball and played it to Atkinson inside before bombing down the wing. Problem was that whereas normally Atkinson would drop to cover, Demetriou had gone way too far and was being marked so wasn't in a position to receive the ball and Atkinson kept having to move central or forward looking for an option, leaving us completely exposed at right back.

Noticed something on Saturday which goes some way to explaining Demetriou and why his runs forward are quite so dangerous.

On quite a few occasions he was on the ball and played it to Atkinson inside before bombing down the wing. Problem was that whereas normally Atkinson would drop to cover, Demetriou had gone way too far and was being marked so wasn't in a position to receive the ball and Atkinson kept having to move central or forward looking for an option, leaving us completely exposed at right back.

Exactly, Will or Lenny are frequently called upon to cover.

Full-Backs have always gone forward to join attacks. That's the case at all professional levels for as long as I can remember. Often centre-halves come across to cover if there is a break on, or a midfielder drops back to cover.

The same applies on Cokes side of the pitch. Often Ben is actually on the oppo goal-line pulling a cross back. In fact, several goals and at least three penalties have resulted in him pushing forward.

People want attacking football at RH and they also want all our defenders to be in place when we lose the ball. I don't think you can have both.

Full-Backs have always gone forward to join attacks. That's the case at all professional levels for as long as I can remember. Often centre-halves come across to cover if there is a break on, or a midfielder drops back to cover.

The same applies on Cokes side of the pitch. Often Ben is actually on the oppo goal-line pulling a cross back. In fact, several goals and at least three penalties have resulted in him pushing forward.

People want attacking football at RH and they also want all our defenders to be in place when we lose the ball. I don't think you can have both.

Ben never bombs forward to put himself in the centre forward position, which Demetriou has more than once.

Ben never bombs forward to put himself in the centre forward position, which Demetriou has more than once.
Think 9 times out of 10 Ben is on the overlap or supporting the winger, whereas Demetriou takes up the role of the winger on his own.

So, how comes more goals come down our left than our right, then?

On Monday, I was in the East Blues and MK Dons were far more of a threat down my side in the second-half and also, their best chance of the first half, which Demi cleared off the line, came down our left.

The one match recently where Demi didn't play, we shifted 2 goals in 5 minutes, both coming down our right.

So, how comes more goals come down our left than our right, then?

On Monday, I was in the East Blues and MK Dons were far more of a threat down my side in the second-half and also, their best chance of the first half, which Demi cleared off the line, came down our left.

The one match recently where Demi didn't play, we shifted 2 goals in 5 minutes, both coming down our right.

Possibly because more teams employ right wingers than left? Don't know, that's a guess, I know in the past we've had more right wingers than left.

We have missed Coker a lot. Timlin is whole hearted, a good tackler and able to fill in at left back, but his positioning is that of a central midfielder. Earlier in the season when he was deputising, most of our goals conceeded, came down his side.

Demi is a far better defender than people are giving him credit for, but not as good as John White defensively.

Possibly because more teams employ right wingers than left? Don't know, that's a guess, I know in the past we've had more right wingers than left.

That could well answer your own question.

Bottom line is that we are on the verge of the play-offs and have a very good goal difference, particularly bearing in mind the goals we shipped in the first 12 games, so the system and style works with him at right-back.

For every "mistake" he has probably outweighed this with a positive contribution. Also popped up with the important first goal at Peterborough.

We have missed Coker a lot. Timlin is whole hearted, a good tackler and able to fill in at left back, but his positioning is that of a central midfielder. Earlier in the season when he was deputising, most of our goals conceeded, came down his side.

Demi is a far better defender than people are giving him credit for, but not as good as John White defensively.

Spot on and Cokes, for all his good points, has cost us at least two goals arguing with officials, while a quick throw or corner has been taken.

It's rough with smooth in both right and left back positions, but Demi and Cokes are our best two options for all-round contribution to the team.

Coker and White are both solid defensively. Coker goes forward more, but actually doesn't deliver that much considering the amount of the ball he sees. White goes forwards less, but I think is actually more likely to swing a quality ball in. Demetriou is a great option when we're on the front foot - supports the attacks well and as others have said could pass for a winger. But against better opposition where we spend more time defending, he's less disciplined.

Problem that I have with JW is that he always stands off the attacker and allows the cross to be made. Demetriou is more inclined to tackle and makes himself available more often and quicker when we counter attack. As I said many moons ago I think Demetriou would be excellent as a winger and would give more protection to the right back than Atkinson does.

That could well answer your own question.

Bottom line is that we are on the verge of the play-offs and have a very good goal difference, particularly bearing in mind the goals we shipped in the first 12 games, so the system and style works with him at right-back.

For every "mistake" he has probably outweighed this with a positive contribution. Also popped up with the important first goal at Peterborough.

Also provided the cross for the first at Oxford whilst seeing off their best player.

Chesterfield fans told me their best player was on the left and he did bomb forward. Demi had to deal with him on numerous occasions, never dived in and had a good game.

Was not to blame for Holmes's goal at Charlton but somehow on the zone he has been blamed.

Maybe the better option would be to play white at right back and Demetriou on the wing ahead of him. Both players can then link up and cover accordingly.

Was not to blame for Holmes's goal at Charlton but somehow on the zone he has been blamed.

hmmmmmmm not too sure about that. I was right in front of it and Demi gave him about 5 yards worth of space for Holmes to do whatever he wanted and he just kept backing off. That's a dream for a winger/striker. Demi got torn apart those first 15/20 mins.

If you watch Tims, he puts in a half-a*sed challenge and then jogs back. He is in more than a good enough position to get close to Holmes and tackle him or make him cut back or even force an early cross, but does neither.

Demi shows Holmes outside and doesn't dive in, which is what you are meant to do in that situation - especially in the penalty area - meaning he has to go outside him with the narrower angle to shoot. However, he finishes well, taking his shot first time and catching Walton out at the near post.

Spot on and Cokes, for all his good points, has cost us at least two goals arguing with officials, while a quick throw or corner has been taken.

It's rough with smooth in both right and left back positions, but Demi and Cokes are our best two options for all-round contribution to the team.

Yes these are the best we have, lucky we have a decent bench.

Back