• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Post-Match Thread and Ratings Southend United 1-2 Morecambe FC

RHB

I'm a Gnu, how do you do!⭐⭐
Staff member
Reports and ratings here please. Another defeat but not as bad as some of the others?

Another very disappointing defeat.. I have no idea how we are going to change this around.

Very depressing.

Same old story. Can’t defend & can’t attack. We are beyond help at this point. I can’t even muster the energy to be angry anymore, it’s just pitiful.

Aside from the goal, we didn’t register another shot on target. 90-mins of football against what I would class as a relegation rival, and we couldn’t muster more than a single shot on target. This lot had shipped 12 in their last 2 games, but we couldn’t even force their keeper into a save ?

A few thoughts:

The addition of Acquah didn’t do too much for me tbh. I know he took a knock early on, so maybe I’m being harsh, but I thought he looked less mobile than both Kelman & Goodship. And for a big lump, he doesn’t exactly use his weight to his advantage.

Hobson needs to be sharper. He’s very casual at times, which he may have gotten away with in non-league, but you can’t do that at this level.

New guy looked fair. He didn’t do anything spectacular, but he did the simple things correctly, and kept the ball moving. He had the same problem as Hutch; very little to aim at in front of him.

MM needs to give his head a wobble whilst we’re at it. 5 games, 5 defeats. Yes the team is crap, but ffs Mark, ditch the 442. I’m not suggesting it’s the root cause of our problems, but it’s certainly not helping matters.

Just another sad, pathetic day all round really.

Adios football league. It’s been emotional

Why, it's almost like we're improving each game.
Unsure. I'd argue the standard of each team has been worse each week which has me worried.

We play like an academy side, which we sort of are at the moment. We look pretty on the edge of our own box but lack any real substance in the final third.

We did play some nice stuff in the first half I'm not doubting that, but I'm really unsure if I think we're improving each game at present. I honestly thought Morecambe were pretty poor in that first half rather than us dictating it

Utterly depressing performance/result. Our football club has been on a downward spiral for the last two years with no sign of stopping. Three games in, three defeats. We need a miracle to keep this club from non-league football next year. I’m not hopeful.

The kids are being thrown in at the deep end I grant you but they are making the same mistake every week. It speaks volumes about their footballing ability that they just aren’t learning from them. I know that they shouldn’t be relied upon but at the same time when you can’t even perform the basics of football, there’s no hope. Charlie Kelman looks disinterested and probably needs to be moved on for his sake and ours, absolute no effort from him. Terrel Egbri, without wanting to be to harsh is one of the worst footballers I’ve ever seen. He offers absolutely nothing.

If MM some how keeps this lot from relegation then that tops the back to back promotion seasons.

The only positives was Emile and Kyle Taylor. He looked sharpe before taking that knock. It makes a huge difference having someone up top who can hold up the ball and bring others in to play. I’d start him alongside Simeon as soon as he is available. Kyle Taylor looked comfortable on the ball. Hopefully once he is more settled in those around him will make runs off him for him to find them etc looking forward to seeing more of him.

Ox 6

Ralph 7
Hobson 5
R Taylor 6
Elvis 4

Green 5
K Taylor 6
Demi 6
Egbri 5 (not sure why he’s getting so much grief. No worse than some others)

Goodship 4 (for the set up of the goal, poor otherwise)
Acquah 5

kelman 3
Clifford 4
Rush 3

Disappointing result but much better.

K.Taylor - I thought he had a good debut, looked to be the centre of every forward play and quick to get involved in defensive duties. Definite man of the match for me
Hobson - Still scares the crap out of me every time he gets the ball at his feet in our half.
Egbri - I'm sure he's very talented and in a higher tier with more time on the ball and smaller defenders he might do great but in League 2 - 75% of the time he is losing possession, 20% of the time throwing himself on the floor and 5% being an absolute menace to all.
Kelman - What's happened to him? He seems a completely different player.

Just a simple question: how many times today did a Southend player look up and pass backwards?
It has to be a lack of options; therefore a lack of movement, and therefore a lack of drills when we break forward.
As a result, it was slow and predictable.
Morecambe just invited us on, aware we had no thrust in the final third.
Someone earlier said Goodship had a decent first half: OK, he had the shot that brought the goal, what else - and I mean the rest of the game as well?
R Taylor was a better defender today; going forward he's dreadful.
Hobson is equally ponderous. Both make me hold my breath when they're in their own final third.
Egbri? It's not his fault he's so tiny, but he's meat and drink to seasoned League Two pros.
Elvis looks bereft, and apart from Oxley and K Taylor, we've just lost to a side who got thumped midweek and last weekend.

Disappointing but still some positives to take from it. Kyle Taylor my MOTM by far. Looks a really, really good signing. If we can get Acquah fitter, get White and Lennon back and Akinola registered and ready to go, I think we’ll be okay.

A lot of ifs there mate.

That was painful to watch but I did see some areas of improvement this week. Leaving aside some of the obvious brain farts that some of our players displayed, it was good to see Demi competing again although he was seriously blowing out of his arse half way through the second half. For all the Ralph haters out there I thought that was his best 90 minutes for a long while and when he had Clifford and him on it looked a lot better. Kyle Taylor looked very tidy and seldom gave the ball away and looked a lot safer in front of the back 4 than others have. Richard Taylor also showed that he has learnt from some of his earlier gaffs and definitely shown improvement. Finally Emile Acquah scored, which has to be a plus, and put himself about a bit before being subbed, again an improvement up front to previously.

There were loads of things that made me gasp in horror but I leave those to others that feel the need to vent their spleen. Me, I'll settle for posting small improvements and seeing a goal scored from open play. Every little bit helps, as they say.

Utterly depressing performance/result. Our football club has been on a downward spiral for the last two years with no sign of stopping. Three games in, three defeats. We need a miracle to keep this club from non-league football next year. I’m not hopeful.

The kids are being thrown in at the deep end I grant you but they are making the same mistake every week. It speaks volumes about their footballing ability that they just aren’t learning from them. I know that they shouldn’t be relied upon but at the same time when you can’t even perform the basics of football, there’s no hope. Charlie Kelman looks disinterested and probably needs to be moved on for his sake and ours, absolute no effort from him. Terrel Egbri, without wanting to be to harsh is one of the worst footballers I’ve ever seen. He offers absolutely nothing.

If MM some how keeps this lot from relegation then that tops the back to back promotion seasons.

The only positive was Emile. He looked sharpe before taking that knock. It makes a huge difference having someone up top who can hold up the ball and bring others in to play. I’d start him alongside Simeon as soon as he is available.

And this, for me, is the crux. We'll see an awful lot of 'things are getting better' and 'they're young and will improve' and 'its only a few games in', etc. But I'm just seeing far too much evidence of some our players not being able to do the basics. Like pass to a blue shirt or make a run to offer a team mate an option. Some of it is Sunday League stuff, let alone non-league. If you can't do the basics right then it doesn't matter how young or inexperienced you are - you just won't make it at this level.

Without continued major, major surgery to this squad, I can't see how it can be turned around.

Just a simple question: how many times today did a Southend player look up and pass backwards?
It has to be a lack of options; therefore a lack of movement, and therefore a lack of drills when we break forward.
As a result, it was slow and predictable.
Morecambe just invited us on, aware we had no thrust in the final third.
Someone earlier said Goodship had a decent first half: OK, he had the shot that brought the goal, what else - and I mean the rest of the game as well?
R Taylor was a better defender today; going forward he's dreadful.
Hobson is equally ponderous. Both make me hold my breath when they're in their own final third.
Egbri? It's not his fault he's so tiny, but he's meat and drink to seasoned League Two pros.
Elvis looks bereft, and apart from Oxley and K Taylor, we've just lost to a side who got thumped midweek and last weekend.

Nearly every time they had the ball, it was shocking..No forward drive whatsoever

The only positive was Emile. He looked sharpe before taking that knock. It makes a huge difference having someone up top who can hold up the ball and bring others in to play. I’d start him alongside Simeon as soon as he is available.
Agreed, but I though K Taylor had a decent debut.
He looked to make room for himself and seek a decent pass, which he mostly did.

Struggling to be even mediocre in this crap division.Only the midfield looks remotely up to what's needed.Taylor the only bright spot from today.
Whatever Ron might waffle on about the embargo and fallout from last seasons player clear out he has left us with the weakest and most unbalanced squad in all my time of following this club.A number of the youngsters are simply out of their depth and running around like headless chickens.We lack experience at the back and should have conceded more .Up front 2 shots against their 14 tells you everything especially after the last two games where we could hardly muster those stats.

Oxley -5 - Average. Couldn't do much about the goal, but decision making is not the greatest given his experience
Bwomono - 4 - Poor, no confidence and nothing came off for him
Hobson - 5 - Average
R Taylor - 4 - Poor, overweighted at least 80% of his long passes.
Ralph - 5 - Average
Green - 5 - Started well, petered out after he got caught early on in the first half
Demetriou - 5 - Not a CM
K Taylor - 7 - Looks a very astute signing, could partner Macca well in CM
Egbri - 3 - Useless. Playing at least one division above his ability
Goodship - 4 - Would have been a 3 if it hadn't been for that one shining piece of skill for the build up to the goal. Prances around up front and really doesn't add much
Acquah - 5 - Average

Clifford - 4 - poor. did he even touch the ball?
Kelman - 4 - This boy is a waste of space and needs to be gotten rid of on the cheap.
Rush - 4 - Failed to make any real impact. miscontrolled the ball most of the time.

Back