• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Post-Match Thread and Ratings Southend United 1-2 Morecambe FC

Movement and control up front non existent.
3 shots on target in three league games.
No threat at all - none of the players who are out injured are going to score loads and Akinola is an unknown quantity.
Everything we do is so laboured - no one can sprint.

Oxley 5

Bwomono 3
Hobson 5
Taylor 4
Ralph 5

Green 4
K. Taylor 6
Demetriou 5
Egbri 2

Acquah 6
Goodship 3

Clifford 4
Kelman 2
Rush 4

Oxley 7
Bwomono 4
Hobson 5
Taylor 6
Ralph 6
Green 5
Taylor 8
Demi 7
Egbri 5
Emile 8
Goodship 6 his best game but still not good enough.

Kelman 3 bye ?

Clifford 5

Rush NA

MOTM - KT

Quote Reply

What you mean it was only a one goal margin compared to two and four?
What a telling stat - Southend 2 shots Morecambe 14 shots.
And this against a side who had conceded 12 at home in a week.
No, I didn't mean that at all. As a thread starter post it was a question, nothing more.

Kyle Taylor my MOM. He showed JD how exactly to play the Centre midfield role.
Elvis doesn't have any confidence going forward. He has lost this all in the space of 6-9 months
JD put in a JD performance. Gave the team nothing in a centre midfield performance. Too many sideways passes and some got picked off due to them being too risky. Picked up another pointless booking as well.
Oxley kept the score to 1-0 in the first half and was left exposed for the 2 goals.

I could go on with the rest of the team but these are the 4 stand out observations.

UTB!

Trying to ignore the fact that I’m ****ed off about that one

Slight improvement albeit against poor opposition once again
Happy with Demi and Kyle Taylor who I thought were brilliant, both comfortable on the ball and trying to make things happen, took a lot of pressure off the back 4.
Acquah a good target man and allows a platform further forward
Oxley did well, although I feel sometimes puts his centre backs in a bit of trouble when he’s rolling it out. It might be okay if they were more experienced and comfortable but unfortunately they look nervous.

Elvis, Hobson, Taylor, Egbri and Green not good enough today, felt Goodship worked hard but still isn’t brilliant.Ralph improved on previous showings.

Kelman will be a scapegoat because of his poor pass but let’s be fair it had been coming for some time as we lost control of the game

After we went 1-0 up I feel we should’ve become a lot more pragmatic. Playing short only in the right areas with plenty of numbers behind the ball. We definitely over played and put ourselves into trouble, we haven’t got the players for it.
Definitely need some better players in wide areas as Egbri and Green really didn’t offer anything.

My internet went off for the first goal so not sure what happened there

Moving forward
Oxley
Demi
Lennon
White Ralph
McCormack
Dieng
New signing
Taylor
Akinola
Acquah

Not sure if we’ll ever get those players on the pitch at the same time but we can only dream

Taylor our best player today so well done to him on his debut
Can’t see us winning anytime soon :Facepalm:

Last edited:
Definitely a improvement, looked good in the first half but needed a second goal. Second half we looked slow and void of any creativity in the middle. Liked the new kid though, also want the see the wingers actually have a go at taking their man on. Step in the right direction, but until we get the experience lads back it’s going to be tough going.

It is alarming. This football team / squad is not good enough for the Conference, let alone for the 'professional' league two. The hierarchy needs to get their heads out of their a**e and stop thinking we have 'always' been a League Club, as if we have a god given right to stay one....we don't, just ask Wrexham and Stockport County. If MM doesn't get told to sort it or his neck is also on the line, then we are stuffed. It hurts the fans, it should hurt the coaching staff as much... (thanks, I feel better now)

Disappointing but still some positives to take from it. Kyle Taylor my MOTM by far. Looks a really, really good signing. If we can get Acquah fitter, get White and Lennon back and Akinola registered and ready to go, I think we’ll be okay.
A lot of 'ifs'!

Where do we start
Goalkeeper, complete and utter chicken
Elvis going rapidly backwards
Taylor wouldn’t get a game for Concorde
Hobson....M.M signing.....wouldn’t get a game for Hornchurch
Egbri better off playing subbuteo
Green very poor man’s JCR
Bad ship .....all at sea....
Ralph....like him
New bloke.....like him even more
Emile.....movement of an oak tree
Demi....good enough for this League

Disappointing but still some positives to take from it. Kyle Taylor my MOTM by far. Looks a really, really good signing. If we can get Acquah fitter, get White and Lennon back and Akinola registered and ready to go, I think we’ll be okay.
Getting Acquah fitter may take a long time. No doubting that he is a big old unit but getting him to use it in a productive way may take time, and as for a useful turn of speed, that could take even longer. That said he was better than our previous choices up front.

Positives
Kyle Taylor had a promising debut, he seems to have some attributes.
Good to see JD back, he made a difference.
Acquah gave us a different dimension in the first half. When Akinola is fit we may have options. We do however need to get the ball moving forward, quicker, into the box.
Negatives.
Same old. Concentration, individual errors, psychological advantage to the opposing team as soon as they score. We don’t look like we have the belief to come back into games.
It worries me that that’s 5/5 lost. No matter what signs of improvement there are that’s a losing habit, it’s last season all over again. We really need that first point. And a clean sheet is a must. MM needs to find a way to lift spirits, keep going and try again.
We need to up the fitness and the discipline and learn to switch up tactics.
MM will be realising that this level is less forgiving so he must adapt and fast.
Ramble over ;)

Last edited:
Frustrating one after seeing some of the passages of play in the first half. He clearly wants them to play but I think teams figure us out fairly easy. To not have a proper shot until the 90+ minute is pretty unforgiving at any level. You wouldn't see that on a Sunday to be honest.

I actually thought the addition of Acquah helped us, although he's poor in the air for his size. When the ball is straight to him he can hold it up well.

Hobson can play but he does tend to be too casual at times as alluded to earlier. I think he'll learn and be a decent player for us.

KT looks good and can see why MM would want him in this side.

Sell Kelman if interest is still there.

If we can get everyone back fit then we should hopefully be alright, but we need to get a result ASAP. All well and good MM wanting to play a 442 but sometimes needs must. Play with the hand you've been dealt. 433 just makes so much more sent to me with what's available.

It’s depressing of of course but did we really expect sudden transformation given its the same players getting easily beat every week and it will continue with this squad. They are either too inexperienced or not good enough, & those that are are injured. Our season rests on Ron paying the tax man and getting the embargo lifted before we are cut adrift.

Back