• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Post-Match Thread and Ratings Southend United 1-3 Blackpool FC

THREE first half goals saw Southend United slump to a shocking 3-1 defeat against Blackpool at Roots Hall this afternoon.

More...

Ridgewell was dire, Oxley is a calamity at times and Blackpool are one of the dirtiest sides going!

That tackle on Elvis looked like an attempted murder. Blackpool’s idiotic fans booing Elvis everytime he got the ball afterwards calling him a cheat!

Their 21 was a **** and got away with murder probably wise he got subbed off.

The ref was about as good as a chocolate fire guard.

It’s going to be a long season.

That was like watching a Chris Powell game

We don’t need 3 at the back at home. I’m gonna give Ridgewell the benefit of the doubt and hope he was just well off it in terms of fitness but save him the humiliation of the ironic cheers and hook him off at half time. He didn’t need that on top of a poor performance

Bishop needs to be our number 1. If we’re going with this system of playing out we need a confident keeper. Oxley is a bag of nerves. Flapping at thin air with that first one and he was so slow getting out for the second. I don’t think he’s strong enough mentally and that might sound a bit deep but when you’re trying a new system, it comes with teething problems and he’ll go into his shell after a mistake. We’ve seen in the past nothing phases Bish so he needs to come in immediately

Still crying out for something different in midfield but we know that

A cowards tackle on Elvis. No need for that other than you’re trying to hurt him. The ball was going off the pitch

Genuine question; can Humphrys only play for a certain amount of time with that mask? Baffling to me that he’s getting subbed and Cox, who had no pre season, is getting 90

Just got back and don't really know whre to start, just a couple of obvious bullet points for now

Formation looked a little bewildering to the players and no one seemed to know what to do

Zero movement off the ball and a reluctance to try and create anything

Oxley looked terrible, is he injured?

Midfield is non existent

Things can only get better from here on in

First half was the worst performance I’ve seen at Roots Hall, second half was a completely different game.

I can think of many genuine positives to take out of this side, ignoring the first half completely we moved the ball nicely apart from the odd mistake, we found the channels early and used the whole pitch including the pockets inside.

We need to keep our game simple always trying to find the ‘hollywood’ pass when we can look for the cutbacks into the edge of the box.

Ndwuku looked sharp, Milligan got us moving and found the wide balls well. The football is so much better than under Powell along the ground.

This team really does deserve patience to build, Bond is still learning his team and needs to make these mistakes for next time.

Two good second half performances against two very good sides. Just got to give Bond and the boys time.

"We are team that aren't going to give much away at the back" says I a few minutes before kick off. Prophetic!!!

I have no idea what we were doing in the first half. The first goal, credited as an oggie to Lennon, seemed to result from Oxley flapping and some wind assistance. The second followed soon after when our five man (or three man) defence was cut asunder. The third came again from a lack of anyone taking charge and clearing it. 0-3 at half time. That's grim.

Second half was better, partly because we went to 4-4-2 and Blackpool rightly went down to ten after Elvis was cut in half near the corner flag, but it was fitting our goal was an own goal. We created a bit more, Milligan saw a fizzer tipped over. In my view we didn't as look bad losing today as we did for most of last season.

So what have we learned?

Theo still can't trap or control a ball. Put it in front of him so he can run after it.
We play better in a 4-4-2 set up - but our squad is built around using wingbacks.
Liam Ridgewell is clearly not fit and you have to question why he played.
Joe Shaughnessey takes no **** and wins everything.
Milligan is a proper player but needs a midfield partner as Mantom still looks lost
Hutchinson might be our surprise find of the season
We need to burgle something at Lincoln next week.

Lennon was very impressive today, as was Bwomono and Milligan.

Hutchinson has talent, but he’s got to be smarter with the use of the ball if he’s going to play more. And he’s very weak.

Ridgewell rubbish, Oxley was poor.

Everyone else average

Lennon was very impressive today, as was Bwomono and Milligan.

Hutchinson has talent, but he’s got to be smarter with the use of the ball if he’s going to play more. And he’s very weak.

Ridgewell rubbish, Oxley was poor.

Everyone else average

I thought Ralph was decent too.

At this rate, it won't be long until that 12 point cushion we have on Bolton and Bury is a distant memory.

OK before I have too many beers my thoughts!

We start the game with 8 (7 including the goalkeeper) defensively minded players. Milligan and Mantom keep treading on each others toes because they both play the same position. We lump all creative responsibility on Issac Hutchinson who has hardly played 1st team football and our hero Stephen Humphreys doesn't get one pass to his feet all of the 1st half!
Blackpool play a really beat tidy short passing game and win corners and free kicks and then the giants take over - and 3-0.
We change nothing at half time!!! Then sending off (irrelevant) key thing is we take Ridgewell and Mantom of and heh-presto we look balanced and more dangerous but....................we also bring on Theo! Humphrys must be spitting blood - no service and gets taken off and the Theo arrives and has several chances and better service. All of which he cocked up!
Anyway let's hope we can get a creative midfielder in before 2nd September and Bond has the nuts not to play Mansom and Milligan because he feels he should. Good luck to Issac think the Manager is being unfair and putting too .uch pressure on him with little support!

Can we just close this thread and move on, we all know it’s going to be a long hard season even before it started, it’s been poor for a number of seasons with high profile clueless managers, with overpaid players and woeful formations!!!

Stop playing 5 at the ****ing back.

IT

DOESN'T.

WORK
The Sunderland and Burton wins that saved us last season were 5 at the back and that worked pretty well. 5 at the back can work, it just doesn't when you put an out of shape Ridgewell on the pitch.

Back