• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Post-Match Thread and Ratings Southend United 1-3 Blackpool FC

First half was the worst performance I’ve seen at Roots Hall, second half was a completely different game.

I can think of many genuine positives to take out of this side, ignoring the first half completely we moved the ball nicely apart from the odd mistake, we found the channels early and used the whole pitch including the pockets inside.

We need to keep our game simple always trying to find the ‘hollywood’ pass when we can look for the cutbacks into the edge of the box.

Ndwuku looked sharp, Milligan got us moving and found the wide balls well. The football is so much better than under Powell along the ground.

This team really does deserve patience to build, Bond is still learning his team and needs to make these mistakes for next time.

Two good second half performances against two very good sides. Just got to give Bond and the boys time.

Sitting in the west, there is no patience left. When those two goals went in it was like the Wycombe game last season. Coxy was right in his comments, it felt like last season. If it doesn’t turn around quick I can see us really struggling and being cut adrift pretty quick. Don’t think the team is that bad just confidence is so fragile, it is a horrible to watch. It felt toxic yesterday and that was with the Blue Voice admirably doing their part.

Wow, are you able to spill the beans, or sworn to secrecy?. He was still quite young when he was here, scored often but IIRR used to miss a shed load as well?
Said he found him to be arrogant amongst other stuff. I am sure Andy will have more to say when he does his usual post SUEPA visit round up.

Goodspeed not even on the bench yet he is a proven goal scorer, Kellman preferred yet he is a rookie. Humphreys selected yet is not yet ready and will not / cannot challenge in the air as a target man (I am not criticising him), why?
Goodship had tweaked his groin. Spoke to him before the match. He hopes to be back for next weekend.

Ok, I’m not going to make a habit of match reports or player ratings but I was there today so I may as well....

However please remember, I am NOT a Southend ‘fan’. Over the last couple of seasons I have a loose affinity to the club that’s seen me move from watching academy matches to occasionally watching the 18/23s and if I can come by a free ticket the first team....I am in no way a lifelong fan but this affords me the luxury of sometimes viewing with a little more objectivity than some one who is a fan.....and I’ve learned slowly that having that undying passion for the club you’ve supported all your life is a privilege that I don’t have and I try to have more acceptance of those that have it and who air their opinion whether I agree with it or not.....

Someone said pre match that whoever adapted to the conditions better would win.....well as obvious as that sounds they were spot on....the game was over before it begun after one team showed the willingness to throw some men forward and chuck some balls into the box to see what might happen.....

There was also some debate over formation and suitability.....the consensus seemed pre match that with no good wingers and three good CBs and full backs who like to get forward that this formation suited us.....I said I didn’t believe it was KBs preferred formation and it hadn’t had anywhere near enough work done with it pre season for it to work......

However, I’m a strong believer that formations don’t win or lose you games but that players do and today, unfortunately, players lost you the game not a formation....although I do concede that it can have an effect, if the players aren’t suited to a style of play.

Today the decision to play 3 CBs made sense. Blackpool are a team of giants and were always going to pose a threat in the air and from set pieces....to have the extra CB in there should’ve helped combat that....what didn’t help was the third one was clearly not ready to play.....and KB let his game plan over ride the players available ability to execute it....

Anyway my thoughts individually may explain more :-

Oxley - The wind and bad luck combined to create an almighty howler on his part. The header clear went up in the air and he misjudged how far it would travel and how long it would stay in the air for.....9/10 he gets a given a foul against him and 9/10 it doesn’t land on Harry Lennon’s foot and bounce in!! That said it was a terrible piece of Goalkeeping that he should have dealt better with.

Elvis - He did ok. Much better second half as first half he was caught on the ball too often. However he along with others got better as the game went on. Defensively he was fine.

Ralph - I’ve been his biggest fan, but he was poor today. His touch was off and he never got to grips with the wind with his crossing. He was more of an outlet second half as Hutchinson moving in off the line allowed him space to get forward more. But his end product was poor.

Shaughnessy - He was poor first half but got better. He’s not a great footballer but he is a battler and he can head it! Distribution wise he needs to simply pass it to the closest midfield player and be done with it.

Lennon - A stand out player and at times he was holding us together defensively. He’s quick strong as an Ox and can play. Seriously if he stays fit he’s a Championship defender minimum!

Ridgewell - Where to start!!! I felt sorry for him. He wasn’t ready he can’t have been fit. I feel KB decided to play a formation and needed him to play for it to work....his distribution was a waste of time and oh my god his defending.....he was carrying his shopping for the second goal. He literally didn’t smell danger or did and just couldn’t change gear to deal with it...but a ball inside you at this level has to be a recovery run to intercept the route to goal....he couldn’t get there.
The third was embarrassing. He had two half hearted attempts at a clearance / tackle that he showed no conviction with before it was put into the net. Schoolboy u11s type desire....

By the time he was subbed I felt sorry for him but the ironic cheering was an embarrassment to the fans and to the club .....he’s a human being after all.

He’s an experienced pro...it’s not about whether he can put this behind him more a case of whether he’s even fussed about it....I fear he’s here to play without a care in the world....

Mantom - Toiled away. It’s never lack of effort with Mantom and more should recognize that and commend him for it. He won’t pass forwards and split defenses and he won’t dribble of if a tight area with great feet.....accept he’s a grafter. My problem is where does he fit in and who does he play along side and in what formation to get the best of him.....?‍♂️

Milligan - Never got a foothold in the game in the first twenty and that was disastrous for us...he needed to pull people in and give us a period of possession that we never got....after that he was excellent. Moved the ball quickly and efficiently and he covered the ground endlessly.

Hutchinson - I’m sorry but on here (faceless and nameless) he’s taken a coating. On the Facebook and Twitter comments (with real names) he’s been roundly appreciated and mentioned as MoM ?‍♂️ Coincidence?

The boys 19 and that was his first 90 mins ever and only his 4th competitive start, against adults, in his career.....he then had to fill three different positions during the 90 mins (how many other players do we have that could even do that if asked??). He struggled to be an attacking threat in the first half....agreed...imo largely due to Mantom and Milligan not dominating possession and Blackpool having the upper hand. However he passed the ball consistently and cleverly and one or two combinations with cox around the box give me real hope. Second half he went wide and his movement allowed Ralph to get into the game. He still retained the ball well and worked his nuts off. He then moved into CM in a 442 and out passed and out performed Mantom...he was constantly available, kept the ball well and got a couple of shots away.

As an addition...in that wind, where everyone else took corners and free kicks that went all over the place, his were on the money every time, created the goal and should’ve created another two....I’m telling you now you have a player there. I agree he needs to win more regains and more physical battles but he didn't actually get knocked off the ball while in possession at all...he lost out on aerial battles and if off balance but he was in no way off it physically.

Cox / Humphrys - Cox is clearly not fit. Just not quite at his high standards yet...this is to be expected. It wasn’t a lack of effort and his class still shows but he struggled to get away from people or do the things his brain was telling him to do when it was telling him to do it...

Humphrys isn’t right. I said it pre season and I saw it again today. It’s partly his recovery...he hasn’t fully recovered...he took a knock on his nose early on today and he wasn’t right after that at all. He can’t compete how he’d like to physically and he can’t get involved how he he’d like to. On top of that he’s definitely not feeling the love from his gaffer...and I get the impression he’s someone that needs to feel it....

You lot may not like hearing it about your favourites and it’s debatable whether KB should’ve said it in the press or not but KB wasn’t far wrong....the ball didn't stick to Humphrys and he repeatedly went long when it was played feet or showed feet when we went in behind....BUT....the fact is if they cannot take the criticism due they are in the wrong game. My bet is it’s nothing that wasn’t already said in the dressing room and his interview would not have been a surprise to them at all....get on with it!! Move on...prove him wrong...give him a reaction....don’t sulk!!! This is a hard horrible business with massive rewards and with that comes massive responsibility. Deal with it!!

The subs :-

Kelman - On at left mid 3-0 down.....crowd on your backs....give the kid a break!!! He actually played a decent pass in for Theo and he also snuck in round the back for a header that was well saved and Theo missed a sitter if a rebound!!!

Theo - His touch really was poor.....and he missed what was a real sitter to make it 3-2.....he is what he is...don’t expect any more or any less...

Ndukwu - He looks a threat but don’t tell me Hutchinson needs the gym but not say the same about Layton! I think he has a lot to offer...he’s exciting and pacey but consider two things...1. End product...what and where is it? 2. He’s a year older than Hutchinson and from a premier league club where he’s probably not far off a millionaire on paper....throw your support behind the one that’s your own...at least in equal measure???
Can't disagree with any of that.

Ok, I’m not going to make a habit of match reports or player ratings but I was there today so I may as well....

However please remember, I am NOT a Southend ‘fan’. Over the last couple of seasons I have a loose affinity to the club that’s seen me move from watching academy matches to occasionally watching the 18/23s and if I can come by a free ticket the first team....I am in no way a lifelong fan but this affords me the luxury of sometimes viewing with a little more objectivity than some one who is a fan.....and I’ve learned slowly that having that undying passion for the club you’ve supported all your life is a privilege that I don’t have and I try to have more acceptance of those that have it and who air their opinion whether I agree with it or not.....

Someone said pre match that whoever adapted to the conditions better would win.....well as obvious as that sounds they were spot on....the game was over before it begun after one team showed the willingness to throw some men forward and chuck some balls into the box to see what might happen.....

There was also some debate over formation and suitability.....the consensus seemed pre match that with no good wingers and three good CBs and full backs who like to get forward that this formation suited us.....I said I didn’t believe it was KBs preferred formation and it hadn’t had anywhere near enough work done with it pre season for it to work......

However, I’m a strong believer that formations don’t win or lose you games but that players do and today, unfortunately, players lost you the game not a formation....although I do concede that it can have an effect, if the players aren’t suited to a style of play.

Today the decision to play 3 CBs made sense. Blackpool are a team of giants and were always going to pose a threat in the air and from set pieces....to have the extra CB in there should’ve helped combat that....what didn’t help was the third one was clearly not ready to play.....and KB let his game plan over ride the players available ability to execute it....

Oxley - The wind and bad luck combined to create an almighty howler on his part. The header clear went up in the air and he misjudged how far it would travel and how long it would stay in the air for.....9/10 he gets a given a foul against him and 9/10 it doesn’t land on Harry Lennon’s foot and bounce in!! That said it was a terrible piece of Goalkeeping that he should have dealt better with.

Elvis - He did ok. Much better second half as first half he was caught on the ball too often. However he along with others got better as the game went on. Defensively he was fine.

Ralph - I’ve been his biggest fan, but he was poor today. His touch was off and he never got to grips with the wind with his crossing. He was more of an outlet second half as Hutchinson moving in off the line allowed him space to get forward more. But his end product was poor.

Shaughnessy - He was poor first half but got better. He’s not a great footballer but he is a battler and he can head it! Distribution wise he needs to simply pass it to the closest midfield player and be done with it.

Lennon - A stand out player and at times he was holding us together defensively. He’s quick strong as an Ox and can play. Seriously if he stays fit he’s a Championship defender minimum!

Ridgewell - Where to start!!! I felt sorry for him. He wasn’t ready he can’t have been fit. I feel KB decided to play a formation and needed him to play for it to work....his distribution was a waste of time and oh my god his defending.....he was carrying his shopping for the second goal. He literally didn’t smell danger or did and just couldn’t change gear to deal with it...but a ball inside you at this level has to be a recovery run to intercept the route to goal....he couldn’t get there.
The third was embarrassing. He had two half hearted attempts at a clearance / tackle that he showed no conviction with before it was put into the net. Schoolboy u11s type desire....

By the time he was subbed I felt sorry for him but the ironic cheering was an embarrassment to the fans and to the club .....he’s a human being after all.

He’s an experienced pro...it’s not about whether he can put this behind him more a case of whether he’s even fussed about it....I fear he’s here to play without a care in the world....

Mantom - Toiled away. It’s never lack of effort with Mantom and more should recognize that and commend him for it. He won’t pass forwards and split defenses and he won’t dribble of if a tight area with great feet.....accept he’s a grafter. My problem is where does he fit in and who does he play along side and in what formation to get the best of him.....?‍♂️

Milligan - Never got a foothold in the game in the first twenty and that was disastrous for us...he needed to pull people in and give us a period of possession that we never got....after that he was excellent. Moved the ball quickly and efficiently and he covered the ground endlessly.

Hutchinson - I’m sorry but on here (faceless and nameless) he’s taken a coating. On the Facebook and Twitter comments (with real names) he’s been roundly appreciated and mentioned as MoM ?‍♂️ Coincidence?

The boys 19 and that was his first 90 mins ever and only his 4th competitive start, against adults, in his career.....he then had to fill three different positions during the 90 mins (how many other players do we have that could even do that if asked??). He struggled to be an attacking threat in the first half....agreed...imo largely due to Mantom and Milligan not dominating possession and Blackpool having the upper hand. However he passed the ball consistently and cleverly and one or two combinations with cox around the box give me real hope. Second half he went wide and his movement allowed Ralph to get into the game. He still retained the ball well and worked his nuts off. He then moved into CM in a 442 and out passed and out performed Mantom...he was constantly available, kept the ball well and got a couple of shots away.

As an addition...in that wind, where everyone else took corners and free kicks that went all over the place, his were on the money every time, created the goal and should’ve created another two....I’m telling you now you have a player there. I agree he needs to win more regains and more physical battles but he didn't actually get knocked off the ball while in possession at all...he lost out on aerial battles and if off balance but he was in no way off it physically.

Cox / Humphrys - Cox is clearly not fit. Just not quite at his high standards yet...this is to be expected. It wasn’t a lack of effort and his class still shows but he struggled to get away from people or do the things his brain was telling him to do when it was telling him to do it...

Humphrys isn’t right. I said it pre season and I saw it again today. It’s partly his recovery...he hasn’t fully recovered...he took a knock on his nose early on today and he wasn’t right after that at all. He can’t compete how he’d like to physically and he can’t get involved how he he’d like to. On top of that he’s definitely not feeling the love from his gaffer...and I get the impression he’s someone that needs to feel it....

You lot may not like hearing it about your favourites and it’s debatable whether KB should’ve said it in the press or not but KB wasn’t far wrong....the ball didn't stick to Humphrys and he repeatedly went long when it was played feet or showed feet when we went in behind....BUT....the fact is if they cannot take the criticism due they are in the wrong game. My bet is it’s nothing that wasn’t already said in the dressing room and his interview would not have been a surprise to them at all....get on with it!! Move on...prove him wrong...give him a reaction....don’t sulk!!! This is a hard horrible business with massive rewards and with that comes massive responsibility. Deal with it!!

Kelman - On at left mid 3-0 down.....crowd on your backs....give the kid a break!!! He actually played a decent pass in for Theo and he also snuck in round the back for a header that was well saved and Theo missed a sitter if a rebound!!!

Theo - His touch really was poor.....and he missed what was a real sitter to make it 3-2.....he is what he is...don’t expect any more or any less...

Ndukwu - He looks a threat but don’t tell me Hutchinson needs the gym but not say the same about Layton! I think he has a lot to offer...he’s exciting and pacey but consider two things...1. End product...what and where is it? 2. He’s a year older than Hutchinson and from a premier league club where he’s probably not far off a millionaire on paper....throw your support behind the one that’s your own...at least in equal measure???
Pretty much the game I saw @Grapevine. It was me that stated the obvious but it did turn out to be the way it was. I agree that Isaac grew into the game and your analysis was accurate as I did keep an eye on him. I'm not sure I agree about the MoM, my vote went to Lennon yesterday, which is good to see as he has come in for an unfair amount of critique prior to this season.
My biggest worry is that I am a lifelong fan and yet I still agree with your analysis. Do I need therapy I wonder?:Winking:

Goodship not even on the bench yet he is a proven goal scorer, Kellman preferred yet he is a rookie. Humphreys selected yet is not yet ready and will not / cannot challenge in the air as a target man (I am not criticising him), why?

Did anyone else hear the idiots in the South upper who boo’d Theo when he came on? I’m not one of Theo’s favourite fans, but jeez booing your own player as he enters the field of play... really?!

Thought Bonds tactics were just as bad as his post match interview. He has lost me already never mind the dressing room! Seriously hoping that this is an early season blip, but I reckon Bond will resign by Xmas if this continues.
Goodship is injured

Pics just put up on the SUEPA Facebook and Twitter pages of Stuart Parkers visit yesterday - including one of OBL some 43 years on from her last pic with Stuart.

If you are not following SUEPA yet please do give our Facebook/Twitter pages a visit and like/follow us, the more of a following we get the bigger we get and the more ultimately we can do for our past players and the more we can do for the fans in creating new memories

Cheers

Many negative comments not really surprising after the first half, but the season is only two games old, do some people support Southend or do they just like to moan? Get behind the team now some people’s behaviour in block v the west stand today was disgraceful against our players.

Exactly...this time last year we had just the 1 point!

I am not surprised by that. It was quite clear that when he was Southend's manager Dave Smith had favourite players that were virtually undroppable, irrespective of their form, and other players he would not play even when they were playing really well in the reserves.

Lots of understandable frustration on here. Whilst not particularly agreeing or disagreeing with anyone's views, I think we have to consider the following.

1) Wind is the absolute worst weather to play football in. I've never seen a good game in a high wind. They had it at their backs in the first half and utilised it much better than we did in the second. When the ball swirls about, it makes headers difficult and it's especially a nightmare for keepers. Oxley should have done better for the first but actually made 3 or 4 good punches after that. He made an excellent save low down at 3-0 and had no chance with the other two. The mistake for the first is being used as an excuse for his critics to just jump on him. Nathan Bishop may have not made that mistake but also may have not made a great save. We are not going to have goalkeepers that are brilliant at all aspects of the game; this is league 1. Oxley, for his faults, is as good a keeper as we can expect to have and was awesome two seasons ago. Have we actually forgotten that?

2) Bond has set his sights on trying to keep a clean sheet. Until we do that, we always stand a chance of losing matches. We haven't kept a clean sheet since January. Now he has brought in solid defenders like Ralph and Shaughnessy who in the other games have both been superb. Lennon didn't do anything particularly wrong today aside from the miscommunication with Ridgewell which led to the corner where they scored the third. With the midfield that we have - a non existent one - I can totally get the logic of playing 3 CB's and 2 wing backs. The key to that system - as someone else said on here - is the central midfielders. Milligan is fine but Mantom, Hyam, Hutchinson or whoever are just not the answer. An in form Yearwood would have been ideal in that system but he's been sold now - good business in my opinion, can't knock that - but we haven't got a replacement. Hutchinson looked again out of his depth and his first touch is poor. Looks ok on the ball and can cross but there are many other things missing from his game which I'm sure will come but aren't there yet. Until we get a better midfield we are going to struggle.

3) Humphrys sometimes looks as though he has the hump. This was one of those days. Both he and Cox have cemented their place in our history as fans favourites but actually, today they were shocking. Humphrys gave the ball away stupidly when under no pressure and they raced away to go 2-0 up. Cox was repeatedly caught in possession. Now that may well be because of the system and lack of support but they didn't hold the ball up. At all. And neither did Theo when he came on.

4) It was better in the second half. Or was it, really? Wasn't it just the case that Blackpool had done their job and just sat back, then went down to 10 men? What is frustrating is that when we sit back and protect a lead we concede.

5) We ALWAYS start slowly. I can't remember the last season when we actually had a good August. For some reason it always takes until September for us to get going.

6) A big positive, this. There is still 3 weeks left of the transfer window and we have players coming back. We have time to bring in a loanee. Unfortunately none of our injured players are central midfielders but we will have a stronger squad. It will be fine. The new players need to settle in. No need to panic.

As for Bond, it was an interview with a difference, I'll give you that. But I'm really puzzled as to what managers are meant to say as no matter what comes out it is either wrong/insincere/mad/rubbish or anything else other than the right thing to say. What is the right thing to say? What I heard was a manager being interviewed after an appalling game, where his system was shot and broken within 15 minutes, where players didn't do the job they were asked and he literally had no words, or was at least trying to find them, hence the long pauses at the start. I have no problem with a manager stating that a player is to blame for a mistake, and if the player concerned can't take that then that's his problem. As one of the senior pros, I would expect Cox was told in the dressing room that he and Humphrys were shocking and will know himself that he didn't do all that well. He might not like it (who does?) but is old enough to accept it and move on. People's perceptions of what he might think or say are possibly wide of the mark. These are pro footballers and I have no problem with them being publicly criticised if they have not done their jobs. We do it, after all!

And so in true SUFC style, we head to Lincoln next week fearing the worst. That's when we are at our best, when there are no expectations. We'll probably win.

An excellent post, especially about Oxley's overall performance and rightly picking out Humphrys being largely responsible fir us going 2 - 0 down.

THE new season felt just like the last for Southend United striker Simon Cox following Saturday’s 3-1 defeat to Blackpool at Roots Hall.

More...

Well done Grapevine, top report that. Looks like you taken my advice before i had even posted it :Winking:

Glad you kept an eye on Hutchinson, i was really impressed with his performance. As you say he was always involved and not just some skinny, bit part lad on the wing.

Not all in the stands saw it that way, probably the same people who slagged Goodship last week.

Lennon has had two really good games so far and it seems unfair on him to be a twice losing CB so far. Looks like we don't need to sign the mythical 6ft 4" out house after all.

As you say Ralph was disappointing, after people like me hyped him up. In fairness he did 'float' his first few crosses but we showed no desire to get on the end of them. So he ended up putting to much pace on them second half.......He didn't help himself with the silly challenge that lead to the first goal.

Milligan is definitely the man in the middle for us. Shaunessy is up for a battle and jumps really well.

At least all of you who slatted Bond last week now know why Humphrys really didn't start. Of course SH wasn't helped by the deliberate and sneaky elbow into his face. The fast becoming the normal poor L1 ref of course didn't spot it and there was hardly a murmer from the home fans.

I certainly won't be giving Stevenage £20. There will be changes. Shame Goodship has a twinge otherwise he could be in for Humprhrys.

I thought Hutchinson played really well. Yes he's a bit lightweight but he has the knack of being able to shake off his man with a twist and turn which gives him the space to run or pick a decent pass.

Said he found him to be arrogant amongst other stuff. I am sure Andy will have more to say when he does his usual post SUEPA visit round up.

Goodship had tweaked his groin. Spoke to him before the match. He hopes to be back for next weekend.
Ah right. Cheers

Yesterday morning I woke up and was treated to a howling wind. But that's enough about my prolific bottom half.

To be honest I was erring on the side of caution; in Stratford it was pretty strong already and was led to believe that it was worse in Southend. And having suffered Southern Rail and Thameslink's continuous ineptness the previous evening after a few scattered showers it didn't look good.

But hey, I needed to pack laundry and take it round the corner so that would give me a better idea. It was actually quite pleasant: yes, one of the traffic lights was wobbling a bit but it was quite warm and the wind wasn't overly aggressive so of course I should go to the Hall. Besides, I was looking forward to seeing the likes of Ralph, Shaughnessy and Milligan in the flesh for the first time.

As the train ploughed through Billericay I browsed the teamsheet. Hmmm, Ridgewell, that's a bit early isn't it? To be fair, he probably thought the same; it looked like he'd only just woken up.

So yes, on to the game. Very windy so why not play some ridiculous Hollywood crossfield passes. Surely that will work? Fair play to Blackpool, they adapted to the conditions with no fuss. Being in the South Upper meant I couldn't see what happened for their first goal although it was obvious to me that it wasn't exactly well handled by the Ox. A rather stray pass by Humphrys left us thin and Delfonso finished a delicious through ball for 2-0. And more godawful pinball defending for their third.

On the rare occasions that we got the ball down we actually looked quite good. Yes, it can be frustrating watching a slow build-up but sometimes it really is needed, the equaliser against Pompey being an example.

Anyway, we were much better after the break, albeit handed momentum by a bizarre and reckless challenge on Elvis. It looked awful from where I was and a deserved red. I'd have been furious if I was Simon Grayson, although subbing Delfonso seemed a weird one as all of a sudden there was no out ball for them.

I left the ground confused. There's definitely a good team in there but it's likely going to be a while before we see it unless Bond takes a good hard look at how to get the best out of the players collectively.

Let's face it, we were largely awful yesterday and our decision-making on the ball was, to be frank, beyond terrible (and satire). But equally, let's give Blackpool credit. They looked an excellent and well-balanced team, and of course have a brilliant front two in Grandiellet * and Delfonso, so will be a match for everyone in the division. Play-offs at least I reckon.

The next two games are crucial: if we lose at Stevenage (possible) and Lincoln (probable) we'll be in trouble, as will Bond, although I think Ron will give him a chance and wait at least a couple of months to make a decision. The transfer window is still open so it will be easier to judge our progress (or lack of it) in a few weeks time. Bond certainly needs to up his game, though; that's two weeks in a row he has picked a questionable starting eleven.

* I'm sure I've spelt his name wrong but I can't be bothered to check.

Really good to here the independent views of someone with no axe to grind. I personally won't consider weighing in with any calls for managerial change until, at least, the end of September, if things haven't turned around. We're two games into a new season, for heaven's sake!
For me, there were two huge factors and a couple of others that helped create a perfect storm against us yesterday; one was man-made the other was a natural force. The decision to play an unfit Ridgewell was sadly a disaster and if there is a criticism of Bond, he should have held his hands up and admitted it was a mistake rather than firstly blaming other players. (perhaps he did?,.........I haven't directly heard his post-match interview). The second factor was the loss of the toss and the obligation to play against the wind in the first-half. In cricket the toss can be a crucial factor in the game's outcome, generally it doesn't have that much importance in football...............it did yesterday! In cricket you can, as the Aussies showed, claw your way back from a very poor start.........in football it's rather more difficult. Coming back from three down at half-time has the demoralising factor, amongst others, added in. Two other things were important considerations. Apparently Humphrys took an early blow to his nose, which may have been a reason for his below par performance and Cox didn't appear totally fit.
The normal reaction from yesterday is, a bad day at the office............get over it and look forward to next week. Football is a tough and remorseless affair! Like Norwich, the last place you'd like to start your season is with a visit to Anfield.................the prospect of Sincil Bank next Saturday seems no more endearing. The idea of a moral boosting victory in the Carabao Cup and a chance of progressing to the Second Round (for the first time in a hundred years?...............well it feels like it :Smile: ) are less straightforward than I would have hoped for. Both sides have made a terrible start to the season, so something has to give. My worry is that Cox may not be risked, Goodship is still likely to be sidelined and will Humphrys start??? What then are the alternatives................starting with Robinson????

First game for over two seasons. Tough watch and certainly gives some context around the glass half empty commentary that I regularly read on SZ.

Don't want to repeat many of the informed reviews above but would say I was sat immediately behind what I assume to be two opposition scouts (although why would they be seated in the directors' box?) - and was able to read their first half notes. Complimentary about Blackpool- "fast starters, quick passing, kept it simple". Less so about Southend - "Ridgewell gone; GK weak; sh*t goal; very very slow - no pace".

Visiting Roots Hall continues to be like your first girlfriend - is ageing terribly but still can't shift her from your heart!!

Whilst I don't agree with the ironic cheering, I certainly wasn't surprised by it. But I blame KB here, why not make the change at half time, which would have completely avoided a reaction like that!!!

Really good post

KB has never managed at this level, and it shows, the buck stops with him, although some players need to look in the mirror, no names but there are about half this team. Fingers crossed KB learns very quickly, at this level you can not pass your way to the opposition goal. Stop this passing sideways and backwards Tactics and personal are the managers choice, start getting it right KB and quick.

KB has never managed at this level, and it shows, the buck stops with him, although some players need to look in the mirror, no names but there are about half this team. Fingers crossed KB learns very quickly, at this level you can not pass your way to the opposition goal. Stop this passing sideways and backwards Tactics and personal are the managers choice, start getting it right KB and quick.

He managed Bournemouth in LG1

Back