• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Post-Match Thread and Ratings Southend United 1-3 Bradford City

Agree on the 3 at the back. Doesn’t work. Looked really comfortable in the 4231 we were playing a few weeks back. Not 100% sure why we’ve abandoned it
I agree with that. 3 at the back doesn't work with us its just confused us more.

probably the same as everyone else really getting reallly fed up with the lock down, the bad news and having family working in the NHS - carers etc - vulnerable family members and would not mind the vaccination please - please - but waiting my turn patiently ....

AND on top of it all -

football being a big release valve being off and then the complete and utter sh@t show at Southend United is not helpful...

So 92nd in the league is what i never could have imagined .. ..

I never thought it could happen to us..

So apologise if I have been rude or narky but am really upset with the situation ..

compared with the situation n the hospitals or what some families are facing it is really really unimportant

BUT still a blooming blow .. ffs ..

can't even shout at the ref - same for everyone I guess ..

You haven't been rude, just speaking your mind like the rest of us.

To be honest I am past being disappointed now and have no expectations anymore.
It is making me fall out of my love for the game and all I am seeing is poor amateurish players who are simply just not good enough but, SUFC will always be my club and I will continue to support it.
I may not like it very much but my loyalty stays with it

This side unfortunately just not good enough at its present state! Conceding lots of goals and not scoring many kinda tells you we are where we deserve to be.

Well, what to say? Let's start with the good points from tonight's match. Elvis scored a good goal, showing strength and persistence. We didn't let our heads drop after conceding the first goal and fought back well. The Ox made some very good saves. We created three good chances.

That's it. Everything else was mediocre, poor or terrible. The pitch and the pouring rain didn't help, nor did the injuries and suspension, but we really aren't good enough unless we can put out our strongest side, which we usually can't.

The frustrating thing is that we are unable to take the good chances we create. Bradford's Rowe and Evans showed us how to do it. It all seems so inevitable at the moment.

However, onward to Port Vale which has become a vital match for us.

Well, what to say? Let's start with the good points from tonight's match. Elvis scored a good goal, showing strength and persistence. We didn't let our heads drop after conceding the first goal and fought back well. The Ox made some very good saves. We created three good chances.

That's it. Everything else was mediocre, poor or terrible. The pitch and the pouring rain didn't help, nor did the injuries and suspension, but we really aren't good enough unless we can put out our strongest side, which we usually can't.

The frustrating thing is that we are unable to take the good chances we create. Bradford's Rowe and Evans showed us how to do it. It all seems so inevitable at the moment.

Please, please don't say, or anyone else for that matter, 'this has become a vital match for us'.
They've been that for months, and I think that just ramps up the pressure for a squad who's not up to it.

Oxley 6
Bwomono 6
Hobson 6
White 5
Cordner 7 MOTM
Hart 5
Demetriou 5
Taylor K 5
RHF 5
Akinola 6
ANG 6

Taylor R 4
Acquah 4

I have no words, cannot believe did not get 1 point from 3 home games. Shrimpet was expecting 9 ?
Bench said it all, they bring on Donaldson and we throw on R Taylor & Acquah up top. Cordner looked ok but oh to have a seasoned striker like Danny Rowe. Painful viewing

Some real baffling stuff in that 'performance'. As noted by the commentary team, why did we have 3 men marking Rowe? and why, when even I could see that was an odd choice, was it persisted with when the team was clearly getting over run in midfield.
I praised MM and the coaches previously for being a good in-game manager but tonight and actually the last few games, they haven't seemed to have noticed, or have been too stubborn, to change things that clearly needed changing.

I'm really scratching my head with MM and wondering if he and his team can put another run together like December or whether they just struck lucky. What I do know is that he needs some centre forwards, they don't even need to score many goals, just some kind of presence up front. And sadly, I think we need more than 1 to come in and I can't see that happening.

Isn't all the criticism aimed at Elvis over the top? From reading the comments about him alone you'd think he was our best finisher and that he missed a sitter and be ignorant to the fact he's a full-back who had already managed to equalise for us and has a notoriously poor finish (Walsall away in 2019, anyone?). If one of the worst finishers in the team is the one left having to get the shots off you keep the tactic and you train that player to finish better or find a teammate, or you scrap that tactic.

We just played 3 teams, all in top 7 of the six game form table, on a worsening pitch after enduring a tough and draining 0-0 the Saturday before. Three losses is disappointing but in the context, what some people were expecting is laughable.

We've now got a handful of days to pick ourselves up, mentally get back in the groove and prepare to turnover an opponant we can quite handily turnover on paper.

Some real baffling stuff in that 'performance'. As noted by the commentary team, why did we have 3 men marking Rowe? and why, when even I could see that was an odd choice, was it persisted with when the team was clearly getting over run in midfield.
I praised MM and the coaches previously for being a good in-game manager but tonight and actually the last few games, they haven't seemed to have noticed, or have been too stubborn, to change things that clearly needed changing.

I'm really scratching my head with MM and wondering if he and his team can put another run together like December or whether they just struck lucky. What I do know is that he needs some centre forwards, they don't even need to score many goals, just some kind of presence up front. And sadly, I think we need more than 1 to come in and I can't see that happening.

Well said and that is my point on this formation. It's not even if we have been working on it most of the season. 4 at the back was working fine (bar Orient), so why suddenly change it. Did MM get over confident after December and start to get clever.

What now worries me is it took him over 10 games to change from the stupid tippy tappy football at the start of the season (which IMO cost us a number of points) so is it going to take another 10 games to ditch this formation tinkering!

Isn't all the criticism aimed at Elvis over the top? From reading the comments about him alone you'd think he was our best finisher and that he missed a sitter and be ignorant to the fact he's a full-back who had already managed to equalise for us and has a notoriously poor finish (Walsall away in 2019, anyone?). If one of the worst finishers in the team is the one left having to get the shots off you keep the tactic and you train that player to finish better or find a teammate, or you scrap that tactic.

We just played 3 teams, all in top 7 of the six game form table, on a worsening pitch after enduring a tough and draining 0-0 the Saturday before. Three losses is disappointing but in the context, what some people were expecting is laughable.

We've now got a handful of days to pick ourselves up, mentally get back in the groove and prepare to turnover an opponant we can quite handily turnover on paper.

We were not in that top 6 of the form table before Cambridge having won 3/4 home games on the trot - therefore I expected better than 3 defeats out of 3!!

That’s just it.....Ox made 3 or 4 good saves and they still scored 3.....there bloke had nothing to do!
Individually we’ve got players that would get in to other League 2 sides....like the new defender, Kyle Taylor is decent on the ball, HF is decent, and so are a few others.
Unfortunately the coach ain’t got a clue what to do with them.....toothless, static and negative.

We’ve had it unless he changes the game plan and we get in at least 2 new players in , in the next 4 days.....pathetic last 3 efforts and all the other teams can go up a gear and our gears are sideways and reverse!

I'm not sure whether it was Paul Clark who said it, or whether he was quoting somebody else. but it went something along the lines of 'Are we a bad side that had a good patch, or a good side that's hit a bad patch?' Food for thought for me at the moment.
That takes all of er, two seconds to work out. The former.

I'm struggling for words to describe how I feel after that performance. Maybe you can post your opinions and ratings.
What game was u watching? Didnt think Bradford was better then us and on another night elvis scores his 2nd and we go 2-1 up! That game could of quite easily finished 3-3 we was poor defensively but we kept going forward and created chances we couldn't finish! That was a good game of football and I was thoroughly entertained!

What game was u watching? Didnt think Bradford was better then us and on another night elvis scores his 2nd and we go 2-1 up! That game could of quite easily finished 3-3 we was poor defensively but we kept going forward and created chances we couldn't finish! That was a good game of football and I was thoroughly entertained!

Let's forget that Bradford could have been 3-0 up in the first 20 minutes

Back