• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Paul Clark was saying last night that players have to take responsibility with JET in that he only has one foot. So all the players had to do was be aware that he's going to go left and shoot with the left foot.

I agree with Clark in as far as their 2nd needed closing down better, but to dismiss jet simply for being one footed as if that makes it easy to defend against him is either naive or deliberately poking and prodding away at a point to provoke discussion. Jet has the power and pace to beat virtually anyone at this level as well as great close control. That is why players find it difficult to play against him.

Well, I witnessed both games, and not a lot there was between them.

The most worrying thing for me is the lack of any bite in midfield, or any pacey breaks. To be fair to Mr Brown, during his early period at the club, the midfield he put together was an absolute unit, switching between defence and attack quickly and in unison – you knew that once we had won the ball, there would be players streaming forward to overwhelm the opposition. Now though? Absent, presumably without leave, but it’s hard to be sure.

Once again a reasonable first half followed by a second half collapse. For all his nonsense chat, Mr Brown has been comprehensively taken apart by a manager who is, in theory at least, well, well below him in thefootball echelon.

Yes JET is a fearsome player, who was a class above anyone else on the pitch, but the real issue for me is the lack of energy in midfield, players looked listless and directionless – too many times the ball was played square or backwards because there was no forward movement, and once again they were allowed to regroup. It’s all very well having creative players (even assuming that we do have some), but all the sublime passes in the world won’t amount to anything if there’s no one available on the end of them.

Anyway, ratings:
Oxley: 5 I don’t think he’s a terrible keeper, far too soon to judge that, but I would have liked him to make more saves. Three would have been a start.
Demetriou: 6 Did ok, but I would rather he went wide more, he was pulled into the middle a lot, whether to cover or not, I’m not sure.
Sokolik 6.5 Little bit shaky, but on the whole solid enough, few poor passes,few good passes, in general, glad to see him back.
White 6.5 Not bad, without being remarkable in any way.
Coker 6 Far short of his swashbuckling best sadly, but this may be down to the fact that the team doesn’t seem to be on the same wavelength which will stop him going forward with any confidence.
O'Neill 4 I really like O’Neill, but on this showing he is not a right winger. Shame.
Leonard 6 Workmanlike, but makes a mockery of his and Brown’s pre-season comments that he would be a more attacking midfielder this season. We actually do need him to make some of his trademark marauding runs, ending in the standard foul. I’m not sure I have seen him grab the ball out of the air once yet this season. Disappointing.
King: 6.5 Worked hard enough but with the team so all at sea around him it’s hard to say anything else about him. Didn’t set the world alight but looks good enough quality.
McLaughlin: 7 scored and looks full of running, we need players like this to take a chance every once in a while – it’s no coincidence he is scoring goals with his forward drive.
Mooney 4.This man drives me to distraction. Spends most of the game on his arse appealing for fouls that are never going to get given, when he should concentrate on playing the damn game instead. Still, not sure he was offside, which is a minor miracle in itself.
Cox 6 – certainly works hard, and is very obviously trying to build a partnership with Mooney which is good to see, however, what would be better to see is that partnership actually start to work.
McGlashan 6 - not enough time, should have come on much sooner, looks sharp and up for it, which is what we need.
Bridge –6.5 – not enough time but just looks quality, made some excellent challenges, can’t wait for him to nail down a starting place, which surely can’t be tool ong coming.
Williams –1. Sorry (again) Jason. Found his level at Chelmsford last season. Offers us nothing in this league. Really hope I’m wrong about him, but at this stage I’d rather have Bedsente Gomis in the team.

Phil Brown: 1, for the one goal we scored. I have a surprising amount of patience, but it has now virtually run out. I am sick of the claptrap he spouts in the media, otherwise to be honest I'd probably not be so cross with him. Anyway, on to the next one.

Did we make the same mistakes again?

Yes we conceded 3 goals and only scored the once.:blush: And PB was allowed in the dressing room at half time to practice his cure for insomnia speaking, CD to be released soon and likely to be best seller.

Seriously, we were a tad better but when they equalised everyone just knew what would happen.
JET's late goal (the 3rd) flatters them a trifle.

PB will have to pick his selection very carefully for Saturday.
Stand out (for wrong reasons and benching) are Oxley, Coker, O'Neill and Mooney.

And PB needs to get the players back into a positive mind set, I suggest he thinks more Barry Fry and less George Graham for tactics;-that is score more and worry less about trying to win 1 nil.

Yes we conceded 3 goals and only scored the once.:blush: And PB was allowed in the dressing room at half time to practice his cure for insomnia speaking, CD to be released soon and likely to be best seller.

Seriously, we were a tad better but when they equalised everyone just knew what would happen.
JET's late goal (the 3rd) flatters them a trifle.

PB will have to pick his selection very carefully for Saturday.
Stand out (for wrong reasons and benching) are Oxley, Coker, O'Neill and Mooney.

And PB needs to get the players back into a positive mind set, I suggest he thinks more Barry Fry and less George Graham for tactics;-that is score more and worry less about trying to win 1 nil.

We did not sit back at 1-0. We attacked and had 3 or 4 good chances to make it 2-0. We had more shots than them, including headers and free kicks but without testing their keeper. Cox had plenty of balls played into him from mid-field, far more than Gillingham's front two.

As I said on another post Coker should have crossed as Lenny was at the far post. When the move broke down with plenty of our players committed forward they broke to easy and forced the corner. We all know how dangerous they can be and sure enough they scored.

you dont need to man mark him, just take some responsibility if you see he is free

He destroyed us on Saturday
Did it look as though we had any form of plan to stop him yesterday?

I don't mind if we try something and it doesn't work - fair enough. But there was no plan last night. No one took responsibility, we didn't put two on him as soon as he got the ball , we didn't have one person try and man mark him - we repeated what we did on Saturday and surprise srprise it had the same result. Maybe nome of those things would have worked, but at least we would have tried . Giving the best player on the pitch loads of space isn't my idea of a plan

I know what Deegan would have done to him !!:thump:

We did not sit back at 1-0. We attacked and had 3 or 4 good chances to make it 2-0. We had more shots than them, including headers and free kicks but without testing their keeper. Cox had plenty of balls played into him from mid-field, far more than Gillingham's front two.

As I said on another post Coker should have crossed as Lenny was at the far post. When the move broke down with plenty of our players committed forward they broke to easy and forced the corner. We all know how dangerous they can be and sure enough they scored.

IYO, & to a point maybe not as much as in the previous 6 defeats BUT in the 2nd half GC was shouting at Lenny to stay back and he could not go forward if King was, one to stay back. Not a big deal and prudent might be said but at the same time stifling and slowing of flow.
And a change, negatively, from the first, and much better, half.
The answer, as to if it was the right advice, is in the result surely?

Had we gone through we would have faced Watford at Vicarage Road. Good luck to Gillingham.

Manor15 has a valid point.

Although we all never like watching Southend lose a game.

Perhaps losing the cup game could possibly work out for us in Hindsight (in our time of need), especially considering the limited numbers of players we currently have in the squad, the last thing our current team needs is playing additional games.

That being said, I was very confident of us comfortably beating Stevenage in the EFL Ttophy, until they knocked out Ipswich last night!

Considering the "crisis" Shrimperzone thinks we are in... I say.. concentrate on the league, and let the others have additional fixture build up's, which could give us the small advantage on the match day that matters.

UTB.

Not a good point. Winning is good, losing is bad......and a habit.............confidence is good, less income is bad.

Couldn't be bothered to come on and do a report, and now too long has passed. Couple of observations, I thought both Sokolik and White did a better job than Thompson and Barrett had. JET was given far too much respect and space and people just backed off him when he was running with the ball - and he wasn't even that good, just got some lucky bounces and had the belief he could do something.

I was impressed with King, but he showed a bit of naivety at times. I would like the old Lenny back please, the one who charges forward with the ball. Demetriou had a markedly better game than Saturday. Cox has an intelligent brain but is lacking a final shot.

The Gills no 2 is a dirty git. Elbowed McLaughlin in the head Saturday and did the same in this game.

Still far too much sideways and backwards passing. Off to Sheffield on Tuesday so really hoping things improve by then.

Back