• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Post-Match Thread and Ratings Southend United 1-4 AFC Wimbledon

Really? Ask Hump, he may disagree.
Humphrys was only signed on loan in January, so played no part in our 'rise' to 9th place on Jan 1. In the 7 games he played before his injury we won just one of them, drawing 3 and losing 3. We were thus already on the slide and there is nothing to suggest that his presence in the next 7 games would have dramatically changed things, and indeed his appearances this season would seem to reinforce that.

Humphrys was only signed on loan in January, so played no part in our 'rise' to 9th place on Jan 1. In the 7 games he played before his injury we won just one of them, drawing 3 and losing 3. We were thus already on the slide and there is nothing to suggest that his presence in the next 7 games would have dramatically changed things, and indeed his appearances this season would seem to reinforce that.
You stated that there were no significant injuries, he was both a significant signing and a significant injury. I would argue that had he not be assaulted at Accers and their gk been sent off as he should have been then that draw would have been a win AND the rest? Anyone's guess.
My main point is the injuries, significant (and those of a few missed games) were a factor that needs noting realistically, not statistically turned however suits a point of issue.

You stated that there were no significant injuries, he was both a significant signing and a significant injury. I would argue that had he not be assaulted at Accers and their gk been sent off as he should have been then that draw would have been a win AND the rest? Anyone's guess.
My main point is the injuries, significant (and those of a few missed games) were a factor that needs noting realistically, not statistically turned however suits a point of issue.
Subjective judgements and hypotheses are no substitute for the facts. To reiterate, before his injury, he played seven games, only one of which we won.

My first home game since Bolton in 2017, oh, what a time to come back!

The first ten minutes were awful to put it mildly, at least things began to improve after Lennon went off. I hadn't seen Elvis live before, I was too young to witness his Vegas residency (ba-boom tish!) and I was impressed with him. Every time we attacked he was a good outlet.

Things were nicely poised at half-time going in 2-1 down but giving away that penalty so quickly after halftime killed off the fightback.

The substitutions, the good was that Tom Hopper was given a run-out on his road back to match fitness. But Elvis being taken off just felt like Waddock giving Ron a Foxtrot Uniform on the way out.

In a weird symmetry, this season is feeling a lot like our ill-fated season 10 years ago in 2009/10, at least that side had some decent players left over from our Championship days and we were able to sell Barnard to help pay off the HMRC, but ultimately back then players weren't getting paid to the point where they were able to walk away for free. I guess the main constant in both these scenarios is Uncle Ron. Oh, and nothing was happening with the stadium back then either.

Subjective judgements and hypotheses are no substitute for the facts. To reiterate, before his injury, he played seven games, only one of which we won.

Here is a fact...... Humphrys is still suffering from the Injury he received at Accrington.

So not only was it CP that paid a price but it didn't help Bond either.

Last edited:
Here is a fact...... Humphrys is still suffering from the Injury he received at Accrington.

So not only was it CP that paid a price but it didn't help Bond either.
I suspect that Coxy is carrying an injury too, and in better times he would be allowed rest and recovery yet, like last season is playing on while others may be using their injuries to cry off.
As I said earlier in this thread Lennon possibly started the game with an injury.

ANOTHER Saturday meant another afternoon full of familiar frustration, despair, disappointment and ultimately defeat for Southend United.

More...

Back