• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Post-Match Thread and Ratings Southend United 1-4 AFC Wimbledon

It is not a question of sulking and moping. I just find it hard to find positives after handing YET ANOTHER team their first away win of the season without barely breaking sweat.
I hope we get a manager who can find positives to build on. SOON.
What did I expect? Just to remind you we were playing a side who before last week were winless this season.
And?
And that old chestnut "learn from the lessons". Well, 12 games in and 4 points. We don't seem to be learning too quickly do we?
No, maybe with a manager we might, some guidance from the dugout was SO needed today BUT Waddock and co said/did nothing.
And one other thing, it might help if the players were more honest with themselves and with the club with regard to illness and injury.
I'm afraid it doesn't wash with me.
When exactly did Mantom and Humphrys get injured? Hyam too?
I bet your bottom dollar if we were vying for a top two position, these mysterious illnesses and injuries would soon disappear.
For sure these mystery injuries are an issue the next manager needs to deal with, BUT (Hump aside) the other two aren't a great loss and likely would NOT have worked/tried as much as Hutch,Hammy or Dieng did.

Have been supporting 50 years. I am struggling to remember it this bad.

Difficult to know where to start. Positives?

Elvis.
The return of Hopper.
Hamilton had his best game for us.

Err... that's about it.

We cannot keep playing handicap football by giving teams a 2 goal start. I am somehow stupidly somehow encouraged by the fact that the players clearly aren't working hard enough or for each other; it's not an ability thing.

If a new manager can get them to ALL put in a shift, we should be able to get ourselves out of this mess.

But Ron needs to get this sorted and fast. The club is drifting and in limbo. Let's have some certainty. And I do feel he is doing his best. We must remember that if there is one person who does NOT want us to drop it is him and he will be financially hurt the most if we do.

Please, please, please let's have it sorted by the weekend.

Giving Bond the job?
It's very easy with hindsight.

If Bond hadn't got the job, and it had gone badly, there would have been a clamour to say he SHOULD have got the job having kept us up.

I don't think anyone realised how bad it was going to be in fairness.

I just hope that Ron puts Waddock out his misery sooner rather than later. I do feel for the bloke, it won’t be like he’ll have clubs queuing up for him after this. He’s tried, just too big a mountain for him to climb and clearly some of the players ain’t fussed to play for him as they know he’s going to be moving on. I’d be astounded if a new man comes in and we see such a low performance first game. If we do, we really are in trouble.

For sure these mystery injuries are an issue the next manager needs to deal with, BUT (Hump aside) the other two aren't a great loss and likely would NOT have worked/tried as much as Hutch,Hammy or Dieng did.
I half agree with you about those that played who you quoted (although I have generally been unimpressed with Hamilton). And I am no fan of Mantom either, but I am just using him as an example of players with minor knocks or illnesses who are using these as excuses to not play. I think the whole squad is a mess and I think a lack of discipline is half the problem. Sadly the other half of the problem is lack of ability which will be far harder to rectify.

Have been supporting 50 years. I am struggling to remember it this bad.

Difficult to know where to start. Positives?

Elvis.
The return of Hopper.
Hamilton had his best game for us.

Err... that's about it.

We cannot keep playing handicap football by giving teams a 2 goal start. I am somehow stupidly somehow encouraged by the fact that the players clearly aren't working hard enough or for each other; it's not an ability thing.

If a new manager can get them to ALL put in a shift, we should be able to get ourselves out of this mess.

But Ron needs to get this sorted and fast. The club is drifting and in limbo. Let's have some certainty. And I do feel he is doing his best. We must remember that if there is one person who does NOT want us to drop it is him and he will be financially hurt the most if we do.

Please, please, please let's have it sorted by the weekend.
It was grim in the late 60's and 70's.

SOUTHEND United’s caretaker chief Gary Waddock felt the Shrimpers gave themselves a mountain to climb during an ‘unacceptable’ 4-1 defeat to AFC Wimbledon.

More...

Terrible first ten minutes but I genuinely thought we was the better team after that till half time and we actually played the best stuff I’ve this season Hamilton, Dieng and Hutchinson looked okay. Second half abysmal. We need new centre backs. I’d give that Taylor a go can’t be any worse than what we have

Macca 9 - got stuck in prepared to mix it

Elvis - 9.5 - terrible how all these seasoned pros are relying on a kid of 20
to drive the team

Dieng - 6 - can do the job

Hamilton 6 - runs and competes and covers

Hutch - 6 - needs to learn how to fight and battle - talented but needs to learn its very hard game and you need to get some battle scars

Cox - 5 - trying to manage the team instead of playing

Shaggassey 1 - disaster

Lennon - 1 sorry its looks like your body can't take it

Kiernon - 2 - disaster but looks better

Ralph 2 - someone tell him to get goal side of attackers

Oxley - 6 - shop stopper
Oxley - 1 corners and crosses
Oxley - 1 - distribution
Oxley - 1 -sweeper - control of box

Goodship 1 - looks scared - should be in the reserves for 6 months - the least he should do is run himself stupid but he doesn't

Humphries - -1 - something wrong with him ??

Hopper 9 - looked like a rolls royce compared to every other player-

The penalty killed it as a game -

You cannot expect to win games in this league carrying players - and we are always carrying 2 or 3..

Wimbledon had some nasties and only Macca (and Cox a bit) were prepared to stand up to them ...

Turners legs might have gone but he how to defend a corner or free kick -
It seems like a question of organisation and leadership and direction and a large amount of experience is needed ....

I don't think the squad lacks talent

Terrible first ten minutes but I genuinely thought we was the better team after that till half time and we actually played the best stuff I’ve this season Hamilton, Dieng and Hutchinson looked okay. Second half abysmal. We need new centre backs. I’d give that Taylor a go can’t be any worse than what we have
Spot on with this.

to drive the team

Hutch - 6 - needs to learn how to fight and battle - talented but needs to learn its very hard game and you need to get some battle scars

Shaggassey 1 - disaster

Oxley - 6 - shop stopper
Oxley - 1 - distribution

Goodship 1 - looks scared - should be in the reserves for 6 months - the least he should do is run himself stupid but he doesn't

You cannot expect to win games in this league carrying players - and we are always carrying 2 or 3..

Wimbledon had some nasties and only Macca (and Cox a bit) were prepared to stand up to them ...

It seems like a question of organisation and leadership and direction and a large amount of experience is needed ....

Humphrys??? He wasn’t even in the squad.

to drive the team

Shaggassey 1 - disaster

Oxley - 6 - shop stopper
Oxley - 1 - distribution

Are paralytic drunk?

I mean that’s the most wide of the mark assessment of today’s game I could ever read.....with the most outrageous statement being Macca being graded over a 3!!!

Hump was surely missed today, the wombles keeper was not really tested yet spilled a few shots. Not challenged at corners either. A couple of free kicks we had came to nought from good positions and a Hump blast is a real weapon.
Also Hump defends corners well which Coxy and Goodship don't have the size for.
Unless he is properly injured or ill then for sure the rest of the squad will feel let down by him, AND Cox and Hopper will be the obvious starters.

Are paralytic drunk?

I mean that’s the most wide of the mark assessment of today’s game I could ever read.....with the most outrageous statement being Macca being graded over a 3!!!

you see hims and Cox are probably the most accomplished players on the pitch -

but i forget you know everything and are always, always right ..

hey ho - enjoy being angry ;-)

Back