• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Post-Match Thread and Ratings Southend United 1, Cheltenham Town 2

Evening Echo

The News
INJURY-HIT Southend United missed out on the chance of moving up in to the automatic promotion places with a 2-1 defeat against play off rivals Cheltenham Town at Roots Hall tonight.

More...

Very dissapointed tonight. Two sloppy goals has cost us the game against a team only interested in hoof ball. We had the chances to score more than the one goal. Thought the ref was poor and missed a couple of clear penalties. Overall I thought we did well with a patchwork team. The boys battled hard but just didnt get the breaks in front of goal. Had reeves gone down or scored in the first minute, it could have been different. The new lad did well considering he only got to the ground at 6pm. Britt looked fitter than recently and prosser and Spillane looked better second half. Would start Leonard and hurst in the middle on Saturday with the young lads out wide. PS has said that Laird is now out with a hamstring. Also didn't think Britt was offside either. Finally their manager a complete **** mouthing off to our fans at the end. It's a shame for football that a team like that are in the automatic places. UTB

Agreed, although we wasn't great, we certainly did not deserve to lose. If a neutral watched that gaame, you wouldn't be inspired to watch League Two football when you consider the teams were battling for third spot.

Didn't see the penalty incident if I am honest although the Echo report states a silly and rash tackle for Woodyard. Personally, I think Woodyard has been found out now, he offers us very little in my opinion, also in a time when we have team full of kids, it may be worth handing the more experienced Spicer a run out.

Second goal was a complete balls up, not sure whether to blame the poor Spillane (Bad again) or Smith - maybe a combination of the two.

Assombolonga missed chance first half, maybe Reeves could have done better with his chances. Corr should have shot when clean through second half and at times the ball just wouldn't drop for us.

I'm seriously worried with all these injuries and Sturrock reluctance to involve the massiveley experienced Harris and Eastwood.

Nothing much to add to the obvious. Spine of the team missing, no leadership. Far too lightweight in midfield. Woodyard had a torrid first half, Spillane looked a fish out of water at centre back and Smith was back to his nervous self of a few weeks ago. Saying that, Cheltenham werent that great, just had more muscle in the middle of the park and were very strong at the back. Corr hardly won a header all night but I cannot understand why Britt was on the bench. Puzzling tactics from Luggy.
Not sure how many loans we can get but we desperately need a strong centre midfielder.
Bright spots were a decent debut from Mayor and Reeves who frankly was a class above his team mates and deserved his goal. Ref was awful, as were his assistants.
I also still maintain that somewhere the real Anthony Straker is gagged and tied up in a car boot or a disused warehouse, and this guy we have got has stolen his identity, as he was absolute toilet once again. I cannot understand how we could swap Gilbert who was steady if unspectacular and pay Aldershot money to take Straker off their hands. No wonder Prosser looked a bag of nerves playing alongside him.

No surprise the crowd was so low, Roots Hall has not been an entertaining place this season, despite an improvement in the quality of football (At times). Dont think it helps that the pitch is looking very poor, plenty of ballooned shots by both teams tonight, catching bobbles and divots.

Nothing much to add to the obvious. Spine of the team missing, no leadership. Far too lightweight in midfield. Woodyard had a torrid first half, Spillane looked a fish out of water at centre back and Smith was back to his nervous self of a few weeks ago. Saying that, Cheltenham werent that great, just had more muscle in the middle of the park and were very strong at the back. Corr hardly won a header all night but I cannot understand why Britt was on the bench. Puzzling tactics from Luggy.
Not sure how many loans we can get but we desperately need a strong centre midfielder.
Bright spots were a decent debut from Mayor and Reeves who frankly was a class above his team mates and deserved his goal. Ref was awful, as were his assistants.
I also still maintain that somewhere the real Anthony Straker is gagged and tied up in a car boot or a disused warehouse, and this guy we have got has stolen his identity, as he was absolute toilet once again. I cannot understand how we could swap Gilbert who was steady if unspectacular and pay Aldershot money to take Straker off their hands. No wonder Prosser looked a bag of nerves playing alongside him.

No surprise the crowd was so low, Roots Hall has not been an entertaining place this season, despite an improvement in the quality of football (At times). Dont think it helps that the pitch is looking very poor, plenty of ballooned shots by both teams tonight, catching bobbles and divots.

He wasn't that good!

PS called it right on his post match radio interview.
Cheltenham were not good and if Cressie wasn't banned this would likely have been 3 pts. That red card is hurting us BAD.
The injuries are out of general control.

If Cheltenham are third serving up that mindless garbage then football is dying. Clearly the only tactic was to kick the ball as high in the air as possible giving them plenty of time to get in position to foul us while doing a jedi-mind trick on the incompetent referee.. Horrible Horrible team. The moment any player went near them they jump to the floor screaming. We were too honest tonight... but to be fair even a stonewall pen wouldnt have gone our way tonight. I'm still raging now and had to go for a long drive after the game to calm down - didnt work.

If Cheltenham are third serving up that mindless garbage then football is dying. Clearly the only tactic was to kick the ball as high in the air as possible giving them plenty of time to get in position to foul us while doing a jedi-mind trick on the incompetent referee.. Horrible Horrible team. The moment any player went near them they jump to the floor screaming. We were too honest tonight... but to be fair even a stonewall pen wouldnt have gone our way tonight. I'm still raging now and had to go for a long drive after the game to calm down - didnt work.

I share your pain. Their forum ain't much cop either. Hardly a soul commenting that they're up to third. Oxford were way better than them...

The reason we're third is that with the players we have, we are generally capable of shutting teams out and not conceding many goals, and with the quality we have up front we don't need many chances to score. No point complaining, we've had a fair few points dropped that we feel are undeserved... No use dwelling on what might've been, you can't afford to make 2 crucial ****-ups in defence at the end of the day.

The reason we're third is that with the players we have, we are generally capable of shutting teams out and not conceding many goals, and with the quality we have up front we don't need many chances to score. No point complaining, we've had a fair few points dropped that we feel are undeserved... No use dwelling on what might've been, you can't afford to make 2 crucial ****-ups in defence at the end of the day.

It wasn't a penalty and if it was then why weren't we given one for the foul on Leonard in the second half, in fact there were two in the space of a few seconds? Disallowed wasn't offside either I think. We deserved a draw at least.

I couldn't see it clearly at the time, but just seen the penalty on sky sports news. It was a penalty. Silly 'tackle' by Woodyard as the player was going nowhere.

I didn't see any of our penalties on SSN, some of those looked shoe-ins at the time.

Just saw the goals.

Completely stupid tackle by Woodyard. As bazza says the player was going nowhere

Poor from Spillane (I think) for the second with a terrible header

Great goal by Reeves, very classy finish

Really didn't think Straker was that bad. I can't help but think there is sone scape goating going on. He wasn't great but he was no worse than corr, hurst, Spillane, woodyard etc.

The crowd was 3908 I think, very poor attendance with only 86 from Cheltenham. When was the last time we had a crowd that low for a league game? Still gutted about tonight, really didnt deserve to lose and their **** of a manager was a disgrace at the end gesturing to the home fans, really wound me up.

First goal was such an odd penalty to concede! No doubt it was a pen but was such a needless foul and so far from winning the ball and that was the start of a bad night for poor woody!

Second I don't know whose fault if Spillane should have cleared it or smith claimed however it shouldn't be happening

We then got unlucky second half and created more chances!

Was very impressed and excited by mayor! Looked good with both feet and dribbled well, ball stayed close to his feet when sprinting. Think he may be the LM we have been missing

Reeves looked good also, and thought Brit looked a bit closer to being back!

Disappointed with straker, Prosser who won nothing in the air all night, woodyard who had one of those nights and corr who needs to jump off the ground!

It was always going to be a game were we might struggle, with so many out, so forget and move on, it aint the end of the world. Mayor and Reeves sounded good, and with Britt maybe improving with every game all is not lost. Could do with Phillips asp, that would help.

We need Phillips back for Saturday because there is no way prosser or Spillane are going to be able to deal with akinfenwa! If no Phillips then I genuinely fear another loss :(

Back