• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Post-Match Thread and Ratings Southend United 1 Leeds United 0

First time for about 3 games I've managed to do one of these. Excellent result last night and I must be honest and say that I was expecting a bit of a tonking. But the lads did themselves proud.

I thought that for the first half hour we totally dominated Leeds and shut their fans up. I doubt whether they have been bossed like that all season. Great strike from Harding who fired a free kick in from the edge of the box, Staurt Pearce style. Laurent was a handful and Leeds couldn't cope with him. Just after our goal he was on fire and got off two surprise shots, both on target and both which forced saves from the keeper. Sawyer and Christophe broke up everything in the middle and Leeds couldn't cope.

However in the last 15 minutes of the first half I thought the visitors were superb, and there was one occasion where they kept the ball for about 2 minutes before eventually winning a corner. I really didn't think that the one goal would win it. We were lucky when their defender had an air shot from about 15 yards and turned around deservedly ahead.

In the second half Leeds came at us quickly and made a couple of early chances.

I had an obscured view of Fed's save in the second half so couldn't see what happened but have heard it was a bit special.

For all their threatening Leeds posed few problems in the second half. The standard of their crossing was appalling and Fed gathered pretty much everything with ease. In fact we went closest to scoring with another Harding scorcher from a free kick.

Revell, Laurent and Sawyer all ran themselves into the ground and every player came out with credit. Tilly closed the game out with 10 minutes left with 3 substitutions and there was nearly a sending off lat on for Robinson when he flattened Grant, got booked and then squared up to him afterwards... living proof that he is thick in more ways than one.

So, bring on the Col U. Great night.

RATINGS

Federici - 8.5 - Superb performance. Made 2 or 3 fine saves and was otherwise safe and assured.

Francis - 7 - Still too casual at times but looked much happier on the right. Did ok.
Barrett - 8 - Best performance of the season. You could see how much it meant to him at the end.
Clarke - 8 - Some fantastic tackles and interventions. Excellent.
Harding - 9 - MOM - Great goal, could have had a second, and showed exactly what we have missed for the last 3 games. God I hope we can keep him.

Betsy - 7 - Didn't do anything wrong and played his part in the win. Would have liked to have seen him be a bit more selfish in front of goal.
Sawyer - 8.5 - Industrious, all action performance. Shame he has this groin niggle. Is he one of these that will just never attain the level of fitness needed?
Christophe - 8 - Works brilliantly with Sawyer. Solid and strong.
Robson-Kanu - 8 - Another one who ran himself out. Gives a great balance to the midfield.

Revell - 8.5 - Fantastic performance. Won everything in the air and seems to have struck up an immediate understanding with Laurent. Ran himself out.
Laurent - 8 - Fantastic first half hour in particular but then obviously slowed up as the pace of the game and his lack of fitness showed. Gave absolutely everything and then some. He is an awkward so-and-so to play against and will become a Blues legend. Could have had two goals with shots that would probably only emanated previously from the boots of a certain Mr Collymore or Mr Eastwood. Exciting but lets keep our feet on the floor with him.

Subs -

Grant - 7 - Did well when came on and added steel in the middle, even if he did give the ball away cheaply a couple of times.
Scannell - 6 - Thought he would have showed more industry to be honest. I know he's stocky but looked a bit heavy.
McCormack - 7 - What a great player to bring on. Struggled initially to pick up the pace.

Would give everyone a 9. Back 4 were awesome with Federici in superb form- the guy is premier league class. Midfield worked hard, perhaps some better service from the wide players was missing but thought Christophe was immense, must get him signed up on permanent. The front 2, enough has been said, almost telepathic understanding, seemed to really enjoy each others company and play. Crowd were great too and for once had a decent ref.

tonight was awesome.showed that leeds aren't a big side anymore. tonight i feel so proud to be a fan of sufc. COME ON BOYS. TAKE IT IN TO THE WEEKENDS GAME.

UTB

Morning Chap,

Not a criticism, but are you suggesting that Leeds are not a big club because we beat them?
I must point out that Leeds are a big club and we sent them and their oik fans back there with nothing but the rancid stench of defeat.

Congrats to the mighty shrimpers.
The prossie I most thoroughly serviced after the game also sends her thanks...

That's a classic. What's "restbite"!?

Yeah, like that, but otherwise its a good article, pretty spot on. Doesn't mention the penalty claim they had either towards the last 10, so perhaps it wasn't as good a shout as I thought it was from where I was sitting.

Superb performance by the boys in blue last night, Revell & Laurent looked like a great partnership. To beat the second placed team and keep a clean sheet against two quality strikers like beckford & becchio was excellent.

Federici - 8 - A couple of quality saves, and strong and commanding in the air, other than that didn't have too much to do.
Francis - 6 - Still not at his best, especially defensively but an improvement.
Harding - 8.5 - showed what we've been missing excellent game and great goal.
Barrett - 8 - some great last ditch tackles
Clarke - 7.5 - decent performance.
Christophe - 8 - Another good showing, kept the dangerous Delph quiet.
Sawyer - 8 - Full of running, looking to get forward.
Kanu - 6 - Good first half, faded badly second half.
Betsy - 7.5 - Took on players and beat them, got crosses in. Looked a thorn in Leeds side.
Revell - 8.5 - Great performance by Revs, his best yet, first half he won every header, and 9 times out of 10 found a blues player with a flick on or pass. Superb. Just a shame he panicked when through on goal in the 2nd half.
Laurent - 9 MOM - Awesome. He looks so awkward but the ball sticks to him, he kept turning the Leeds defence inside out, the only thing missing was a goal. Only on a 1 year deal? Quick sign him up for longer before January rolls around!

Leeds OS

Refreshingly honest.

Leeds

re the first half:-

...Southend probably ended the stronger and could have had a penalty in the last minute as Laurent, once again causing problems, turned Lubo Michalik in the box and appreared to be pulled down, only for referee Miller to wave the home side's cries away.

Best performance in my view by Blues since we beat Man U at RH. Absolutely top class performance last night! Bring on the Col Ewe.

Bloody freezing and a very long journey home (got in about 3h 20m after the final whistle!) but it doesn't matter when you've seen the boys play so well.

An absolutely blinding performance, with my highlight being Laurent. I had never seen him before (not been since the O's game) and my first though upon seeing the fella was 'athlete'. He just has the look of someone who is a natural sportsman and his pace, touch and movement are all top rate. 'Formidable' even.

Oh and I had a cheeky little winning forecast on the greyhounds en route to the ground. All good :)

i like the final paragraph when they say that southend deserved the win, that put a smile on my face!

Refreshingly honest.

Leeds

re the first half:-

It looked a very, very good shout from where I was in TBV section of the West. But the ref had a good view of it, and did very well otherwise so I'll give him the benefit of the doubt. I think Laurent's unsightly running style and flailing arms may make him look like one of those players that fouls to get to the ball, but given that he chased every half chance and never went to ground easily, it was probably a foul by their defender.

But then in about the 85th minutes, they had a half decent shout too when Francis won some of the ball, but also took out some of their guy as he got back to his feet. Would have been harsh but likewise seen them given.

Well the team was fantastic tonight, makes you wonder why they can't always play near enough at that standard, but oh well thats football.

This is the case when we come to town i'm afraid. We keep expecting to be able to outplay teams without grafting. You were always going to fight, big crowd, good away following and a team that are expected to challenge. We didn't though, this has happened alot and has to stop. You have to earn the right to play football and win games, sometimes you have to stop the pretty stuff and get into them. You did that very well

Final comment - yes, some Leeds supporters are total ***** (throwing a coin at Fed), but I was very impressed with their support of the goalie in the half time shoot out, and the Deaneswood players as they ran round to take their applause.

When was this? I was right behind the goal and didn't see anything.
We do get alot of stick but yet again for the most we were loud and proud despite having nothing to cheer. Special mention to the little lads who took the penalties and to the goalkeeper, as we chanted destined to be "Englands number one". Hopefully we converted him aswell ;)

Said that leaving the ground last night - I hate the cliche, but if we COULD play like that every week, nobody could live with us.
It was like a lower league Man Utd performance - built on hard work ethic and no lack of skill. With another big game Saturday, you'd expect the same type of performance.

Best performance in my view by Blues since we beat Man U at RH. Absolutely top class performance last night! Bring on the Col Ewe.

As i mentioned earlier and i would hope you know me better then to think i am being disrespectful or arrogant but it was a cup tie if not cup final performance from you. They seemed to relish the atmosphere and big crowd and played upto it. Every player worked themselves into the ground last night for you and you deserved what you got. Two years in a row we have put in maybe our worst performances of the season at Roots Hall. We were awful last night and we don't seem to be able to cope when the game heats up. Too many players went missing once again and we are still yet to give you a proper game yet at RH.

Bloody freezing and a very long journey home (got in about 3h 20m after the final whistle!) but it doesn't matter when you've seen the boys play so well.
I got delayed once again on the A12 and missed kick off again, it was at this stage i sensed deja vu, and got home at 12:30. The thing that always gets me is walking past all the coaches and the poor sods that had to spend 5-6hours just to get home, many working the next day, after getting let down once again by the team we love.

When was this? I was right behind the goal and didn't see anything.

Didn't look like a coin to me, looked much bigger. A mobile phone perhaps? In terms of the actual act of something being thrown, I saw it as clear as day - I was sitting in the West, pretty close to the Leeds fans.

Probably in my top 5 performances under Tilly.

Ratings (from South Upper)

Frederici 8.5
Francis 7.5
Clarke 8
Barrett 8
Harding 8
Betsy 8
Sawyer 7.5
Christophe 7.5
Kanu 7.5
Revell 8
Laurant 9 (Our first £4million pound player)

Subs
Scannell 5
Grant 6
McCormack 6

always good to hear from the other side, we did seem to have a bit more fight in us, think thats probably the difference between us last night, I thought you played a lot of sideways stuff without really penetrating.

Didn't look like a coin to me, looked much bigger. A mobile phone perhaps? In terms of the actual act of something being thrown, I saw it as clear as day - I was sitting in the West, pretty close to the Leeds fans.

When abouts mate? Not that i don't believe you just didn't see anything
It is completely out of order and the person who threw it is not a real fan

Last edited:

You may be right James, didn't see what it actually was, Federici walked up to the ref holding it out to him.

When abouts mate? Not that i don't believe you just didn't see anything
It is completely out of order and the person who threw it is not a real fan

Around the 70 minute mark maybe?

A total tosser of course and a stain on football

The fan, not Federici!

Right where do i start.

I am not going to write a match report as there are enough about. I thought you deserved to win. I can't say you outplayed us as such but you outfought us. You were quicker to every ball and were more hungry for last night. That said i couldn't give you a name or number of any outstanding player for yourself, i think the game was won by a better team unit. Each of your players worked for each other, the amount of high fives and chatting between your team reveals your biggest strength last night. Team work.
I think that is one of the worst performances from a side in a Leeds shirt that i have seen. We were awful and sadly alot of the blame lies with the manager. Howson, Kilkenny and Delph are quality ball players but my 87yr old nan is tougher in the challenge than them. Too often we jumped out of tackles or refused to track back. They expected to play there way to victory and again we saw that in this league it's not going to happen. They may be playing for a big club but that does not make them better. Too often people come to us presuming that they have made it just by pulling on that white shirt, thats not the case. They are the same players, in the same league. The only thing better than this league is us,the fans. I have mentioned the poor defending and what i would give to have a captain like Barrett, Richardson confirmed last night he is not good enough to follow the tradition held by Bremner, Strachan et all.
I could go home happy if they play there hearts out, fight for every ball and things don't go for you but last night i felt let down again by the team i love.

Back