• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Post-Match Thread and Ratings Southend United 1 Leeds United 0

Leeds%28H%29.jpg

Well done Steve Tilson and the boys...

No boring 1-0 this one. A truly enthralling match at the Hall in which Southend emerged as worthy winners through an excellent long-range free kick from Dan Harding on 18 minutes.

Southend started well in the first half with a virtuoso performance from Francis Laurent making his first start for the club. Every ball forward he kept at his feet. Every spin left his marker in a heap. And every surging run seemed to cause havoc in the opposition's defence. He really was that good.

Leeds picked up the pace a little towards the end of the half and began to force the issue displaying a faultless passing game. That their passing didn't lead to anything more serious could only be put down to the superb effort from Southend with so many players - Revell, Laurent, Kanu, Sawyer and Christophe particularly - running themselves into the ground.

A contentious penalty decision (from where I was sitting anyway) denied Blues the opportunity to go further ahead.

The second half led to more of the same - the Blues full of running and commitment, Leeds stepping up their passing game. On 70 minutes, Laurent went down in the box holding his leg - and then six minutes later he was replaced. With Barnard and Freedman injured, Tilson opted for Scannell up front to stretch the game a little and help us hit the more resurgent Leeds on the break.

On 81 minutes, Sawyer, due his usual break, was replaced by Grant, and then Macca replaced an exhausted Revell on 83.

Player Ratings

Federici 7 - Fantastic save down to his left to keep us at 1-0. Would've given him more but his kicking tonight often just gave the ball back to Leeds to build from the back.

Francis 6.5 - Still trying to find his form, but a useful contribution.

Barrett 9 - Two stunning tackles to deny Beckford shots on goal.

Clarke 7.5 - Typical Clarke performance. Tough and committed but with two or three scary moments.

Harding 9 - Great to have him back. Good overlapping. Fantastic first free kick which led to the goal. Almost grabbed another with a second free kick later in the game.

Sawyer 7 - Usual gutsy performance. Less dominant than usual but it was an interesting battle against a strong looking Leeds midfield.

Christophe 9 - The Credit-Crunch Patrick Vieira. Always seems to be there or there abouts. Some excellent balls forward and some crucial tackles won that he didn't seem to be anywhere near.

Robson Kanu 7 - Gave a lot tonight, but still want to see him do more damage.

Revell 9 - Another excellent performance from Revs. With Barney and Freedman due to return soon enough, he's doing the business right now and deserves to keep his place in the team. Won most of his headers, often found his man, and gave the defenders not a moments peace.

Laurent 9.5 - MOTM - A truly exquisite debut that left me with stars in my eyes. "Tonight Matthew, I'm going to be Thierry Henry". A near faultless performance and entirely predictable that he wouldn't t survive the 90 minutes as he ran, ran and ran at the opposition defence. Amazing level of arrogance for such a young man, but it's a joy to watch. Really looks to have something about him. Couldn't give him ten as he should''ve squared one particular opportunity in the second half to set Revell in for goal, but I'm being picky. Awesome debut.

Betsy 7 - Another who worked hard, but he needs to back himself more. I think he's a better player than he thinks he is.

Scannell 5.5 - Not sure he was the right player to bring to play the role he did today but we didn't have too many options. Clean through on one occasion but couldn't find the shot.

Macca 6 - Pretty anonymous but had less than ten minutes to impose himself.

Grant 7 - Did his job well.

Just got back , quality game , first 20 minuites we really tore Leeds apart . They came back in periods . Laurent was amazing , taking tackles and getting back up and making the Leeds defence sweat . Well worth 3 points (as my Leeds supporting but now converted to the Superblues Dad confirmed )

I'd give Rev Rum man of the match just over Laurent. He ran his socks off chasing every lost cause, popped up at Left back a few times and won loads in the air as well.

A few things from tonight

First off all i will state that was probably the most hard working display i have seen from 10 players in many a year watching the blues .

We won every first and second ball to be won, we stopped Leeds palying with some superb tracking down and harrasing play , at the forfront of this was Revell and christophe .

For me Christophe is a quality midfielder and for an average age of say 20 our middle 2 bossed the show tonight , Christophe broke up everything and i'd have him just shading Southend's very own Kanu as MOM.

Also i just feel so confident having Fed in goal , his handling was immense tonight and compaired to Casper who was spilling everything he looked different class , one of his saves low to his left was world class ( and thats not exagerating )

My Ratings

Fed - 9 as stated above , keep us in it with an incredible save

Francis -6 the one let down of the night , failed to get goalside of his man all night and is so laid back , he frustrates me big time

Clarke - 7.5 solid

Barrett -7.5 as above

Harding - 8.5 solid , but with the added extra of being able to take sweet set pieces ..cracking goal and also a near carbon copy in the 2nd half.

Betsy - 7 worked hard but just needs that extra bit of class when in dangerous positions.

Sawyer - 8.5 cracking all action display , covered every blade of grass

Christophe - 9.5 i just really like the way he goes about his business , great partnership with sawyer , ran the show tonight against quality opposition.

HRK - 7 showed glimpsy of magic but final ball a let down . worked hard

Revell - 8.5 best performance by a mile from him , held the ball up brilliantly , linked up well , won his flicks , willing runner , chased every ball like his life depended on it .

Kanu/ laurent - 9 - awkard , leggy , skillfull ,pacey the centre half had all sorts of problems dealing with him , very direct and should of had a penalty as it was clear cut .

subs - Grant - 6.5 gave the ball away too much when we needed some composier .

Macca - not on long enough

Well done the lads .

Last edited:
First off all i will state that was probably the most hard working display i have seen from 10 players in many a year watching the blues .

We won every first and second ball to be won, we stopped Leeds palying with some superb tracking down and harrasing play , at the forfront of this was Revell and christophe .

For me Christophe is a quality midfielder and for an average age of say 20 our middle 2 bossed the show tonight , Christophe broke up everything and i'd have him just shading Southend's very own Kanu as MOM.

Also i just feel so confident having Fed in goal , his handling was immense tonight and compaired to Casper who was spilling everything he looked different class , one of his saves low to his left was world class ( and thats not exagerating )

My Ratings

Fed - 9 as stated above , keep us in it with an incredible save

Francis -6 the one let down of the night , failed to get goalside of his man all night and is so laid back , he frustrates me big time

Clarke - 7.5 solid

Barrett -7.5 as above

Harding - 8.5 solid , but with the added extra of being able to take sweet set pieces ..cracking goal and also a near carbon copy in the 2nd half.

Betsy - 7 worked hard but just needs that extra bit of class when in dangerous positions.

Sawyer - 8.5 cracking all action display , covered every blade of grass

Christophe - 9.5 i just really like the way he goes about his business , great partnership with sawyer , ran the show tonight against quality opposition.

HRK - 7 showed glimpsy of magic but final ball a let down . worked hard

Revell - 8.5 best performance by a mile from him , held the ball up brilliantly , linked up well , won his flicks , willing runner , chased every ball like his life depended on it .

Kanu - 9 - awkard , leggy , skillfull ,pacey the centre half had all sorts of problems dealing with him , very direct and should of had a penalty as it was clear cut .

subs - Grant - 6.5 gave the ball away too much when we needed some composier .

Macca - not on long enough

Well done the lads .

Err!! Think you mean Laurent not Kanu.

You mean Laurent not Kanu, and you forgot Scannell.

It was the best team display I've seen by Southend since.. well.. er.. the last time Leeds came to town. That was a monster as well if you recall.

Leeds this time were much, much better than last year. I could be picky and say we should have finished them off with a second goal, but you really complain about that performance. So I wont.

And no one else will mention it, but the ref had a good game as well. He was fooled by some of the antics Leeds players tried, let the game flow and allowed players to tackle. Trevor Kettle - take note!

Agree with all the above.

But I would add Laurent to that list, what a talent he is, a fantastic touch, pacy, strong and willing to run and run. We need to sign him up for longer than 1 year as clubs will be sniffing around him already. A very shrewd signing from Tilly and even better that he was a freebie!

Would also like to say a big well done to the fans tonight, especially those in V,W and X blocks, superb non-stop singing all night. Same again on Saturday everyone please.

Brilliant game tonight, best we've played all season.

Laurent was outstanding and looks a great prospect, he'll become a cult hero.

Best i've seen Revell play as well.

Proud to be a Shrimper, bring on the ewe's

Federici - 9 - (Wonderful save - as good as a save as I have seen at Roots Hall)
Francis - 7 (Better but still far too casual)
Barrett - 8 (Solid, winning vital headers and kept position)
Clarke - 8 (Strong in the air, great in tackle, and better distribution)
Harding - 9 (Proper full back, who raises game when needed .. and free kicks!)
Sawyer - 8 (Battled as usual, great attacking play and ran socks off)
Christophe - 8 (Subtle as usual, and doing the simple stuff for team)
Robson-Kanu - 7 (Looked little out of sorts at times but still a threat)
Betsy - 6 - (Started well, but faded. One of his less influential games)
Revell - 10 - (What can I say? Awesome in the air, defending - ran his socks off ... hardly put a foot wrong)
Laurent - 10 - (I couldnt believe the talent that has been warming our bench. How has this man not played before now? - Stunning full debut)

Scannell - 5 (Didnt pick up pace of game)
Macca - 5 (Couldnt pick up pace of game)
Grant - 6 (Better of the subs)

Tonight was one of those fantastic nights which will live long in the memory. Superb battling performance against an excellent side. Leeds played very measured football, expecting the goals and chances to come, but we stopped them playing.. Considering that was our strikers 3 and 4, then I think we have real depth now... just need one or two decent defenders in the transfer window and to make the loans more permanent.

Bring on the farmers on saturday

Agree with all the above.

But I would add Laurent to that list, what a talent he is, a fantastic touch, pacy, strong and willing to run and run. We need to sign him up for longer than 1 year as clubs will be sniffing around him already. A very shrewd signing from Tilly and even better that he was a freebie!

Would also like to say a big well done to the fans tonight, especially those in V,W and X blocks, superb non-stop singing all night. Same again on Saturday everyone please.

Yep, mentioned in the match thread that perhaps Tilly & Ron would have checked on his contract at half-time......and will have him in soon for a little chat. Perhaps we could pay to send him of to Language School. There again he seems to be doing pretty well without speaking english!

Laurent had ice on his ankle at the end. He might be a doubt for saturday !?
Tilson said on radio that Freedman out at weekend, and Barnard a doubt.

I would start Revell and Laurent though after that performance

Yep, mentioned in the match thread that perhaps Tilly & Ron would have checked on his contract at half-time......and will have him in soon for a little chat. Perhaps we could pay to send him of to Language School. There again he seems to be doing pretty well without speaking english!

Always good to let your feet do the talking thats what i say !!

Im the biggest critic of our defence,but tonight we held firm. Well done Barrett and Clarke.

Laurent had ice on his ankle at the end. He might be a doubt for saturday !?
Tilson said on radio that Freedman out at weekend, and Barnard a doubt.

I would start Revell and Laurent though after that performance

he did take a bash on his ankle but he kept playing long after that, he went off because he had cramp, so maybe just precautionary...

Considering that was our strikers 3 and 4,​

from what i've seen of laurent and the work ethic of revs, i don't think it will be that easy for tilly to decide. laurent at the moment looks like he could be the best striker out of the four. he has everything except from experience. big fan of barny, but for me laurent is better (from what i've seen)​

great game from both teams,leeds looked very decent HOWEVER the men in blue matched them blow for blow.

laurent was class with revs working the line tirelessy.

excellent stuff from the lads.

Really enjoyed the game tonight, thought it was a very entertaining match despite the fact there was just the one goal. Thought the standard of football from both sides was pretty good, both teams were moving the ball around pretty well. Leeds perhaps passed it around more freely than we did at times but the way we held our shape and discipline was superb. I've always believed defending starts from the front and Revell chased and harried their defence all night long, and the rest of the side followed his example. My one complaint about tonight is the way we kept giving the ball away in the last 10 or 15 mins.

Well done to the ref as well - absolutely delighted he booked that long haired **** who was brandishing the imaginary yellow card after he was fouled! No place at all for that in the beautiful game.

Back