• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Post-Match Thread and Ratings Southend United 1, Preston North End 0

Evening Echo

The News
LIAM Dickinson fired Southend United to a shock 1-0 win over League One Preston North End in an FA Cup first round replay at Roots Hall tonight.

More...

Great team performance tonight.

Dickinson led the line well, Harris's off the ball movement bought others into play.

Mohsni was my man of the match. He was everywhere and won everything. Brought a mate tonight and he commented on how good Mohsni was, our best player by a mile, very very committed to everything with a good bit of skill. Great ball out wide to Hall before the goal and I think it was Mohsni's ball back in straight after that Dickinson converted

Job done.

Hall done more running than the rest of the team put together tonight I swear, great engine especially after playing Saturday as well. Thought everyone had a decent enough game tonight but Preston asked us 0 questions, in fact they were worse than a lot of league 2 teams who have come here this season.

The ref got most fouls correct, but he was just on another planet with some of the stupid bookings. Also a couple of throw in's which were blatantly ours went against us.

Good to see Dickinson net again after a decent period of play, Harris and Moshni started to come into the game at the point when we scored.

Glad we have another home game now and a chance to test ourselves, plus of course the extra cash for the club is a bonus.

One of the best performances of the season. Not a glut of chances but the team worked so hard and kept their shape well. A real team performance where every one played well. Great goal by Dicko too, hes looking a real top player now. Shame there wasnt more than 5000 with the cheap tickets on offer but hopefully the club may keep the prices for the 2nd round. Oldham will be a much tougher prospect but no reason we cant beat them.

Only downside was two injuries to Gilbert and Phillips according to Luggy.

"LIAM Dickinson fired Southend United to a shock 1-0 win over League One Preston North End in an FA Cup first round replay at Roots Hall tonight."

Please tell me, why does Chris Phillips maintain that it was a 'shock win'. is it purely 'cos they are division above if so cheap tabliod journalism. get a better angle cos that one is cxxp

Thought Dickinson was motm. Gave Prestons defence hassle from start to finish and took his goal brilliantly. Is that 8 for the season? On target for 20.

Others to play well were moshni, Gilbert, barker and Phillips. Thought the midfield did ok, but it was difficult with Preston having the extra man in the middle. Hall ran hard, but not a lot came off for him. Clohessy was beaten several times by the left winger. Harris ran loads, created space but was poor on the ball

Oh and the red was an idiot. Some of those bookings were a joke, and they wonder why the likes of man utd play their reserves in the f a cup

Good team performance with a mix of individual ones.

Daniels - 7 - little to do but made a couple of good saves, kicking was long every time though...
Clohessey - 7 - standard game for him
Phillips - 7 - solid, never disappoints
Barker - 7 - solid bar a couple of shakey moments when he slipped over inside the box
Gilbert - 6 - never really has impressed me, too much aimless and pointless hoofing for my liking

Timlin - 6 - quiet game for him
Ferdinand - 6 - can tell he has quality but never really gets involved as much as he should
Hall - 6 - poor for his standards, looked energetic and beat the back 4 for pace but failed to get round a player more than a couple of times. put in a couple of good crosses though.
Mohsni - 7 - so entertaining to watch, poor start but got into it and showed a fantastic bit of skill leading up to Dickinson's goal.

Harris - 7- Best I've seen him this season, touch and passing was a lot better should have scored quite early on though.
Dickinson - 8.5 - Best I've seen of him too and MOTM by a long way. Some lovely touches and control particularly with his chest and a well taken goal.

I think the attendance was pretty good to be fair, last season the first round reply at Rootsie barely drew 2,000 so more then double that this time around is an improvement.

Interesting to see how many come to the 2nd round tie. I'm hoping the club will keep the ticket prices the same.

I agree with Semi-Spanish. Dickinson was immense tonight. I've not his been his biggest fan and have even accused him of being a bit lazy at times but what a performance. Clever, strong and full of running. A goal and pink wristbands. What more could we want?

Thought Hall was poor tonight. Just as well as Jewell was in the stands apparently.

Ps tells porkies

I am not complaining. Far from it. But PS said . I am making changes tonight, I cant keep going to the same boys.
Only one change from Dagenham starting 11 which was harris. So why did he say that:unsure:

PNE last 10 games LLLDLLWDLL. Southend last 10 games WDWWWWWDWW. No shock if you ask me.

I am not complaining. Far from it. But PS said . I am making changes tonight, I cant keep going to the same boys.
Only one change from Dagenham starting 11 which was harris. So why did he say that:unsure:

Maybe he just wanted to keep PNE in the dark as far as who they would be up against.

And it is nice to hear from those at the match, that Harris was productive on the field. He hardly got a mention on the commentary.

And it is nice to hear from those at the match, that Harris was productive on the field. He hardly got a mention on the commentary.
Commentary got it right, Harris was anonymous again in fact Blair looked a far better player when he came on.

He changed his mind.

Maybe it was a deliberate bit of kidology... he's quite canny, is Sturrock...

I agree with Semi-Spanish. Dickinson was immense tonight. I've not his been his biggest fan and have even accused him of being a bit lazy at times but what a performance. Clever, strong and full of running. A goal and pink wristbands. What more could we want?

Thought Hall was poor tonight. Just as well as Jewell was in the stands apparently.

Totally agree. Hall would be a far better player if he didn't always try and beat the man.

Clohessy was totally found out tonight.

Gilbert had the best game I've seen from him, as did Dicko and Harris whilst Mohsni was everywhere in second half. Ferdinand anonymous. Kalala back to his best when he came on.

Not seen too many games this season, but thought Mosni looked slimmer and far fitter than last season where he appeared to struggle in the last 20 minutes of a game.

Very impressed with Dickenson too.

For me Preston's biggest issue was their lack of prowess in the air. They forced 11 corners but I only remember one where they actually won the ball, only to head over. Barker looked back to his best with the timing of his headers but Mohsni was terrific as well. What I liked about Mohsni's performance was that it was relatively unshowy. He was positionally much more disciplined than his has been (admittedly not hard!) and really played for the team. The quality of his touch with both head and foot was clear to see once again. If Phillips, who has been arguably the player of the season so far, is injured for a protracted period, Mohsni can move back there again and do a great job for us. What a contrast to recent years.

Commentary got it right, Harris was anonymous again in fact Blair looked a far better player when he came on.
When you don't like a player you really don't like him, do you? What about the two shots Harris had early on in the first half, one which was on target and which the keeper did well to save and the other which went just wide? And do you not see the space he creates for Dickinson (and others) by pulling defenders wide? I thought Neil played well last night, and certainly Dickinson looked better for having a proper strike partner alongside him.

Ok, having got that off my chest, Daniels had a reasonable game but he has got to learn how to vary his kicks out. If you're going to go long every time then try and catch their keeper off guard - thought the same Saturday. In the warm up Morris showed a much better variety of kicking and young Daniels could do well to watch him sometimes. Defensively I thought Barker and Gilbert were the better players, and it was good to see the skip back to form after what was for me, a disappointing performance on Saturday. Clohessy looks to be missing Ryan Leonard in front of him and had his hands full. I thought Phillips had picked up a knock so wasn't surprised to see Mohsni pushed back there. I got a bit frustrated with continuous pumps forward from the back, but I guess, as midfield were being pressured by the PNE formation, it was probably sensible. I thought they all played well, no criticism apart from the fact I'd like to see Kane tackle sometimes rather than just tracking back. Hall never stopped running all night, nor did Mohsni, who was my MOTM. Perfectly composed throughout, exemplary behaviour, powerful and purposeful. Some audacious first touches, flicks, back heels etc. Made the goal again too. This is the Mohsni I'd like to see every time we play!

A word for the forwards too, who didn't stop hassling Preston's defence. Love seeing Dicko so pumped about the wins every game - long may it continue!

Incidentally, well done to the South Stand who seemed to take over leading the chants last night! :whistling:

Back