• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

RHB

I'm a Gnu, how do you do!⭐⭐
Staff member
I suspect this will be quite a short thread.

It was really a game of men against boys. Brighton were a skilful team and passed and moved very quickly but their end product was very poor, Teddy had very little to do, but what he did have, he did well.

John White proved again that he is Mr reliable and did very little wrong. Sokolik and Ferdinand provided a pretty effective barrier to the opposition forwards and Adam Thompson was probably the best of our defenders. I still haven't really worked out what formation we were playing but Mooney and Cox beavered away up front and this was probably the best I have seen Mooney play in some while, capping it with a well taken goal.

Nobody had a bad game and Atkinson had some super duper Duracell batteries in his tank as he never stopped running and he nearly had a shot, which was nice. As the second half went on several of the Brighton lads started going down with cramp, Mooney mangled one of their players (yellow carded) and it became obvious that for all of their ball control and willingness they were not going to get into this game at all in terms of goals.

So, good for the team's confidence, Ferdinand got a good round of applause when subbed, and no boos and Phil lives to fight another day. Saturday should be interesting for the team selection. One or two players may have given him food for thought, we shall see.

Really pleased to see Kyprianou give a good account of himself. He's someone who has always shown real promise, so good to see him grab his opportunity. Hopefully he'll start to put a bit of pressure on Coker now, as his performances and attitude have been a bit off for a while now.

On a side note, bit disappointed Williams wasn't given a start as it was an ideal game for him to stake a claim.

As per above really. First 20 Brighton zipped the ball about and were fast and fluid; we had to be very good to keep them at bay.

We seemed to be playing a 5-3-2 when defending and a 3-5-2 when attacking, White and Kyprianou being the wing backs. Thompson and Sokolik were being marshalled by Ferdinand, playing just behind them in a sweeper type role. Because the crowd was so small, you could hear the vocal encouragement he was giving and we looked much more solid. He did give us a worrying moment around 25 mins in when he went over on his ankle and then started limping but seemed to run it off and did well to last over an hour.

Midway through the first half, a lucky ricochet saw the ball break for one of their forwards to race clear, but then something we haven't seen much of so far this season; a Southend goalie makes a save! Well done Ted and he barely put a foot wrong all game really.

We then stepped up and a great move saw Mooney just fire wide at full stretch after some good interplay between Leonard and White.

Then a superbly threaded through ball by Leonard was collected by Mooney who advanced and slid the ball past the keeper. 1-0.

Kyprianou added a second early in the 2nd half after a good one-two on the left and the ball then fell to him again about 15 yards out which he lashed goalwards, but it took a wicked deflection past their keeper. Still, they all count.

After that it was all over really, it was a good workout without being a good contest. Brighton were midgets and made us look like giants, which we certainly aren't. Cox nearly added a 3rd after a surging run by Atkinson straight at the heart of their defence which would have been nice but 2-0 was decent.

The plusses for me are that I think this system may well work away v Bolton on Saturday. We looked solid but did lack pace up front.

Ratings -

Smith - 7 - Good handling and made a decent save

White - 7.5 - Solid, hard working but crosses weren't great
Kyprianou - 7 - A decent debut and goal, good prospect
Thompson - 8 - Pick of the defence
Sokolik - 7.5 - Not far behind Thommo
Ferdinand - 7.5 - Not overly mobile but you can see the quality

King - 6 - Much improved performance but still gave the ball away a bit
Atkinson - 8.5 - MOM - Great engine and we could have absolutely done with him last Saturday
Leonard - 7 - Looked better further forward and a great assist for the first goal

Cox - 7 - Unlucky not to get a goal tonight.
Mooney - 8 - Very good performance from him, really was a thorn in their side.

Subs

Jordan Williams on for Ferdinand - 7 - Immediate impact with a piece of sublime skill that brought applause from the West
Matsuzaka on for Sokolik - 6 - Don't think he touched the ball

OK, here goes :-

Smith 8 - Didn't really put a foot wrong. Handling was steady and dealt with the one-on-one well, but what I did like was that he came for and dealt with a couple of corners, commanding his 6 yard box very well.

White 8 - Thought JW had an excellent game. Read everything well and when going forward, got some early balls into the box. Switched to third centre-half when Jordan-Williams came on.

Sokolik 7 - No complaints. Had a decent game.

Ferdinand 7 - Positionally and reading of the game was spot on. Dropped off and played centre of the back three and had everything under control. Visibly tired in the second half, but 65 minutes of first team football is no bad thing and he will get stronger and better.

Thompson 7 - Had a very good game, as well. Confident going forward and raced back when needed to.

Kyprianou 9 MOTM - Man, that lad's good. Great goal, but just looked quality. His deadball delivery was top drawer. Different class to Coker, IMHO. Just needs game time and confidence.

Leonard 7 - Starting to get back to his best. Worked better in front of the back three and alongside Atkinson.

Atkinson 8 - 90 minutes of non-stop energy. Really good to see him race forward with the ball and get beyond the forwards and into dangerous positions.

King 7 - Do you know what, think that lad is a great addition. OK, gave the odd ball away, but won more than most back and always wanted the ball. Given how low in confidence we are, that's great to see from a youngster.

Cox 7 - You can tell he's played at a better level. Worked tirelessly. Just couldn't finish the chance he had to make it 3-0 after Atko's run and pass.

Mooney 8 - Had a terrific game. Made some great runs and thankfully the ball was played in early for him. Cool finish, as well.

SUBS :

Jordan-Williams 7 - Wing-back seems to suit him. Good going forward and one for the future.

Matsuzaka 7 - Not sure he touched the ball, in truth,

Overall

I liked the 3-5-2 formation. Worked well. We don't need wide players. Waste of time. The wing-backs can do that job. What it did give us was more solidity around our own penalty box and in the middle of the park.

Thoroughly enjoyed it tonight. Think the players did, too.

Difficult game to judge as the school boys passed the ball around well for the first 15 minutes without offering a single threat on goal. The teachers then decided enough was enough and started to actually put a tackle in, and press a bit more. This gave us more of the play and we looked like the only side that would score.

Felt like a pre season friendly at times, for the first 20 and the last 20 when we took our foot off the gas a bit.

Smith 7 - Made a good stop at someone's feet after a lucky ricochet. Showed Oxley how to come off his line and claimed a few crosses and punched a corner away. Feel much happier with him in goal.
White 7 - Did better than expected in a more advanced role, and put in a few good crosses without really beating his man once.
Thomson 7.5 - Very solid, but a few hoofs forward
Sokolik 6.5 - Did well on the whole, but made one error leading to Brightons only chance of the first half.
Ferdinand 7 - Looked a bit rusty, but class is there, even though not really tested. Looked to play the ball out on the deck and played the ball to Cox's feet 3 or 4 times.
Kyprianiou 7.5 - Rabbit in headlights for the first 30 as all our forward movement was down the right. Grew into the game, and looked promising. Good play for the goal, but needs to get closer to his man to stop crosses coming in.
Atkinson 8 - My MOM chased, tackled, ran, got forward, put the opposition under pressure, did everything we didn't do on Saturday. Still a little bit sideways though.
King 6 - Game passed him by a little. Only in the side until Timlin and Woody are back.
Mooney - 7 Best game from him for a while although seemed to tire quickly.
Cox 7 - linked up with Mooney well, and did well when given the ball to feet. Should have scored though.

I think the B team experiment has been a total disaster with 3 wins, 2 draws and 9 defeats from the teams that played tonight. Don't think we will be seeing more than 3 or 4 of them in the last 32 of this competition.
Leonard 7.5 - More like the Lenny we know, got stuck in and played a great ball for Mooney's goal.

Very pleased for the debut boys Kyprianou (KP) was my MOM and a good signs from Anton, with his accurate range of passing.

The benefit of playing 3 CB's is you really end up with more productive wide men because they are both defender and attacker, so don't drift out of the game like Mc L did on Saturday.

The other bonus is you get 3 CM's. So just like last season Lenny plays better with Mr Engine himself, Atkinson not just running beyond but covering as well. King also looked more comfortable as part of a 3.

Big plus was the quality of KP's left footed deliveries on the set pieces and the fact he crossed as soon as he had the chance from open play. Ben Coker please take note because this lad looks like he will be banging on your door very soon.

Well done to those that went. The football was well worth £10. The fact that the boo boys stayed away was a real pleasant bonus. Even the players enjoyed themselves and as you all see for yourself not only performed better but worked harder for the real fans.

Very pleased for the debut boys Kyprianou (KP) was my MOM and a good signs from Anton, with his accurate range of passing.

The benefit of playing 3 CB's is you really end up with more productive wide men because they are both defender and attacker, so don't drift out of the game like Mc L did on Saturday.

The other bonus is you get 3 CM's. So just like last season Lenny plays better with Mr Engine himself, Atkinson not just running beyond but covering as well. King also looked more comfortable as part of a 3.

Big plus was the quality of KP's left footed deliveries on the set pieces and the fact he crossed as soon as he had the chance from open play. Ben Coker please take note because this lad looks like he will be banging on your door very soon.

Well done to those that went. The football was well worth £10. The fact that the boo boys stayed away was a real pleasant bonus. Even the players enjoyed themselves and as you all see for yourself not only performed better but worked harder for the real fans.

:net: I hope?

I think the B team experiment has been a total disaster with 3 wins, 2 draws and 9 defeats from the teams that played tonight. Don't think we will be seeing more than 3 or 4 of them in the last 32 of this competition.

It depends on what the point of the experiment was.

I think it is to give the youngsters more games against men rather than against their own age group. There are only so many youngsters that can go out on loan and this gives 11 at least 3 games against proper players which will only enhance their development.

I don't think the aim is for them to win the trophy.

However, the problem of how to get Prem youngsters proper game experience isn't the EFL's problem to solve. This trophy gives every lower league side a chance of a day out at Wembley. Put higher clubs U23 teams in there and how the nearer they get to the finals, the more seriously it will be taken.

For instance, if it was a Sheff Utd v Portsmouth final, Wembley would be full. Contrast between Everton U23 v Norwich U23... how many would watch that?

Still, Checkatrade must be loving all the publicity this has brought them... their name must have been mentioned about 500 times on Talksport today!

Even though you're likely fishing;

Not everyone who stayed away is a boo boy. Some of us had principles that we want to stand by in making sure our voice as a fan is heard in preventing the inclusion of U23 teams and, if possible, in the future, B Teams. Some people have different principles and couldn't care about that and just want to watch football, nothing wrong with that. But please don't label everyone who didn't go "real fans".

I didn't go but it is good to see that some of the young players performed well. Would be good if Kyprianou can kick on, perhaps have Cypriot internationals down both wing-backs. :smile:

Even though you're likely fishing;

Not everyone who stayed away is a boo boy. Some of us had principles that we want to stand by in making sure our voice as a fan is heard in preventing the inclusion of U23 teams and, if possible, in the future, B Teams. Some people have different principles and couldn't care about that and just want to watch football, nothing wrong with that. But please don't label everyone who didn't go "real fans".

I think that was a reference to the boo boys, not everyone who didn't go. At least, that's how I read it.

It depends on what the point of the experiment was.

I think it is to give the youngsters more games against men rather than against their own age group. There are only so many youngsters that can go out on loan and this gives 11 at least 3 games against proper players which will only enhance their development.

I don't think the aim is for them to win the trophy.

However, the problem of how to get Prem youngsters proper game experience isn't the EFL's problem to solve. This trophy gives every lower league side a chance of a day out at Wembley. Put higher clubs U23 teams in there and how the nearer they get to the finals, the more seriously it will be taken.

For instance, if it was a Sheff Utd v Portsmouth final, Wembley would be full. Contrast between Everton U23 v Norwich U23... how many would watch that?

Still, Checkatrade must be loving all the publicity this has brought them... their name must have been mentioned about 500 times on Talksport today!

Agree with most of what you say. Don't forget it was also to revive a dying cup and has improved the finances for all the lower league teams. For it to last then Sky and a sponsor has to be interested.

The under 23's will boost the profile and money so from that point of view it is a success. We are still a world away from PL B teams in L1 and 2.

By the way, well done Brighton fans. 80 people for a Tuesday night to watch the reserves.

More than Fleetwood managed for the league game last Saturday.

Smith 7 - Made a good stop at someone's feet after a lucky ricochet. Showed Oxley how to come off his line and claimed a few crosses and punched a corner away. Feel much happier with him in goal.

The problem is we all know he won't be come Saturday. Oxley is likely to be number one for the foreseeable future & that's a big problem in my opinion. I'd far rather Ted be given the chance to develop now as Oxley looks to be the shakiest goalkeeper we've had since Morris & Evans. Brown's stubborn though & will likely stick with his new signing.

The problem is we all know he won't be come Saturday. Oxley is likely to be number one for the foreseeable future & that's a big problem in my opinion. I'd far rather Ted be given the chance to develop now as Oxley looks to be the shakiest goalkeeper we've had since Morris & Evans. Brown's stubborn though & will likely stick with his new signing.

PB did say on the radio that Ted may have done enough to keep the shirt for Saturday.

Oxley will start then...

PB did say on the radio that Ted may have done enough to keep the shirt for Saturday.

Oxley will start then...

Didn't know that. But as you rightly say Brown always comes out with this crap and then does the opposite so I'm sure it'll be Oxley.

Well done to those 'fake' fans who didn't go and proved a point that B teams will never be welcomed by lower league fans. I didn't realise to qualify to be a 'real' fan you had to roll over and accept a change that demeans lower league clubs instead of taking action that will actually get the attention of the football league and its clubs by not attending the game. There are plenty of real fans out there who didn't go to the game tonight and it's an insult to suggest otherwise.

Well done to those 'fake' fans who didn't go and proved a point that B teams will never be welcomed by lower league fans. I didn't realise to qualify to be a 'real' fan you had to roll over and accept a change that demeans lower league clubs instead of taking action that will actually get the attention of the football league and its clubs by not attending the game. There are plenty of real fans out there who didn't go to the game tonight and it's an insult to suggest otherwise.

Try reading the whole thread. Unless of course you are one of the Boo boys.

Try reading the whole thread. Unless of course you are one of the Boo boys.
I hadn't read the whole thread and interpreted your comment in the wrong way. I'm not a boo boy at all, have made posts criticising them before.

Smith - 7 Didn't have much to do but came out for crosses and saved us after a defensive mix up. Hard to tell if he's better than Oxley from this but wouldn't mind giving him a go.

White - 7 - Very good defensively (maybe it's time he came back into the squad), clearly not a wing back though.
Kyprianou - 8 - Thought he was great, maybe would be more suited as a winger than full back but he was skillful and reminded me of what corners are meant to look like, they were a world of difference from the usual slow lobs we play straight into the keeper's arms.
Thompson - 7.5 - Didn't notice him much in defence (probably a good thing) but with 3 CBs he was able to run forward and contribute to attack, which suited him surprisingly well, would be interested in seeing a similar formation next game because he really gave us more options going forward.
Sokolik - 5.5 - The clear weak link in defence, made an awful error first half which Smith bailed us out of and made a few more poor decisions in the second half that I think a better team would have punished us for.
Ferdinand - 6.5 - Clearly unfit, didn't look like he could sprint and was fortunate not to be punished for abandoning his man to chase the ball in the first half. He improved massively in the second half though and his distribution is easily the best of our defenders so when fully fit he could be a key man this year.

King - 5 - I really don't understand what he brings, lost the ball far too many times. Main contribution was charging players down in their own third, but unfortunately his ball control meant he could do nothing with it when he did win possession.
Atkinson - 9 - MOM - It's a shame so few were there since he would have silenced the doubters, was always eager to drive forwards, none of the crab football he's criticised for was evident here and if Cox had made a better finish his pass after taking on 3 or 4 Brighton men would have made it 3-0.
Leonard - 7 - Looked comfortable going back to the advanced role in midfield he had a few years ago, given our limited options I wouldn't mind seeing him stick to it next match.

Cox - 6 - I was disappointed, it almost seemed like he was so desperate to get on the score sheet he completely ignored men open for a pass to try and get in a position to score, but when he did get there he hesitated and the chance went. Only had one chance of note, going one on one with the keeper after a great ball from Atkinson, unfortunately he shot mid height straight at the keeper, if Mooney did that he'd be crucified (having said that the keeper came out quickly, think Brighton have a future No. 1 on their hands there). Still he's clearly skillful and looked good on the ball even if his decision making could have been better, so he'll hopefully be better against Bolton.
Mooney - 7.5 - Looked well up for it and constantly put their defence under pressure, apparently the CBs were Brighton first teamers coming back from injury so it can't even be attributed to him playing against kids, did a couple of groan worthy moves but in general played well and did a great run and finish for his goal.

Subs

Jordan Williams - 7 - Impressed the crowd by nutmegging a Brighton man when he first got the ball and looked very bright when he joined the attack, probably would have had a shot on goal had the ref not inexplicably blown for a foul on Mooney (I think, possibly could have been Cox) when advantage seemed like the proper decision. His defensive work looked a bit more shaky so unless Brown fancies converting him to a midfielder he probably isn't ready to step up to the first team yet.
Matsuzaka on for Sokolik - NA - Didn't really come on for long enough to judge, didn't do anything wrong though.

Back