• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Post-Match Thread and Ratings Southend United 2-0 Colchester United

The good - best 90mins we’ve had in 2 years!
The bad - no fans in the stadium.
The ugly - worst away kit ever!

Team performance.
I looked at the team sheet and didnt think we'd fair that well against a team that has been hovering in and around playoffs for at least this season and all of last.
But, looking at the form stats, gave that confidence at ko.
Can we play the scummers every week? Walk in the park. Well done Mark Molesley, fair play to you, not going to pretend i didnt call for his head when frustrated. But we all knew what the effects of the embargo are.
Staying up this season, it's on. And i can't believe at Boxing Day i'm writing that.
Southend United, never boring and never do anything the easy way ! Feckin' do my head in !!

I love the way that he seems surprised at our change of style. That happened several games ago Mr Ball. Don't you bother to watch videos of your opponent's matches.....?

Well we're certainly the inform team in the lg right now, we just need to keep going to get out of this mess.

And some people wanted Molesley out! Lol!
I never quite got to Moseley out but got very very close. We were utterly dreadful in the early season. Not just inadequate in ability but also in effort, zest and organisation. The turnaround is quite remarkable and is beginning to look like it’s not a flash in the pan or a lucky break. Hats off to the coaching team. Glad I’m not in charge of the eject button. It’s a precarious thing.

Last edited:
I feel strange. I have a smile on my face and a great deal of pride in my football team again. As if this year couldn’t get anymore surreal are we good at football again?

The comeback is always greater than the setback and we’ve all been through it and it makes these moments so so sweet

At a stage now where I can’t wait for the next game again

its nearly 9 - time for EFL on Quest

I admit i have been avoiding it but tonight shall be having a feeling of well being and content

Hats off to MM for the change in style that has bought about a change in performances and results. It’s funny because in a lot of ways I thought Colchester played a style that was similar to us in the first 14 or so games with the keeper rolling the ball out to CB’s, then trying to pass around the back and work with the ball on the ground. Meanwhile Oxley was hitting balls to the edge of their penalty area with us winning the second ball and gaining that much territory in two passes where as Colchester would need 20 passes to make the same area.

I thought White was outstanding today. He read the game so well and made a few really key blocks and tackles and was great to see him play 90mins after missing a few recent games. Also was good to see ANG start, I thought every time he got the ball he looked to try something but he needs to work on his final ball/decision making. He was bearing down on goal in the second half and should never have allowed the defender to recover before getting a shot away, (mind you with his pace and skill if he had a final ball or shot he wouldn’t be playing for Southend!).

Such a shame we couldn’t have been inside RH to witness it!

Excellant all round team performance with no weaknesses from any position. MM now proving what a good manager he is with the right tools in hand. Still a long way to go and most of results above us weren't kind but importantly we must do our bit and not worry about others. Orient now 4 defeats in 5 so we should go there full of confidence. Proof today how much stronger the squad is with Macca, Oliyinka and Clifford all out but you would never have known. White was brilliant considering he hadn't played for weeks, Hobson gets better with every game, Oxley looking more solid and confident. Elvis getting back to is his best and Hart has been brilliant on his return to the club

Taylor had his best game for us and Dieng impressed in CM as he has done at CB, so versatile. Egbri worked hard for the team without being to creative but he didn't need to. ANG very impressive and has excellant tight ball control and skill. Looked tired but like white hasn't played for weeks. JD played the Macca role well and kept things simple. Only real mistake was flying into a tackle down the wing, missed and the lad hit the post. Akinola continues to impress, works very hard, good in the air and took his chance very well.

So many positives to take from the past 5 games, but a long way to go and still not out of the mire yet.

Bring on Orient

Where have all the Molesley out gobshites gone? ?
I expect they are still here and thrilled to be being proved wrong. Most reasonable people werent being gobshitey, but were very concerned not just about the personel, but the style of football mm initially tried to play, the fact that no progress was being made etc. Surely even the most ardent MM fan must have been having some second thoughts!

And as for the gobshitey ones, at the end of the day they just didnt want to get walloped every week, playing utter crap and facing non league doom. Passions run high.

Back