• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Post-Match Thread and Ratings Southend United 2-0 Colchester United

I was starting to have doubts to be honest. It looked like he had started to run out of ideas, and despite the lack of strength he wasn’t able to inspire us for a win. Actually, I think it was the insistence to play goodship when there were other options, no matter how poor they were.

A couple of new signings, some senior pros back fit and a born again Hobson and it looks easy for him.

Today, I thought everyone was good, Demi, ANG, Hart, Hobson and Taylor excellent and Egbri not at it.

The real difference, Akinola up front gives us something that’s been lacking all season. And effort all around the pitch - Egbri may have been poor today, but he sets the standard in terms of chasing things down. We didn’t have that previously - the attacking players who weren’t creating were also not running. Not just goodship, but Hutchinson, Acquah, kelman (this season) didn’t run enough.

After watching the last few results come in there are a few players subject to wages I think might be worth keeping on next season.

Dieng - his versatility and ability is definitely more than enough for league Two- defo worth another year at least

White/Macca/Demi - be tempted to keep two out of the three for another year. Their leadership skills, influence on dressing room and ability to come back from injuries and be professional and solid 7/10 players means again - subject to salary given we know they will only play half a seasons worth of games.

Tyrrel - defo worth a couple if years, great energy, direct and not afraid of the ball. Not one yo build a team round but an integral part of a squad

I popped on to the Col U fans board this morning and actually ended up feeling sorry for them. It was like reading a mirror image of our board earlier in the season and they are in complete melt down. Based on yesterday they could end up in one of the relegation positions unless they dump the tippy tappy stuff. Mind you I still have that warm feeling in my stomach that was there at the final whistle, so not too sorry for them. I now look forward to Tuesday night's game, something I wouldn't have done in the not to distant past.

Things are turning around. Saw the goals which were really good. Can't wait to get back to roots Hall. I thought we was nailed on for relagation especially when we was conceding terrible goals every week a month ago . So now we have belief and we have great professionals like John White and Alan mccormack so now I expect / hope mid table which would be a fantastic season

When he was appointed I thought Ron had done some due diligence and got the real deal. Unfortunately results didnt go mm way. I always felt he had one arm tied behind his back because of the embargo. Now we can make a proper appraisal of him, and so far so good. We are still in the relegation zone and three points off safety. There is a ton of work to do. A result on Tuesday would be amazing.

If Barrow and Mansfield had done the decent thing and lost yesterday we would be in a much better position this morning. On top of that Stevenage somehow get a draw at Cheltenham. At least Morecambe stuffed Grimsby and their goal difference is now only one better than ours. If we win on Tuesday and they lose we will be out of the relegation places, and we have a game in hand on them. That would be a great way to end 2020.....

Transformation of the side performances and to go on 5 match unbeaten run is down to the embargo being lifted! A weight was lifted from everyone within the club. MM is showing what good young manager he could potentially be. As MM said after scunthorpe game the season starts now......

Never a Molesley out man, but definitely been a bit sarky about the project and process. Well, it looks like the project and process malarky is proving to be a winner...can someone make me a cup of tea to go with this slice of humble pie.

Football is so special because we can all watch the same game and have vastly different opinions on a multitude of issues in the same game and series of games.

For what it’s worth, my opinion is that you can enjoy your tea without the humble pie.

From where I am watching, it looks to me that our fortunes have improved because of the abandonment of the original project and process rather than its success.

I’d also be taking the opportunity to sup something stronger than a cuppa to celebrate our best result for almost two years.

Come on you Blues.

Transformation of the side performances and to go on 5 match unbeaten run is down to the embargo being lifted! A weight was lifted from everyone within the club. MM is showing what good young manager he could potentially be. As MM said after scunthorpe game the season starts now......

Agree 100%. We were in the mess due to the embargo and having zero forwards in the squad. The difference since Akinola has come into the side is night and day.

If the bloody embargo had been lifted a few weeks earlier, I think we would be out of the bottom two and probably have half an eye on the top half of the table.

As good as we are playing at the moment, we will hit another rough patch (and the woodwork won’t be our 12th man) and it’s only going to take a few dodgy results and we will be back in the doodoo again.

Well done MM, a result at Orient will surely mean Manger of the Month. Which would come after possibly the worst month in our history.

Yes it helps when you can play your own signings and the likes of Macca aren’t injured. But it’s more than that and MM deserves plenty of credit.

I was thinking with no Olay and Macca we will struggle at CM. Then MM comes up with a master stroke and does what most of us would never be brave enough to do. He breaks up the Dieng Hobson partnership and trusts JW. He got two better performances from both JW and Dieng who must have known their slots in the team is not safe. Instead of the MM out brigade telling us you don’t change a non losing defence. We have Dieng putting us 2-0 up v Col U.

Our best chance of keeping Olay and Taylor was wining games and creating a ‘team’ atmosphere. Keep those 2 and sign up JW and Macca and this over played January window can take a back seat.

As for Col U....B******s to them. We are 12 points behind them but with 27 games to go we can catch them. That would be good fun and I will look forward to it...... Happy New year to all the players, staff and especially to us fans..... We really do deserve if.

Well done MM, a result at Orient will surely mean Manger of the Month. Which would come after possibly the worst month in our history.

Yes it helps when you can play your own signings and the likes of Macca aren’t injured. But it’s more than that and MM deserves plenty of credit.

I was thinking with no Olay and Macca we will struggle at CM. Then MM comes up with a master stroke and does what most of us would never be brave enough to do. He breaks up the Dieng Hobson partnership and trusts JW. He got two better performances from both JW and Dieng who must have known their slots in the team is not safe. Instead of the MM out brigade telling us you don’t change a non losing defence. We have Dieng putting us 2-0 up v Col U.

Our best chance of keeping Olay and Taylor was wining games and creating a ‘team’ atmosphere. Keep those 2 and sign up JW and Macca and this over played January window can take a back seat.

As for Col U....B******s to them. We are 12 points behind them but with 27 games to go we can catch them. That would be good fun and I will look forward to it...... Happy New year to all the players, staff and especially to us fans..... We really do deserve if.

We still need an Barry Corr type forward who can give opponents central back lots of problems (ideally run at them to force them to make mistakes) and win everything in the air. Maybe another forward who can play wide or at number 10 role.

We still need an Barry Corr type forward who can give opponents central back lots of problems (ideally run at them to force them to make mistakes) and win everything in the air. Maybe another forward who can play wide or at number 10 role.

Louis Walsh?

That should be an easy find. A strong, fast forward who can run at players and win everything in the air ?

Always thought MM was a good manager, and said from the start he needed time and some patience on our part to turn things round. He came in to a very young (not remotely ready) and lopsided squad, with a longstanding embargo and the legacy of poor management decisions over the last 3-4 years. Clearly, the work started on day 1, and things slowly started to improve. His signings have been spot on, and with the embargo also lifted he wasnt afraid to change his whole philosophy to start playing more direct. And it has paid off. We are still in deep do-do and there is a long way to go to get out of trouble. I would much rather have our bad run in the first months of a season, and now be back on the up, than be in Colchester"s position. They havent learnt their lessons. I agree with Paul Clark - we are now in the opposition faces, deep in their half waiting for them to **** up their playing out from the back regime. 3 months ago that was us and look where it got us...

Meanwhile, bring on Tuesday night. All that is missing from the mix is us, and hopefully some sense and the vaccine will prevail and we can get back in the ground...

I don’t see it as a weakness in MM that he’s had to switch things up, he’s learnt and he’s not afraid to take a few risks to get it right. How many managers have one philosophy and stick stubbornly to it. He’s done wonders with team spirit as well. Confidence gives players that extra % that we’re seeing now and if the likes of Taylor, Olayinka, Akinola and ANG are delivering then that raises the game of others like Dieng. Beating Col Ewe felt amazing let’s see how we get on in Leyton.

From where I am watching, it looks to me that our fortunes have improved because of the abandonment of the original project and process rather than its success.

You do make me smile.

You’ve somehow tried to turn this around from being MMs biggest critic and the person with the most negative outlook on his work to using the situation to somehow demonstrate that you were right all along and MM has somehow followed your advice ?

Whilst the match day tactics have evolved this only demonstrates to me just how little experience you must have on the inside workings of a football club at any level let alone elite.

The “process” and the “project” really has about as much to do with matchday tactics as I had in loading Santa’s sleigh with my 4 year olds presents!

The project and process was about the culture of the football club. The mentality of the players. The training ethics. The timekeeping. The diets. The pre training approach and the pre match approach as well as post game and post training (of all staff not just the players). Did the players follow their re hab programmes as well as their pre hab (injury prevention) programmes diligently and conscientiously. The expectation levels the staff have of the players and the players have of the staff had to change and the demands placed on the expected levels of their performances on the grass, at boots and laces more than at any stadium, had to increase.

This takes time and lots of it, and before anyone gets too ahead of themselves it’s about 15% along the line at the moment. Most importantly it takes characters of a certain type to be in and around your club. In your dressing room. On your training pitch. In your ear and most definitely in the ear of the other players who may not be as experienced or as professional. These players are the ones that reiterate the message. Really hammer it homey day in and day out.

Players like John White, Alan McCormack, Mark Oxley and JD are playing a huge part in the project and the process. Even the likes of Tim Dieng are playing their part and before anyone points out these players were already at the club, it’s the manager and the strength in nos that’s making the difference. These players aren’t being distracted by more powerful influences in the dressing room, they are becoming the majority and are becoming THE powerful influences.

Even early season, these players weren’t on the grass and maybe they didn’t quite trust what MM was bringing to the table at the all important part which is around the club away from the grass. It wasn’t like he was a proven manager with a track record of turning clubs around coming in that they would all immediately fall in line for. These players had seen Bond and Campbell and were rightly sceptical.

Even the loan signings were vital to get right. Players coming in from football clubs that already had a process in place. Players that had the good habits that clubs higher up the pyramid breed in their 8 year olds and ensure are of the highest order by the time they are given pro contracts. Recruitment and education of your players is as much about attitude and ethics as it is about their ability - as we have found?

The process and the project is about all of these things and it’s about how this affects the players that are not the most influential but the most influenced.....

You can criticise some of our younger players that found life tough at Southend but look at the environment we were asking them to flourish in. 5 managers in 24 months. No strategy. Definitely no PROCESS. Talking in riddles. Not talking to them at all.

The senior pros whose responsibility it was to nurture them, to chastise them, to teach them, to bollock them, to make it hard for them to break through so it meant something when they did and most importantly to carry them through games and through periods in games where it was tough and to let them open their wings and fly when it was going well.....just as senior pros had done to them in their youth....let them down, by not showing the right example themselves.

These players like Kelman and Hutchinson needed Alan McCormack three years ago. They needed two more John Whites and two more JDs. They needed a fit and motivated Dieng, a confident Oxley....they got a permanently injured JD, Coker and Mantom, they got a Tom Hopper on the treatment table not a Tom Hopper who could’ve been the best striker in the division, they got a demotivated McLaughlin, a Simon Cox taking care of himself....the list goes on.

The project and the process isn’t wanting and trying to play one way because you’ve assessed the threadbare inexperienced squad that are technically blessed but lacking the leadership physicality and minerals required to play in league 2. It isn’t realising that the players at your disposal right now can really only play one way and that’s to try and use that technical ability and hope it isn’t ruthlessly exposed and it’s not changing the Matchday tactics slightly and being more direct once you have a few more players at your disposal that can carry out that game plan more adequately than others had been able to.

No the project and the process is all the other stuff and turning the mentality of a football club that’s known nothing but losing for pretty much 3 maybe 4 seasons around into one that has some belief and some direction and an identity and strength to match its fanbase.

My bet is you’ll see the return of some different match day tactics over the course of MMs contract that return to a more cultured style of football. That’ll be all part of the project and process that he talks about. But it’s a long long road....right now is a short term way of overcoming some rather large bumps not the end goal.

Last edited:
Not just goodship, but Hutchinson, Acquah, kelman (this season) didn’t run enough.

I’ll let you into a little secret....Hutchinson was top of the running distances and high speed distances pretty much 98% of the time in training and matches. The GPS tracker they wear every day confirms this. He covered more ground in pretty much every game than pretty much every player. For all his faults work rate and running wasn’t one of them. ?

Back