• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

The team played like a team where as MT appeared dysfunctional and with out a plan. I agree with many that Bolger did a very good job after a dodgy 5 minutes when he eventually got on (why are the subs SO unprepared to get on, it took several minutes) and playing alongside Adam worked well; as i believe it would have for Thommo.
The static, predictable, solely defensive pairings we have had at CB have admittedly not conceded many goals BUT they have lacked any attack ability or play making craft, which is what Adam bought to the side, and as others have stated, it seemed to "rub off" through the team. Bolger miss-passed a fair bit AND I hope he continues to seek to make passes as that is the way we should progress.
PB possibly got his subs wrong, I would have liked to have seen Cassidy play as part of a 4 3 3 set up alongside BBBC and Pig. MT had NO wing play and JW and Cokes worked our flanks well.
Poor old Westy looked as if he is a rabbit caught in headlights and his confidence has been shot, felt for him as he didn't look keen to get on and he didn't get a chance to be involved - some players don't make good subs, some do, but maybe not Westy.

Also I watched and listened to PB, DP and Cocko ( I sit near enough to the home dugout) and not once did any of them make an attacking coaching tip; all they shouted was about man making, "take it off him", close him down, watch the no 9 etc; not a single tip on a spotted move forward. IMO the team aren't getting the attacking stuff which is partly why we don't get as many goals as we should and can't break down sides often.

The team played like a team where as MT appeared dysfunctional and with out a plan. I agree with many that Bolger did a very good job after a dodgy 5 minutes when he eventually got on (why are the subs SO unprepared to get on, it took several minutes) and playing alongside Adam worked well; as i believe it would have for Thommo.
The static, predictable, solely defensive pairings we have had at CB have admittedly not conceded many goals BUT they have lacked any attack ability or play making craft, which is what Adam bought to the side, and as others have stated, it seemed to "rub off" through the team. Bolger miss-passed a fair bit AND I hope he continues to seek to make passes as that is the way we should progress.
PB possibly got his subs wrong, I would have liked to have seen Cassidy play as part of a 4 3 3 set up alongside BBBC and Pig. MT had NO wing play and JW and Cokes worked our flanks well.
Poor old Westy looked as if he is a rabbit caught in headlights and his confidence has been shot, felt for him as he didn't look keen to get on and he didn't get a chance to be involved - some players don't make good subs, some do, but maybe not Westy.

He doesn't make a good starting player either. I don't think it is down to being a good or bad sub, more to do with being a very average non-league player.

The number 25 for Mansfield was a disgrace to football. Every time he went up to contend a header, his elbow was up high and aimed towards our player - always angled and horizontal. The challenge by him on Thomson, when Thomson dislocated his right shoulder, was no different - elbow aimed at Thomson's head. I'll do my best to tip off all the fan forums of the teams he will be playing against to get him sanctioned and hopefully to mend his ways before he does someone some permanent damage. Wouldn't want him in my team. As I say, a disgrace.

Congrats to Bolger. Good game and lets hope he goes from strength to strength. Time to get some support going for the lad.

Barrett's footballing character is superb. That is the standard all our players need to reach every week. In fairness some do.

Good point about the elbows. He also caught Bolger and drew blood in the fist half. If you remember he had to get a sponge from the touch line.

This is a great Post. Spoken with sensibility which makes a nice change

That is the key point. I have no idea why people form an opinion on players and then only see the good or bad to match their opinion. Unfortunately there is loads of that at Roots Hall and on here in particular. We've seen the same over the last few seasons with Paul Smith and Anthony Straker to name but two. They have a couple of bad games, then people just pick on every mistake and completely ignore all the things we they do well to suit an agenda...really baffles me?

We are a Division 4 team, our players are going to have good and bad days. If they were always excellent they would not be playing for us....I really like Ben Coker at left back,,,but at Stevenage he was absolutely awful....I also haven't rated Barrett or Bolger particularly, but both were excellent yesterday (there, it is possible).

Even on this thread, with Bolger, people are coming on grudgingly saying he was good in the air, but focussing on his weak distribution etc... What was needed yesterday was someone to come in and get hold of their No.25 who was bullying Thompson (and Barrett at times) and that's exactly what he did. Bolger is a Centre Back and he did his job very well yesterday. If his distribution was great, but he lost all the aerial challenges we'd probably be looking at a different result, so let's please see the positives.

Yeah he might have had poor games in the past, he will probably have poor games in the future, but that doesn't prevent him from credit for a strong performance yesterday

Couldn't make the game yesterday (due to a burst ear drum of all things!!) but listened to it on the radio, and it sounded like we did enough, without ever getting out of 1st gear. It is a little frustrating when we do this as it has cost us points already this season, but a win is a win and it means we've almost cemented our play off place.

I just wanted to pick up on the comments re Bolger. He's not the finished article, and has a long way to go, but for my money, he's out best central defender - certainly the one with the most potential to have a long and successful career. No, his distribution isn't great, but then we're hardly likely to unearth a Bobby Moore at this level are we? His primary objective is to precent the opposition from scoring, and I think he's pretty damn good at that. He doesn't need to be able to drop 60 yard passes on a six pence, that's not his role in the team. If he's playing alongside Adam Barrett, then we already have a CB who is comfortable on the ball.

We've got to be careful we don't go down this well trodden route of hammering a player who is relatively young and then watching him leave to go on and be successful somewhere else, like we've done before. Thompson has come on leaps and bounds this season which is great, and that has come about through regular first team football and more experience, and if you look at him, his age and Bolhger as well, you have the potential of a decent central paring for years to come, certainly at this level of football.

Bolger should absolutely start on Mondat @ Hartlepool, no question about that.

My other point is re Jake Cassidy. Another who has come in for criticism from our fans, perhaps with slightly more justification. He hasn't scored yet, and I think just getting that first goal will really boost his confidence - that miss at Stevenage still haunts me, so it must be playing on his mind! - but I think he is a top player. with a tremendous work ethic, and a real touch of class. Pigott has done well for us, but he's not been at his best over recent games, and I would certainly go with Vassify on Monday to freshen it up a bit, and give him a chance of playing alongside the big man - I honestly believe he will come good, and could be an absolute star for us as the season gets to the business end.

Tough game on Monday, but that win, albeit not against great opposition, will stand us in good stead, and I think we'll come away with all 3 points!

Good point about the elbows. He also caught Bolger and drew blood in the fist half. If you remember he had to get a sponge from the touch line.

Yes, he had his nose plugged for the remainder of the first half. Not the first time Bolger has spilt blood for the cause.

Couldn't make the game yesterday (due to a burst ear drum of all things!!) but listened to it on the radio, and it sounded like we did enough, without ever getting out of 1st gear. It is a little frustrating when we do this as it has cost us points already this season, but a win is a win and it means we've almost cemented our play off place.

I just wanted to pick up on the comments re Bolger. He's not the finished article, and has a long way to go, but for my money, he's out best central defender - certainly the one with the most potential to have a long and successful career. No, his distribution isn't great, but then we're hardly likely to unearth a Bobby Moore at this level are we? His primary objective is to precent the opposition from scoring, and I think he's pretty damn good at that. He doesn't need to be able to drop 60 yard passes on a six pence, that's not his role in the team. If he's playing alongside Adam Barrett, then we already have a CB who is comfortable on the ball.

We've got to be careful we don't go down this well trodden route of hammering a player who is relatively young and then watching him leave to go on and be successful somewhere else, like we've done before. Thompson has come on leaps and bounds this season which is great, and that has come about through regular first team football and more experience, and if you look at him, his age and Bolhger as well, you have the potential of a decent central paring for years to come, certainly at this level of football.

Bolger should absolutely start on Mondat @ Hartlepool, no question about that.

My other point is re Jake Cassidy. Another who has come in for criticism from our fans, perhaps with slightly more justification. He hasn't scored yet, and I think just getting that first goal will really boost his confidence - that miss at Stevenage still haunts me, so it must be playing on his mind! - but I think he is a top player. with a tremendous work ethic, and a real touch of class. Pigott has done well for us, but he's not been at his best over recent games, and I would certainly go with Vassify on Monday to freshen it up a bit, and give him a chance of playing alongside the big man - I honestly believe he will come good, and could be an absolute star for us as the season gets to the business end.

Tough game on Monday, but that win, albeit not against great opposition, will stand us in good stead, and I think we'll come away with all 3 points!

Can't have been that bad then :winking:

Barrett rolled back the years. Certainly food for thought for those who thought he was past it.

I foresee an 88th-minute 1-0 headed winner from his bald pate at Wembley to seal promotion back into League One.... :winking:

Jesus. I am almost salivating at that thought Angell Delight, lol... :smile:

Comfortable game yesterday, which is what we needed with another game on Monday. Mansfield came back into it near the end, but we showed good professionalism by seeing the game out.

Bentley 7 Not much to do. One lovely long throw out to Will to set up a chance in the 1st half
White 7 Solid (getting tired of using that word for JW, but that is him)
Thompson 6.5 Given a rough ride in the aerial battle. Hope he recovers quickly
Barrett 8.5 My MOTM. Played like it was his first ever match, and wanted to impress. Positionally brilliant. Tackled well. Good distribution and even dribbled into midfield to start attacks. When he retires at the end of season, I hope he remembers that game as one of his very best
Coker 6.5 Did ok, but still needs some work on the training ground with McLaughlin. Didn't quite gel, yet.
Atkinson 8 Really good game. Worked tirelessly and dribbled well. Deserved his goal
Leonard 7.5 His best game of the season. Was everywhere. Was even on the line when they hit the bar.
Timlin 7.5 Tidy and workmanlike. Kept things simple and great pass for Corr's opener
McLaughlin 7 Needs more time with Coker. Looks a good player and gave the team a nice balance. Liked they way he came infield to get the ball when we weren't using him
Piggot 6.5 Marked very tightly but kept plugging away
Corr 8 Won countless headers and took his goal really well. He really is in top form

Subs
Bolger 7 Instantly stopped their aerial threat. Best I have seen him play. Worked well alongside the experienced, AB
Cassidy 7 Showed some nice touches. A good, hardworking player
Weston 6.5 Not on long

Super Kings - "Barrett 8.5 My MOTM. Played like it was his first ever match, and wanted to impress. Positionally brilliant. Tackled well. Good distribution and even dribbled into midfield to start attacks. When he retires at the end of season, I hope he remembers that game as one of his very best."

"Positionally brilliant" - except when he back tracked after one of our attacks down the wrong flank! Coker thought it was hilarious. Gestured to Phil Brown that Bazza's getting old and senile! Funniest moment of the game.

For me the stand out players were Timlin , Corr , Barrett and Atkinson. All 8's for me, with Timlin the stand out. Yes he made some wayward passes , but his pass for the goal was one of the best you'll see this season, but for me, it's his total awareness of the game around him. If you watch him you just know that he understands the game. He organises at corners both attacking and defending and I've said it constantly for me, if Timlin is fit he should be the first name on the team sheet. If anyone of that team becomes a manager, for me, it will be him.

Was good to see Barrett , also however I think it will be good for Bolger to play alongside him as well, because with Bolger for me he isn't that far off being a towering defender that leads by example. He is strong and quick , the type of centre back teams need, he just needs to concentrate for the entire period he is playing , AB will assist this.

We did enough first half and I reckon brown had in his mind that we've a long trip up north on Monday, no way could we play with the same pressing and tempo in the second half as we did in the first.

Good all round performance . Professional in its execution .

Bring on the monkey hangers !!

Yep, if I see Hartlepool dropped back to bottom 2 by Monday evening, it's mean we got a great win!

Back