• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Westcliff Shrimper

Director of Footballs⭐
With the lovely Mrs Dodd making her annual visit to
the Mecca of Football, a win, and playing well, was
needed - and we got both.  Kinda.

A win is a win is a win, but we had to work hard to
get it, and the level of fitness between the Blues and
the Cherries was very evident, especially in the
second half.

Other people on this list are better at match reports,
so here is my ratings, player by player:

1. Flahavan - 7 out of 10 - I thought that Flavs was
carrying an injury as he was throwing the ball out to
either full-back so often, but he did kick the
goal-kicks, so hats off to the coaching team for
realising that Flavs used to slow the game down too
much by not throwing out the ball.  Not today.  Had no
chance with their goal, and came out for a couple of
crosses.

2. Jupp - 7/10 - I have had some good discussions with
Paul Yeomanson on the Jupp vs Hunt at full back issue,
and today showed his good and bad points - i.e.
excellent going forward, and always gave an option to
the midfield, however he does dive in a bit, leaving
Prior exposed.  Good game from the Scotsman.

3. Wilson - 6/10 - Didn't contribute much going
forward, but dependable as usual.  Was left exposed
for Bournemouth's goal.

5. Prior - 6/10 - Leden-footed, and possibly could
have been rested for Edwards, with 4 games in 8 days.
Did put the pass through for Gray to run onto for the
penalty/sending off.

6. Barrett - 8/10 - Mr Determination, but we have come
to expect that over the last 18 months.  Tilly said
that all new contracts would be discussed in the New
Year - lets hope AB is first in the queue.

7. Gower - 7/10 - Excellent first half, but faded in
the second, to be replaced by Petts.  Everything went
through him, and always caused problems.  

8. Maher - 7/10 - Better game from the captain than of
late.  Seems to be happier with Gutts alongside him
than Smith - left the corners to Gower, which was a
welcome change.

16. Guttridge - 7/10 - Isn't quite match-fit, and the
foul that led to his booking was the result of
tiredness, in my opinion.  As said above, seems to
compliment Maher better than Smith, and could have had
a goal before the cracker that turned out to be the
winner.  Does he score scrappy goals?

14. Cole - 5/10 - Hasn't the fitness level to play so
many games in such a short space of time, and I was
surprised to see him return for the second half.
Expect to see Petts or Bentley start against
Blackpool.

23. Eastwood - 7/10 - Dropped deep a lot to get the
ball when he should be further up the pitch.  Replaced
by Lawson after seeming to pick up a knock, and was
unlucky to hit the post after producing a chance out
of nothing.

10. Gray - 8/10 MOM - Worked hard, gave everything,
and deserved his goal.  Simple decision for the ref,
as only Gray has the pace to get onto a through ball
like that, and was never going to be caught.  Defender
could have no arguments over the red-card.

Subs: Bentley - 6/10 - Doesn't like playing on the
right, and it shows.  Still got the first touch of a
baby elephant, but motors around well.

Lawson - 5/10 - Needs to beef up a bit, as he gets
knocked off the ball too often.  Has gone backwards a
bit (ala Kightly), but will get better.  Hopefully.

Petts - 6/10 - Same Petts performance as usual, busy
player, but not a threat going forward.  Should start
against Blackpool - if not him, then Bentley instead
of Cole.

Second in the league (on goal difference) going into
2006 - lets hope the transfer window brings us a
couple of new players.  Frank Lampard and Thierry
Henry would be nice.

A mention needs to be made about the Bournemouth
players - the right back (James O'Connor) had a good
game, as well as Andrew Surman, who looks about 12.
Worth a look Tilly?

Happy New Year to everyone.

Wouldn't disagree too strongly with that. I thought Gutts was pretty good to be fair, especially as he is still struggling with fitness.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (OlvisIII @ Dec. 31 2005,18:01)]Wouldn't disagree too strongly with that.  I thought Gutts was pretty good to be fair, especially as he is still struggling with fitness.
Exactly the point I am trying to make - he just needs games at the moment.

Would disagree about Bentley. When he came on he was making loads of tackles and getting the ball down and playing it across alot. Started quite a few chances for us.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (BluePartridge @ Dec. 31 2005,18:48)]Would disagree about Bentley. When he came on he was making loads of tackles and getting the ball down and playing it across alot. Started quite a few chances for us.
indeed

[b said:
Quote[/b] (CI-City Blue @ Dec. 31 2005,17:44)]A mention needs to be made about the Bournemouth
players - the right back (James O'Connor)
But come on, how much room was we giving him to play down their right hand side!

He was allowed the freedom of Roots Hall.

A player i would like Tilly to get in would be MK Dons Centre Half Craig Morgan, looked solid in both games, and got MOM 9/10 in the sun newspaper.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (TonyTheKray @ Dec. 31 2005,21:13)]Craig Morgan, looked solid in both games, and got MOM 9/10 in the sun newspaper.
Oh well that settles it. If the Sun gave him 9/10 we MUST have him. Come on Tilly get moving.
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (* ORM * @ Dec. 31 2005,21:17)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (TonyTheKray @ Dec. 31 2005,21:13)]Craig Morgan, looked solid in both games, and got MOM 9/10 in the sun newspaper.
Oh well that settles it. If the Sun gave him 9/10 we MUST have him. Come on Tilly get moving.  
laugh.gif

laugh.gif
Well i thought he looked like a good player!

Craig Morgan is a player that I was particularly impressed with on boxing day. He looked as solid as a rock. I'm really surprised to see MK Dons down at the bottom of the league with him at the heart of the defence.

Tilly was quick to shake his hand at the end of the game on boxing day I noticed. He is only 20, and was signed from Wrexham in the summer I believe.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (lincoln shrimper @ Jan. 01 2006,10:50)]Craig Morgan is a player that I was particularly impressed with on boxing day. He looked as solid as a rock. I'm really surprised to see MK Dons down at the bottom of the league with him at the heart of the defence.

Tilly was quick to shake his hand at the end of the game on boxing day I noticed. He is only 20, and was signed from Wrexham in the summer I believe.
Interesting observation - I think the January transfer window will see a few surprises... Lets hope they are good signings ! !
cool.gif

I want Hayter, he's quality, so fast. Bournemouth were very unlucky to get nothing out of this game. IMHO we were lucky to snatch all 3 points. After they scored I thought we was going to throw it away.

Why can't we play the overlap on the flanks, we were playing ten men and we still couldn't expose them down the wing? Watching yesterday was like pulling teeth, or watching England. We'd play nice passing football forwards, up to the edge of the penalty area, but with little penetration. The ball would then end up being passed back deep into our half at which point we would invariably lose possession. We had loads of possession but rarely looked threatening. We need to get behind teams because at the moment we are far too predictable

[b said:
Quote[/b] (lincoln shrimper @ Jan. 01 2006,10:50)]Craig Morgan is a player that I was particularly impressed with on boxing day. He looked as solid as a rock. I'm really surprised to see MK Dons down at the bottom of the league with him at the heart of the defence.

Seconded!!

He would fit in really well at the Hall!

Would be an ideal replacement for Spinner!

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Wessex Blue @ Jan. 01 2006,16:55)]I want Hayter, he's quality, so fast. Bournemouth were very unlucky to get nothing out of this game. IMHO we were lucky to snatch all 3 points. After they scored I thought we was going to throw it away.

Why can't we play the overlap on the flanks, we were playing ten men and we still couldn't expose them down the wing? Watching yesterday was like pulling teeth, or watching England. We'd play nice passing football forwards, up to the edge of the penalty area, but with little penetration. The ball would then end up being passed back deep into our half at which point we would invariably lose possession. We had loads of possession but rarely looked threatening. We need to get behind teams because at the moment we are far too predictable
I thought the same, and have been banging on about this for ages!!

The full backs and wingers play to close to each other. They dont seem to wanna make the run down the flanks or make the overlap. They also wanna give the ball away too quickly.

3 games in 6 days can cause triedness for the squad when we only got 13 fit players left so we have to include few youth player to make up the numbers, in another hand, Bournemouth are fresher and had 8 days rest, its not easy to attack them all the time as SUFC only have 70% of enegry left, anyteam would have beaten us with 10 mens. So a win is a win, 7 points from 3 games so give them big hand for their efforts.

Blackpool can be tough if they can wear us down & with good finishers up front, then is maybe an uphills task for us if we go behind.

Agreed on Hayter and agreed on Morgan.

We won't get either though.
sad.gif

I can see January being a long hard wait on the signing front. Perhaps it's me taking a synical attitude but some of the quotes Tilly occasionally gives don't inspire me with too much confidence. Especially the "we'll only get players who are better than we've already got". That's all very well and good, but our squad is obviously too small and although we need to improve the quality, we also need numbers as well.

Whilst Maher was slightly improved on recent performances, he was still pants against Bournemouth. He is pedestrian. At one point, having given the ball away with yet another hopeless sideways pass in an attacking position, he was left the most upfield player when the ball flashed wide of our goal from the Bournemouth break. He simply is not contested for his position and thus he gives very little effort. IMHO we would be a far better side with Maher and Prior out of the team and Bentley and Edwards in it!

[b said:
Quote[/b] (shrimperian @ Jan. 02 2006,09:26)]Whilst Maher was slightly improved on recent performances, he was still pants against Bournemouth.  He is pedestrian.  At one point, having given the ball away with yet another hopeless sideways pass in an attacking position, he was left the most upfield player when the ball flashed wide of our goal from the Bournemouth break.  He simply is not contested for his position and thus he gives very little effort.  IMHO we would be a far better side with Maher and Prior out of the team and Bentley and Edwards in it!
strange how opinions on him contrast, the football league paper had him in the their team of the week and gave him 8/10 stating "he was superb".

Back