• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Ricey

I’m a Mod, that’s unpossible⭐⭐
Staff member
Great start to the season, post your ratings and reports here.

Deserved the win there. Could have won by more really, Blackburn's only real chance being their goal and it wasn't even really a chance. Thought McGlashan did well, especially his Leonard-esque recovery run in the second half as they broke away 5 yards ahead of him. Superb stuff.

Honourable mention to John White for being solid all game as always, Leonard for doing what Leonard does and Cox for that near worldy over the shoulder volley that whistled wide.

Brilliant result and performance! They dominated for 10 mins after half time but other than that we looked quite comfortable. Some were flagging towards the end but kept going and never gave up. Width was brilliant and we were pretty clinical when chances did come our way. Blackburn weren't brilliant given the quality in that team but were far from a poor side.

Oxley 7 One good save first half and dealt well with everything thrown at him.
Demetriou 8 An asset going forwards and disciplined defensively for a change. Didn't get carried away.
White 8 Brilliant in the air and kept his position well. Looked comfortable out of position.
Ferdinand 8 As above, supported White well.
Hendrie 8 Huge improvement on Brighton, looked at it and got forward well too. One or two sloppy passes.
McGlashan 7 Great pace and work rate, sometimes lacked the end product.
Leonard 8 Gave his all, no doubting his commitment after that performance.
Timlin 9 Bossed the midfield, chased everything, put his foot in.
Kightly 9 His quality really showed and he didn't stop running, his touch and delivery is class.
Cox 6 Frustrating for him, worked hard but nothing came off.
Fortune 7 As above but really worried Mulgrew especially late on.

Subs
Robinson 6 Could have done better with his late header but kept the pressure up.
McLaughlin - Barely had a chance on the ball.

Unfair to pick a man of the match, could have been almost anyone. Top class performance and impressive level of fitness for the first game back. Well done to the team and PB. 45 more like that please!!

Last edited:
Match report: Southend United 2, Blackburn Rovers 1

FIRST-HALF goals from Ryan Leonard and Michael Kightly saw Southend United start the new League One season with a 2-1 win against title favourites Blackburn Rovers this afternoon.

More...

Great result.... Just heard about the poor old chap who passed away during the game and full respect to PB to mention that and dedicate that win to him. RIP peace fellow Shrimper.

Great result.... Just heard about the poor old chap who passed away during the game and full respect to PB to mention that and dedicate that win to him. RIP peace fellow Shrimper.
Gutting news after a great afternoon on the pitch. RIP.

At the end of this season Blackburn will be there or thereabouts. They have a good manager, a good team and a bit of spending power. And, with the exception of 15 minutes after half time, we pretty much played them off park. The fact we did it without Wordsworth, Ranger, Kiernan or Coker says everything we need to know about what we should be expecting this season.

Kightly was head and shoulders above anything they had to offer, McGlashan put one his best performances in a Blues shirt and there are no doubts about Lenny's attitude.

We played good, attacking attractive football.... and unlike last season where we may have buckled after conceding we didn't.

It's early days. It's one game. But on that performance, anything is possible.

Very very enjoyable match,(and well officiated in the main).
Two teams who wanted to knock the ball about, on a pitch that had longish grass but ran well.
And a fair result, but maybe we should have had another goal or two as we certainly had the better chances.
None of the lads had a weak game and PB got the selection about right - and the subs.
I would have had MAF as my M o M; and he was desperately unlucky not to score.
Good debuts for Hendrie and Kightly.
NO, nil, zero sign of dis-interest from Lenny.
Strong CB play from JW and Anton.
Ox did well too, came and got a few high balls, good shot save, little chance on a near perfect free kick goal by Mulgrew.

Finally a good crowd - and a good performance! Happy days.

Interestingly both Pubey & Ricey would prefer to see Kiernan play with a broken leg and hang over rather than have John White as a centre back.

Not sure that any of the 9,000 plus at the game would agree with that.

Hash tag: JohnWhiteplayedverywellindeed

[FONT=.SF UI Text][FONT=.SFUIText]Oxley 7 - Good save in the first half, his kicking is second to none. [/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=.SF UI Text][FONT=.SFUIText][/FONT]
[/FONT]

[FONT=.SF UI Text][FONT=.SFUIText]Demetriou 8 - One of his better performances for us I think. Was outstanding in the first 20 minutes. [/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=.SF UI Text][FONT=.SFUIText]White 9 - Pretty sure White is a better centre back than full back... looked completely comfortable and got his head on every single high ball. [/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=.SF UI Text][FONT=.SFUIText]Ferdinand 8 - Assured performance, looked comfortable throughout and a good leader. [/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=.SF UI Text][FONT=.SFUIText]Hendrie 6 - I'm still not decided on him, looks short of confidence at the moment and I think he was one of our weaker links today - without actually being bad. [/FONT][/FONT]
[/FONT]

[FONT=.SF UI Text][FONT=.SFUIText]McGlashan 8 - best performance I've seen him have in a long time, looked really up for it today.[/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=.SF UI Text][FONT=.SFUIText]Leonard 8 - I've criticised Leonard throughout pre season for not giving his all, but I can't say the same today. A solid performance with plenty of effort - looks like he has now accepted he's going to be here this season. [/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=.SF UI Text][FONT=.SFUIText]Timlin 8 - Put a good shift in in the middle, very lively and committed as always. [/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=.SF UI Text][FONT=.SFUIText]Kightly 9 - Will be the difference for us this year, different class - should be playing at least a league higher. [/FONT][/FONT]
[/FONT]

[FONT=.SF UI Text][FONT=.SFUIText]Cox 6 - Think Cox had a rough time out there today and not a lot came off for him. [/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=.SF UI Text][FONT=.SFUIText]Fortune 7 - looked lively and held the ball up well as always. Slightly frustrating waiting for him to pull a shot off at times though! [/FONT][/FONT]
[/FONT]

[FONT=.SF UI Text][FONT=.SFUIText]Subs:[/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=.SF UI Text][FONT=.SFUIText]Robinson 5 - When you're holding a tight lead you need your striker to be chasing everything. Didn't look fit to me. [/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=.SF UI Text][FONT=.SFUIText]McLaughlin - Not enough time for a rating but minutes on the pitch are a bonus![/FONT][/FONT]

Interestingly both Pubey & Ricey would prefer to see Kiernan play with a broken leg and hang over rather than have John White as a centre back.

Not sure that any of the 9,000 plus at the game would agree with that.

Hash tag: JohnWhiteplayedverywellindeed

And I still stand by that!

What a wonderful riposte to those Rovers' fans' tweets and who plainly thought their team simply had to show up to walk off with the spoils. Well done all at RH for teaching them that life in this Division won't be like that. 3 points for the boys. What a start.

Back