• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Most of my match thoughts have been covered extremely thoroughly and well by other posters, so this report won't be too long. MoM for me?..................From Oxley, Lenny & Kyprianou I will opt for Kyp, predominantly because in previous games I thought he was a work in progress. Today he was the business in defence. No fancy stuff, timely interceptions and some great covering for our Captain. Everyone worked their socks off, several looked really knackered, Wright, Woody and Nile especially. Others have already voiced an opinion on Anton and I think we will have to wait an see what Phil choses to do for the next league game. Fabulous save by Oxley at the death, It will stick in my recent memory along with Cox's free kick against Walsall last season. Blackpool supporters must have been seriously ****ed off by that miss so near the final whistle. The journey home to Lancashire will be pretty miserable I think.

So we have taken 9 points from the last three games, I just hope we haven't exhausted our lady luck allocation too early in the season.

lady luck ? starts in november

Last edited by a moderator:
The pitch seemed a tad better, it cut up a bit still but not as bad as at the start of the season. Hopefully it has started to root properly and can start being cut shorter and the bounce become more uniform across the surface. It didn't need sprinklers today.

The pitch seemed a tad better, it cut up a bit still but not as bad as at the start of the season. Hopefully it has started to root properly and can start being cut shorter and the bounce become more uniform across the surface. It didn't need sprinklers today.

We actually thought it cut up more in front of the West stand than previously. There were big lumps everywhere that needed kicking back in. It may not have needed sprinklers, but it certainly got them.

Hmm. Weren't at the game, but two things for me.

Firstly, Phil criticised Ranger and said he was off his game (or words to that effect), but as far as I can see he has not made any comment on Anton over recent weeks...? Why? John White must be wondering what he has to do...

Secondly, I am mystified how Theo obtained an extension to his contract. I would prefer to see Ba on the bench instead of him, lets see what he can do.

Most of my match thoughts have been covered extremely thoroughly and well by other posters, so this report won't be too long. MoM for me?..................From Oxley, Lenny & Kyprianou I will opt for Kyp, predominantly because in previous games I thought he was a work in progress. Today he was the business in defence. No fancy stuff, timely interceptions and some great covering for our Captain. Everyone worked their socks off, several looked really knackered, Wright, Woody and Nile especially. Others have already voiced an opinion on Anton and I think we will have to wait an see what Phil choses to do for the next league game. Fabulous save by Oxley at the death, It will stick in my recent memory along with Cox's free kick against Walsall last season. Blackpool supporters must have been seriously ****ed off by that miss so near the final whistle. The journey home to Lancashire will be pretty miserable I think.

So we have taken 9 points from the last three games, I just hope we haven't exhausted our lady luck allocation too early in the season.

Can I meet Mrs RHB please??

Last edited by a moderator:
Firstly agree the pitch was better and thats a good sign. Cut in in a couple of places but now believe it will be ok

Oxley 9 - Is a very decent keeper and a great signing at this level. 3 very good saves including the penalty
Demitriou 7 - Decent game, got forward and posed a threat and defended ok
Ferdinand 6 - Isn't fully fit- looked like he tweaked something early on. But not as bad as some would make out. Some good defending, a few ropey moments. My biggest issue we need one CB who can dominate in the air- which is why Turner when fit may be a saviour
Kyprianou 8 - Going to be a very good CB- good defender, chose wisely when to clear his lines (which he did well), and pass (which he did well)
Timlin 7 - Luckily the manager who understands football picks the team rather than others who have determined he is not a LB therefore must have played badly. He is all over his opposite number like an old suit, gets stuck in, breaks up a lot of play. He could like some back off all the time and not make the occasional mistake, but then that would cancel the good things too. He gets picked because of how he played not in spite of it..
Wright 6 - Nothing particularly wrong, probably one who has found 3 games in 8 days a challenge- knackered at the end. Decent player.
Leonard 8 - Back to his best. Everywhere. Covered, defended, decent distribution. Gave his all- knackered at the end. Another who hopefully will be rested Tuesday.
Wordsworth 7 - Played well - adds quality. Had it still been 2-0 with 20 mins to go I am sure he would have been rested. In the end other substitutions became a priority.
McLaughlin 6 - Worked hard. Not a lot came off
Cox 7 - Never gave up, great to see a guy who has played at a higher level chasing stuff down, working for the team. The goal came about because he put the CB under pressure and gambled- so was in the right place when the ball dropped. You make your own luck.
Ranger 6 - 3 games in 8 days was probably a step to far. Will always occupy the opposition CBs creating space elsewhere but a weeks rest will now be welcome

Subs

Fortune 7 - Quality touch. Caused problems even though we were under the cosh a bit. I assume will get 90 mins Tuesday.
White 6 - Does what he does. 90 minutes at CB Tues probably with Kyp.
Robinson 6 - Not on long did OK although he did have a situation up against the CB where I was just wishing he would take him on into the box- suspect he was thinking more about slowing it down, running into the corners- in the 15th minute he would have skinned him a created an opportunity for himself- the mind is a strange thing.

Looking forward to getting Kightly back and Kiernan or Turner at the centre of
defence to give height in both boxes. Especially when Ranger isn't there to come back and help.

Team tired badly 2nd half ...two games in a week really tests the limited squad we have.Anton we know from last year struggled fitness wise with 2 games,but his experience along side Harry and leading the team shouldn't be underestimated.
Oxley has this season really proved me wrong ,didn't believe he he could maintain the standard he has set this season...Nice to be proved wrong.
Every game that passes hopefully edges us towards a fully fit squad and players being in their proper positions .
Well done all the lads 9 points in a week through hard team work ...not pretty at times but as a supporter I can't ask for more

Hasn't someone normally posted a link for the 'highlights' by now? Would someone technically minded help out those less able/

Robinson just looks clueless. In his brief appearance today - one good run that turned into a bad one; one throw in to him that he wasn't watching.

Keeping it short I thought Timlin was much improved today despite some thinking he was poor.

I echo what others are saying about Ferdinand, he is the chink in our armour and that will be exploited. Fearing an Adam Barrett de ja vu...

Robinson wasn't on for too long but what a stark contrast to the progress he had shown in the last two home games.

We should've been seeing the game out at 2-0, but a 90-whatever-minute penalty save to steal the points. That's football!

Am beginning to think that Lady Luck is on our side this season for a change! Had every faith in Oxley for the penalty, never doubted it for a minute. Pitch did look a little better, the condition doesn't seem to be preventing us from passing it about anyway.

Oxley - 8, a decent game, he's growing in stature and that penalty save will give him an even bigger confidence boost - well done Ox!
Demetriou - 7, a goal line clearance and then a stupid penalty given away - there's the two extremes. Didn't get forward as much as in previous games, especially in the 2nd half
Ferdinand - 5, ok, he's playing on the "wrong" side but that's no excuse for the amount of times he gets caught out or turned. His far less experienced central partner is continuously having to step in confidently
Kyprianou - 8, much more authoritative and decisive, needed to be. Deserved sponsors' MOTM - couldn't really argue with it at the time they would have decided it
Timlin - 7, improved performance on Tuesday, but he's still not a LB for me and it's frankly an insult to White and Hendrie to have him starting before them there
Wright - 7, solid performance
Leonard - 8.5, my MOTM, I'll keep saying that Ron Martin needs to break the bank to offer this boy the sort of contract he can't turn down. Absolute key figure, hugely under-rated in what he puts in every game - what was all that claptrap about his head having been turned and not being able to concentrate during pre-season?
Wordsworth - 7, took on far more physical work today and less creative, with Lenny taking more on that side. Another goal!
McLaughlin - 7.5, quite under rated I feel, does an awful lot of defensive work as well as that forward thrusting stuff
Cox - - 7.5, better from Cox, however, there was one time he was so deep he was behind all of the midfield - that can't be right!
Ranger - 6.5, disappointing, however, another game where he was getting nothing from the officials

Subs:
Fortune for Ranger - 7.5, came on and showed the kind of stuff we know he can do
White for McLaughlin - 7.5, poor John, comes on and does the job and must wonder what on earth he needs to do to get back in the starting line up!
Robinson for Cox - 6.5, didn't quite work out how he ran the ball into the corner against two of their players and ended up with a foul given against him? Right sub, he's strong, things didn't come off for him though today

Officials - this ref was dreadful, so one sided in the first half and then just plain awful in the 2nd. Didn't think Lenny's card was justified at all.

Isn't it a change to NOT hear "The referee cost us" type whinges?

Yes it is. I'd have been fuming if it were my team and that poor ref. Quite impressed by Mr Bowyer's response - he talks like a grown up.

Just a couple of observations from me.

John White is better than Anton who is going the same way as Barrett and Chris Barker
Ranger is obviously targeted as our danger man and was marked by 3 players, so some of the comments regarding his performance are harsh
I dont see what the manager sees in Robinson. I thought he was pants first time here and he has done nothing yet to make me change my mind

I prefer McGlashen to McLaughlin, his raw pace terrifies defences and McLaugh is just ordinary imo

I think that if we played Fortune (instead of Robinson) and Ranger together the opposition wouldn't know who the target man is thus giving both of them more space.

We have got stop backing off when leading, take the game to the oppo and defend in their half instead of inviting them on to us.

Oxley MOM easily...great save first half and then penalty save.
If I was rating players ranger would get a 4 today....awful. barely won a header terrible hold up play...just awful.
Happy with the points
Any centre backs coming back soon???

I dont see what the manager sees in Robinson. I thought he was pants first time here and he has done nothing yet to make me change my mind

I prefer McGlashen to McLaughlin, his raw pace terrifies defences and McLaugh is just ordinary imo

Everyone is entitled to their opinion and everything but I can’t agree with these points. Robinson hasn’t set the world alight since he came back this time. He scored a few last season and definitely changed a few games in our favour as did McGlashan by coming on against tired legs. This season he’s been poor throughout.

BUT

In his first spell here he scored 7 goals in 21 games and formed a lethal partnership with Lee Barnard. Both of those players perhaps shouldn’t have returned as performances in their second spells are starting to affect fans memories of their first.

And Glash over Macca? Behave.

Macca got 8 goals last season and already has 2 this season. What’s Glash done of note?

Back