• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Everyone is entitled to their opinion and everything but I can’t agree with these points. Robinson hasn’t set the world alight since he came back this time. He scored a few last season and definitely changed a few games in our favour as did McGlashan by coming on against tired legs. This season he’s been poor throughout.

BUT

In his first spell here he scored 7 goals in 21 games and formed a lethal partnership with Lee Barnard. Both of those players perhaps shouldn’t have returned as performances in their second spells are starting to affect fans memories of their first.

And Glash over Macca? Behave.

Macca got 8 goals last season and already has 2 this season. What’s Glash done of note?

That seem to happen with most players that come back for second spells, discounting Spinner and Edwards and Barrett in his first couple of seasons back

Oxley MOM easily...great save first half and then penalty save.
If I was rating players ranger would get a 4 today....awful. barely won a header terrible hold up play...just awful.
Happy with the points
Any centre backs coming back soon???

Apart from the great cushioned header down to Lenny who then lobbed it into Cox who scored the winner obviously.

Going in blind, so here goes.

RATINGS :

Oxley 9 MOM - That was a pretty complete performance. Two fantastic saves, particularly the one in the first half and, of course, the penalty save at the end. When you think back to the Oxley of a year ago, it's hard to imagine how solid a keeper he looks now. Also got a couple of important punches in and commanded his box well.

Demetriou 6.5 - Not so good today, particularly defensively for me. Not a bad performance, but not up to his usual best.

Timlin 6 - Seemed to be affected by Tuesday night and didn't know whether to stick or twist a lot of the time. Looks a bit shaky there, at the moment. Needs a good game or I think Hendrie will be back in. Especially if he impresses on Tuesday night.

Kyprianou 8 - Really seems to grow game on game. Thought he had another excellent match.

Ferdinand 7 - Seemed much more on it today. Especially in the first half. Still looks a bit out of sorts, though, overall. Definitely a step in the right direction.

Wright 6 - Thought he struggled a bit, today. Maybe 3 games in a week after not playing much before took it's toll, but the game seemed to bypass him a lot.

Worsdworth 6.5 - Did OK and took his goal well, but again, the 3 games might have been a factor in a pretty leggy performance in midfield.

McLaughlin 7 - Had a better game than Tuesday. Very good first half.

Leonard 8 - Top drawer, as always. Thought he bossed our midfield. Some great interceptions and worked tirelessly.

Cox 7.5 - Worked really hard and good to see him get a goal.

Ranger 6 - Seemed to be trying too hard. Nothing seemed to work for him, today. Really lacks a killer instinct in the box, as well.

SUBS :

Fortune 7 - That was a great turn and shot, plus he tried to use the ball intelligently, when he could.

White 7 - As with Tuesday, not really on long enough to make an impact either way.

Robinson 5 :smile: - Saved the best until last. It was comical, sadly. His first six or so touches of the ball were almost park level and the miscommunication with the throw in was, well, what can I say. Did do well to run the ball into the corner, but that was about it. I like him, but he really needs to up his game, for me.

SUBSTITUTIONS :

I think they worked, in a way. I probably wouldn't have taken Cox off, but on the White substitution, I think that was the right call to go 3-5-2.

REFEREE :

Not great, if I'm honest. Booked people for what looked like good honest tackles. Missed a few things here and there. Did OK. I was in the East Blacks, so don't know about the penalty, but not too many complaints, so I guess it was a fair award.

BLACKPOOL :

Was quite impressed with them. Jimmy Ryan and Sean Longstaff were excellent in midfield. Ironic that their MOM, Ryan, was the one who had his penalty saved. Delfouneso and D'Almeida were a constant thorn in the first half and Kyle Vassell worked tirelessly upfront.

Such a good team performance makes the ludicrous second goal even more difficult to understand. Bizarre miscommunication.

Overall they deserved a point and, if I'm honest, maybe all three.

OVERALL :

Well, lately we've been unfortunate not to get points from other games, so maybe it's our turn to be fortunate.

Seemed to deteriorate as the game went on. Very similar to Tuesday. I thought we were poor in the second half. Almost running on empty, but I guess with three games in a week and our high intensity performances, something gives.

First half we looked lively. I wish we would pull the trigger more, in and around the box. No-one seems to have the confidence to just take something first time.

Still, 9 points in a week. Who would have thought that a fortnight ago.

Loving the team spirit.

All the players went to Oxley at the final whistle, which probably sums up the performance.

Anyway, onwards! :thumbsup:

Going in blind, so here goes.

RATINGS :

Oxley 9 MOM - That was a pretty complete performance. Two fantastic saves, particularly the one in the first half and, of course, the penalty save at the end. When you think back to the Oxley of a year ago, it's hard to imagine how solid a keeper he looks now. Also got a couple of important punches in and commanded his box well.

Demetriou 6.5 - Not so good today, particularly defensively for me. Not a bad performance, but not up to his usual best.

Timlin 6 - Seemed to be affected by Tuesday night and didn't know whether to stick or twist a lot of the time. Looks a bit shaky there, at the moment. Needs a good game or I think Hendrie will be back in. Especially if he impresses on Tuesday night.

Kyprianou 8 - Really seems to grow game on game. Thought he had another excellent match.

Ferdinand 7 - Seemed much more on it today. Especially in the first half. Still looks a bit out of sorts, though, overall. Definitely a step in the right direction.

Wright 6 - Thought he struggled a bit, today. Maybe 3 games in a week after not playing much before took it's toll, but the game seemed to bypass him a lot.

Worsdworth 6.5 - Did OK and took his goal well, but again, the 3 games might have been a factor in a pretty leggy performance in midfield.

McLaughlin 7 - Had a better game than Tuesday. Very good first half.

Leonard 8 - Top drawer, as always. Thought he bossed our midfield. Some great interceptions and worked tirelessly.

Cox 7.5 - Worked really hard and good to see him get a goal.

Ranger 6 - Seemed to be trying too hard. Nothing seemed to work for him, today. Really lacks a killer instinct in the box, as well.

SUBS :

Fortune 7 - That was a great turn and shot, plus he tried to use the ball intelligently, when he could.

White 7 - As with Tuesday, not really on long enough to make an impact either way.

Robinson 5 :smile: - Saved the best until last. It was comical, sadly. His first six or so touches of the ball were almost park level and the miscommunication with the throw in was, well, what can I say. Did do well to run the ball into the corner, but that was about it. I like him, but he really needs to up his game, for me.

SUBSTITUTIONS :

I think they worked, in a way. I probably wouldn't have taken Cox off, but on the White substitution, I think that was the right call to go 3-5-2.

REFEREE :

Not great, if I'm honest. Booked people for what looked like good honest tackles. Missed a few things here and there. Did OK. I was in the East Blacks, so don't know about the penalty, but not too many complaints, so I guess it was a fair award.

BLACKPOOL :

Was quite impressed with them. Jimmy Ryan and Sean Longstaff were excellent in midfield. Ironic that their MOM, Ryan, was the one who had his penalty saved. Delfouneso and D'Almeida were a constant thorn in the first half and Kyle Vassell worked tirelessly upfront.

Such a good team performance makes the ludicrous second goal even more difficult to understand. Bizarre miscommunication.

Overall they deserved a point and, if I'm honest, maybe all three.

OVERALL :

Well, lately we've been unfortunate not to get points from other games, so maybe it's our turn to be fortunate.

Seemed to deteriorate as the game went on. Very similar to Tuesday. I thought we were poor in the second half. Almost running on empty, but I guess with three games in a week and our high intensity performances, something gives.

First half we looked lively. I wish we would pull the trigger more, in and around the box. No-one seems to have the confidence to just take something first time.

Still, 9 points in a week. Who would have thought that a fortnight ago.

Loving the team spirit.

All the players went to Oxley at the final whistle, which probably sums up the performance.

Anyway, onwards! :thumbsup:

I though Jimmy Ryan took the penalty?

:omg:

You copy & pasted what it said.

No editing from me there! :thumbsup:

I think it is a bit harsh picking out Theo for criticism, I thought for the last ten minutes the whole team (apart from Oxley) was a shambles. So many misplaced passes, conceding of cheap free kicks/corners and clearances that went straight to the opposition.

Robinson just looks clueless. In his brief appearance today - one good run that turned into a bad one; one throw in to him that he wasn't watching.
Well, my perception of that incident was that Robinson moved before Timlin threw the ball in. Given that movement at throw-ins is an area that Blues have long needed to develop I think we should guard against blaming the wrong man.

A thoroughly enjoyable game. Anton I reckon is carrying an injury of sorts. Hopefully a weeks rest will see him in better for Saturday. Kyprianou gets better with every game and has certainly earned his shirt. Interesting to see what happens when everyone is fit. I just wish the team would play to Ranger's strengths. No good keep lumping balls to his head. Play the ball to his feet and he would be far more effective and would utilise his strength much better.

Credit to Blackpool who looked a very useful side. They must wonder how on earth they have nothing to show from the game.

Just as an aside, Vassell took his ribbing from the West in good humour - nice to see an opposition player not reacting badly! No, no, no!!!!

Leonard tired in the last 15 minutes...watch game were you watching, he was everywhere near the end. Serious fitness and made some of our other players look seriously unfit!!

A thoroughly enjoyable game. Anton I reckon is carrying an injury of sorts. Hopefully a weeks rest will see him in better for Saturday. Kyprianou gets better with every game and has certainly earned his shirt. Interesting to see what happens when everyone is fit. I just wish the team would play to Ranger's strengths. No good keep lumping balls to his head. Play the ball to his feet and he would be far more effective and would utilise his strength much better.

Credit to Blackpool who looked a very useful side. They must wonder how on earth they have nothing to show from the game.
If he keeps on getting games and improving we could have 2 Cypriot Internationals at the club.
Talking of internationals I take it Jason Demetriou will miss Doncaster away next week.

Cyprus v Greece in Cyprus next Saturday and Belgium away on Tuesday after that.

Seat of the pants stuff and surely plenty for Brown to think about, but if you're thinking like that a few hours after winning a game after an injury time penalty save you're in the wrong game.

So I'm going to enjoy this for the rest of the weekend and worry about other stuff on Monday.

Timlin needs to stop playing at LB, Hendrie should be playing instead. Anyone with pace leaves him for dead. Happened on Tuesday and today. He's a CM. Robinson didn't do much again, how many minutes without a goal now?

As for the positives, Oxley was incredible and easily MOTM. He seemed incredibly confident in what he was doing. When you consider he had a bereavement this week it is even more incredible. Cox looked good and our midfield controlled the game at times. Oh and we scored from a corner!!

We're unbeaten at home still I think

I am not going to do individual ratings as I thought there were no stand out performances (other than Oxley) and no disasterous performances. I will make a few observations though

-We were very lucky to get the win. We started both halves well but other than those periods, we were dominated for large parts of the game.
- Both centre halves won next to nothing in the air and that caused a lot of problems today as we were constantly having to deal with the second ball. They are both good on the deck but we are desperate for one of our two injured defenders to come back. I wonder if playing three at the back with White in there might be an idea.
- Both strikers didn't hold the ball up well enough and so the ball was constantly coming back to us.

On a more positive note, we have got an incredibly hardworking team who, if we can get the balance right, will have a very good season.

Just back from a week's holiday...seems we won 3 out of 3 whilst I was away...anyone fancy chipping in for me to feck off again?

Oxley 9 MOM - Fantastic, even before the pen he made some very good saves.

Demetriou 7 - Very good. Elvis's cameo's seem to have sparked him to life.
Ferdinand 4 - Woeful, twice in three games he's been at fault from a simple punt forward. Very worrying :sad:
Kyrpianou 7 - Very good again, looks composed on the ball.
Timlin 5 - Started out ok but then resorted to jumping in too early, looks a square peg, but perhaps says something more about Hendrie, PB obviously doesn't trust him right now.

Wright 5 - TBH the game seemed to pass him by. I rarely noticed him, he failed to make any real impact.
Leonard 8 - Best outfield player, covered the defence brilliantly and pulled Timlin out of a hole more than once.
Wordsworth 7 - A typical Wordsworth game, rarely noticed him in general play, but scored and nearly got a second too.
Mclaughlin 6 - Saw plenty of the ball but checked back and played it safe too much for my liking. Still signs that he's improving and getting back towards his best.

Cox 7 - Very impressed by his work rate in the first half and sneaked a goal. Run out of steam though.
Ranger 4 - Had a stinker. Other than winning a couple of headers he was poor. Twice in the first half he gave the ball away needlessly, each time it led directly to a decent Blackpool chance on the counter.

Subs:

White 6 - Shored the defense up.
Fortune 7 - Showed some good skill and made a good chance for himself.
Robinson 5 - Put himself about well, but his touch was woeful and he didn't threaten. Went to sleep completely from a late throw in too.

A big decision's got to be made on Anton soon. If we keep him in the team on today's form, he's going to cost us goals. Can we keep playing him blindly hoping he's going to find some form? I'd play White/Kyrpianou v reading and if they perform please Phil have the balls to drop Anton next week.

Back