• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Post-Match Thread and Ratings Southend United 2-1 Darlington F.A Trophy

Controversial viewpoint alert...

From my view, their guy was miles ONside when the ball was played over the top for their goal. The forward ahead of him was offside, but the scorer ran through and I thought was easily onside. No-one appealed either, until after the goal had been given.
I‘m glad someone else saw what I did! One striker was well offside, our defenders assumed an offside flag was coming and sat still. Their second striker strolled through to score, he may or may not have been offside but it was marginal. I’ve seen one poster say ‘at least 5 yards off side’, sorry but that’s just blinkered.

Might have helped if the lino had been up with play…but he wasn’t….
Agreed, but it still wasn’t as clean cut as many have said. He may well have been offside, but our defence stopping dead assuming made it easy. Still, our response was good and I can’t remember the last time we came from a goal down to win. Got to be good for confidence :Happy:

Played well, should have won by more but thank god for that late goal and no pen shoot out required.

thought Blondie, midfield three, bridge and Cardwell were stand outs today. So thats us still unbeaten in 2023 and can’t wait for a tough but winnable trip to Oldham next week

I‘m glad someone else saw what I did! One striker was well offside, our defenders assumed an offside flag was coming and sat still. Their second striker strolled through to score, he may or may not have been offside but it was marginal. I’ve seen one poster say ‘at least 5 yards off side’, sorry but that’s just blinkered.

The trouble is that they have tinkered around so much with the offside rule and it is applied too inconsistently. It wasn’t perfect when it was largely in an offside position AND interfering with play but it’s a lot better than is his toenail offside.

Take yesterday for example. I watched the whole of that Manc derby in a bar. How that was permitted me still baffles me now. If Rashford had stood completely still it would have been a more clear cut no issue with the goalscorer. Then straight after that I watched the first half of the Brighton game. Liverpool players were being flagged offside under what seems to me like the old rule.

Inconsistent and not helpful for players managers and fans alike.

Stop tinkering and just make a CLEAR rule that everyone can understand

Do you really think teams will take the risk. Yes he’s come back and hit a bit of form but he hasn’t proved he can stay fit yet. I’d genuinely be surprised if we had any bids come in for him this transfer window.
Sustained fitness is obviously a crucial issue, but Harry Cardwell has a lot going for him as a tall striker. He is useful in the air, can clearly finish with either foot, he is highly mobile, and puts opposing defenders under a lot of pressure. Let's face it. There are not too many teams in the lower leagues with strikers that tick all these boxes.

How did the injury occur?
It was one of those moments when you look up and see a player on the floor, but I think he was in a collision with the Darlo keeper. I'm pretty certain no Southend player was involved. No doubt someone will have a clearer view. Now, if they had opened the South Stand, then there would have been sheds full of explanation.

It was one of those moments when you look up and see a player on the floor, but I think he was in a collision with the Darlo keeper. I'm pretty certain no Southend player was involved. No doubt someone will have a clearer view. Now, if they had opened the South Stand, then there would have been sheds full of explanation.

Same for me. There was a ball curled in to the far post but was over hit, may have even been a free kick?. Didn't see anyone go up and clash heads so I assume someone ran into him.

I was leaving the ground as the ambulance arrived and noticed a concerned group around the players entrance. Their body language said it was more serious than a twisted ankle.

Last edited:
First game for me in the East Greens for years. Many years. Man they need more mens toilets!
Darlo were steady without being outstanding and we should have won with greater ease. Bridge makes things happen but could do with a decent pitch to play on. He deserves to be at a higher level.
Cardwell is looking fitter and sharper. Let's hope he can stay that way. Good future with us if he does
Powell needs a confidence boost but, I still believe there is just something that needs to click with him and then he will be a bigger asset than he is now.
All I all it was a welcome win and no one failed to play their part.

Some posters have referenced the Darlo no 9 calling out a fan. He actually called out numerous fans, purely as banter, and had a mile wide grin the whole time. Anyone who took umbridge with him should really think about meditation classes.
I hope Paddy Almond makes a full and swift recovery.
There were several occasions, possible head injuries involved, where the referee asked the players if they wanted the physio on and waved the physio away when they said no. The ref should have brought the physio on each time a head injury was received. Harry Taylor was one who should have been checked out. There were others too . In fact the Darlo physio made a gesture about Almond being wobbly some five minutes before the incident that saw him come off. That is poor. Very poor.

Sad news about Paddy Almond, let's hope he makes a full recovery, though, I wonder if it was anything to do with the previous head injury, which I was unaware of. Players were annoyed with the photographer moving closer to take photos, and rightly, imho, remonstrated with him.

An enjoyable game, especially with lasagne and chips and a bottle of prosecco in hospitality! East stand looked pretty packed, and think they ought to have opened the South as well really. Would have meant the Shrimpers could have been open too!

We thought Powell had a decent game, so surprised at criticism. Not sure people fully appreciate the effect he has on opposition defences. Nearly scored with a header as well!

Cardwell undoubtedly MOTM, delighted to see him scoring a brace.

Blondy - 7, a good game, decisive, varied distribution - spectacular clearance with his head!
Demi - 7, not sure the surface suited him, but he did well
Kensdale - 7.5, pick of the defence for me, goes forward well
Lopata - 7, another silly booking, but otherwise solid
Ralph - 6.5, couple of mistakes, looked better when Hobbo came on at a more defensive LWB than Bridge usually plays
Bridge - 7.5, typical Bridge performance
Taylor - 7.5, copped a few fouls so hope he was ok, got stuck in well
Miley - 7, solid
Husin - 7.5, several surges forward, made a nuisance of himself
Cardwell - 8, MOTM, did everything you want your CF to do
Powell - 7, some energetic runs, quick feet, unlucky not to score

Subs:
Murphy for Powell - 7, good to see him get a bit longer, unlucky not to score, looked to have placed the ball well, but it was just outside
Hobson for Bridge - n/a

Officials were pretty poor, ref looked to have lost control. Maher was doing his usual angry dance on the touchline for most of the game.

Darlington were better than many sides we've seen this season and their fans were a credit to them.

Last edited:
What actually happened was that Almond left the pitch and on at least two occasions was sick. Presumably the cameraman thought this would make a good picture and came up closer to where the stricken player was. Quite rightly in my opinion the goalkeeper felt that this was not the time or place for a photo opportunity and remonstrated with the photographer. I can’t say I saw any fan involvement.
I didn't say there was any fan involvement with regard to Almond and the cameraman. It was as that player was walking back to the half way line that he got aggressive with the fans. Yes the fans had a pop at him but players for the main part ignore fans and just get on with things

Some posters have referenced the Darlo no 9 calling out a fan. He actually called out numerous fans, purely as banter, and had a mile wide grin the whole time.
What actually happened is he did target one particular fan rather aggressively but as soon as he realised his mistake, he started to do it jokingly and smile while doing it, making it look like he was joking all along

What actually happened is he did target one particular fan rather aggressively but as soon as he realised his mistake, he started to do it jokingly and smile while doing it, making it look like he was joking all along
Your interpretation differs to mine. Bigger issues to worry about than that.

Back