• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Post-Match Thread and Ratings Southend United 2-1 Kings Lynn

It’s like watching a completely different team! I know it basically is now but just everything about that team screams confidence. From the Yeovil game to that game it seems there is a good vibe and with added quality.

Cardwell looks up for it, Davies looked decent and Noor even though a short appearance looks a prospect!

Neal once again was absolute quality, as good as Brunt was we really have got the better player for our style.

Atkinson is like the Atkinson of old! Hobson showing his quality and true potential.

Lopata really is class, such a cool head and organisational skills are excellent and he doesn’t stop communicating. Very comfortable with the ball at his feet.

Dennis is brilliant, really does make you wonder if he was struggling with an injury at the start of the season.

Their goal and taking the lead flattered them similar to the Yeovil game. In the first half we did everything but score, we were very unlucky and could’ve been 3-0 up!

The Arnold save from that bullet of a shot from Widdrington (I assume Tommy’s son) was world class. He was in the completely wrong position and the flight of the ball changed and I honestly thought it was in. How the hell he pulled that save off is beyond me. He defied physics!

And as for the penalty, I’m in the South Upper so can’t say whether it was or wasn’t. I couldn’t care less, we got it and we haven’t had any luck with that sort of thing for a long time.

I’m not on the HMS **** the League Boat yet, but we carry on like this I won’t be far off boarding.

Maher, Currie, Bentley, Still, Stan you’re all gods in my eyes.

Few points from last night …

Steve Arnold is way too good for us

Defensively I thought we struggled with Omotayo but mopped up the second ball well.

Midfield were good, stand out for me was Harrison Neal this kid is special and will play at the top level.

Attackers were a nuisance and hard to play against. I just want to say something about Dennis and yes it’s a negative, he is very lazy when off the ball doesn’t make them runs for the likes of Dalby and Cardwell to slip in the side of the defence, but if that’s the only negative I’m more than happy with it.

Let’s keep pushing and get this club up where our amazing fans deserve. UTB

Great atmosphere and after what seems to have been a good Wednesday night meeting, two decent signings and three points it’s been a good week to be a Blues fan.

Solid performances all round.

One stunning save from Arnold who was going the other way and got out a really strong arm. He also kept the ball in play from his kicking.

Hobson continuing the trend of getting forward and showing great skill. From being dodgy in a three he now seems to be benefiting from it.

Thought Lopata actually had his worst game. Looked uncomfortable at times but a real talent nonetheless.

Atkinson has grown into the season.

Dennis’s pace is insane.

New boys all did well.

The crowd were superb and the applause after we went one down shows the mood at the moment.

I know comparisons are being made between KL and where we were playing three years ago, but we are where we are and the only thing we can control is where we are going and it feels we are going up.

You cant beat a Friday night under lights. Especially if you are 1-0 down at h/T but everyone in the ground knows its never going to end that way.

Well done to all the players, staff and the 6,000 who teleported the refs whistle into his mouth and blew it before he could think.

A proper number 9 who had done more in his opening 30mins than some did in all of last season. If Dennis can move half a second earlier on the flicks we really are in business.

There is more to come next week and possibly 2 going out.

Im looking forward to an afternoon in London on Tuesday with the lads. We intend to visit places of historic interest, before boarding a train to that grubby little northern town called Aldershot.

What a shift from the boys todays, who the **** am I watching?

Arnold - 7
Arnold did his part in goal today as he usually does, some very good saves, notably the second half save from their number 10, distribution could be better at times but I don't think that has ever been his strong point. Not sure he could've done much more about their goal.

Davies - 7
A very solid full debut from Davies, I enjoyed watching him, his crossing is VERY good and could do some real damage with Cardwell and Dalby at the other end once all jelled together, some real potential in him and a very good replacement for Demi once his time is done.

Lopata - 7
Solid at the back as usual, the Polish Maldini, enough said.

Atkinson - 8
This man runs for ****ing days, no matter what age he is, he puts everything into his performance for the team and he has definitely earnt himself the rest of the season, I cannot believe he keeps running and running and running...

Ralph - 7
Fits all too well into the left centre back role, he's able to do what he does best on the left as he would when he plays left back but also has a great deal of qualities as a central defender, works so well with Clifford.

Clifford - 7
I just love him, what a player he is, always try to see himself into the box, his defending on the left is impeccable, a few times he seemed to not be able to kick the ball properly today., especially which lead to their goal, but everyone makes mistakes and I think he made up for his mistakes in the rest of the game.

Hobson - 8
**** me Hobson is such a weird player to me, 70% of the game he's insane, the other 30% makes me shiver, his assist was ridiculously good, I'm not sure who's allowing him to go up the field but by all means, carry on ?

Neal - 8
Roy Keane. That's it.

Dennis - 9
HE'S GOD DAMN FAST, it's like we've signed a new loanee which never got announced, being used in the right way, he loves to chase the ball and does so well in doing so, so many goals can come out of him.

Cardwell - 8
Haven't seen a better debut in a while, he's fast, he's tall and he's an extremely good looking guy, even after 90 minutes. So much potential in him, what a signing.

Dalby - 7
So I thought Dalby was quite poor in parts today, seems to have lost himself a bit recently but I'm hoping the penalty restores some confidence in himself and kicks on back to how he was, and with this team around him, I think he can be very good.

Subs:

Husin - N/A

Not going to lie, I was too busy ****ting myself to remember or focus on any players.

Ferguson - N/A
There was a very big cheer for his name that surprised me! Thought a lot didn't like him, but again was too busy ****ting myself to remember.. ?
Sorry but I have to take issue with the comment on Arnold’s distribution. every game he is looking for the quick ball out and has a terrific low trajectory kick. It adds a whole new dimension to our play now we have Dennis and turns defence into attack in an instant.
We scored from it last week and it was effective again last night

Last edited:
Sorry but I have to take issue with the comment on Arnold’s distribution. every game he is looking for the quick ball out and has a terrific low trajectory kick. It adds a whole new dimension to our play now we have Dennis and turns defence on not attack in an instant.
Agree 100%. His distribution is excellent, particularly for the link up to Dennis.

Also we were sat right behind that second half save from Widdringtons shot. Top, top save that.
The ball was moving around massively, at the last minute it was really going away to Arnold’s left, somehow he got a strong hand to it with the ball falling to our defenders who cleared. Brilliant save.

Thought everyone had a good game. How we didn't score several goals in the first half I don't know. Hopefully the positioning/service/gelling/luck changes as we won't get away with wasting so much good possession against better teams.

Not sure how the KL player didn't get booked for throwing Dennis's shin pads(?) into the east stand, could've caused an injury to an spectator.

And how come their new signing Phipps had a different colour number on his shirt? I know he scored but he looked very uncomfortable defending.

Sorry but I have to take issue with the comment on Arnold’s distribution. every game he is looking for the quick ball out and has a terrific low trajectory kick. It adds a whole new dimension to our play now we have Dennis and turns defence on not attack in an instant.
Last night I watched the whole keeper warm up routine from close range. This was practiced before the game as it is in training with reece. The old addage.....' The more I practice the luckier I get', is very true !
He trains more for either the quick lengthy throw or the driven kick. Very dependent on awareness and movement of our forwards but with Caldwell and Dennis this is a potent tool

Last edited:
View attachment 18498
Haha. I put this bet on for laugh before the yeovil game. I had look at the fixtures and was thinking their pretty kind fixtures to be honest. if sufc could win 5 straight games, you never know what could happen.
You can get 7/2 with Victor Chandler for the Blues to finish in the top 12. Only 6 points off it at the moment. Decent bet that.

Last night I watched the while keeper warm up routine from close range. This was practiced before the game as it is in training with reece. The old addage.....' The more I practice the luckier I get', is very true !
He trains more for either the quick lengthy throw or the driven kick. Very dependent on awareness and movement of our forwards but with Caldwell and Dennis this is a potent tool
I mainly watched the warm up for the outfield players. Split into 3 teams, defenders, midfielders, forwards in the passing drill. Each team getting a go at pressing another team while one lot of them would be an outlet on the edge of the designated area.

As soon as the ball is turned over during the drill, there is a 'transition' stage where those who lost possession move to the outside of the drill area and another team engages and moves inside.

It was like a mini sim of actual games and it's great for game prep and also training cues to press/drop etc.

Last night I watched the while keeper warm up routine from close range. This was practiced before the game as it is in training with reece. The old addage.....' The more I practice the luckier I get', is very true !

I’ve absolutely no idea how Arnold has ended up in the National League. He’s far better than most in the league above and even the one above that in my opinion.

I’ve absolutely no idea how Arnold has ended up in the National League. He’s far better than most in the league above and even the one above that in my opinion.

Agreed - and you could say the same about Davies based on last night. With budgets being cut across the board, there are a lot of players caught out without contracts that will slip out of the EFL. Am sure the Football Department is on the case!!!

Great atmosphere and after what seems to have been a good Wednesday night meeting, two decent signings and three points it’s been a good week to be a Blues fan.

Solid performances all round.

One stunning save from Arnold who was going the other way and got out a really strong arm. He also kept the ball in play from his kicking.

Hobson continuing the trend of getting forward and showing great skill. From being dodgy in a three he now seems to be benefiting from it.

Thought Lopata actually had his worst game. Looked uncomfortable at times but a real talent nonetheless.

Atkinson has grown into the season.

Dennis’s pace is insane.

New boys all did well.

The crowd were superb and the applause after we went one down shows the mood at the moment.

I know comparisons are being made between KL and where we were playing three years ago, but we are where we are and the only thing we can control is where we are going and it feels we are going up.
Pretty much word for word what I was going to put. Totally agree.

A few other points to note -

We are now 10 points clear of the drop zone and 14 off the play offs. If we win the next 2 at Aldershot and Dover, we will be nearer the play offs than the drop zone with just under half the season left. That's a bonkers thing to even contemplate now given where we were just a month ago.

When was the last time we scored an injury time winner? To save you all racking your brains, it was Elvis's 96 minute winner v Lincoln in that wretched cancelled out season. Prior to that, someone please check and let me know as I genuinely can't remember one. And that was a trait of the previously successful Southend sides... we kept going, never gave up, scored a lot of late goals.

When was the last time we won 3 league games on the spin? It happened twice in the season of Brown and Powell, the last one being when we beat MK Dons at home and then Oldham and Bradford away. Again, if we win the next 2 it will be 5 on the spin... but let's not get ahead of ourselves.

It has been said by me and many others so many times, but this club does not deserve the support it has. As the club has declined, it's like the fans have doubled down on their efforts to do their bit and get the club out of the mess it was in. The atmosphere last night hasn't been like that for years. Even the Sunderland end of season match didn't have the energy that we witnessed yesterday. And the home section was only 2/3rds full... it seems so long since we had the Hall rocking... can you imagine the noise and atmosphere (as opposed to nervous expectant energy and then relief) when we really get going?

We are on the right lines now. The recruitment policy has changed and we are now bringing in the right players. The finances are still fragile and all it will need will be some bad weather to postpone the 2 early February home matches, the cash flow is buggered again and we will be back under an embargo. But you can see see the confidence coming back, the fitness is improving, and as I said after the Woking match, the team needs a new team.

We've got it; on and off the pitch.

National League look out. We're on the way back. Not there yet, but getting there.

And check this out... I want us to be the girl in the red. Watch to the end.

Last edited:
Back