• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Post-Match Thread and Ratings Southend United 2-1 Kings Lynn

Pretty much word for word what I was going to put. Totally agree.

A few other points to note -

We are now 10 points clear of the drop zone and 14 off the play offs. If we win the next 2 at Aldershot and Dover, we will be nearer the play offs than the drop zone with just under half the season left. That's a bonkers thing to even contemplate now given where we were just a month ago.

When was the last time we scored an injury time winner? To save you all racking your brains, it was Elvis's 96 minute winner v Lincoln in that wretched cancelled out season. Prior to that, someone please check and let me know as I genuinely can't remember one. And that was a trait of the previously successful Southend sides... we kept going, never gave up, scored a lot of late goals.

When was the last time we won 3 league games on the spin? It happened twice in the season of Brown and Powell, the last one being when we beat MK Dons at home and then Oldham and Bradford away. Again, if we win the next 2 it will be 5 on the spin... but let's not get ahead of ourselves.

It has been said by me and many others so many times, but this club does not deserve the support it has. As the club has declined, it's like the fans have doubled down on their efforts to do their bit and get the club out of the mess it was in. The atmosphere last night hasn't been like that for years. Even the Sunderland end of season match didn't have the energy that we witnessed yesterday. And the home section was only 2/3rds full... it seems so long since we had the Hall rocking... can you imagine the noise and atmosphere (as opposed to nervous expectant energy and then relief) when we really get going?

We are on the right lines now. The recruitment policy has changed and we are now bringing in the right players. The finances are still fragile and all it will need will be some bad weather to postpone the 2 early February home matches, the cash flow is buggered again and we will be back under an embargo. But you can see see the confidence coming back, the fitness is improving, and as I said after the Woking match, the team needs a new team.

We've got it; on and off the pitch.

National League look out. We're on the way back. Not there yet, but getting there.

And check this out... I want us to be the girl in the red. Watch to the end.

Pigots
Pretty much word for word what I was going to put. Totally agree.

A few other points to note -

We are now 10 points clear of the drop zone and 14 off the play offs. If we win the next 2 at Aldershot and Dover, we will be nearer the play offs than the drop zone with just under half the season left. That's a bonkers thing to even contemplate now given where we were just a month ago.

When was the last time we scored an injury time winner? To save you all racking your brains, it was Elvis's 96 minute winner v Lincoln in that wretched cancelled out season. Prior to that, someone please check and let me know as I genuinely can't remember one. And that was a trait of the previously successful Southend sides... we kept going, never gave up, scored a lot of late goals.

When was the last time we won 3 league games on the spin? It happened twice in the season of Brown and Powell, the last one being when we beat MK Dons at home and then Oldham and Bradford away. Again, if we win the next 2 it will be 5 on the spin... but let's not get ahead of ourselves.

It has been said by me and many others so many times, but this club does not deserve the support it has. As the club has declined, it's like the fans have doubled down on their efforts to do their bit and get the club out of the mess it was in. The atmosphere last night hasn't been like that for years. Even the Sunderland end of season match didn't have the energy that we witnessed yesterday. And the home section was only 2/3rds full... it seems so long since we had the Hall rocking... can you imagine the noise and atmosphere (as opposed to nervous expectant energy and then relief) when we really get going?

We are on the right lines now. The recruitment policy has changed and we are now bringing in the right players. The finances are still fragile and all it will need will be some bad weather to postpone the 2 early February home matches, the cash flow is buggered again and we will be back under an embargo. But you can see see the confidence coming back, the fitness is improving, and as I said after the Woking match, the team needs a new team.

We've got it; on and off the pitch.

National League look out. We're on the way back. Not there yet, but getting there.

And check this out... I want us to be the girl in the red. Watch to the end.

The 'Pigs' goal at Wembley was fairly late but i guess that wasnt a winner. Although...

So how about Stuart Parkers last gasp winner (2 - 1) against Cardiff City back on 24th January 1976. I remember Dave Worthington jumping over the wall into the west stand to celebrate...

I may have missed one or two injury time winners inbetween...

When was the last time we scored an injury time winner?
I reckon Dalby's winner could be as pivotal as the winner at home to Rochdale in January 2017. That late Cox goal really helped us build up the momentum in those heady days of a top 7 finish in League One.
The achievement from the past three league games could be critical to earning a comfortable mid-table position, and from there the roots of a promotion challenging side for next season.

Pigots

The 'Pigs' goal at Wembley was fairly late but i guess that wasnt a winner. Although...

So how about Stuart Parkers last gasp winner (2 - 1) against Cardiff City back on 24th January 1976. I remember Dave Worthington jumping over the wall into the west stand to celebrate...

I may have missed one or two injury time winners inbetween...
also the late winner against Sunderland to save us fro relegation last match of the season.

The presence of over six thousand baying maniacs must have made it easier for the ref to award the penalty. Not for the first time this season (and I am sure not the last) a big shout out to the support. It can matter and did last night!
The pandemic played a bigger role in our relegation last season than some folk think. I'm sure if we had our fans in Roots Hall we would have gained those four extra points we needed.

All water under the bridge now but the tremendous support helped the lads keep their heads up despite going a goal behind to the Linnets. So different from last season's response to going behind in a game.....

Tommy Widdrington's assessment of the penalty decision, his red card and the game. Says our front 3 took the game to Kings Lynn, and that Kev knows what he's doing. He says the penalty was one of the best tackles he's seen this season. He lives down this way since he was assistant to Luggy. Actually supports us and goes when he can to Roots Hall, with us being his local team, he said in an interview this week.

Poor old Tommy....All he did was throw something at the fourth official.

What s**** little club KL are. I wanted show respect to clubs like KL but they just can't behave in return. From the Costa del Sol chairman, miserable pub landlords, special need stewards, dumb police and their idiot fans. Not just at their place but in the east stand on Friday....Slide back down to where you belong.

What s**** little club KL are. I wanted show respect to clubs like KL but they just can't behave in return. From the Costa del Sol chairman, miserable pub landlords, special need stewards, dumb police and their idiot fans. Not just at their place but in the east stand on Friday....Slide back down to where you belong.
I have to say there was a big group of their fans in the Shrimpers, all Stone Islanded up and stuff, but they were fine.

I agree! The trip up their way was tinpot. Not to mention their 6 fingered contingent of yoof throwing all sorts at us during the game trying to kick stuff off.

Pubs were shocking as well, not hospitable at all for the Southend fans coming up. Went to a pub after the game for a celebratory pint stood at the bar for 30-40mins waiting to get served basically got ignored.

S*** club s*** town enough said!

I agree! The trip up their way was tinpot. Not to mention their 6 fingered contingent of yoof throwing all sorts at us during the game trying to kick stuff off.

Pubs were shocking as well, not hospitable at all for the Southend fans coming up. Went to a pub after the game for a celebratory pint stood at the bar for 30-40mins waiting to get served basically got ignored.

Country bumpkins.

The stewards said there was nothing they could do. The same stewards who tried to force us all in one corner when there was plenty of room under cover before KO when the rain started.

A group of us over 50's were ordering food about 90 mins after the game in a pub around their town square. The very same beer throwing, fenland dwelling simpletons half our age decided they would sneak in small groups and were planning an attack.....We left sharpish and headed for an earlier train.

Some of them had seats in directors box on Friday and were gobbing off after the pen.

The stewards said there was nothing they could do. The same stewards who tried to force us all in one corner when there was plenty of room under cover before KO when the rain started.

A group of us over 50's were ordering food about 90 mins after the game in a pub around their town square. The very same beer throwing, fenland dwelling simpletons half our age decided they would sneak in small groups and were planning an attack.....We left sharpish and headed for an earlier train.

Some of them had seats in directors box on Friday and were gobbing off after the pen.
How did they get seats in the directors box?

How did they get seats in the directors box?
They were sitting in the second row behind the KL directors. Could have been comps from Mr Costa del Sol or players etc.

Nothing to stop anyone booking a slot in the Captains bar and getting seats. I had two Yeovil lads next to me last time. had a great chat with them. They were big fans of Murphy and stood to applaud him off when he was injured.

In the past I have given up my seat after it was double booked. They were a group of away fans on a meal deal so didn't want to spoil someones day by making him sit on his own.

There is always a time and a place but some people never know how to behave.

The idea that they’re “Stan’s players” is wrong. Kev knows what he has in front of him and is making those decisions based on facts. The likes of Stan, Still, Benno, Currie and their various scouts are merely providing Kev with a list of players for Kev to choose from based on who he feels would fit best into his system.

Stan made this very clear the other night that Kev is given all of the required information but it’s his decision as to who we actually persue.

On the subject of Walsh, I think he has a lot to offer the team. He was one of the bright sparks during the Brown days and I think he will only improve as the team, as a whole, improve.
I agree with those thoughts on Walsh. Brown seemed to like using wingers as wing backs. That is a position he can't play at the moment. With wing backs, genuine wingers aren't needed. However, he has pace without doubt, but should be able to cover for Dennis. We will see, Kevin and Co, know what they are doing.

I did wonder why Walsh wasn’t on the bench, from what I’ve seen he appears like an ideal impact sub. Hopefully he’s fully fit soon.
He offers something going forward but without the ball, let’s just hope he’s work in progress…
Would have been good to have the option and Dennis will go at end of season and a front four of Cardwell, Dalby, Murphy and Sim would be pretty potent. It would probably see the end of Rush

If we’re considering 3-4-3 as a regular option we’re going to need more than 4 forwards though.

I think the refereeing in the NL has been appalling BUT after watching the slo mo of this incident

THE REF WAS RIGHT

the defender makes contact with Daly before he touches the ball ...

deffo pen

it happens very quickly but the defenders first illegal contact with Dalby is before he plays the ball ..

THE REF WAS RIGHT

BTW the biggest improvement to the team was having 11 platers on the pitch
rather than 10 players and Murphy

Back