• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Another diabolical inconsistant referee,but a game we should have been 3 up by half time.2nd half we appeared to have thrown it away until that superb Cox goal.Credit to the team to keep playing passing football to the end.Special mention to Ted...kept us in the game and is really looking the regular choice now.

Cox and Fortune my joint mom.

Great ovation for Marc.

sidenote...when Cokes pinged it for the winner...Phil was pointing to Ferdy..meaning Cokes should have squared to Ferdy!

Fair game.

Are you sure mrs. I mean ones overweight and shot shy, the other is an old has been on one last pay day.

Jokes aside al credit to the lads, we all love a late winner. Especially after games like Swindon and Charlton when your thinking here we go again, we should have won this already, thrown another 2 points away etc.

Good to see the West Side bouncing up and down at the end.

Brilliant ending on a very frustrating afternoon. Both teams had slow starts but we grew into it and had quite a few chances. Should have been out of sight by half-time and as has become normal we let it go a bit second half. We looked tired later on and think their three changes against our zero made an impact. Well played to Cox to take his goal superbly well.

Referee was absolutely diabolical, Lund's last foul is a yellow for handball if not persistent fouling and if it's a foul it's a second yellow, felt their red was harsh but reasonable, they'd argue that Fortune was going away from goal, and they were always going to try to get him sent off, he was foolish but gave the ref the opportunity and he was gagging to even it up. His first yellow was a great tackle and never a yellow until they all surrounded the ref.

Smith 7 Some good saves especially late on.
Demetriou 7 Got forward well late on and got better and better defensively.
Thompson 7 Dealt well with their physical forwards.
Ferdinand 8 Superb reading of the game and brilliant bringing the ball forward later on.
Timlin 7 Sloppy in possession at times but was better second half.
Atkinson 6 Should have scored and didn't create much, looked tired.
Leonard 8 The engine of the team, got back and forward, at the centre of everything.
Wordsworth 7 Did well with added defensive duties and tried to get forward.
McGlashan 7 Played well but his second yellow was foolish.
Fortune 7 Frustrating, works hard and makes great runs but takes too many touches at times and finishing let him down late on and he tired early.
Cox 8 Superb finish and a constant thorn in their side.

Subs
Coker 6 Looked a little rusty as would be expected.
Hines 6 Didn't use his pace against tired legs but did try to get the ball in the box.

Cant criticise Brown too much as the only negative was really that he could have made a sub earlier on, and we deserved the win for our brilliant first half. Never would have guessed that it was a game between two play-off chasing sides but we did what we had to do to get the points.

Discussion point - I don't think deliberate handball is an automatic yellow card offence per se - interesting article here.

http://www.sportskeeda.com/football...l-rule-what-is-deliberate-offense-what-is-not

No doubt Mick can give some guidance?

A well deserved victory today. Forget the fact that Rochdale had a few chances after their fortunate equaliser, until then we should have been two or three ahead with chances and unlucky ball drop, and quite how they kept Lund on the pitch is still annoying me even after the result. Utterly inconsistent refereeing all game.

The sending off of their player was not contentious in my opinion. He was denied a goal scoring opportunity. McGlashan can feel very hard done by. He did a quarter of what Lund did, including an amazing tackle which because it was at pace was deemed to be dangerous. Utterly awful decision after Rochdale reactions.

My man of the match was Leonard. Absolutely critical to the success of this team, and no doubt Keith Hill thought so too given Leonard was picked out for violent treatment throughout game.

Smith - 8 - Kept us in it, and nothing he could do about that cruel deflection
Demetriou - 7 - never looks fully commanding at back but his attacking threat was good today
Thomson - 7 - Solid without being spectacular as in recent weeks
Ferdinand - 8 - A bit better than last week and moments of calmness which helped defence today
Timlin - 8 - Attacked with purpose today and his quality was noticed when moving to centre of midfield
Leonard - 9 - Complete performance with plenty of hard tackles coming in. Great run in second half
Wordsworth - 6 - Not his usual influential self and some gaps in midfield today
McGlashan - 6 - His work rate won the goal and harsh to be sent off but no doubt he gave ref the choice through crass stupidity
Cox - 9 - Excellent today in his control, industry and brain. A great one two and finish right when it mattered sending us into delirium
Atkinson - 7 - Worked hard, won balls in crucial places and missed a sitter.
Fortune - 7 - Some nice flicks and influence but needs to be a bit quicker up top and work on finishing on matchdays. Took goal well though although we would have been nailing him if he hadnt

Coker - A bit rusty but glad to see him back marauding down the left
Hines - Liked his directness and I think the sub changed the game at that late point

Ref - Shambolic. Inconsistent, loss of control, bad decisions.

Our bench looks very light. Main reason I think we might not be able to see this through this season. Much will depend on what Brown can do in Window.

So much of what I saw has already been posted so I don't intend to post too much. Cox and Fortune were absolutely class today, a goal apiece and we go home v happy. I do think we started with the 2-4 defeat still in our minds as we were hesitant for the first 15 mins, but gradually we recovered our rhythm and composure. I was accompanied by my daughter's partner today (a Birmingham regular) and he was commenting on how good Fortune's technique is. I mentioned that if only he could score more he could still be playing Championship stuff. Cue Fortune scoring. Shows what I know. Cox's goal was different class and worthy of his 100th. Thank you Rochdale for contributing to a very entertaining game and not laying down after your sending off. you should have had at least one more go, but the referee lost the plot when red cards were concerned after the first. It's been a long time since I've heard the whole ground giving it the 'You don't know what you're doing' chorus very loudly. Enough, great result which sets us up nicely for Bolton. I feel confident and daughter's partner wants to come again next time they are down with us.

Possibly not but the ref went for his cards then when he saw it was Lund he put his cards back in his pocket.. That is totally unacceptable

He went for his cards and then chatted to the assistant, having been made fully aware that Dale were about to sub him. The ref already felt it was a booking but let the situation and assistant change his mind. Not sure if I am being honest if it was a yellow, but Lund was much more fortunate that the referee let some horrible tackles go before while booking others for similar. He lost the plot and never really got it back all game.

One negative is that Wordsworth went missing badly in the second half. Several of the Rochdale breaks he was trotting back with little effort. I assume this was noted by Brown as he correctly subbed him, not that the Brown haters will give him any credit for that.

Going to write this blind.

Well, what a match. Had pretty much everything. One of the best games of the season.

RATINGS :

Smith 8 - Solid performance. Got a really crucial punch in towards the end of the first half. Stood up to everything he had to deal with.

Demetriou 8.5 - Had a really good match. A real threat going forward.

Ferdinand 8 - Commanding as ever.

Thompson 8 - Nothing really to fault with his day, either. Both he and Ferdy dealt with the threat of Calvin Andrew pretty well.

Timlin 8.5 - Thought he had a really good game. Dealt with most things and had to handle Andrew for quite a bit, as well.

Atkinson 7.5 - Worked hard, as always. Good all-round effort, but didn't quite have that spark of late, at times.

Leonard 8.5 - Back to his best. Covering the defence well, when he needed to, but used the ball a bit better today.

Wordsworth 6.5 - Seems to have lost that dominance he had when he was scoring goals and visibly struggled, before being rightly switched.

McGlashan 6.5 - Was slowly coming into the game when he was wrongly yellow carded for the first offence and was silly to pull the fella back when the referee was giving out cards like it was Christmas.

Fortune 9 - Superb performance. Had everything and a well taken goal.

Cox 9.5 MOM - Jeez, how lucky are we to have a player of this quality. I mean, seriously. Playing lately like Freddy in his prime. Superb winning goal after one of the best moves of the season.

SUBS :

Coker 6.5 - Finding his feet, but did well for the goal.

Hines 7 - Flashes of what he can do. Caused problems down the right. Just a couple of touches too many, from time to time.

ROCHDALE :

We nullified Matty Lund, who then had to be susbstituted. Callum Camps pulled the strings and they were definitely a threat running with the ball, going forward. The keeper is a lump, though. You can see why they are near the top. Hard working, pressing game, but they didn't overly impress me, to be honest.

OVERALL :

How good was that feeling at the end and what a terrific goal, too. We so often would end up drawing that game or even conceding a late winner, but there is real belief here now. That was a particularly pleasing win, because after the week we've had, it could so easily have deflated the side. Not a bit of it, though. A real gutsy performance.

Three huge games coming up now and if, after that, we are still on the edge of the play-offs, then the final six home games are all winnable.

Who knows!

The handball as an isolated incident was not a booking however given the fouls both before and after half time (one of which was a short pull) I'd suggest that an accumulation of offences should have led to a second yellow card.

He went for his cards and then chatted to the assistant, having been made fully aware that Dale were about to sub him. The ref already felt it was a booking but let the situation and assistant change his mind. Not sure if I am being honest if it was a yellow, but Lund was much more fortunate that the referee let some horrible tackles go before while booking others for similar. He lost the plot and never really got it back all game.

Which will all make MCGlashan wonder why he wasn't referring on a recreation ground somewhere.

On Cox's goal and great finish it's worth re bearing it was with his left foot. Like most great goalscorer she can finish with whichever foot the chance falls to. He strikes me as a player who has to be playing every week- been in and out of sides in the Prem/Champ I can imagine not working. The more he has played the better he gas got.

Wasn't there today.....was sat in the the local pub saying " it's been a while since we got a last minute winner/penalty"....step up to the plate Mr Cox :Worthy:

My two-penneth of observations from the game today:

- 100% enjoyment even before the winner went in
- both sending-offs were fair, Lund looked as tho he expected to be sent off. Ref was poor, lino on the east side was equally naff
- Fortune is great, but for 60 mins only, should've been subbed before he was, highlights our need for another striker (or two)
- Jason D my MOM, 100% energy going forward and tracking back
- Woody looked shot to bits early on, needs a rest
- Do not need another midfielder, solution is to have three from Timlin, Woody, Lenny and Atko and have the other as sub when one tires. Have O'Neill too don't forget
- Five mins before Woody came off I shouted to Brown from my seat behind him to take Woody off, put Cokes on and switch Timlin to mid. I am one of the 137.
- Their keeper is a bit lardy
- Like their kit tho
- Great surge forward by Ferdy which led to the winner
- Forgot my age when Cox scored
- What a great advert for football
- Sold a couple of books to Dale fans so their journey home will be fine
- Bring on Bolton

UTB

Went nuts when cox scored - can't beat a 93rd minute winner- thoroughly deserved and ref was pants!!

Another game of next goal wins. If you need reminding its well worth looking at the match thread and read the posts during the second half. I got nervous reading them and I know the score.

What an entertaining game, even if it was incredibly frustrating at times. I don't understand a few things, why was Brown so long in putting Hines on for a clearly knackered Fortune, why was Woody our "last man" on a couple of occasions, why did the ref basically allow Rochdale to substitute a player who should have been sent off and why did I not recognise Sammy???!!! I have been tipped off as to who next week's visitor is though and he's a popular one :winking:

Smith - 7.5, so, so unlucky with the massive deflection off Ferdinand's head for their goal, otherwise did everything well
Demetriou - 8, been critical of him of late, and rightly so, but was miles better today
Thompson - 7, solid
Ferdinand - 7, solid
Timlin - 7.5 overall, wasn't surprised to see him brought into midfield as we were missing some bite
Leonard - 8, cruelly targeted, lots of energy and some good forward play
Wordsworth - 7, I don't want to see our most creative player as last man, WTF was that all about??? Unlucky not to score from the free kick
Atkinson - 7, things didn't work for him but he kept momentum going
McGlashan - 7, unlucky, 1st yellow was harsh 2nd was avoidable, Rochdale struggled early on to cope with our pace and I do think we'd have got a hatful of goals if he'd not gone off
Cox - 8, ton up! You have to love a guy who scores an injury time winner, he really worked his arse off
Fortune - 8.5, my MOTM, he was into everything and was a real pain for them, plus took his goal really well

Subs:
Coker for Wordsworth - 7.5, nice to see him back and he did ok
Hines for Fortune - not on long enough

Officials:
Well, what can you say, the ref lost it. Awful.

Last edited:
Just saw on the BBC website we had 20 shots on goal, Dale had 18 and both teams had 8 on target. To be honest I thought they bossed the second half and I would have been happy with a point.

Great result, we made a slow start (again) but after the first 10 mins we dominated and should have been at least two up by half time. McGlashen's second yellow looked harsh, but he was a silly boy to give the ref the opportunity to level things up.

Second half at times we we looked tired, we definitely need a couple of new signings to freshen up the squad, especially now we've lost Ranger :angry:.

I liked the look of the Cox/Fortune partnership, they were unplayable at times in the first half. Fantastic goal from Cox too, what a great finish! :Worthy: A new striker as back up is imperative now though, let's hope Brown is more successful in this transfer window than he was in the summer.

I'm not going to do ratings other than to say Ted was good again, Demetriou was hugely improved, and Wordsworth had an off day (still nearly got a goal though). My only criticism today was that PB should IMO have made both subs 10 mins earlier, although Rochdale's goal was lucky they were starting to get the upper hand and we were looking tired.

Anyway, who needs Ranger! Up the Blues :loyalsupporter:

Back