• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Great result, we made a slow start (again) but after the first 10 mins we dominated and should have been at least two up by half time. McGlashen's second yellow looked harsh, but he was a silly boy to give the ref the opportunity to level things up.

Second half at times we we looked tired, we definitely need a couple of new signings to freshen up the squad, especially now we've lost Ranger :angry:.

I liked the look of the Cox/Fortune partnership, they were unplayable at times in the first half. Fantastic goal from Cox too, what a great finish! :Worthy: A new striker as back up is imperative now though, let's hope Brown is more successful in this transfer window than he was in the summer.

I'm not going to do ratings other than to say Ted was good again, Demetriou was hugely improved, and Wordsworth had an off day (still nearly got a goal though). My only criticism today was that PB should IMO have made both subs 10 mins earlier, although Rochdale's goal was lucky they were starting to get the upper hand and we were looking tired.

Anyway, who needs Ranger! Up the Blues :loyalsupporter:

Yes, who wants to watch rubbish like Ferdinand, Cox, Fortune, and Demetriou. Even if Ranger never plays again he has still been good for the club.

Indeed, I thought the summer signings have been a huge improvement on the previous season.

Even the likes of Oxley, who had a shaky start, have proved a good move for us.

Never mind "who needs Ranger". How about, who needs Bentley and Payne!

Yes, who wants to watch rubbish like Ferdinand, Cox, Fortune, and Demetriou. Even if Ranger never plays again he has still been good for the club.

TBF you've got a point, though Fortune was signed after the transfer window:raspberry:. Perhaps I was being harsh on PB, he's certainly turned things round, I have to admit I got it wrong in wanting him out earlier in the season.

On Cox's goal and great finish it's worth re bearing it was with his left foot. Like most great goalscorer she can finish with whichever foot the chance falls to. He strikes me as a player who has to be playing every week- been in and out of sides in the Prem/Champ I can imagine not working. The more he has played the better he gas got.

Agree with this. He has got better and better almost every game. Almost unrecognisable performance from the start of the season. Scout from Ireland come to watch him today. Wonder if he stayed till the end?

Let's hope Southend can discipline Nile Ranger without sacking him. He seems to have come to the club with a lot of baggage, and despite trying cannot quite become a dedicated professional footballer yet. That does not mean he will never do so, but Phil Brown and Ron Martin cannot baby him for too long. It would be good if Ranger conducts himself in an absolutely honest fashion with the club and shows his determination, if required, to make amends.

After what's been a pretty depressing week, with the whole Nile Ranger business it's a huge relief to come away from today's game with the 3 points. I reckon Coxy's last minute winner will prove critical at the end of the season and gives the team the confidence needed going into the Bolton game next weekend and some tough games in the next few weeks.

Bloody cold day, forgot my gloves! :'( Altough did manage to get to the ground early for a change - good to see a decent turnout in all stands again supporting the blues. Notice the West is getting rather tatty!

It took a while for us to get into our rhythm, but once we did the pace of McGlashen, Cox and skills of Fortune caused panic in their defence, who I thought looked slow and flat footed. Very well taken goal by Fortune after McGlashen's pace forced an error by Keane. Keane was again caught out, this time bringing down Fortune to which he was deservedly red carded. The bar then denied Wordsworth from a decent strike, and at that point we took charge creating further chances until McG was harshly dismissed, presumably due to the abysmal referee panicking after pressure from the Rochdale players... Still at 10 v 10 thought we well deserved the H/T lead, should have been 2-0 or more really. Also mention their keeper, reminded me of a mature Neville Southall in stature, midway through the 1st he got carded, then seemed to start leaving the pitch, came back with the ball to the chorus of "You fat b*****d !" which made me laugh, not heard that one for a while! Second half, not sure what happened - we seemed to get deeper as the half went on, they pressed, we sat back.., we gave them more and more space on the ball and inevitably we were punished, albeit with a lucky deflected punt. From that point we just let them push the ball around and we're it not for at least 2 excellent blocks by Ted and Jamie Allen(?) skying one inside the 6 yd box we could have gone behind. Finally changes brought a late surge, Coker and Hines on and we started pushing forward again, and just as I thought that was it; Coker threads one for Cox and Atko to link up and Cox blasts the ball in from the left! BOOM!!! Yeeeesss!!! 2-1 !

Frustrating game, should have won this comfortably but for a total f'up of a ref, he lost the game early on and nearly cost us a crucial win.

Quick rundown on the team;
9's - Fortune (great skills, Rochdale defence couldn't handle him), Cox (Makes things happen, was everywhere today, great runs from deep, great goal, could have had more - we seem to have a goal scorer now!! )
8's - Ted (solid, good blocks late on, could do nothing about their goal), Lenny (Did what Lenny always does, up and down - best performance of late), Thompson (Solid performance, some good aerial clearances)
7.5's - Timlin (Got stuck in but dropped off in the 2nd until moving into natural CMF, some decent tackles, and interceptions)
7's - Demitriou (vast improvement of late, got forward well, defensively still vulnerable) Ferdinand - (Decent performance, but looked a little tired towards the end of the 2nd), Atkinson (Looked rather laboured today, drifted in and out, but good work for Coxy's late goal)
6's - McGlashen (caused Rochdale problems with his pace, but didn't last long enough to get a higher score), Wordsworth (Unlucky with the freekick, didn't look comfortable today sitting deep)

Subs - Coker (Great to see him back), Hines (The lad's got mad skillz! Expect good things, needs to work on delivery)

MotM - Fortune - Caused chaos in the Rochdale defence, sublime skills, and he's an old dude too!

So, happy with the points - but only just... Bring on Bolton! :smile: Really wasn't overly impressed by 'dale, if we can bring in a decent forward (especially with doubts on Ranger and McG banned for a match we are starting to look a bit thin on the attacking options) and also defensive cover we can get playoffs at the least.

Last edited:
I thought Timlin was poor in the first half. Continually passing it to the opposition and often out of position, glad Coker is back to take the LB spot back. He improved in he second half though. I thought that really, Ted was the MotM. He kept us in with a number of incredible saves. Cox was superb again and links really well with MaF. I was disappointed in Wordsworth and McGlashan today. Wordsworth seemed a step below what he is usually like. McGlashan should not have been sent off for those two yellows but he should have known better. He didn't need to tempt the ref when Rochdale were begging. He should have been given a warning like Lund was, many times, before going. Glad we won though for a change and had a bit of "justice"

This is what Rochdale supporters thought. What you see is what you see at a match, but this particular comment on the Southend team makes Cox's goal even sweeter.

'Southend are just like Phil Brown, aggressive, angry, dirty and in your face. The play acting was very poor and when He jumped on the pitch at the end it just optimised how they are as a club.'

http://www.fansnetwork.co.uk/members/rochdale/forum/187573/page:3#.WHsJueRvjIU

This is what Rochdale supporters thought. What you see is what you see at a match, but this particular comment on the Southend team makes Cox's goal even sweeter.

'Southend are just like Phil Brown, aggressive, angry, dirty and in your face. The play acting was very poor and when He jumped on the pitch at the end it just optimised how they are as a club.'

Quote: 'Henderson was very clever for McGlashens second yellow card'

Bloody northern monkeys

Not bitter at all then.

Fortune and Cox were both sublime for an hour,they both had an outstanding game,and both deserved their goals.( Marc's length of deal is still crackers IMO but hey ho).Was Wordy wearing concrete boots as he just fell off the cliff.

Last 30 Dale dominated with wave of attacks and looked the likely winners ,thank goodness Coker ignored Phil's instruction as Browny was happy with the point.

The main thing was the 3 points which keeps us in the mix......great stuff.

Bloody cold though brrrrr.

After what's been a pretty depressing week, with the whole Nile Ranger business it's a huge relief to come away from today's game with the 3 points. I reckon Coxy's last minute winner will prove critical at the end of the season and gives the team the confidence needed going into the Bolton game next weekend and some tough games in the next few weeks.

Yeah I was saying the same last night, could prove to be a massive 3 points!

Fortune and Cox were both sublime for an hour,they both had an outstanding game,and both deserved their goals.( Marc's length of deal is still crackers IMO but hey ho).Was Wordy wearing concrete boots as he just fell off the cliff.

Last 30 Dale dominated with wave of attacks and looked the likely winners ,thank goodness Coker ignored Phil's instruction as Browny was happy with the point.

An entertaining win and you still have to lie. Coker was in fact stuck on the half-way line and reluctant to go forward and only when 'encouraged' did he gallop down the line at the last second.

By the way its no wonder Payet and Costa are on strike when teams like Southend are offering huge 18 month contracts. That's the last thing we need, a decent forward committed to the club and playing well in return.

Note some interesting results yesterday

Sheff Utd tanked 4-1 at Walsall
Bradford went down 1-0 at the Shrews
Peterboro hammered 5-1 at Bury !
...and Bolton 2-1 home defeat to Swindon :stunned:

Kenny Jackett was at the game yesterday. Perhaps some of you will get your choice of manger.....If PB gets offered another job.

Great win in a very tight end to end game
Cox, what can u say, the guy is class, his whole game, works hard, brings others in to play, oh, and he can score
Thought both reds were fair, but, like many others have said Lund should have gone also
Rode our luck second half, but what a 93rd minute, brilliant
Only criticism, why oh why did it take so long for the Coker, Timlin, Wordsworth switch. Woody has had a great season, but his style simply doesn't work in a three, he doesnt have the engine for it. Poor Lenny was doing the job of two for most of the second half.
Special mention for a Timlin also today who I thought was excellent especially when he moved into midfield
After last weeks disapointment this was a huge win. Bring on Bolton and Scunthorpe, reckon we can do both of those as well

on what basis?

Not his performances - he has been immense of late
cant he his determination - always gives his all
oh his age maybe? He is 35 - same age as Zlatan!

Good deal IMHO:smile:

An entertaining win and you still have to lie. Coker was in fact stuck on the half-way line and reluctant to go forward and only when 'encouraged' did he gallop down the line at the last second.

By the way its no wonder Payet and Costa are on strike when teams like Southend are offering huge 18 month contracts. That's the last thing we need, a decent forward committed to the club and playing well in return.

From my my view Phil wanted to play it to Ferdy square because Brown was pointing at Ferdy when Cokes had it.

Back