• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

A few thoughts on yesterday. I saw the Bradford home match and then Sheff Utd match. What struck me was the difference between the midfield performances in the two games. In the first our midfield was formidable; pressing and passing to great effect with Macca and Woody to the fore. In the second, the midfield was different in terms of performance and personnel. No Macca and with Woody not so influential the visitors had the better of the midfield. Yesterday, I thought the midfield again was not so effective. Woody not so influential and with McG sent off we found ourselves struggling at times in midfield. There were occasions in the second half when we were opened up alarmingly, especially after the introduction of Allen.

Both sides missed gilt edged chances, MAF twice for us and Atko; Calvin Andrew had two great chances with his head and there were others from Dale too.

The moving of Tims to midfield was crucial. We had more bite and drive thereafter. The powerful surge forward of Anton for the winner was superb to see. He really wanted to get in on the act.

As others have said, thank the Lord that we have Cox to provide the quality just when it seemed that we would have to settle for a point. That finish was sublime. Could have saved our season. Perhaps a touch of hyperbole on my part but the three points it secured will have done our confidence a power of good.

Hines looked very good in his cameo. Need more of that next Saturday. And good to see Cokes back again. The team for next Saturday picks itself.

A most heartening win. COYB

Great result yesterday, we really needed that after a difficult week with the whole Ranger situation. Also, after losing last week, we needed to bounce back.

Surprised by the size of the crowd. More home fans at the game yesterday that last week against Sheffield United, which is great to see if a little strange. I wonder how often over the years we've lost a home game and then more home supporters have turned up for the next home match.

Oh god !

If I said the pitch was green,you would dispute it:hilarious:

Having just watched the highlights, as soon as Coker is given the ball, Ferdinand makes a run for him down the line so I'm not sure where your "play it square" thought has come from..?

This is what Rochdale supporters thought. What you see is what you see at a match, but this particular comment on the Southend team makes Cox's goal even sweeter.

'Southend are just like Phil Brown, aggressive, angry, dirty and in your face. The play acting was very poor and when He jumped on the pitch at the end it just optimised how they are as a club.'

http://www.fansnetwork.co.uk/members/rochdale/forum/187573/page:3#.WHsJueRvjIU

Bit of a contrast to the Sheffield United fans who seemed to love us last week and were hoping we got promoted with them, I suppose it's easier to be friendly when you win the match.

Bit of a contrast to the Sheffield United fans who seemed to love us last week and were hoping we got promoted with them, I suppose it's easier to be friendly when you win the match.

And when you've not been continually kicking and tripping our players to infuriate us!!!

This is what Rochdale supporters thought. What you see is what you see at a match, but this particular comment on the Southend team makes Cox's goal even sweeter.

'Southend are just like Phil Brown, aggressive, angry, dirty and in your face. The play acting was very poor and when He jumped on the pitch at the end it just optimised how they are as a club.'

http://www.fansnetwork.co.uk/members/rochdale/forum/187573/page:3#.WHsJueRvjIU

Agressive? They are one of the dirtiest teams I have seen, Sheffield were just tough players. Rochdale were not tough, they just pulled players over with their hands all the time, I have not seen a team use hands so much, Fortune was constantly locked with a 2 hand Boston Crab (google it youngster) as were others.

Great result yesterday, we really needed that after a difficult week with the whole Ranger situation. Also, after losing last week, we needed to bounce back.

Surprised by the size of the crowd. More home fans at the game yesterday that last week against Sheffield United, which is great to see if a little strange.
I wonder how often over the years we've lost a home game and then more home supporters have turned up for the next home match.

Think that might have something to do with the Community department giving out free tickets to schools this week and maybe also the 'bring a friend for £10 offer'.

Very good result against a side that knows how to get results. Pleased for Fortune and delighted to see Cox becoming a consistent scorer again. Disappointed in JM. The negatives concerning his sending off almost outweigh anything positive he has, as yet, provided for the team. That one moan aside the team stuck to their task and saw off a difficult opponent. Lets hope it is the start of another fine run undefeated.

SMITH 9 .... Did everything well , looking a class act now. Has kept us in the game a few times now.
DEMETRIOU 7 ... Not a great defender but Thommo covers everything. But excellent energy going forward.
THOMPSON 9 ... So quick , strong , decision making spot on. Surely the best defender in league 1 ?
FERDINAND 6 ... Made several glaring errors + lucky not to cost us more goals than his OG - but surged forward well
TIMLIN 7.5 .......Gave the ball away a few times but also won it back again often. Our midfield was stronger with him in it.
LENNY 7.5 .. Powerhouse performance in an overrun midfield. Was carrying Woody again.
ATKINSON 7 ... Usual energy but quieter than normal. Great one - two for the winner
WORDSWORTH 6..Class player but has been lazy past 3 matches. Quality free kick but precious little else. Can do better.
McGLASHAN 6 ...So speedy, i wish his confidence matched it. We fans need to encourage him more.Silly yellows .
COX 8.5 .........Quality player , superb winner. Always looking for the ball + running, nudging, very cunning player.
FORTUNE 9.5... Strong, quick , tenacious, the ball sticks to him like glue. Running off the ball second to none. 35 ????!!

COKER 7 .... So good to see him back . When he's match sharp i cant wait to see those tricks down the left flank
HINES 7.5 ....Should have come on 15 minutes earlier for tired legs... looks eager + v tricky. Super sub.

Agreed Ted was decent. The back four were good, central two usual dependable selves, Timlin was sharp in the tackle and tho many say Demetriou impressed going forward he seemed to slightly overhit every through ball. Up top Fortune showed great strength to hold off their hands-on (yet very impressive) centre-backs, and Cox's winner was sublime. It was the midfield that disappointed, purely because they are knackered. Lenny did rally a bit after half-time but when we were debating substitutions my boy said 'Atkinson? I didn't even know he was playing ??' . That is why I am surprised PB keeps mentioning defenders and strikers this window....surely it's the engine room that needs more oil ?

Agreed Ted was decent. The back four were good, central two usual dependable selves, Timlin was sharp in the tackle and tho many say Demetriou impressed going forward he seemed to slightly overhit every through ball. Up top Fortune showed great strength to hold off their hands-on (yet very impressive) centre-backs, and Cox's winner was sublime. It was the midfield that disappointed, purely because they are knackered. Lenny did rally a bit after half-time but when we were debating substitutions my boy said 'Atkinson? I didn't even know he was playing ??' . That is why I am surprised PB keeps mentioning defenders and strikers this window....surely it's the engine room that needs more oil ?

I agree. Next match I would rest the knackered Wordsworth, and play Timlin there instead. Coker back as left back of course.

Oh god !

If I said the pitch was green,you would dispute it:hilarious:

The thing I don't get and actually find very , very odd , is that we are on the attack , Coker has the ball , but your eyes are on the Manager standing outside the pitch area.

Why ?

To be fair to Atkinson he got the assist for Cox's goal, he's one of those players you don't really notice but does a lot for the team.

The thing I don't get and actually find very , very odd , is that we are on the attack , Coker has the ball , but your eyes are on the Manager standing outside the pitch area.

Why ?

Indeed mrsblue has falsely claimed PB had settled for a draw yet if you watch the highlights, you can see our sweeper, Ferdinand runs down the line and crucially takes a player with him. This creates a nice big gap for Coker to play the ball into Cox. Then Cox turns and can play a one two with Will, who was in a 3 man midfield but ends up in the penalty area in the 93rd min.

Oh and next mrsblue will be saying he heard PB shouting for Cox to take into the corner rather than shoot.

Indeed mrsblue has falsely claimed PB had settled for a draw yet if you watch the highlights, you can see our sweeper, Ferdinand runs down the line and crucially takes a player with him. This creates a nice big gap for Coker to play the ball into Cox. Then Cox turns and can play a one two with Will, who was in a 3 man midfield but ends up in the penalty area in the 93rd min.

Oh and next mrsblue will be saying he heard PB shouting for Cox to take into the corner rather than shoot.

Phil wanted it played down the line in order to soak up the clock,I and many others heard him shouting exactly that(obviously not run down the clock)he didn't want Dale to breakaway and Nick it(which is fair enough)...Cokes had the balls to ignore the instruction and play it in.

Why ?

Sitting in the greens only yards from Phil,you hear many things including Phil going ballistic.

To be fair to Atkinson he got the assist for Cox's goal, he's one of those players you don't really notice but does a lot for the team.
'
We all like a good Football question so here's one to keep you thinking on a boring Monday afternoon. The forgotten partnership in our recent run of form is the one of Demi and Will, which only really started after the defeat at Rochdale. Now if you include Millwall and Oxford cup games those 2 have played in most of the fixtures, since

So my question is....Since the Chesterfield at home game, How many of our goals conceded have come from down our right hand side. No cheating and going on YouTube. Think of the games, think of the results and how did we concede.

Back