• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

We've had countless Blair's at the club in the past, Harrold, Revell, Bradbury to mention a few. They didnt score many and were 'target men', if he doesn't score goals then he will receive the same unwarranted abuse they all got. Sad to say it but that's football fans.

if your two attacking midfielders are able to get forward and score goals then you dont need to rely on a 15-20 goal striker. That happened today.. Sturrock is able to play his part in that and his hold up play brings those players like Grant and Simpson into the game.
Sturrock is far cleverer and better than Harrold, Revell and Bradbury.

Good performance today, especially in first half. 4-5-1 worked well, in many ways this is a good system to play if you don't have any regular goalscorers in the squad. Two great strikes for the goals but you can't rely on that type of goal every game. Real positives were Grant and Simpson, both superb. Also good performance from Ryan Hall who is a promising player. The controversial selection of Sturrock paid off today as the lone target man.
I still think it best to play 4-4-2 and we really do need a goalscorer or two to play up front, but I suppose its best to play to your strengths at times, which we did today.

Morris - 6
Clohessy - 7
Mohsni - 7
Barker - 7
Gilbert - 7
Simpson - 9 MOM
Grant - 8
Easton - 7
Soares - 5
Hall - 8
Sturrock - 7

Subs: Paterson - 6
Coughlan - 7

We've had countless Blair's at the club in the past, Harrold, Revell, Bradbury to mention a few. They didnt score many and were 'target men', if he doesn't score goals then he will receive the same unwarranted abuse they all got. Sad to say it but that's football fans.

Bradbury didnt get much abuse and his return to the side in the Championship gave us a big boost when we could suddenly start holding up the ball from the front.

You are are correct though strikers who dont score many goals often get criticised, just look at that wast of space Rooney, cant score for love nor money. Yet he set up most of Englands goals the other night. Theres more to being an attacking players than scoring goals, as long as they are helping create goals then thats good enough for me.

A massive factor in Blairs performance today (and Corrs previously) is the way we play at the moment in we are only playing one up front, therefore forcing whoever is playing up there to play with their back to goal. Its even harder to score when you are marked by two centre halves and are holding the ball up for the rest of the team.

They didn't work half as hard as Blair did today. He plays a lot better when he's up top with Barry Corr who I thought we missed today but still put in a very good performance. Well, first hour we did.

Im just of the belief that a striker should atleast have some goal threat, that's all, sorry..

Unfortunately he wasn't playing as a "striker" today. He did exactly what he was supposed to, held the ball up, fed it back to Grant and Simpson or spread it out Soares and Hall, then once Grant or Simpson have a shot from distance he's there to pick up scraps. It was a tactically very sound decision by Sturrock Snr and it schooled a team that had 4 out of 4 so far. In the modern game defining any player by the old money terms of "if he's a striker he's only good if he scores" is a very narrow view. It's a similar role to the one Drogba performs at Chelsea. Case in point being the Chelsea/Wigan game where Chelsea scored 6, but Drogba as the lone "striker" didn't get any of the goals.

Unfortunately he wasn't playing as a "striker" today. He did exactly what he was supposed to, held the ball up, fed it back to Grant and Simpson or spread it out Soares and Hall, then once Grant or Simpson have a shot from distance he's there to pick up scraps. It was a tactically very sound decision by Sturrock Snr and it schooled a team that had 4 out of 4 so far. In the modern game defining any player by the old money terms of "if he's a striker he's only good if he scores" is a very narrow view. It's a similar role to the one Drogba performs at Chelsea. Case in point being the Chelsea/Wigan game where Chelsea scored 6, but Drogba as the lone "striker" didn't get any of the goals.

Did Blair Sturrock really just compared to Drogba?

What a first half complete change from the vale game Scriven what a touch
Morris - 7 Solid
Clohessy - 7 Got forward when possible.
Mohsni - 8 Wn most of his headers, tired in the second half.
Barker - 7 Soild, better in th middle.
Gilbert - 6 Solid and supported well.
Simpson - 8 different player today sign him up!
Grant - 8 fantasic first half tired second!
Easton - 7 Good leader today never gave up.
Soares - 6 Still settling sure there is more to come.
Hall - 9 Wow realy like this guy thought he did really well.
Sturrock - 8 Ran his nuts off an is a team player, won a fantasic header in the second half but nobody ws on the follow up.

Subs: Paterson - 6
Coughlan - 6.

What a game loving it!

Morris 8 - Couple of great saves near the end brought the points home
Clohessy 7.5 - Played well, good engine on him
Mohsni 6 - Seemed to struggle a bit today, but when he gets his head on it it's cleared
Barker 8 - Excellent, won everything in the air and helped out Bilel many times
Gilbert 7 - Defended well, but not much going forward. Saying that, it's exactly what we needed him to do today
Easton 8 - Fantastic for the first hour - absolutely ran the game. Won numerous tackles including a few important blocked tackles in the box. Tired for the last 30 mins and we seemed to lose the midfield
Grant 7.5 - Fantastic goal and played well for the first half, but struggled in the second as we couldn't hold the ball
Simpson 7.5 - Fantastic goal although I thought he'd struggled to get in the game before that. Afterwards he got involved well - looks a tidy player
Soares 6 - Saw plenty of the ball in the first half, but I can't remember him creating much. Was a weak link today
Hall 8 - Looked dangerous everytime he got the ball and put in some dangerous balls. Decision making was good too. Looks like a real talent. Needs to learn the naughty side of the game, when he was tugged back in the penalty area if he'd gone to ground its a penalty, sending off and game over - not that I condone this behaviour, but refs don't have the guts to give a penalty if someone stays on their feet. On this occasion, the tug was sufficient to put him off and should have been given as a foul
Sturrock 8 MotM - Held the ball up superbly well, played people in with neat little balls and worked hard.

Paterson 5 - Didn't work hard enough when he came on - wrong sub from Sturrock, he should have brought spencer on if he wants someone to run around.
Coughlan 7 - only on for 10 mins, but won a few crucial headers

Ref 6 - tale of 2 halves for him, excellent in the first, but poor in the second. In fairness he certainly wasn't helped by the lino in the east who was woeful.

TBV 7.5. A bit quiet early doors, but when it went 2-1 they really got behind the players and helped them over the line.

Here's mine for the pringello index.

Game of two halves. 1st Half we won 2-0 about right. 2nd half they won 1-0 about right. 2-1 final score about right, on the overall play/chances.

Morris 7.5 wished he would command and take, when the ball is there for the taking. That he did twice, unfortunately on at least 3 other occasions he didn't and put the pressure on the defence. would have only got a 7 but that save near the end was class.

Clohessy 7. Better game for him I felt. Did all that was asked.

Moshni 7. My first time seeing him. Thought the first five mins was a disaster, but credit to him stuck with it well, then had a bit of a league two lesson in the last
30 mins where he and his fellow central defender struggled with their number 20

Barker 7. Steady first half. struggled a bit last half hour, actually prefer him at left back.

Gilbert 7. My first witnessing of him at left back did ok but I actually prefer barker there.

Hall 8. Thought he was a threat every time he got the ball, especially first half. Like the look of him, very promising.

Simpson. 8.5 Cracking goal, getting fitter, and looking menacing when moving forward with the ball.

Grant 9. Cracking goal too. my MOM was everywhere first half hit the post too, with a very clever piece of football. Would have got a 9.5 but for tiring at the end, and not looking forward much.

Easton 7. Did well first half. tryed to be a bit too clever on the ball when a hoof was needed in ther second. Like him tho

Soares 7. Held, the shape and changed it when required, but flatter's to deceive a bit, needs a goal like the other two today I feel then he'll be ok.

Sturrock 8.5 Gave his all for the cause, knackered at the end, and was actually walking over, thinking he would be substituted for Paterson. Good link play, and will know he was in a game, as he was knocked about a bit for 90 mins+. Actually liking him more and more.

Subs.

Paterson 5. Didn't have much time, but for me didn't close space, or put himself about too much when it was needed, and looked more knackered than some who had chased all game.

Coughlan. 8. (now people are going to say 8- he was only on for 5 mins! , but that 5 mins got us the three points.) Should have come on earlier as their number 20,
and them going 3 up top, was causing us all sorts of problems with their route one final 25/30 mins. Moshni and Barker weren't winning clean headers, and not clearing their lines. This changed when Coughlan came on , we looked less likely to concede again, and Sturrock should have brought him on earlier.

Ref. 6 Missed an obvious penalty to us early second half for handball. 3-0 would have finished the contest sooner. Also one of their players in the first half made 5 fouls before even a talking to. 4 mins additional time (?) seemed to be waiting for the league leaders to equalise.

Blue Voice 8. took a while to get going, but could hear you ok in th east. (who don't sing any of the words, just clap along)

Overall, a very good game which I thoroughly enjoyed, we looked knackered at the end, but that's only to be expecteds since we haven't really got a pre-season
behind us. Made the league leaders look very ordinary in the first half, they came hard at us in the second (to be expected). I Think last season's team may just have folded at the second half onslaught.

Last edited:
Morris 8 Kept us in the game with a fantastic save but his lack of height was exploited by Torquay’s second half aerial bombardment

Clohessy 7 Best I’ve seen him play, just marked down for being sucked into the middle at key moments in the second half.

Mohsni 7, Nightmare first 5 minutes then a superb first half. Second half was erratic – some great headers and clearances but got a bit ragged under pressure, though no wonder as he could hardly stand at the end.

Barker 8 Calm, solid and intelligent play.

Gilbert 8 Good solid performance.

Hall 7 Very impressive for an hour, our best winger. Tired second half and that could have cost us dearly when he didn’t have the legs to track back.

Soares 7 Beginning to see his touch and vision get results. Again, went AWOL when the going got tough second half.

Easton 9 All three of our central midfielders were superb. His commanding display in front of our back four gave Grant and Simpson the freedom they exploited to great effect

Grant 9 Again a class above and a fantastic goal.

Simpson 9 Haven’t seen a Blues player look as comfortable on the ball for ages – tackled well in tandem with Clohessy and an equally brilliant strike for his goal.

Blair Sturrock 8 For the first 15 minutes I thought he was poor but then showed great guts, strength and awareness with some sublime touches and passes. No, he’s not going to score many goals but if he can bring the best out of Grant, Simpson, Hall etc then he’s worth his place.

Scrivs 10

Subs

Paterson 7 Was brought on to use his fresh legs to chase and harrass.

Coughlan 7 Brought on in the nick of time. We needed more help at the back – midfield was being bypassed totally – and he did a good job.

Ref and Linesmans – If letting the game flow means ignoring blatent pushing and even more blatent shirt pulling by the Torquay left back then I’m all in favour of refs who don’t let the game flow.

Blues Voice 9 - in fact the whole crowd 9

This is the first game I've seen Simpson play CM and it showed today, he was very good and I'd like Sturrock to go to Peterborough and broker a deal to get him here permanently. I like the idea of 3 across the middle with Hall and Soares drifting around the wings. Worked well today for me, and a great tactic from PS to use this formation. Grant's goal was sublime. I was right behind the goal and the second it left his boot, looking at the shape of his body and the flight path of the ball, I just knew it was going in....pretty much the same with Simpson's goal as well.

Morris 7
Clohessy 7
Mohsni 7
Barker 8
Gilbert 7
Hall 7
Grant 8
Easton 8
Simpson 9
Soares 7
Sturrock 8

Paterson 6
Coughlan 7

TBV 8

Scriven 10

Morris - 7
Clohessy - 7.5
Mohsni - 8
Barker - 7
Gilbert - 6.5
Simpson - 8
Grant - 8
Easton - 7
Soares - 6
Hall - 8
Sturrock - 8.5

Subs:

Paterson - 6
Coughlan - 6

Morris - 6
Clohessy - 6
Gilbert - 6
Mohsni - 7
Barker - 7
Soares - 7
Easton - 6
Simpson - 8
Grant - 8
Hall - 7
Sturrock - 7

Paterson - 5
Coughlan - 7

TBV - 8

'The players are determined to give you an improved performance today' said Paul Sturrock in the programme notes and boy, did they deliver! The first half was the best 45 minutes of football that I have seen from a Southend side for a year. They gave Torquay no time on the ball at all and played with so much skill and intent. In fact, it was nothing short of a footballing lesson and they didn't live up to the 'unplayable' moniker given to them by Helen Chamberlain last week. The Blues tired a bit towards the end and Torquay started to show the reasons for their good run but the better side won. The future looks bright as we continue to build sharpness and shake off the lack of pre season training. Thanks Paul for giving us back our football club!

Morris 7 His save in the second half was crucial. He needed a bit of a talking to by Barker over his positioning late in the game but did well.

Clohessy 8 Terrific today - sure in defence and penetrating in attack.

Mohsni 8 Didn't look on his game at the start but very dominant in the air for the most part. Didn't get on the end of anything in the box but made quite a few key tackles and can play well on the floor too. Works his socks off.

Barker 8 Kept us organised at the back, even if he did lose out in the air a few times near the end. Class player.

Gilbert 7 They started targeting him in the air in the second half. He struggled with Zebroski (who looked a real handful) but did well.

Hall 8 Isn't it great to have a genuine left-footed winger? He gave us width, pace and skill in the first half that we didn't often see from Moussa. One turn in the first half had everyone round me purring. He isn't quite so hot in defence, getting out of position a few times and leaving Gilbert a bit exposed but I like this lad a lot.

Soares 7 An inspired selection from Sturrock. I liked the shape of the team with him running onto Sturrock's flick-ons in the first half. He kept cutting inside against Port Vale so the formation was perfect for him. He has more pace and commitment than Paterson and reminded me a little of Theo Robinson (who also wore the number 17 shirt if I remember correctly).

Easton 8 He's class. I couldn't believe the criticism of him on here in the last couple of weeks. He plays it simple but is aware of everything and got back when he needed to when they started bypassing the midfield. Really good tackling too. Tired a bit at the end.

Grant 9 What a goal. He is the patron saint of lost causes too - he never gives up on a ball. Sturrock seems to have filled him with confidence and he is enjoying the greater freedom he gets in league two. He only really began to fade after taking a hit on the nads but I'm not at my best after that kind of injury either...

Simpson 9 Terrific on the ball. His goal was a screamer. He also took the pressure off us when he got the ball in the second half with excellent retention.

Blair Sturrock 8 Had a big job on his hands with Branston (a major reason for Torquay's outstanding start to the season) but acquitted himself brilliantly - they seem like good mates from his time at Torquay although no quarter was given or asked for on the field. I enjoyed watching their battle immensely. Sturrock is such an intelligent footballer and a real team player. He linked up much of our outstanding play in the first half and I can't believe the wrong headed criticism he is receiving from some on here. They assume that because he is the son of the boss that a complaint must be in order, and that because he isn't a Michael Owen type 'fox in the box' that he is no good to us. Don't listen to them Blair. Everyone round me thought you were terrific.

Subs

Paterson 6 I was more impressed with him than usual - he seemed to be trying a bit harder and had a couple of nice touches although he still makes the wrong runs, expending energy uselessly, without really challenging for the ball when it matters.

Coughlan 7 I have to admit, I was worried when he came on after the mess he made of the Port Vale game, but he did well and made some key interceptions that took the pressure off us.

Fans - The loudest I have heard in ages.

The Southend camera man 10 Lovely time-wasting move, throwing the ball into the empty stand. The Torquay players were not impressed...

Top effort lads. I was really proud of you.

Last edited:
Morris 7 - A bit dodgy at times but great save at the end

Clohessy 8 - Defended really well and got forward as much as possible, will get better and better as the season goes on
Gilbert 7 - Steady performance, did nothing wrong
Moshni 7 - Great aerial presence at both ends of the pitch, like Clohessy he will get better as time goes on
Barker 8 - Not really understood what all the fuss was about so far, changing my mind after today though. Decent in the air, calm and composed on the deck and never stopped talking and encouraging for the full 90

Easton 7 - Steady performance, never going to run the show from midfield but keeps things ticking over nicely and allows Grant and Simpson to get forward
Grant 8 - Fantastic goal, would have been a 9 but gave the ball away a bit too easily at times
Simpson 9 - MOM for me today, drove the side forward from midfield, scored a cracking goal and showed plenty of creativity and flair. Still think there is more to come from him as he slowly gets fitter

Hall 7 - Really liked the look of him in the last few games, has something about him and could be a great player for us in the future
Soares 6 - Not overly impressed so far, seems pretty ineffective and looks a bit lazy at times, hoping he proves me wrong though
Sturrock 7 - Held the ball up really well, has a great touch and can cross really well from out wide, not enough goal threat for me though

Subs:

Paterson 6 - Chased hard but Torquay were well on top by the time he came on
Coughlan 7 - Wasnt on for long but won a couple of great headers

TBV 8 - Good effort today
Scriv 10 - Awesome
Torquay's meathead centre half -10 - Had a pop at Scriv, had a pop at Widdrington, swore at the camera, even had a go at one of the ballboys in the north stand in injury time! What a complete tool, hope you enjoy your loooong journey home with 0 points in the bag you clown!!

UTB

Back