• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Archetypal game of two halves.

I actually thought that the first half performance, until around the 40th minute, was amongst the most commanding displays I've seen from a Southend side... right up there with that second half against Yeovil. Everything Torquay tried was intercepted quickly, and they couldn't get near our slick passing regime that started from the middle, and spread out wide to the hugely influencial Hall and Soares. They really pegged back the full-backs and allowed us to mount no end of pressure, causing Torquay to attempt a long-ball game to Elliot Benyon, who is clearly 14 years old and there on Work Experience.

Grant's goal was absolutely superb. He didn't blast it into the net at all, he simply guided it right into the top corner, curling it away from the 'keeper. The moment it left his boot I knew it was in, and it paid great testament to his outrageous technical ability. He's head and shoulders above most at this level, and it pains me to say he doesn't deserve to be slumming it in this division.

Simpson's goal was just as good... Doggedly winning back possession in midfield before advancing, and lashing in a shot just outside of the goalkeepeer's reach. I actually thought his goal was just against the run of play as we were beginning to tire immensely, and just getting into half-time 1-0 up would've been an achievement. This showed after the break, and the tiredness creeped in as early as the 60th minute... Torquay hauled off the anonymous Benyon and bought on Phil and Grant Mitchell's estranged triplet who wasn't much better, but posed far more of a physical threat to a Moshni running on empty.

In the end, we were lucky to scrape through, but we deserved the three points on the first half display, and League Two scouts will have an awful lot to write home about. A proper rest for the players after a fortnight spell where the games have come thick and fast, and hopefully we can make that first 40 minutes extend to 90.

Tactically, I thought we were immaculate when energy levels were high. Whoever says Sturrock hasn't got a first touch needs their heads examining, as when he wasn't being assaulted by Branston, he was taking the ball down perfectly and laying it into the path of Simpson or Grant, who played in Hall or Soares behind the defenders. By dropping deep to collect the ball, Sturrock was continually pulling Branston out of position, which allowed either winger the space to run into. Hall exploited this something rotten in the first half hour, and probably should've done something about it. Funnily enough, Sturrock's also one of the best crossers of the ball we have... and two of his crosses really should've been converted.

The balance in midfield is a joy to behold. Easton's happy to sit in front of the defence and play it simple or spread the ball to Sturrock, whereas Grant and Simpson are your box-to-box, all-action equivalents. They tired towards the end and I thought Bouzid was going to come on, but PS probably rightfully wanted to maintain the balance, as anything to alter that could've swung the game in Torquay's favour. My only gripe is that, with the tactic, Simpson is quickly becoming crucial and, if we can't extend his loan or sign him permanently, we could struggle in his absence.

Quick word for Moshni. Another totally committed display... On a few occasions, particularly in the last 20 when his legs had gone, he missed a few headers, but he wins almost everything in the air and with a season of football under his belt, he'll be quite extraordinary. It's a shame that we probably won't see that, however, as I understand there were a handful of scouts at the ground today and that two Premier League clubs have been alerted.

Ratings for Pringello.

Morris - 7.5 - Didn't do anything in the first, tremendous save to keep out the bat**** mental Zebroski's header in the second.
Gilbert - 6 - Disappointing distribution, but solid enough work rate as he gets himself back to fitness.
Barker - 7.5 - Not quite worthy of an 8, but another good performance.
Moshni - 7.5 - As above.
Clohessy - 7 - Like Gilbert, a few momentarily lapses, but he has that crossfield diagonal to a tee... It's just getting Hall/Soares/Boub to read it.
Easton - 7 - Combatant when necessary, simple distribution.
Grant - 8 - Outstanding goal, drifted out of the game in the second half as both teams hoofed it around.
Simpson - 8 - As above, although he was more of an outlet as we looked to ease pressure.
Hall - 8 - Very impressed today. Direct and intelligent, if a little one-footed/dimension.
Soares - 7 - Not quite as effective as Hall, but still posed a threat.
Sturrock - 8 - Great performance against a rugged defence and officials who ignored every shove.

PS/TW - 8 - Could've freshened things up when we faded, but we were tactically spot on.

The only sub on long enough for a mark would be Paterson, who I was extremely disappointed with. He looks a player completely shot of confidence and one going through the motions, which is sad to see from a player who, on form, can offer so much. I'd like to see him get a full 90 under his belt, but if he's going to amble around the pitch then I don't think he warrants a start.

Best performance i've seen in about 2 years from us. 65 mins we looked like promotion contenders last 25mins held on.

Morris - little to do, but pulled off a fantastic save at the end 8/10
Cohlessy - solid, most improved player since first game 8/10
Barker - fantastic absolutely superb 8.5/10
Bilel Moshini - woeful first 10 mins but then like a colossus beanstalk on fire 9/10
Gilbert - glad he's in the team- stay put 8/10
Soares - had a good game loved him and Hall swapping 7.5/10
Grant - stunning goal our rock!!! 8.5/10
Easton - growning on me, steady and mature 8/10
Simpson - gotta say i thought his performance was one of the best central midfield performances since 90's, if he plays like that we'll go up 9.5/10 MOM
Hall - blinding runs, crosses. great corners. If he plays like this we'll lose him DEFO 8.5/10
Sturrock - ran ran ran ran. for effort alone 7.5/10

Subs
Paterson - ok i was baffled that he came on and played upfront. if he was supposed to do this then 6/10 if he ****ed up and ignored the decision then 4/10
Coughaln - hoof it away and he did it 7.5/10

Manager
Sturrock - up to the sub of paterson i would of said 9/10 but i'm gonna drop him to 8/10 cos of that balls up!

Ref
Don't know his name but i thought he was pretty decent 8/10

Crowd
At ****ing ****ing ****ing last!!!! yeah we're back 8/10

Last edited:
Best performance I have seen in a while, against a reasonable Torquay side, for a much deserved win. Well played all.

Morris - 8 - Good game, solid and some good saves.
Clohessy - 7 - Some decent crosses, probably a few more games with the rest of the defence to build up the understanding between them.
Gilbert - 7 - Very solid.
Mohsni - 7 - Won a lot of balls, building up a good understanding with Morris
Barker - 8 - Signing him was a coup, very solid, great heading.
Hall - 9 - Very quick, potential to be better than Marky Gower at his best!
Soares - 7 - Bit disappointed, bit too much like Laurant - either brilliant or useless, no middle ground!
Easton - 7 - Jury is sill out. Looks okay, but waiting to be wowed still.
Grant - 8 - Excellent goal, fantastic in the first half, marked out and faded a bit in the second. But, he's a class act!
Simpson - 9 - MOM Excellent goal, played his heart out. Another class act!
Sturrock - 9 - I'm really impressed. As the lone runner up front for most of the game, he popped up everywhere, held play up brilliantly, made some intelligent passes, caused all sorts of problems for their defence and got them leaving gaping holes for Grant, Simpson and Hall to run amock in.

Paterson - 7 - Didnt really get much of a look in, too late to really make an impact on the game
Coughlan - 8 - Very strong. Glad to see we finally have strength in depth!

What was the better overall performance, Bradford or Torquay?

Probably Torquay... Bradford played right into our hands and obviously had no idea what we were about, whereas Torquay aren't a bad side at all, and we made them look distinctly ordinary for almost the entire first half, and the initial blows of the second.

Had we not tired, It really could've been 3 or 4-0 today, and not only because of a stonewall penalty turned down when Soares was blocked running into the box.

What was the better overall performance, Bradford or Torquay?

Today by a long stretch. Last friday was a fantastic away win and much needed, but bradford on the day (and again today vs port vale) were poor and there for the taking and for that reason it was an excellant performance. Toady though we played against a team who had won every game this season, only conceded 1 goal in something like 10 games and we taught them a footballing lesson. Yes they put under pressure at the end with four big lumps up front but we competed and battled our way to the win and for that they deserve much credit. We are still a learning team and i really think the past week or so has shown that we are really moving in the right direction. i doubt we will come up against a bigger team this season and sturrock ha sproved that he has the tactical brain to deal with each game as it comes.

Was completely impressed by all the players today. Sturrock has one hell of a deft touch, him or Corr next to a poacher and we would rip teams apart.
Barker was immense, best centre half performance since Dervite was here.
Grant was everywhere, the ball seemed to stick to his feet at times, likewise Simpson, who I thought was total class. He has such good feet and guile, yet players were bouncing off him at times due to his strength, top class.

For the first time this year we really looked like a team.Some great moves and link up play,lots of closing down and team effort. Nice to see the players at the end celebrating together.Well done to all of them

Argyle fan here.

Trust in Luggy, he'll do you well.

Champions, or at least promoted.

There's a lot of Green putting money on it.

St Paul of Sturrock is still revered by most over these parts. :thumbsup:

Morris - 7 - Did his job well.

Clohessy - 7 - Looks a very good player going forward, and not afraid to stick his foot in, but often caught out of position
Gilbert - 7 - Not as good going forward as Clohessy but a good solid defender
Mohsni - 7 - Good player, but I think is yet to show the home fans what he seems to have shown away from home and during pre season.
Barker - 8 - If Easton wasn't captain would certainly be him, so commanding at the back

Hall - 9 - Looks to be the main threat on the wing, runs at players, shows skill and good crosses
Soares - 7 - Seems to be getting better with every game he plays but still not quite where I'd personally like him to be
Easton - 7 - Solid enough performance, isn't much of an impact player, but plays well at what he does.
Grant - 8 - What a goal!
Simpson - 9 - Thought Simpson was amazing today, great goal too.

Sturrock - 9 - Honestly cannot understand why anyone could rate him lower then an 8 for this performance and would seriously recommend that the 5 given by someone was not taken for the pringello (possibly someone who has just taken a disliking to him and cannot let it go) okay he didn't score, but most of Southends threat came from his flick ons and was crucial to our game today.

Paterson - 6 - Was okay, much better then against the gills but unfortunate to come on when he did as really had no chance of getting in to the game with Torquay pressing like they were.
Coughlan - 7 - Needed to come on, and was just a good sub by the manager to hold out for the win really

Blue Voice - 8 - Can't remember there being many moments when they weren't singing!

Just seen the goals on the FL show. Great finishes, and the manager was perfectly complimentary to us...

Which is more than I can say for the BBC, who seemed to put the result down to 3 away trips in 8 days plus extra time against Bournemouth in the cup catching up with Torquay.

******s.

Just seen the goals on the FL show. Great finishes, and the manager was perfectly complimentary to us...

Which is more than I can say for the BBC, who seemed to put the result down to 3 away trips in 8 days plus extra time against Bournemouth in the cup catching up with Torquay.

******s.

I blame that prick Mark Clemmitt :madman:

******s.

But surely this would have been the JPT in which there was no extra time, just penalties they are talking about??

Saying Torquay were tired is lazy journalism. The fact that they dominated the last 20 mins suggests they were fit enough - we just played exceptionally well first half.

I've been a critic of Easton from what I've seen up to now but performances like today are the perfect answer to critics like me and he was not the best of the midfielders by a long chalk. That first half team performance was breathtaking as was the determination (among the panicking) in the last 20.

It is a very simple equation. The team pu the effort in on he pitch and win,lose or draw they'll no be criticised by me.

Any Barrett lovers that still believe he is as good as any of the four defenders we had on show today. Barker showed how to lead and command a back line even when the chips are down. Last person I saw doing that was Spinner and then Paul Clark before that.

I'm convinced we're good enough to steer clear of a relegation battle. Top 10 at Crimbo would make for an interesting second half of the season. What a contrast from the last league game at home

Loved how there was literally nothing said about us on the FL show after the OS bigged up Mark Clemmitt coming to town, was all about Torquay and their unbeaten run. Oh well, we'll keep playing the underdog :clap:

Probably Torquay... Bradford played right into our hands and obviously had no idea what we were about, whereas Torquay aren't a bad side at all, and we made them look distinctly ordinary for almost the entire first half, and the initial blows of the second.

Had we not tired, It really could've been 3 or 4-0 today, and not only because of a stonewall penalty turned down when Soares was blocked running into the box.

Fantastic, I remember saying in my posts about Bradford that whilst we played very well... Bradford were awful. Torquay came into today with a terrific record so it's really exciting that we're continuing to make such rapid improvements.

First hour and a bit was as good as I can recall from a Southend team for a long while, probably since Nicky Bailed bossed Walsall at the Bescot about 3 years ago. What was so impressive was that we were playing within ourselves, Sturrock got it absolutely tactically spot on. The 4-3-2-1 meant that the 2 occupied their full-backs and prevented them from bringing the ball out of defence, whilst the manager's son was immense. I counted three clean headers all game that he allowed that lump Branston to win. That was the basis for our superiority, as we kept them pinned back, away from our goal for most of the game (basically until Blair tired) as we just didn't give them time to build. Whilst Blair didn't win many headers, he didn't have to, as the rushed headed clearances that he caused fell for us at the secondary or tertiary ball. He occupied two centre-backs and gave us the extra man elsewhere. Those who have been slagging him off must be feeling rather silly after another excellent and tactically astute display.

Even when Torquay, high on confidence, pushed on I had every faith that we would hold on. That's rather a rare feeling and something I haven't felt since Spencer Prior was organising our back-line. Sure, Morris had to make a (singular) smart save, but that is what he's there for. Torquay put us under pressure (and deserved their consolation goal) but we fully deserved to hold out and I felt we still had something in reserve.

Ratings

Morris 7.5 - whilst most plaudits will be reserved for his save, I thought the way he came for a corner and threw it out to Clohessy was even more impressive.
Clohessy 8 - don't fancy his throw-ins, but I reckon that's his best performance yet. One excellent interception on one of the few occasions we looked short at the back highlighted his defensive awareness.
Gilbert 6.5 - defensively sound, but I don't fancy him going forward
Barker 7.5 - despite looking like Jamie Carragher he appears defensively sound
Mohsni 6 - awful first 5 minutes when he was all over the shop positionally, but looked like recovering until he cost us a goal by getting sucked out of position. Remains an exciting talent, but is still very raw.
Easton 7.5 - someone we will notice a lot more when he's missing then when he's playing, but keeps the ball moving and gets stuck in. Quietly establishing himself as a real influence in this team.
Grant 8 - exceptional technique once more for his goal. His fast footwork is integral now to our rhythm.
Simpson 8 - fantastic finish crowned another classy display. I said at Bradford that he's fast becoming my favourite player and he's doing nothing to make me change my mind. Too good for this division.
Hall 7 - lively before he tired. Strangely his first touch seems better than his second.
Soares 6.5 - probably his best display for the club to date. Looked far more comfortable in a more advanced role.
Sturrock 8 - typical Sturrock. Obviously needs replacing as we only scored two goals against a team who had conceded 1 goal in 12.

morris 7
clohesssey 7
barker 8
mohsni 6 he really did just lose the plot today
gilbert 7
easton 7.5
grant 7.5
simpson 8
hall 7
soares 6.5
sturrock 7

blue voice 9 great work got the whole ground going towards the end