• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Post-Match Thread and Ratings Southend United 2-1 Yeovil Town

7 points clear of the drop zone and feels as if we are at the start of something here. Look much more solid at the back, playing far better football and the boys are giving it everything out there.

We have 3 huge games coming up, with a genuine opportunity to potentially put 15 points from 15 available on the board following those games.

Very big few weeks for the season but from what we have seen recently we can feel a lot more confident. What a result against a decent outfit, come on you blues
Wow, if we getting 5 points for a win, we should make the playoffs easily.

Far be it from me to raise the spectre of knocks, but Murphy and Atkinson, unless, the latter was withdrawn as a caution?
Poor Matt Rush doesn't have the same influence up top.
I'd take a defeat against Daggers if it meant treatment for Murphy and his availability guaranteed against King's Lynn.
Sounds like everyone put in a shift tonight, and clearly the confidence is starting to reappear.
I know he was only on a few minutes, but how did Kensdale look?

I cannot remember enjoying a game for a long time as much as I just enjoyed that performance.

Back to back wins and 1 defeat in 7 and my God did we play like it tonight. The wing backs absolutely tore them to shreds and the diagonal was always on and we executed it superbly.

It must be great for King Kev, Currie and Bentley to see that the hard work and dedication on the training ground is paying off because we tonight, as we did on Saturday, looked like we knew what our game plan was. Something unfortunately we didn’t see often enough under Brown.

We are still light in attack on the bench - Rush for me just isn’t good enough for this level. We need a striker to come in and I have faith we will deliver that.

Shout out to Arnold for that save. I know he had a clanger after but that save is one of the best you’ll see all season. Even the one in the first half when he was offside was incredible!

Some very winnable games on the horizon and suddenly I’m enjoying watching us play again.

What a time to be alive.

Last edited:
I cannot remember enjoying a game for a long time as much as I just enjoyed that performance.

Back to back wins and 1 defeat in 7 and my God did we play like it tonight. The wing backs absolutely tore them to shreds and the diagonal was always on and we executed it superbly.

It must be great for King Kev, Curry and Bentley to see that the hard work and dedication on the training ground is paying off because we tonight, as we did on Saturday, looked like we knew what our game plan was. Something unfortunately we didn’t see often enough under Brown.

We are still light in attack on the bench - Rush for me just isn’t good enough for this level. We need a striker to come in and I have faith we will deliver that.

Shout out to Arnold for that save. I know he had a clanger after but that save is one of the best you’ll see all season. Even the one in the first half when he was offside was incredible!

Some very winnable games on the horizon and suddenly I’m enjoying watching us play again.

What a time to be alive.
He look knackered after 10 minutes coming off the bench, unfortunately didn't look as sharp as he did at the end of last season, shame really.

Definitely need someone that can come off the bench and cause trouble.

The first 45 minutes was as good as I have seen at Roots Hall for 3 seasons. Everyone knew their position and knew exactly what the players around them were going to do. Prime example was Ralph and Clifford the pass and go philosophy worked a treat for them in the first half carving holes down the left. Harrison Neal was everything I hoped he would be, he drove the side forward in the middle snapping at the opposition, winning tackles and playing the simple ball most of the time. Atko was not far behind and at times he looked like the Atko of first time around. Playing for a contract extension? maybe, but god he ran himself into the ground. When was the last time that our two full backs have scored in a game? blowed if I can remember. Anyway a great night, fabulous crowd reaction led by the excellent Blue Voice and three points. The last minutes of the game were a bit tense especially after they scored but, apart from their goal, Arnold was a brick wall to their forwards with some classy saves. I could waffle on more but suffice to say everyone supporting the team went home very happy following a very good team performance.

Amusing moment of the night was when their left back was subbed. He had been griping at the West Lino most of the 2nd half and they decided to sub him, now he had no number on his back and the entire walk along the West, South and East he was greeted with 'Who are ya', comedy gold it was.

First half was immense. Intensity, picking our passes, making the opposition uncomfortable. Best half of football SUFC have played for over 3 years.

Started 2nd half the same, but lost our way a bit as some legs tired. Thought we lost some defensive tenacity with the sub of Atkinson for Ferguson.

Fortuitous goal for Yeovil that appeared to come from a spill/deflection off the post that fell perfectly for their forward. Apart from one top save, not much for Arnold to do. The credit for that falls on our defence who hardly set a foot wrong.

Referee was atrocious all night. Giving non-fouls, being pedantic, and also intercepting more passes than we did today. But try as he might, he couldn't stop us from winning. First time I've seen us play while not being over reliant on the favour of the officials.

Oh yeah, forgot about the ref, what a ****
You're being too kind!

Honestly shocking stuff and how there was not a booking/possible red for an atrocious challenge on Matty Dennis 2nd half I'll never know. Sitting in the East Black I got a perfect view of it and it was dirty.

You're being too kind!

Honestly shocking stuff and how there was not a booking/possible red for an atrocious challenge on Matty Dennis 2nd half I'll never know. Sitting in the East Black I got a perfect view of it and it was dirty.
Shout out to the foul on Murphy under his nose that went unpunished only for them to get a FK in a dangerous area seconds later for the softest of fouls.

What a change a change of manager makes. From going backwards every week we are now progressing and getting better and better. We simply tore Yeovil apart down the flanks and they couldn’t deal with our 3-4-3.

Key to that was the two performances of the wide central defenders. Their comfort on the ball and willingness to get forward just gives us an extra dimension (and man). Hobson is much maligned in some quarters but I thought he was excellent tonight and who is complaining about Ralph at centre-half now? That allowed Demi and Clifford to get forward and both got on the scoresheet.

What has transformed the team though has been having Harrison Neal in the middle. He was a one man midfield and carried Atkinson, who was unsurprisingly hauled off at half-time. Whether that was injury, tiredness or performance related I’m not sure.

We did flag and the lack of fitness and depth in the squad is concerning. A new forward seems a must as Dennis and Murphy are struggling to play 90 minutes at the moment. Akinola would suit this formation perfectly: what a crying shame Brown hobbled him by making him play on when injured.

Arnold will be disappointed with the one he fumbled at the end but produced one fantastic save (and another good one when they were offside). A second consecutive clean sheet would have been the cherry of the cake.

Now to take the momentum and turn it into a Wembley appearance in the Trophy.

Fantastic result and finally step by step its getting better, its crazy what confidence can do and hopefully it can grow and grow.
Hopefully if we carry on going on a upward spiral we can challenge next season.
Baby steps.UTB

Thoroughly enjoy this tonight and in particular the first half.
Great to see some fire and lace back in the team and the improvement in Daley is good to see and thought he and Clifford worked so hard tonight.

It has been a long time since I have walked away from Roots Hall with a smile on my face but I did tonight
The fire is good , not so sure about the lace --- unless you lent them some frillies. :Smile::Smile::Smile::Smile:

Back