• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Post-Match Thread and Ratings Southend United 2-1 Yeovil Town

Lovely stuff today. The pressing in the first half was superb by the whole team and the front 3 in particular , we were all over Yeovil when they had the ball and kept panicking them. Atkinson seems to have found an extra few years from somewhere and had a great first half, hopefully not anything serious. Tom Clifford had a great game, solid in defence, some quality set pieces and crosses and in the right place for a simple finish. Dennis looks like a real handful for defenders at this level, the three up top looks lopsided at points but I can see the logic of letting him run and turn at NL centre backs.

Overall : I enjoyed that.

Great night and a fantastic shift out in by the whole team , back 3 we’re vocal , assures and physical.
Midfield were compact , mobile and aggressive winning the majority of first and second balls , not giving Yeovil a second on the ball .

Dalby showed some lovely touches and link up play and Dennis is a menace , I was screaming at him to switch play in the build up to the second goal but his cross come shot was perfect and Clifford couldn’t miss.

They are most defiantly playing for the shirt , the manager and the crowd tonight , nice to see Stan get animated and he applauded Arnold’s second half save which was deserving of save of the season thus far .

He made a couple of strange decisions punching the ball but overall his save made up for the mistake

Mom for me was Demi or Dennis with a few running them close

We look fit and up for the challenge so bring on next Friday where we should be collecting another 3 points

Great night at the game. Energy and drive was on a totally different level. Everyone seemed to have confidence in what they were doing.
Liked how quickly we moved the ball out from defence, in particular JDs cross field passes and through balls were different class tonight. Deserved a goal and worth the yellow to see him dish out some retribution for their niggling tackles.
Great to see Clifford get a goal.
Immense save by Arnold and Hobson was a rock too.
Darby made himself a handful and Dennis is so strong and in their faces. Deserved all the applause he got when he came off.
Joint MOM for me was JD and the fans

What a change a change of manager makes. From going backwards every week we are now progressing and getting better and better. We simply tore Yeovil apart down the flanks and they couldn’t deal with our 3-4-3.

Key to that was the two performances of the wide central defenders. Their comfort on the ball and willingness to get forward just gives us an extra dimension (and man). Hobson is much maligned in some quarters but I thought he was excellent tonight and who is complaining about Ralph at centre-half now? That allowed Demi and Clifford to get forward and both got on the scoresheet.
Really noticed this tonight too. We played with overlapping/underlapping centre backs similar to Sheff Utd when they won the Championship a couple of years ago. Tonight we created overloads on the left hand side with Ralph and Clifford so often, especially with the crossfield ball.

Fantastic to watch. You can tell we are now well coached. Hopeful for the future at long last.

Holy ****. I don't know where to start after that. This is not the time to get carried away - there is plenty of work still to do and it won't be plain-sailing. But that is the most impressed and entertained I've been by a Southend performance in some three-and-a-half years. A really expansive, intelligent, organised, intense and physical performance. We rinsed Yeovil down the flanks and the diagonal balls to switch play were brilliant. Mightily impressive.

The most pleasing thing was the press. It was done as a unit, in packs and was intense for around 75 minutes. It pushed the team higher up the pitch and Yeovil didn't have an answer for it. I can't remember the last time I was genuinely able to say "the opposition couldn't live with us".

There is a game plan and a shape and full credit to Kev, Daz and Benno for the insane work they are doing on the training ground getting a tune out of these boys. For the first time in forever, our players look like they know exactly what is expected of them and look willing to do it. A long way to go yet, but a corner is most definitely being turned. I think we will definitely need some more options to come in, as after watching how intense and physical the performance was tonight, there is a concern for me that the rate of attrition will be high as the games start coming thicker and faster.

Arnold 7 - lost a point for the Yeovil goal at the end, which I think he could have done more to parry away or hold. Up until then, he was immense. Pulled off a ridiculous save in each half and commanded his area well.
JD 8 - excellent performance and leadership, driving the team forward. The lack of pace still gets laid bare on occasion and thought his crossing could have been better, but he was superb tonight. Nice to see him claim a goal!
Lopata 8 - swept up and won pretty much every ball, whether in the air or on the floor.
Hobson 7 - a very solid performance, nothing looked like getting by him and operated well as a wide centre half, often running beyond JD to good effect.
Ralph 7 - didn't seem at the races first half alongside Clifford, but something clicked second half and they began working well together, with Ralph often passing to TC and then running beyond him to offer an option moving forward. Yeovil couldn't cope with it.
Clifford 8 - was a bit concerned about him first 20 minutes as he just didn't seem up to speed, but again, he really grew into the game and was superb after that. Got up and down the line brilliantly and put in some awesome crunching (and accurate) tackles over on the East side. Good to see him bag a goal, but would like to see better/more consistent crossing and dead ball delivery.
Atkinson 7 - thought he had a very good first half, seemed to be everywhere and showed some good tackling and passing ability. Hope it's not an extended period out as he is just coming into form.
Neal 9 MOM - that was like prime Kevin Maher reincarnated. Seemed to be absolutely everywhere and at the heart of everything we did attacking-wise. Snapped at heels and played the simple balls, moving and switching play expertly. Shame to collect another booking, but I thought it was harsh. This boy is exactly what we needed in the middle though.
Dalby 7 - would like to see him carry more of a goalscoring threat and win more in the air for his height, but he is a really important component of the pressing game with his ridiculous effort and energy levels which were really on display tonight. Holds the ball up well at his feet too.
Murphy 7 - another energetic performer and important cog in the press. Very unlucky to rattle the crossbar from a well-worked corner in the first half.
Dennis 8 - he is a completely different player under the guidance of the management team. Pace and energy in abundance. Absolutely vital as an outlet when we get the ball away after defending a corner/free-kick, and the speed with which he pressed the Yeovil defence scared the life out of them. Can sometimes be a bit leaden-footed with the ball at his feet in dangerous areas, but superb driving run with the ball into the Yeovil box to create Clifford's goal.

Subs:
Ferguson 6 - felt like we lost a bit of energy in the middle when he replaced Atkinson but he is strong and physical which kept things shored-up in there.
Rush 5 - didn't have an awful lot of time to do anything and still gets pushed off the ball a bit too easily for my liking.
Kensdale 5 - ditto with lack of time, but looks composed with ball at feet. Slotted into an interesting spot in front of the defence rather than in it. Will be interesting to see how his role takes shape going forward.

Biggest smile on my face coming away from Roots Hall in bloody ages. Loved the way Roots Hall was rocking and getting behind the lads. Even the East was loud, so you know the boys entertained! Onto Daggers and then three huge league games against King's Lynn, Aldershot and Dover before the end of January with confidence.

Last edited:
First of all, we didn't just beat a strong physical Yeovil side, managed by someone who sounded like Joe Pasquale, but we also defeated a very incompetent referee.

Man of the match goes to Kev and Currie who not only are getting a tune out of this team, but tonight their game management was first class. The passion of both at the final whistle was evident and transformed onto the team.

Here are my ratings:

Arnold 6 - made a couple of fantastic point blank saves (including one flagged off anyway) but cost a clean sheet dropping a late one under his body from distance and on occasions punched when he could have caught it.

Demetriou 8 - gets a lot of stick but this was best performance for a long time. Got forward on the right to support the front line and stuck into a back 5 when required. Solid performance capped off with a deflected goal.

Hobson 7 - had a decent game at the back making some important clearances. Another solid display.

Ralph 7 - a really good outlet on the left side of defence giving balance and linking up well with Clifford. Made a stupid challenge near the end which could have been costly but overall decent effort.

Lapota 9 - outstanding. Won everything and bossed the back line superbly. How he was missed when injured. Has a big future as a top defender in the game in the EFL.

Clifford 8 - solid performance who like JD got forward when required and tucked in defensively. Got on the score sheet after fine work by Dennis.

Atkinson 7 - only managed the first half but put in some great defensive blocks alongside Neal. Maher is getting a tune out of his old legs.

Neal 8 - A solid person his home debut, putting himself about, winning many tackles to break up play and displayed a great range of short and diagonal passes. Great addition to the team, reminds me of a young Stevie Gerrard.

Dennis 7 - A constant menace to the Yeovil defense who took turns to take him down. Worked hard and takes credit for the second goal with a fantastic driving run and shot that fell into the path of Clifford for a tap in.

Murphy 6 - didn't get many opportunities and lost the ball a few times, but put in the work rate for the side.

Dalby 8 - excellent holding the ball up for the team, getting many important knock ons. Didn't get an opportunity to get a shot in but he has an important role in the side with everything going through him up top.

Subs:

Ferguson 6 - not as impressive as Neal or Atkinson but also put in a shift.

Rush 6 - not quite as switched on as Dennis but did enough to keep Yeovil concerned with his pace at the back when they tried to get back in the game.

Kensdale - not on long enough to score but slotted in at the back to get us over the line, making an important clearance at the death.

Holy ****. I don't know where to start after that. This is not the time to get carried away - there is plenty of work still to do and it won't be plain-sailing. But that is the most impressed and entertained I've been by a Southend performance in some three-and-a-half years. A really expansive, intelligent, organised, intense and physical performance. Mightily impressive.

The most pleasing thing was the press. It was done as a unit, in packs and was intense for around 75 minutes. It pushed the team higher up the pitch and Yeovil didn't have an answer for it. I can't remember the last time I was genuinely able to say "the opposition couldn't live with us".

There is a game plan and a shape and full credit to Kev, Daz and Benno for the insane work they are doing on the training ground getting a tune out of these boys. For the first time in forever, our players look like they know exactly what is expected of them and look willing to do it. A long way to go yet, but a corner is most definitely being turned. I think we will definitely need some more options to come in, as after watching how intense and physical the performance was tonight, there is a concern for me that the rate of attrition will be high as the games start coming thicker and faster.

Arnold 7 - lost a point for the Yeovil goal at the end, which I think he could have done more to parry away or hold. Up until then, he was immense. Pulled off a ridiculous save in each half and commanded his area well.
JD 8 - excellent performance and leadership, driving the team forward. The lack of pace still gets laid bare on occasion and thought his crossing could have been better, but he was superb tonight. Nice to see him claim a goal!
Lopata 8 - swept up and won pretty much every ball, whether in the air or on the floor.
Hobson 7 - a very solid performance, nothing looked like getting by him.
Ralph 7 - didn't seem at the races first half alongside Clifford, but something clicked second half and they began working well together, with Ralph often passing to TC and then running beyond him to offer an option moving forward.
Clifford 8 - was a bit concerned about him first half as he just didn't seem up to speed, but again, somebody flicked a switch second half because he was superb after that. Got up and down the line superbly and put in some awesome crunching (and accurate) tackles over on the East side. Good to see him bag a goal, but would like to see better/more consistent crossing and dead ball delivery.
Atkinson 7 - thought he had a very good first half, seemed to be everywhere and showed some good tackling and passing ability. Hope it's not an extended period out as he is just coming into form.
Neal 9 MOM - that was like prime Kevin Maher reincarnated. Seemed to be absolutely everywhere and at the heart of everything we did attacking-wise. Moved the ball and switched play expertly. Shame to collect another booking, but I thought it was harsh. This boy is exactly what we needed in the middle though.
Dalby 7 - would like to see him carry more of a goalscoring threat and win more in the air for his height, but he is a really important component of the pressing game with his energy levels and this was really on display tonight. Holds the ball up well at his feet too.
Murphy 7 - another energetic performer and important cog in the press. Very unlucky to rattle the crossbar from a well-worked corner in the first half.
Dennis 8 - he is a completely different player under the guidance of the management team. Pace and energy in abundance. Absolutely vital as an outlet when we get the ball away after defending a corner/free-kick, and the speed with which he pressed the Yeovil defence scared the life out of them. Can sometimes be a bit leaden-footed with the ball at his feet in dangerous areas, but superb driving run with the ball into the Yeovil box to create Clifford's goal.

Subs:
Ferguson 6 - felt like we lost a bit of energy in the middle when he replaced Atkinson but he is strong and physical which kept things shored-up in there.
Rush 5 - didn't have an awful lot of time to do anything and still gets pushed off the ball a bit too easily for my liking.
Kensdale 5 - ditto with lack of time, but looks composed with ball at feet. Slotted into an interesting spot in front of the defence rather than in it. Will be interesting to see how his role takes shape going forward.

Onto Daggers and then three huge league games against King's Lynn, Aldershot and Dover before the end of January with confidence!
Not far from my judgement!

Great result and for the first time in as long as I can remember, I felt genuine pride in the team. A southend united side to get behind.

The ref was atrocious and some of his decision making was mind blowing.

Arnold 7 pulled of a couple of great saves but will be very dissapointed with the goal he conceded.

Demetriou 8 I honestly thought he was shot. He now looks like a new player. Yes he lacks pace but he is still cutting it and this was one of his best games in an age.

Lapata 7.5 he is a very classy player with a bright future. A real athlete and has a long EFL career ahead of him.

Hobson 7.5 solid. Wins headers. Some wayward passes but got forward often to give an option

Ralph 7.5 a real solid performance. Offers so much in defence and attack. Has a real leap on him too.

Clifford 7. Started poorly but improved throughout and his control and crossing are excellent at this level.

Neal 7.5 Did all of the dirty work and looked composed and assured. Excellent distribution when under pressure.

Atkinson 7.5. Looks like the old Atkinson of years gone by. A real workman like performance and its hard to believe this is the same player from a few games ago. Hope he isnt injured.

Murphy 7. Didn't quite click tonight but he battled gamely without any protection from the ref. Another I hope isn't injured.

Dalby 8. Fantastic performance. His close control is exceptional ans often makes things look so easy. His place in the front three is essential to its success.

Dennis 8.5 MOTM. Tough call as there were so many positive performances. MDs pace is outrageous and he has loads of skill. He is young and will improve. A really bright future lies ahead. He is a complete defenders nightmares.

The crowd. Really good support for the team tonight. Shame that the best performance for a while was witnessed by a lower crowd. 4800 in attendance. A few more performances like that and we will soon see regular 6k +

Not remotely bothered by the FA trophy and it's time to play the fringe players Saturday and concentrate on the league.

Last edited:
Really feels like we’ve turned a corner. Hats off to Kev and team, we’re playing so much better. The 3-4-3 looks to suit us so well.

Thought we were by far the better team and 2-1 flattered them a bit in all honesty. Could and probably should have been a bigger margin. Demi and Clifford were excellent and I really like the look of Neal. Don’t think anyone had a bad game.

On to the next and feeling strangely positive. Great night all in all.

Oh and Matty Dennis is absolutely ****ing mustard.

Arnold - 8 - He just gives so much confidence at the back. A few quality saves, including one from point blank range that was offside, but still!

Ralph - 7 - Back to his usual self, solid and got forward quite a bit. Still amazes me how high he can jump.
Lopata - 8 - So glad he’s back, solid as a rock and hard as nails. Very reliable as always.
Hobson - 7.5 - A great game from Hobson. I’ve been one of his larger critics at times but he looks good alongside Kacper.
Clifford - 8 - Grew into the game and made some lovely runs forward unmarked. Finished off with a goal for his efforts.
Demetriou - 9 (MOM) - Best game I’ve seen from JD in a long time. He was absolutely everywhere. Got himself a goal, and didn’t stop all game. For those that have said his legs are gone in the past… tonight was evidence that’s not the case!

Atkinson - 7.5 - Played really well again today, he seems to have got his game back with a good run in the side. Plenty of energy just what is needed in the middle.
Neal - 8 - He’s definitely not the fastest but he’s such a clever player, a few lovely balls through, and he doesn’t shy away from a tackle either.

Dennis - 9 - How nice is it to have a player with electric pace in the team? He must scare the living daylight out of defenders. A huge asset and glad he’s getting a run in the team, literally!

Dalby - 7 - Thought he struggled to get into the game and not a lot really came off for him today. A couple of nice passes, but not much else of note.
Murphy - 6.5 - He gets a lot of chances but of late he’s not looked quite right. Perhaps it’s a confidence thing, hopefully his next goal is just around the corner to put him back on track!

Subs:

Ferguson - 7 - He came on and done okay. Not sure he’s quite as effective as Atkinson in that role as he’s not quite as willing to put a shift in but done okay.
Rush - 6 - For someone coming on to prove themselves I’d like to see him put a bit more of a shift in and close defenders down quicker. He done okay but didn’t do enough to stake a claim to be nearer the starting spots for me.
Kensdale - 7 - Slotted in at the back and made a few clearances… not enough time to make an impact but done what was asked of him… good for him to get some minutes after a bit of a wait!

Post above says it as well but yes I'd play Walsh rush phillips kensdale Davies seaden coulson etc Saturday.

Rest up for next 3

Echo what others have said - best performance for at least 3 years.

MOM for me was Neal by a mile - it would have been nice to have been able to keep Brunt as well, but of the 2 Neal is what we need right now (and this is no slight on Brunt, who did well for us).

Fantastic performance tonight, the only potential fly in the ointment is that it was Harrison Neal’s second booking for us and I think he was already on 8 for the season so I think that may be a 2 game suspension.

Hope I’m wrong!

Echo what others have said - best performance for at least 3 years.

MOM for me was Neal by a mile - it would have been nice to have been able to keep Brunt as well, but of the 2 Neal is what we need right now (and this is no slight on Brunt, who did well for us).
Completely agree. By an absolute country mile. He hardly lost the ball all night and kept our tempo up. Really like the look of this lad.

There are some very good match reports on the thread, it appears we all watched the same game, same players and same action.
Yeovil are a good "yard stick" to measure use by, and we passed muster by a good margin.
The first half especially was, as already posted, the best for too many seasons, a 100% team display.
All in all that was much better than the score line suggests.
And it was a very well drilled 3 4 3, Never a 5 across the back, but an attacking a formation as any we have had since the glory days of Tilly and Brush.
Matt Dennis? the "new" Britt Assombolonga! He needs a song now ~ over to you TBV.

Well that makes a refreshing change. A brilliant team performance, Roots Hall in great voice, a management team driving the team forwards and to top it off a passing hello to 2 of my top 5 strikers of all time at the Hall (Collymore and Crowny). All in all a thoroughly enjoyable evening. A few more of those this season and I’ll be a happy man.

Back