• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Post-Match Thread and Ratings Southend United 2-1 Yeovil Town

Lost count how many times the ref got in the way
A little stat.
Mr Quelch has refereed nine times in the NL this season and has doled out 32 yellow cards - and three reds.
That's an average of 3+ for every game.
It suggests he's either got a firm grip on matches, or he loses it pretty early on.
Take yer pick.

The most pleasing thing was the press. It was done as a unit, in packs and was intense for around 75 minutes. It pushed the team higher up the pitch and Yeovil didn't have an answer for it. I can't remember the last time I was genuinely able to say "the opposition couldn't live with us".

T
Did Chris Phillips get a game then?! :Whistling:

We now appear to have what it takes-after 2 consecutive wins-to escape the relegation dogfight.The question now is without further new signings this season,do we have what it takes?

We are short in the midfield, without Neal it is hard to see who can play that role in the rest of our options. Neal's suspension for 2 games and being cup tied for Daggers will necessitate someone stepping out, but who?

Good night all round. As we had missed our Christmas games there was a buzz in the pub well before KO.

The game was a great example of Football is a team game. Most of us had forgotten that over the last 3 years. Pace, intent and some pride at the back means it would be hard to give an MOM. All though the lad with the all black kit in the middle of the park broke up several moves at vital times you might have to edge towards Harrison Neal.

He is much more than the perceived NLS Deegan/Timlin, loves a yellow type player. If you want the luxury of RM, SD and Dennis the Menace then you need a Neal/fully fit Atkinson type CM's to cover that.

Shout out to Tom Clifford. Had some tough times and great to see him out there and grabbing a well deserved goal. Best of luck to you young man.

Last edited:
Yes, this is superb. The only thing I have ever known Southend fans to demand from players over the years is pride and passion in wearing the shirt. Win, lose or draw if they gave 100% then there is nothing more expected.

That has been missing for a number of years now but when you see even the three loanees giving their all you know that passion is returning. And lets be honest, there is nothing better than supporting a team that has been in the doldrums (understatement of the year) and you start to see the green shoots of recovery. Very much reminds me of the feeling I had around 2003/4 when Tilson and Brush came in and reenergised the whole club. Now I hope those words won’t haunt me in a few months time!

Maybe it’s me but I thought Arnold was a definite contender for man of the match. Yes he had that shot spin off his body and go in and he won’t be happy about that , but he did some great saves, two at least brilliant AND it was his great kick that resulted in our first goal.

I thought he was immense. He gives me so much confidence and I would imagine the defence fe the same.

Maybe it’s me but I thought Arnold was a definite contender for man of the match. Yes he had that shot spin off his body and go in and he won’t be happy about that , but he did some great saves, two at least brilliant AND it was his great kick that resulted in our first goal.

I thought he was immense. He gives me so much confidence and I would imagine the defence fe the same.
One brilliant 2nd half save compensates for Arnold’s later calamitous error.
He does generally inspire confidence but not when he decides to punch,feebly,when completely unchallenged.
Demetriou,still a very good RB and captain,was undoubtedly man-of-the-match.

Unfortunately the first half save cannot be included in any rating assessment, due to it being offside - sorry ?

On a serious note, I think he commands his area well and a couple of people mentioned he should have caught a couple, rather than punch, but if you have any doubts you won't safely catch it, then punching is the right call.

Easy to say from the stand he should be catching them - don't think any were easy catches!!

Unfortunately the first half save cannot be included in any rating assessment, due to it being offside - sorry ?

On a serious note, I think he commands his area well and a couple of people mentioned he should have caught a couple, rather than punch, but if you have any doubts you won't safely catch it, then punching is the right call.

Easy to say from the stand he should be catching them - don't think any were easy catches!!
It doesn't help when the ball is slippery from the ground and rain too, I got worried every time the ball was shot at him with power, it was inevitable one was going to be fumbled because of it being wet.

It doesn't help when the ball is slippery from the ground and rain too, I got worried every time the ball was shot at him with power, it was inevitable one was going to be fumbled because of it being wet.
Indeed. I think the conditions dictated his actions.

Help Wanted???? Did anybody at the match last night video the scoreboard at kick-off time when the list of sadly departed Former Players and Supporters was shown possibly from the South Stand?.The video does not have to be complete because I am looking for in particular the names of Stanley Cornwell & Terry Cornwell who were cousins and like me former class mates at Great Wakering Secondary School back in the 1960's. The footage is wanted by me on behalf of Terry's family who attended the match but lost out on the footage when a supporter who arrived slightly late walked past them and blocked out those names at that particular time. "Many Thanks"

Naturally, there was lots of positives last night. Rightly so and well deserved they are too!

Things that, dare I say it, excited me about the performance last night wasn't just the result. I think it was evident that for the first time in years we had a game plan and one that could very well be our template going forwards.

The players suited the 343 and, although that system may change in the future, it was refreshing to witness a back 3 being deployed and used effectively both in attack and defence. There are several reasons why this worked, one of which was the tempo at which we moved the ball. Not only did we move it well, we didn't just stand off and watch the player on the ball deal with it. There was a fantastic amount of support for the man in possession. The overlapping wide central defenders was a great example of this. It happened time and time again in the first half particularly and it gave Yeovil too much to deal with in the wide areas as we simply outnumbered them.

The mix of the front 3 was very good as well. All of them bring something different to the forward line, but it is Dennis and the threat he carries with his speed that gives defenders something else to think about rather than dealing with Murphy & Dalby who like the ball with their back to goal and don't have the pace to go in behind.

Overall, a great team performance and one that had a coaches stamp all over it. We looked like a well coached team and there is no higher praise for Maher, Currie & Bentley than that. I'm really looking forward to Saturday and beyond to see if we can continue to try and replicate AND improve on that type of performance. The results will not always be in our favour, but to see the team try and play in a way that represents Maher, Currie & Bentley and, furthermore, Southend United could be the first real green shoot to a better future.

As @Welly7 posts, the coaching and style of play was very much down to The Three Amigos. In the first half Darren Currie was very much the conductor from the sides, pulling JD both wide and forward, reminding him of the role required of him
DC did the same 2nd half with TC, AND imo got the best from both by the coaching and imparting of confidence, in getting two players who are predominately full backs to becoming wide, support, up and down flank, midfielders.

Can only agree with all the positives highlighted thus far. The confidence in the side and the existence of a game plan is evidenced by movement of the ball along the ground and the huge fall in the number of pointless passes back to the keeper from the halfway line, the minute the ball is received (what I like to call "An Elvis Special"). Yeovil were a big side but we controlled the game especially in the first half. As for Matt Dennis - do I detect a Collymore-esque buzz of excitement going through the crowd each time he gets the ball. Arnold's slip came after a magnificent one-handed save from close quarters and my faith in him as a goalkeeper remains unshaken - top man. Murph had more chances of which he should have converted one, but there were no slackers out there. We deserved all three points, absolutely.

One final note to the exhuberant (****ed) fan in the East Stand who regaled the crowd with a continual barrage of "Everywhere we go, everywhere we go, everywhere we go, everywhere we go, everywhere we go, everywhere we go, everywhere we go, everywhere we go, everywhere we go, everywhere we go, everywhere we go, everywhere we go, everywhere we go, everywhere we go, everywhere we go, everywhere we go, everywhere we go etc.etc.etc" can I just point out that "It's the Southend Boys makin' all the noise" comes after every third line........not every15th or 30th!! Any chance you could either learn the ****ing song or go to the West Stand where someone, I'm sure, will teach you. West Stand sing, East stand clap and stamp.

As @Welly7 posts, the coaching and style of play was very much down to The Three Amigos. In the first half Darren Currie was very much the conductor from the sides, pulling JD both wide and forward, reminding him of the role required of him
DC did the same 2nd half with TC, AND imo got the best from both by the coaching and imparting of confidence, in getting two players who are predominately full backs to becoming wide, support, up and down flank, midfielders.

I noticed the same thing with Currie, he was constantly on at Clifford and Demi pulling them wider and more forward than they were probably used to as full backs predominantly.
Currie has been an absolute revelation, he shows so much passion during and after the game!

Help Wanted???? Did anybody at the match last night video the scoreboard at kick-off time when the list of sadly departed Former Players and Supporters was shown possibly from the South Stand?.The video does not have to be complete because I am looking for in particular the names of Stanley Cornwell & Terry Cornwell who were cousins and like me former class mates at Great Wakering Secondary School back in the 1960's. The footage is wanted by me on behalf of Terry's family who attended the match but lost out on the footage when a supporter who arrived slightly late walked past them and blocked out those names at that particular time. "Many Thanks"
Dave, I expect that you already know but they are both in the full pager of names in the programmes for the Bromley game and last night’s game.

Dave, I expect that you already know but they are both in the full pager of names in the programmes for the Bromley game and last night’s game.
Thanks for that, yes I have a few copies of each programme for the family but still hope that somebody on here will have it on their phone. Take Care and "Stay Safe"

Well I’ve finally had 5 minutes to myself after yesterdays game.

I haven’t left Roots Hall with a smile like that in a long long time! The first 30 minutes it could’ve been anyones game, but as soon as we scored Yeovil did a Southend of late and their heads dropped and they just weren’t in it. The didn’t deserve the goal and the score flatters them. They weren’t terrible but we just played better than they did. Some excellent football on display and some outstanding performances from the likes of Demi, Neal and Clifford.

Really am impressed with how we have come on and hope we continue this. 3 or 4 more wins and we should be safe. It wouldn’t surprise me and I know I’m probably just jumping the gun but I reckon we will finish mid table.

Back