• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Evening Echo

The News
CONOR McLaughlin’s last minute header handed struggling Fleetwood Town a 2-2 draw at Southend United this afternoon.

More...

southend united 2-2 fleetwood town

your views here
thumbs%20up%20new%20aug%202010.gif

I can see some train tracks through some trees from my living room window.

Dreadful game, the best entertainment was the idiot hysterical manager of theirs

Players not up for it apart from Worrell,at half time the only play stat on bbc we led was fouls commited.How we managed to get back into the lead was a shock when playing so poorly,then to throw it away after bringing on a defender was*****.If this is a sign of the effect of a possible Brown departure it must be affecting contract talks and could make the next managers job a lot harder.

2 points thrown away by Brown and his negative tactics of taking Worrall off and White on which straight away invited them to attack us when only a goal ahead!!!:thumbdown::angry:

total and utter crap , lucky to get the draw- I don't think anyone in the stadium can have been surprised when they equalized. I can take the fact we didn't win, but I cant accept performances like that

Overall a fair result. The worrying thing is that we always look like conceding goals, we never look that tight at the back. Even a team like Fleetwood could easily have scored four today. We really need some better quality defenders to start next season.

Classic Brown move, how many two points have we lost through it this year when leading. Many do it , it seems to be the way the game is played and thought tactically clever.

To be fair, they brought off a defender for an attacking midfielder, Brown counteracted ( or at least tried ) by going to 4 at the back. The problem was, and the management were telling them, we were defending too deep.
When will we ever learn:nope:

I wasn't there today so can't comment or judge much , but taking off a forward and bringing on a defender in the last few minutes when leading ( even by 1 goal ) is hardly a tactical no-no. In fact I would go as far as saying it's quite standard practice.
Kick Brown by all means for other things , but not this.

This was one of those games you just want to get out of your system and move on.

So the first half. Fleetwood probably came nearest to scoring, contriving to hit the post when it looked easier to score from where I was sitting. Stephen Mclaughlin looked a lot fitter than of late and looked effective going forward and also getting back to defend when necessary. It was a bit weird watching him up against Conor Mclaughlin, the Fleetwood full back. Lenny showed snatches of what we have been missing in his injured absence and Barrett and Worrall also deserve a first half mention. I would like to say upbeat things about the rest of the team, including Payne, but the words just won’t come I’m afraid, it was that unmemorable. And there ended the first Half.

15 minutes of relatively pleasant refreshment later the second half kicked off. It pretty much followed the pattern of the first 45 minutes. Neither side looking as if they really wanted to win, until the 53[SUP]rd[/SUP] minute when Grant lashed in a delightful goal to put Fleetwood 1-0 up. Even after that the game continued to under achieve and you kind of thought that was it on the goal front. Just when it looked as if it would end with a Fleetwood win, up pops Adam Barrett to bury a header into the Fleetwood net. Cue a flurry of Southend enthusiasm but not too much final product. Passes were going astray with regularity. So, 1-1, we probably just about deserved that, then bugger me up pops Payne to increase his value in the transfer market with a rasping drive on 82 minutes. We probably didn’t deserve to win but no one was complaining with 8 minutes to hang on. True to form in the 90[SUP]th[/SUP] minute Fleetwood slung in a deep cross to the back post and we defended like we normally do from that situation and 2-2 it was. That's me done until Bradford as we have a family commitment for the Oldham game. Maybe a rest will rejuvenate my enthusiasm.

PS - Anyone think Barnett was carrying an injury today? He really didn't look as if he fancied it at all.

Last edited:
The problem was, we couldn't hold the ball, we were defending (badly) too deep. Not sure what happened to Deegan second half but he was giving the ball away, standing off, dropping too deep and then making clumsy challenges. Even 'Super' Jack was too deep and giving the ball away well into our own half, down our right.

We were just inviting pressure, I did think (their opening wonder strike apart) that their finishing was so bad we might just get away with it, but no such luck.

Back