• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

manor15

Super Moderator⭐⭐
Staff member
First half was absolutely woeful, second was probably close to Blackburn for best we've played this season. All over the place defensively, no movement, constantly going sideways or a long ball to Ranger, they got very lucky with the first goal off Ranger's tag but the first half was very poor.

Second half was hugely improved, we had energy and movement and actually seemed to want it for the first time. No killer finishing but that was all that was really missing. Promising half but still work to do.

Oxley 7 Not a lot to do, couldn't be blamed for the goals, good communicating
Demetriou 8 Possibly the best I've seen him play, solid defensively and good deliveries
Ferdinand 6 A few mis-kicks and misjudgements but generally okay
Kyprianou 7 Did Ferdinand's running for him, good in the air and pace was inportant
Timlin 5 80% of his passes were massively over hit, pulled out of position at left back
Yearwood 6 In the Atkinson role but drifted far too central, lost his head before the sub but needed someone to put an arm around him and calm him down
Leonard 7 Not a lot came off for him, occasionally looked to drive forwards
Wordsworth 7 Quiet but superb run and finish for the goal and did well considering the circumstances
McLaughlin 7 More like his form of last season, tired as he game went on, only one with much credit first half
Ranger 7 First half was poor, partly down to having the ball hoofed up to him, second half he was much better with some smart flick ons and was good in the air
Cox 6 Like his whole season, very frustrating and often too deep

Subs
McGlashan 6 Quiet, pace but lacks end product
Hendrie 4 Looked like a competition winner, way off the pace, behind play, poor passing and crossing, dived into tackles
Robinson 8 Best he's played this season, his pace and energy out wide was crucial and they couldn't handle him

Fleetwood will be a very tough test but if we play like we did in the second half with Kightly in the side and Cox in better form and we will do alright.

A point is a good point after that woeful first half display. How we've missed someone like Woody in the middle of the park. Can't wait till he is back at 100% putting performances like that in every week again.

I am still slightly concerned though, that's not one win in eight.. one win in three home games (two of which we've drawn against weaker opposition after beating the leagues best outfit). We need to start turning these draws in to wins and soon.

First half, two very bang average teams and embarrassingly we was the worse one. Again no speed or pace in attacks, attacking intent only to slow down, stop and play sideways/backwards or the long ball to ranger who to be fair wins most challenges but not the football which will gain us results/promotion. We lack basic movement to offer options and consequently we result to the long ball. Mclaughin first half made decent runs and woody placing some pin point passing. We need to be attacking with speed like last year and put in dangerous crosses for active strikers. Second half was a cracking response scoring within quick succession and shows we can play the football. Just need to play it for 90 minutes

Match report: Southend United 2, Northampton Town 2

TWO goals in the space of three second half minutes saw Southend United fight back to secure a 2-2 draw with Northampton Town this afternoon.

More...

I just heard that we now have less points than at the same point last season...

No that is S**T !!

We really need to buck our ideas up. Yes, Ranger to blame for the 1st goal, but if we had some decent defenders he wouldn't have been on guard duty.

Fleetwood away next up, cannot see how we can win that at the moment. Another miserable result. Now more to say!

We really need to buck our ideas up. Yes, Ranger to blame for the 1st goal, but if we had some decent defenders he wouldn't have been on guard duty.

That seems a very harsh complaint, Ranger is perfectly capable of kicking a ball and that's all you need to do on the post, he just lost his footing, you can't account for something as fluky as that.

Unlike the posters #1-4 I didn't think the first half was too bad (apart from the score!) and that it reflected our season to date; we had a great chance which Nile back passed to their keeper, Cox hit a great volley which their keeper parried over and Demi had a good shot deflected wide, we played (and overplayed) like a team low on confidence and bereft of any luck. Cobblers scored from a twice deflected nothing corner and then got a sharp low good shot from distance that was their only quality moment.
2nd half and PB must have changed his half time talk as we suddenly looked "up" and played with a nothing to lose readiness. 2 good goals, MacL should have buried a header and we were the best side by a distance.
As for the team and ratings;- EVERYMAN worked and worked, no duffers and young Harry and Dru did not look like apprentices.
PB made, IMO, fair substitutes; Woody and Dru were nursing hamstrings.
Theo, Flash and Hendrie made good cameo appearances too.

WE DESERVED TO WIN!

UTB!

It was dire in the first half and not much better in the 2nd, lot of hit and hope and more hope Ranger could get away from his marker, at least he was not pushed off the ball so much. As some one said it would be good for a forward to score. All from IFollow

Unlike the posters #1-4 I didn't think the first half was too bad (apart from the score!) and that it reflected our season to date; we had a great chance which Nile back passed to their keeper, Cox hit a great volley which their keeper parried over and Demi had a good shot deflected wide, we played (and overplayed) like a team low on confidence and bereft of any luck. Cobblers scored from a twice deflected nothing corner and then got a sharp low good shot from distance that was their only quality moment.
2nd half and PB must have changed his half time talk as we suddenly looked "up" and played with a nothing to lose readiness. 2 good goals, MacL should have buried a header and we were the best side by a distance.
As for the team and ratings;- EVERYMAN worked and worked, no duffers and young Harry and Dru did not look like apprentices.
PB made, IMO, fair substitutes; Woody and Dru were nursing hamstrings.
Theo, Flash and Hendrie made good cameo appearances too.

WE DESERVED TO WIN!

UTB!

Totally agree, and good summary.

JD should have got MOM as he had a very good game. I like Dru as well, has a lot of strength and happy to take players on, I'll be very surprised if he sees out his 4 year contract!!

Just when you think we are in for a stuffing, and at 0-2 down it didn't look good, we come out second half and have a purple patch scoring 2 goals with only 77 seconds between the two. Great to see Wordy strutting his stuff including his goal, good to see Nile last another 90 minutes, impressive to see us restore some pride after the first 45 minutes, and best of all for me, great to see Demi have a really impressive match. Jason was my MoM. I'm really pleased he scored, but apart from his goal his shooting is sh!te though:smiles:. Other stuff that impressed me was Lenny's non stop action man performance, although it was spoiled by some wasteful final balls at times. Poor Simon Cox's nightmare season continues and it really isn't down to lack of effort as he worked his nuts off, but he and Nile looked on different wave lengths when it came to working together. I genuinely believe his form will return however, as he is far too good a player to be down for long.

Northampton were an ok side, and their 400+travelling fans out of the 6.5k gate made a lot of noise the whole game. Overall a draw was probably a fair result. Other observations? Both Yearwood and Timlin need to learn to shut up and not get totally unnecessary yellow cards. And of course, a special mention for their No 22, Crooks. He got on my tits the whole 90 minutes time wasting and generally being an arse piece. Never was a red card more richly deserved.

And so on to Fleetwood.....................

Last edited:
The most obvious thing about the first half was Lady Luck. Once again she turned up wearing the colours of our opponents. So, despite having the better of the play we never got a lucky break. They did with their first goal that somehow went in via Ranger. Their keeper pulled off a top stop from Cox. Nothing went our way. And to cap it all, they got a second at the end of the half. The sense of frustration in my normally sleeping corner of the East Greens was rapidly becoming audible (albeit the crash of seats as many left for their half time burger early).

I was watching a team with no confidence, bereft of idea, who desperately needed something to happen for them.

Fortunately, Lady Luck was reading my mind and put on a blue shirt for the first time this season at half time. She played a major part in Dimi's equaliser as the ball took a whopping deflection en route to the goal (if it had been in the first half, or any other previous game, that would have ended up in the stand). And then, Ranger won a magnificent headed dual, the bounce landed at the feet of Wordsworth who slotted home. From then on, only one team in it.

I will begrudgingly nod towards Northampton's defence, who frustrating as it was played one of the best offside traps I've seen outside the top flight. They played so high, it made it very difficult to play over them or through them.

We didn't win, but I think we saw the turning point of our season. After weeks of having nothing go for us, we got a break. "Burgled a goal" as I've said previously. Nile Ranger (can he play next week??) looked fit and did some brilliant holding up play, Dimi put in an excellent performance and despite having no distribution skills, Kyprianou defending manfully.

So, not all gloom and doom, just need to make sure Lady Luck hangs around for a while.

If ever there was a game of 2 halves this was it !!

Briefly, Dimitriou best i have seen him play, Kypriano very good prospect, Nile getting back to fitness and the player we know he can be, and last and not least Cox too deep...... sits back and waits for the puns!

Could be the turning point of the season though.

With Demi's goal I got the impression that all the pushing and handbags in the box before the kick was premeditated and did what it was intended to do in disrupting the defenders who forgot about closing down Demi!
Training ground ploy?
A;sp our corners were better.
AND Flash and Theo roasted their left back in the last 10 minutes; both looked "up" and lively.
Come on People, be more confident!

Wont describe the game again as previous posters have done that. My observations though.

Cox needs to learn to play off Ranger. Nile won so many flick ons and there was no one was there to benefit from them.
Players need to make themselves available for the ball as they tend to run away from the player in possession.
We need to learn some set plays whilst in possession (I dont mean set pieces).
We take too many touches of the ball when one will do.
We keep stopping forward moves only to pass sideways or backwards, this needs to stop.
Players need to take a gamble now and again and get into the box and anticipate the cross.

Demetriou easily MOM in my book he hardly made a mistake all game!

Wont describe the game again as previous posters have done that. My observations though.

Cox needs to learn to play off Ranger. Nile won so many flick ons and there was no one was there to benefit from them.
Players need to make themselves available for the ball as they tend to run away from the player in possession.
We need to learn some set plays whilst in possession (I dont mean set pieces).
We take too many touches of the ball when one will do.
We keep stopping forward moves only to pass sideways or backwards, this needs to stop.
Players need to take a gamble now and again and get into the box and anticipate the cross.

Demetriou easily MOM in my book he hardly made a mistake all game!

Looked wrong side of his man for their second goal... although apart from that did well.

I've often said about Timlin that I'd prefer him to play left back now and it's always good to have more than one leader on the pitch. But I think today he proved me wrong on both counts. It's okay to go for the difficult balls but you need to follow through with some return and that wasn't the case today and when you have a player that's making mistakes, and turning over possession is that really who you want to be taking guidance from?

Just to give my thoughts on other players briefly:

Demetriou - Looks to have gained confidence after playing on the left. Perhaps remembering there's a little more in his locker from his Orient days... My MoTM.

Yearwood - Our best player in the first half in my opinion. He'd turn and run at defenders and that's what we need, just hasn't got the stamina to play 90 minutes at that tempo.

Kyprianou - He got a fair bit of stick from where I was in the West and I'm not sure why. Revell is a bit of a handful for any defender, never mind an 18-year-old left back or winger that's playing centre back. I think he managed well.

Ranger - It's such a thankless task to challenge for headers and it's not made any easier when you look at what he was up against. However, we relied on that far too often...

Ferdinand - Great to see him more mobile.

Things could be on the up, but we're a point behind where we were last season... Who knows?

Last edited:
Woody makes such a difference. He is the only midfielder who will run forwards and join in with with strikers on a regular basis. Gives the opposition something else to worry about rather than keeping the front two with their backs to goal. Lenny & Tims are safe players in the centre. In possession they keep the ball moving to wide areas and then sit and hold their positions. With Woody out for so long, it might have been a better option to play Yearwood instead as he is someone who will run and penetrate from central areas too. Not having that impetus from the centre of midfield has been a big loss so far this season and, yes, its great to see Ranger back and we need defenders fit again asap, but make no mistake about it, Wordsworth is a special player for us - and that's as much for what he does off the ball as what he does with it.

Back