• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Post-Match Thread and Ratings Southend United 2-3 Aldershot Town

Brown I'm afraid showed he does not know this league. He has brought in players that he thinks will do what he wants but they are all ageing and can't always deliver. Tonight we were outfought and outrun by the worst side in the National League who have lost every match so far.

The performances of some of the senior pros tonight were not that of players who were playing for the manager. 6 games in and he may have taken this team as far as he can.

Last edited:
Holy s**t. I'm not sure if I can put my feelings into words.

Game goes 3-1 and the ground erupts with the same toxicity that we began to witness before COVID cut the 19-20 season short.

I'm getting that sinking feeling... No fitness, no pace, no creativity, no guile, no finishing quality. So what do we have?

Brown I'm afraid showed he does not know this league. He has brought in players that he thinks will do what he wants but they are all ageing and can't always deliver. Tonight we were outfought and outrun by the worst side in the National League who have lost every match so far.

The performances of some of the senior pro's tonight were not that of players who were playing for the manager. 6 games in and he may have taken this team as far as he can.
It really feels like it - its bizarre. Signs 6-7 players, and totally unravels by mid september. As I said earlier, really feels like he's left himself nowhere to go.

What on earth does he do now for Torquay, we've got no players left to try that arent under a bus, out in the cold or just not good enough.

The performances of some of the senior pro's tonight were not that of players who were playing for the manager. 6 games in and he may have taken this team as far as he can.
Take the central midfield for example:

Dunne - defensive
Ferguson - defensive
Ogogo - defensive
Atkinson - defensive
Phillips - attacking

So we have one attacking central midfielder with a bit of creativity in his locker and he drops him at home to ****ing Aldershot?! Am I missing something?

Simply no point in asking for Martin out as no one will buy the club with the debt that we sit on and despite all his failings and where he really screwed over Mark Molesley he’s clearly given some money to Phil Brown. Most of the team are Brown’s players and with the exception of Ralph who was excellent, Arnold who again showed his quality and one or two average performances elsewhere this team isn’t good enough. Complete lack of any tactical nous. It’s evident that Brown signings are old and slow and three at the back was needed to try and compensate. The game was crying out for Walsh to come on with his pace and we could see what he could do when he did but Brown left it far too late. Even if he wants Akinola gone, while we are paying him he should be on the pitch because Egbri apart from one pass that got into a dangerous area offers absolutely nothing going forward.

Yeah, keep a guy who kept us in the Championship, who's profile would attract players to the club well away from the club. And what's Tom Lawrence done wrong you idiot. Most engaging employee at the bloody club. Embarrassing comments.
get a hold of yourself, the mans a problem waiting to happen, the brain of a 5 year old kid.. freddie Eastwood won us Div 1 title, do you want him as owner too?

A sad sad day. I will always love the club for affording me the chance to live out my dream of representing the badge for 6 years of my life in the centre of excellence. Today is the first day that I have felt such apathy towards the club.

Brown got it all wrong today and it was very obvious from the first kick of the game when we passed it back to hobson who spooned it in the air to their centre half on his own. I like Hobson but his weaknesses are far too weak to be in a pair at the back. I would love someone to explain to me Browns game plan of playing a midfield today, if his only tactic is to bypass them EVERY time we get the ball at the back. Having played with and known Bridgey for many years, he has always been either an 8 or a 10 who plays between the lines and causes both the defence and midfield issues. What do we do? play him out wide and refuse to give him the ball to feet. Two centre midfielders, both not great on the ball so what is the point in having them both in there? I will always have a soft spot for Atkinson but his game was always his legs and his engine which have clearly gone. Why did Brown not move Bridgey inside so we have someone who is comfortable on the ball and get an outlet in walsh on earlier (who was excellent when he came on). Egbri was bright, but will always fall down with his end product which simply isnt good enough.

A separate paragraph is warranted for the strikers. I genuinely believe that we have one of the best strike forces in the league, and a duo who would do well in the football league with the right players behind them. Dalby's touch and presence is excellent coupled with the movement of Murphy which again I thought was very good today. Another question for anyone who thinks Brown has a clue what he is doing, why do we insist on lumping it up to two players who arent the most mobile when we have previously had success going round teams and getting to the byline for these two to feed off of in the box. Where are the tactics? I did not join in with the Martin chants at the end as tonight was simply not his fault. Brown has brought in 7 of the starting XI tonight and they were beaten by a very poor Aldershot side. Something has to change very quickly as we could be with Concord next season.

Ratings

Arnold 7 - Commanding, fills me with a good degree of confidence. Great communicator and not sure he had a chance with any of the goals.

Demi 3 - Useless, always liked Demi but I think his time is up. Sloppy in possession, terrible set pieces. What is going on with Elvis?

Hobson 4 - Wins a lot in the air but cannot use his feet for the life of him. Cannot be part of a 2 at the back as his weakness is amplified.

Coulson 5 - Looks a good presence and tidy, not sure we can blame him for the goal too badly as we allowed them to play down the side of us and no centre half wants to be in a foot race with a pacey forward.

Ralph 7 - MOM for me. Was a victim of playing it long a little too often, but unlike many of the others his often found its target and had some degree of finesse. Won everything in the air. Too good for us and certainly too good for this level.

Egbri 5 - Industrious and runs a lot, some neat dribbling at times. Will always fall victim to his poor end product.

Atkinson 3 - Ran around in circles all game and had no impact on proceedings.

Dunne 4 - Put himself about, think with agogo next to him he looks more comfortable. Still a lot of huffing and puffing with little influence in the middle of the park. Reminds me a touch of deegan, but deegan put himself about more and actually offered to take the ball from the back, neither centre mids did today.

Bridge 6 - Clearly one of our best players on the ball, wasted out wide today as Brown has clearly told the back 4 to lump it every time they get the ball.

Dalby 6 - Great presence and touch, looks a real player. Wont be with us for long if we keep going like this.

Murphy 7 - Like him a lot, never stops running and his movement off the ball is excellent. Will score a shed load of goals if we actually provide any sort of service.

Subs

White 2 - Same old John. I have often been a critic of White, I have a lot of respect for him and his service but he has been a regular in a side who have been relegated twice and shipped goals in for fun. I cannot remember seeing John White ever taking more than 2 touches, the first just in front and the second a hoof up field (which never reaches its target).

Walsh 7 - Exciting, dynamic and fast, everything Phil Brown seems to hate in a player. Came on and took people on immediately, getting to the byline and winning a corner. Looked strong and skilful, if he doesn't start getting starts soon I will be convinced it's because he isn't over 6 foot, 30+ and can actually run.

Rush 5 - Feel sorry for Rushy, comes on as a small nifty forward and his first involvement is a john white special straight up in the air against a 6 foot + non league centre half.

Brown 0 - Horrendous, shocking, tactically inept. Read above for my review. One thing that annoyed me about Brown tonight is after the game. He is quick to come to the press and blame everyone but himself but when we get a big crowd out at the Hall on a Tuesday night he doesn't even bother to walk round and thank the fans. Will always be fond of the memories of his last reign but i am sorry to say he hasn't got a clue.

Rubbish, frustrating and I think we will begin to see the crowds at the hall begin to fall dramatically in the coming months if that is the dross we are served up.
I agree.

Bridge should be playing as a 10, very creative and good on the ball who is more than capable to give our strikers a good service.

This was, sadly, predictable. The team sheet and subs made me wonder what PB was wishing and dreaming of.
Arnold, an okay gk, needs to distribute faster.
Demi, very poor, slow.
Hobson, okay but nervous.
Coulson, slow and was left exposed, badly, for pace having to cover Ralph's flank as he was up field.
Ralph, good left back but not a wing back or centre back.
Bridge, okay but AWOL a lot tonight.
Dunne, okay but a lonely figure and can't back up the forwards AND cover the backs.
Atko, runs about but wtf does he contribute? A robust Josh Wright or Mantom comparison? Why did we (PB) sign him?
Eggbri, tries and tries BUT nothing comes from it, NADA, NIL, Zip.Impact sub at most.
Murphy and Dalby! Two Nobby No Mates! No support and only thing they get is high long hit and hope balls.

I don't know the question BUT PB, JW, JD, And Atko aren't a positive answer. AND all are part of why we are so poor.

Rubbish..

RM is responsible for most of what is wrong with this club but he's not directly responsible for the past couple of weeks. This team gave the league favourites a good game ten days ago and now they're a ****ing joke, negative and devoid of belief . The main thing I can see that's changed in that time is a manager constantly spouting off in public about how **** they are. I actually like PB but I've no idea what he thinks he's doing atm. The fact that he stayed right by the dugout at the end and kept well away from the fans speaks volumes unfortunately. Not sure where we go from here and really miserable about it. UTB.

I often come back from a game and tell my wife that I've just watched the worst game of football I've ever seen. Its a bit of a running joke. Win, lose or draw I always say it.

Thing is, tonight it probably was.

When you consider the level we are now at, how **** Aldershot were and then, our performance, that's the worst game of football I have ever seen.

Ps. Brown out. If he couldn't see he needed to make changes earlier, I don't know what to tell you.

Recruitment has been poor. 8 permanent signings and not one sniff of creativity.

Not one player, even relative to our level that can pick a pass.

These really are sad times.

After the last 18 months, the club had the opportunity to really pull the community together. Now you can't even buy a program or get a reply to an email to the ticket office.

I've lived through the winding up orders, the **** news in the press. The relegations. But tonight, as I told my wife that it was the worst game of football I'd ever seen, I meant it.

And now. Now, I'm really really worried.

I’m angry, I’m disappointed, I’m upset and I really don’t know who to point the finger at. Ron, Phil or the Players? I just really don’t know when this **** is going to end?

Baffled by the fans clapping the players at the end after that pathetic performance. It’s like having a meal in a restaurant it tastes like **** and the service was awful and then tipping them afterwards.

Might I also note that Ron Martin shot off quickly in his Bentley tonight (at least I think it was him) could see the t**t's mop head from a mile out. Running away from his problems once again

This club is going the right way around alienating its' support on a permanent basis.

S**t football, s**t matchday services, s**t quality kits/merch. Just woeful.
I think this post cant be underestimated. I hear the club shop is a shambles, no 50/50 ticket offices closed on match days ,no program sellers, season tickets still not turned up for many, forgive me, but dont we have supporters groups that waste a couple of hours of their lives to blow smoke up RM and TL areses each month to cover off all this ****'?

and then of course there is the football...

Recruitment has been poor. 8 permanent signings and not one sniff of creativity.

Not one player, even relative to our level that can pick a pass.
I pretty much agree with all you have said here.

I really don't give a toss about being called a Brown Hater by some on here who will no doubt not post for a few days as is their normal modus operandi.

However I will stand up for Brown in that he wanted Holmes and I assume Brown thought he would have provided that creativity.

However he was over ridden by an owner who knows about as much about football as I know about quantum physics.

Back