• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Post-Match Thread and Ratings Southend United 2-3 Aldershot Town

I don't think Ron is trying to purposely destroy the club to build houses! If he really wanted to do that why appointment phil Brown? Why sign rhys Murphy? Why put any money into the club at all? Why not just appointment himself as manager and make sure we never win again?
I don't think Ron is deliberately trying to destroy the club but he is guilty of gross incompetence in his stewardship of the club. I also suspect he is delusional about how poorly he has run the club and how bad it's reputation is in the football world. Add to that the years and who knows how much money wasted in trying to build a ground that will be far too big for us whilst so many other clubs have built decent small stadiums during that time. I think he is a Walter Mitty type character living in a fantasy world who loves rubbing shoulders with 'big names'.

Last edited:
No decent player would want to sign for Southend,
You cannot guarantee to get paid on time and are always unsure when the club may go into liquidation. Is there anybody on Shrimperzone that would go for a job with a company that is always late paying HMRC with the threat of liquidation, A company that often does not pay its bills, a company that keeps its staff waiting sometimes weeks late for their salary.
I thought exactly this today when I heard we're supposed to be talking to a couple of players. I have no confidence that anyone who would want to join us will be any good.?

Just to cheer up my fellow males on here, I feel it worth mentioning that the male flea takes 6 to 8 hours to unfold all the different parts of its penis

Reactions: DCC
Unfortunately or fortunately, I live too far away to get to games, however as I wrote in a previous post today, that I was very concerned about this game, Aldershot had lost all five of their matches this season, four of these matches by one goal, the other one 2-0 to Chesterfield, at the the start of play today 4 of those 5 teams were in the top six of the National League, Aldershot had played better teams than SUFC!
They are a younger more mobile team, than SUFC are from what I have seen online,
According to most of the supporters who attended the game today, most of the Blues players should be in wheelchairs!
This result was not unexpected by myself, the stats were there for all to see, it would not surprise me to see Aldershot finish above Southend this season if this fiasco is allow to continue.

What gets me is in the warm up they play 5 against 5 in the confined space, and the movement and one touch passing is quite good. You have players wanting the ball and showing the skill a professional should have, As soon as the game starts they become statues and instead of passing on the ground just hoof.

Only 4 pluses in this team, Arnold, Bridge, Dalby, Ralph …….rest absolute paceless cripples , Phil Brown signings that will be fighting relegation as there is the usual negative set up under Tango…..may as well go now as he has returned more clueless than before.
Signing Atkinson said it all……paceless defence will get ripped apart every week and strikers will get no service from the sideways merchants that he has cobbled together. It was win win for him taking over from the equally useless Molesley but after tonight it shows how badly he has read this League……not sure what can be done either as you can try as hard as you like but if the pace isn’t there then it never will be, September 15th and what’s mess!
For some reason, I do not think the Chairman is going to be terribly patient with PB. He clearly expected much better results than this and I am not sure PB has very long to turn this around. Blaming players in public and accepting little of the responsibility for results is hardly a recipe for getting players to "show more character".

PB's post-match comments also seem confused. There seemed to be absolutely no recognition that Southend's midfield was second best throughout the game to Aldershot's and PB knows as well as anyone that Southend must dominate midfield to win games.

I am sure the team will improve when Abu Ogogo returns but it seems clear in any case that Southend will need a more creative play-maker in the centre of midfield whether it be Jack Bridge or someone else to supply the goal chances for Dalby and Murphy, two highly capable strikers.

Last edited:
He doesn't need a shiny new stadium, he needs shiny new homes

If there is no club left he will be able to build as many houses or flats as he likes on both plots of land.

He's not going to lose any sleep over us.

And this for me is where we are at…no longer a Championship / League 1 club with a status attached to that, no longer a real asset to market to anyone…. just an obstacle that has become a difficulty and needs removing to allow more housing…we are literally being run into the ground

I couldn't bring myself to post last night and this morning the feeling isn't much better. We started brightly, scored an incredibly lucky goal and at that stage I thought, hooray, we're going to turn this lot over. It didn't happen, we just stopped doing the easy things and started doing all the stuff we are sadly famous for, long aimless balls, an inability to keep the ball on the ground, and no end product. Result? We got worse and worse and a young Aldershot team had us for pace just about everywhere. Ok, that it on the match report, it was just too bloody painful and frustrating to watch. A quick few words on the Ref - Totally inept ****er.

I now fear for Saturday and Torquay.

10 minutes later - I'm so ****ed off, if anything it's worse than last night as I can't see how we are going to put this all right on the pitch.

Last edited:
Full report here:

SOUTHEND United manager Phil Brown was again left ruing ‘ a fundamental flaw’ in his side’s character following tonight’s shocking 3-2 defeat against Aldershot Town.

Shots ended a run of five successive defeats to record their first win of the season at Roots Hall.

And Brown was disappointed with how Blues reacted to conceding an equaliser in the first half.
“That basic fundamental flaw in our character whenever anyone lays a glove on us, we’ve got to get rid of,” said Brown.

“When the first goal went in and we took the lead I thought confidence levels would be raised and people would start expressing themselves.
“But we conceded a goal and again we go the other way in terms of motivation and the spirit that we showed.
“We go in level at half-time and the message to everyone was to get on the ball and to express themselves a bit more.”
But it was Aldershot who got on top after the break and soon took the lead after poor defensive play from the Shrimpers.

“The second goal goes in down the side of Josh Coulson and it’s an unforgiveable goal,” said the Blues boss.
“But am I going to stand here and slag the players off? No. “ However, Brown did feel the level of performance was not good enough for the club’s loyal supporters.
“The bottom line is that you’re looking at a group of players who have let the supporters down, myself included,” said Brown.
“I’m not going to blame the players, it includes me too.
“I changed the system and put players in the right positions and coming into the game I was confident we would create chances.”
But the Shrimpers rarely threatened against Shots and Brown fully understood the frustration of the supporters.
“The supporters have every right to be saying what they’re saying and doing what they’re doing, 100 per cent,” said Brown.
“The fans got behind the team in the first half but they got frustrated in the second.
“The reason for that frustration is the two or three years that we’ve had.

“I’m now firmly involved and I’m firmly responsible for tonight’s performance.
“It has to change and it has to change drastically.”
And Brown is keen to get back to the spirit he felt the Shrimpers showed towards the end of last season.
“The way we addressed the final six games of last season in a League Two campaign has got to be the way we address this season,” said Brown.
“We’ve got that target on our backs and we’ve got to accept we’re a big club in a small division supposedly.
“We’re going to be fired at and we have to have the character to stand up to that, then play the football that we can play.”
Blues now sit 16th in the National League standings with five points from six games.
But Brown is not focusing on the table at this stage.
“I’m not bothered about league positions at the moment, I’m bothered about the character of the team,” said Brown.
“And the character of the team was found to be wanting to be brutally honest.
“We’ve got to go back to basics and go back to what made us as spirited team at the end of last season.
“Everyone seems to be doing that against us and we’ve got to match that.
“Whether we’ve got the character in the dressing room to do that I’ve got to find it.
“If that means bringing players in and getting rid of players then I’ve got to try and find that as well.”
And Brown also confirmed he was close to adding to his squad, “We’re close to one or two,” he added.

I didn’t go last night. Thank ****. But sacking another manager isn’t the answer. This is getting on to 4 seasons of this now. I said after Halifax we aren’t in freefall but we needed to win that. Quite frankly most of our players aren’t good enough. If Akinola and ANG are being hailed as our potential saviours then we’re ****ed. They helped send us down here. The quality just isn’t there as it hasn’t been for a long time. Though in fairness we’re lucky to have Arnold, Murphy and Dalby. Those are all good signings.

Surely literally nobody now thinks we have a cat in hell’s chance of play offs or promotion. Like JS says above, he told us so. So did many others. This is a ******* of a league to get out of. We need to sharpen up fast. Last night was a proper reality check and nobody is under any illusions now, let’s hope from here we kick on. Lose to Torquay then wow, it’ll get toxic.

He’s right in what he says , but he has bought most of these players in and their characters should of been one of the most important contributors of playing in this division .
I just don’t understand , no matter what manager and formation we play as soon as we concede we look nervous and negative .

I’m at a loss to try and dissect what is wrong with our team/club , but we addressed a fair few of the so called problems and yet we are still in a downward spiral .
If 2 individuals haven’t shown the right character and have been left out then god knows what he’s going to do with this lot from last night - Akinola would 100% be an attacking upgrade on the flanks IMO

Back