• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Post-Match Thread and Ratings Southend United 2-3 Aldershot Town

He didn't actually throw anybody under the bus (granted maybe Coulson was nudged towards the kerb a bit) but he cited the teams character, rather than a lack of legs/pace. A lot of people, Brown included, thought that a collection of wily gnarled veterans would get us out of this league, when in fact younger athletic teams seem to have the upper hand.

all I kept seeing last night was hoof up in the air …...hoof up in the air.....no end result, no point having a midfield

sadly they are all to blame from the top to the bottom for last night, same as my long sad journey on Saturday to Halifax

this is a collective pile pf Dog poo at the moment

As usual, stating his personal responsibility but actually blaming everyone else.

Needs to change the mentality record now. 6 games in and it’s boring

We are ****. He’s assembled this side. Only Egbri from the starting XI last night wasn’t brought to the club by Brown or given an extension this summer by Brown. We are completely devoid of any tactical direction

Can anyone tell me what sort of team we’re trying to be? We just kick and run. Hit and hope.

I feel for the 2 forwards as I like them. They have actually both a decent return for this stage of the season in this pathetic setup. Imagine what they could do with service.

Akinola and ANG need to be bought in from the cold. I dont care what Brown thinks about them they are both major upgrades on the flat, slow, non creative mess of a midfield we currently have

So he" put the players in the right positions" did he? Tacit admission that he got it wrong previously? The comments are the same after every humiliation. Threats of getting rid of players but who is he talking about? Those he has brought in this time round? It cannot be the likes of Sim because he has not been offered the chance to play by Phil. No, sorry, it sounds like the bleating of a desperate manager. Ron must know now what a shocking mistake he made in reappointing PB. What worries me is whether Ron grasps the reality of what seems like an inexorable slide to NL South. That might sound dramatic but in the cold light of 15th September 2021 it is a thought which ought to shake Ron to the very core of his being. For heaven's sake Ron, wake up and smell the coffee!

Who'd be a Southend supporter? I am, by nature, a positive person and try to see good in everything (mostly anyway), but having offered up probably my most downbeat post match comments ever (and they really deserved it), I now feel disloyal to my team. What the **** is that all about.

Akinola and ANG need to be bought in from the cold. I dont care what Brown thinks about them they are both major upgrades on the flat, slow, non creative mess of a midfield we currently have
The problem is in the centre of midfield. Neither Akinola or ANG will play there. In terms of the wing where they’d actually play, neither of them are anywhere near as good as Bridge. An upgrade on Egbri? Perhaps, but not a massive one.

Let's just look at the players Brown has bought in ....it must me for their "character" as its definitely not for their ability as players...

Arnold- a good signing, upgrade on Oxley but then even Mel Capleton would be on that shower -7

Coulson - was known to be slow and injury prone, the fact we have tried to accommodate him lime he is Ronaldo is insanity. You won't see a slower player...ever. sure he can head a ball but if you kicked a ball at a statue enough times even it would hit it back occasionally. Awful signing - 2

Dunne - hmmmm Coulson needs some help in the snail race who else can we sign....ah yes Dunne. Just to make it interesting let's get a midfielder in who cannot pass... -3

Atkinson - boy may have the ability to run and run but if you don't do anything with the ball or off the ball you are basically Mo Farrah trying to play football...sad thing is I think Mo would probably do better - 3

Ogogo - wish he would just go go - see Dunne same player but maybe with a very small improvement in passing - 3

Bridge - I don't see what some see In him, he tries but he is very very mediocre. This is why he dropped into non league. He really offers nothing just like when he was first here. He does get a bonus point for not being 100 years old, not bring injured and being able to run faster that a snail that's been stepped on. -4

Dalby - yay...success ...looks a gem at this level but we won't see him really shine until something is created for him. Strong, good hold up, decent attacking play and already linked up well with Murphy ...1 goal off equalling last seasons record -7

Murphy - another success but then given his record at this level I didnt expect anything less. Already going into the club record books for hitting 3 goals in a season. When you think how little we create to have 3 goals is actually something very special. Gets in the right places, bit wayward at times but scores regularly-7

We also kept some players that really should of been moved on. Demi was past it 4 years ago, John White I wont critise too much as he does give his all but is slowly edging towards being a liability.

Other than our front line and keeper there is nothing to get excited about this team. Just a culmination of 8 flat, uninterested, some over the hill, some devoid of confidence but sadly mainly lacking in any real ability.

I couldn't bring myself to post last night and this morning the feeling isn't much better. We started brightly, scored an incredibly lucky goal and at that stage I thought, hooray, we're going to turn this lot over. It didn't happen, we just stopped doing the easy things and started doing all the stuff we are sadly famous for, long aimless balls, an inability to keep the ball on the ground, and no end product. Result? We got worse and worse and a young Aldershot team had us for pace just about everywhere. Ok, that it on the match report, it was just too bloody painful and frustrating to watch. A quick few words on the Ref - Totally inept ****er.

I now fear for Saturday and Torquay.

10 minutes later - I'm so ****ed off, if anything it's worse than last night as I can't see how we are going to put this all right on the pitch.
Cheer up and console yourself by reading your programme.

Enough examples of clubs that have dropped here and then either folded or relegated. Stockport, Darlington, Halifax, Chester spring immediately to mind but there’ll be others.
But they didn't have three sussesive relegations in a row. Think they only had 2. I wonder if we will be the first?

Are they though?? They definitely didn’t show it last season.
Yes they did, whilst Sim didnt necessarily score the goals we hoped for he was quick and direct on the ball and made chances. ANG excited me a lot at times last season. Whilst he struggles a touch with his final ball like Egbri he is a far superior footballer.

Akinola scored 16 goals in the conference before joining us. This is what i cannot stand about Brown, you need a few players in the side that have a bit of attitude and rough round the edges. You cannot and will not win games of football with 11 Phil Brown players on the pitch anymore.

Unfortunately Phil’s ego is painting him into a corner. He can’t scapegoat his own signings so Akinola, ANG, Ferguson and it seems Phillips are out in the cold leaving his ageing and pedestrian signings from his two terms being given the run around by younger more athletic teams. Most of his signings are capable of doing a job a this level but putting the whole lot together when they are all of a type (unskilled, hard working plodders) is not working. But where to turn to freshen things up when you are closing the door on your own younger players ? Furthermore with the age profile we’re going to get worse if he continues down this route.

Last edited:
Back