• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Post-Match Thread and Ratings Southend United 2-3 Peterborough United

Cricko

Zone Owner⭐⭐
Staff member
We deserved something out of that game, but still cant defend at times or score enough when we look threatening. I lost count of the times it was hit over the bar.

As ever we’re good in possession, apart from shooting, but poor without the ball particularly at either side of the pitch (we’re a bit better down the spine apart from at CB).

Centre back is just a huge problem at the moment. JW and MT are good, honest pros but White isn’t really quite good enough I’m afraid for what we aspire to and Turner has either had it or is in the mother of all periods of poor form.

Wrong taking Cox off for Theo; Cox had a hand on both goals and Theo did nothing

4 - GK - Would Bishop have conceded more than 3?
7 - LB - Coker actually had a decent game I think
5’s - CB - neither looked good enough today
6 - RB - slightly better going forward but still think he is a liability currently. Got caught out of position a few times and lost the ball too far up the pitch. Welcome back JD there soon
6 - Wingers - both did ok actually. Bunn run a few dead ends but did alright and MC not as good but scored
7 - CM - Tidy but nothing great. Controlled much of the game I guess
7.5 - Cox - despite the constant stick he gets on here (everyone new favourite scape goal) the only player we have with the quality to make the ball stick. Played a big part in both goals.
7 - Hopper - scored and some tidy play

Ultimately, another lose despite a better performance. Down to 15th. CP needs to get it together and quick if we want to do anything towards to right end of the table. If not, we better start getting a few points to avoid looking down this season.

Last edited:
Got to change centre backs. Why bring Moore in and not play him.

We have deserved to win today, had so many chances and nothing fell for us. Peterborough had 4 or 5 good moments and scored 3 with lucky deflections and scrambles and the ball falling in the right place at the right time.

Was impressed with Bunn.

Hate football.

We have deserved to win today, had so many chances and nothing fell for us. Peterborough had 4 or 5 good moments and scored 3 with lucky deflections and scrambles and the ball falling in the right place at the right time.

Was impressed with Bunn.

Hate football.
Not sure “nothing fell for us” we can’t hit a ****ing barn door and conceed 3 **** goals at home is more the problem then luck IMHO

Centre back is just a huge problem at the moment. JW and MT are good, honest pros but White isn’t really quite good enough I’m afraid for what we aspire to and Turner has either had it or is in the mother of all periods of poor form.

Agree! Five goals in two games, and you couldn't blame the keepers.
A bullet shot or a run through defence from a brilliant dribble, and there's not a lot you can do, but these three goals?
Everyone appears to look at everyone else from an opposition attacking move.

Was impressed with Bunn.

Hate football.

Great summary :Clap: you’ve saved me a post!

It looks like people in the match thread were complaining that we made our subs too late but honestly I think our mistake was making subs at all. Cox might not be the best at shooting but what he does do well is sit deep and give the midfield options, as soon as he went off suddenly we kept losing the ball in midfield because Theo doesn't help out in midfield like Cox does.

Not sure “nothing fell for us” we can’t hit a ****ing barn door and conceed 3 **** goals at home is more the problem then luck IMHO

A touch harsh IMO. You’re right about the barn, but it’s also true to say we didn’t get much of the ball dropping on a blue head or toe in the box. The one time it did properly drop for us in the box McLaughlin tucked it away. Actually I missed our first goal (****ing typical), so that could well have been a second time

I said last weekend that I’m beyond the point of feeling down after defeats as it’s a regular feeling at this level but after that, I am really ****ed off.

Firstly the defence, shambles. What do they do in training all week? Gooden has the freedom of the penalty area for both of his goals. Big questions regarding White and Turner as a partnership, how many goals is that now we’ve conceded with them both together? It’s time to start thinking beyond them both, get Moore in the side otherwise there was no point bringing him in.

Midfield I can’t crumble with, I thought Harry Bunn looked really bright and that’s encouraging. I thought Dieng looked a little jagged, I hope we didn’t rush him back to soon.

Strikers we have to ask questions off. Hopper not so much, he continues to score goals but Cox doesn’t. I know he is having an influence on the game in other ways but he isn’t doing what a striker is paid to do. Spare a thought for young Shawn. He has a blinder midweek and again is dropped to the bench and then brought on in the last minute when chasing the game and is expected to do something. How Theo keeps getting on ahead of the lad I don’t know.

On the game as a whole, I’m fed up with coming away from games thinking we’ve played well but not got what wee deserve. Give me hard thought wins like this at Bristol anyday of the week rathwe than dominating games and not getting anything.

Now to Chris, I’m one of his biggest fans but tonight he shares some of the blame. Firstly the changes, as we swore from across the dugout positive changes can change games, like scoring the winning goal. When we got back to 2-2 that was the moment to make changes and really go for it. Not after conceding again when it’s to late. It isn’t the first time Chris has been stubborn and refused to make changes until its to late.

All in all I’m very deflated after that defeat. We definitely deserved something against the league leaders who were very average it has to be said. It’s a worry that it’s only September and we’ve already lost 3 games at home. Not the start to the season we all expected.

It looks like people in the match thread were complaining that we made our subs too late but honestly I think our mistake was making subs at all. Cox might not be the best at shooting but what he does do well is sit deep and give the midfield options, as soon as he went off suddenly we kept losing the ball in midfield because Theo doesn't help out in midfield like Cox does.

Fair point. However if we have what are supposedly our first XI CMs both on the pitch and yet we still need one of our strikers to help out there and not be further forward then that’s another issue that needs sorting

Defensively sloppy marking / positioning. Turner at fault in build up to their winning 3rd. McLaughlin very poor masked by his goal and I'm going to criticise Powell's delay in making changes. Far too late & how Robinson came on head of Mcclousky on current form is anyone's guess. We can't expect many positive results when we
concede 2 or 3 every game.Need to be more ruthless up top but equally more solid at the back. If we don't find that balance in both boxes we're mid table at best. Positives were we created chances, better discipline, Elvis is promising and Hopper got another goal.

Firstly you can see why Peterborough are at the top, they are big and horrible and bullied us all over the park ( every player except Dembele and their 35 seemed about 6'6"
But, and here's the but at 2-2 they went for the win, and we were happy with the draw, sign of a good team. But why oh why do we need to be 2 goals down before we start playing. then when we get level, don't go for the win.
The game was similar to Doncaster in that respect.

Stockdale 4 Looks overweight to me, was knackered in the warm up after catching 10 balls.
2nd half let one go out for a goal kick, except one of theirs was on the back post and headed it back across goal , and I think it was JW who had to head it out for a corner.

Elvis 5. Cant defend, everything else ok gets the wrong side of his man too often (who trains these players)

JW Bullied had his hands full , was slightly the better CB

Turner 4 Heading ok everything else poor.

Coker 6.5 My MOM everything that was good came down his flank. But he is another that is better attacking than defending.

McGlaughlin 6 Still a couple of dodgy moments, but the goal will help confidence.

Mantom 6. Played really well in patches but too long anonymous spells.

Dieng 6. won a lot of headers, and played well

Bunn 6. Better 1st half than second when he faded I think he had our first two shots in the first 20 mins

Cox 6. Had a really good spell between 0-2 and 2-2 when he was almost unplayable. May not have been theright decision to sub him.

Hopper 6 Scored again (just) And he won more headers than he should have done against their giant centre backs, who look more akin to rugby than football.

Subs too little too late and wont bother rating.

A word on Peterborough who whilst not pretty to watch, probably have what it takes to get out of this division, seems size is everything.They make it very difficult for you. at least they went for it at 2-2 we didn't

6 - RB - slightly better going forward but still think he is a liability currently. Got caught out of position a few times and lost the ball too far up the pitch. Welcome back JD there soon
6 - Wingers - both did ok actually. Bunn run a few dead ends but did alright and Knightly not as good but scored
7.5 - Cox - despite the constant stick he gets on here (everyone new favourite scape goal) the only player we have with the quality to make the ball stick. Played a big part in both goals.

Ultimately, another lose despite a better performance. Down to 15th. CP needs to get it together and quick if we want to do anything towards to right end of the table. If not, we better start getting a few points to avoid looking down this season.
I don't kno
6 - Wingers - both did ok actually. Bunn run a few dead ends but did alright and Knightly not as good but scored

i

SOUTHEND United slipped to a 3-2 defeat against table-topping Peterborough United at Roots Hall this afternoon.

More...

I enjoyed the game, not so the result.
Posh are a typical Evans side, hard working, organised, cynical, bullying but disciplined AND BIG: the gk is listed at 6'8 and their main centre back 6.4!
None of our lads played badly but the defence was slow & slower to react to set pieces for the first two goals;- poor marking and slow movement.
Cox ran his socks off, especially chasing a lost cause in the move for our first. So pleased MacL stuck at it and scored.
IF IF IF we took some of the great chances we have had in our home games we could be right in the mix not just out of the mire!
Like others I felt taking off Cox only served to illustrate the work he does to link with midfield and influence the play, without him there was no link to the forwards.

Back