• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Post-Match Thread and Ratings Southend United 2-3 Peterborough United

Very frustrating game today... why can’t we turn pressure into goals? ...why do we need to be 2 down to look threatening in the final third?

Against a giant back line, surely we should be running the channels and making them turn, rather than pumping it up, for the whole game not just for the last quarter for the match (where we scored twice, by doing just that!).

McGoalsky needs to start along with Moore and we need Lennon back sharpish because our CB’s are average at best. And not good enough if we ever want any chance of play offs or automatic promotion ( :Hilarious::ROFL:).

Very, very fed up.

I know we have many players missing.

But yet again we dominate the first half, shut the Peterboro fans up and get caught by a sucker punch.

The 2nd half had a Doncaster feel about it and to go 2-0 down was no surprise. Comic defending at times.

To get back to 2-2 was a terrific effort but Peterboro's subs changed the game and to be fair they were the better side for the last 10 mins. The third was no surprise either and again the defending was poor.

We cannot keep conceding goals.

Something has happened with the shape and the emphasis in the team, last season we had goals all over the pitch but this year our strikers are the ones scoring. This all well and good but our midfield aren't weighing in enough.

All in all, this is one depressed shrimper.

Ratings

Stockdale - 5 - The only positive really is that Bishop didn't get all the flak for whatever performance he may have put in. Stockdale will be gone in 3 weeks. Disappointing for such a senior keeper that he didn't make a save and kept hoofing it down to Cox who was consistently beaten by one of their giants at the back.

Bwomono - 7 - Decent game, his crossing needs work as it is currently poor.
Coker - 8 - Good performance, linked well with Macca.
White - 7 - Good performance but he is not primarily a centre back
Turner - 6 - Better than last week but made an error for the 3rd and looks a bit pedestrian.

Bunn - 7 - Excellent first half, went missing at the beginning of the second only to come alive again to set up the 1st goal. Hit and miss after that.
Mantom - 7 - First half superb, bossed the midfield with Dieng but faded#
Dieng - 8 - Excellent at times, lack of fitness showed late on as midfield was overrun in the last 10 mins
McLaughlin - 7 - Best performance of the season, good goal but still a few off target attempts and nearly got caught in possession twice

Hopper - 8.5 MOM - Another goal, constant hard working performance.
Cox - 7 - Would have been lower and I'm sure he was going to be subbed when he suddenly came alive, robbed their defender and laid in Bunn to square it an a plate for Hopper. For 10 minutes he was on fire and showed what he could do.

Subs -

Robinson - 4 - Touched it once. Give it away.
McCoulsky - 6 - Didn't touch it all but was put on way, way too late.

Three areas where we consistently come up short.
1) Failure to capitalise when we are on top. Cox is not a predatory finisher, as Paul Clark underlined on the radio, Godden got his goals by gambling and anticipating in the box., Cox never does that and his hold up play is just that. He slows play down by dropping back to get involved in midfield and thus reduces the options of crosses and through balls by not being up there. Ok, he was involved in the two goals today but he is there to score them, and his shooting was atrocious.
2) The defence is a collective shambles with both centre backs there for the taking against a big, robust side like Peterborough. No organisation, no leadership and heaven knows how Bishop would have coped.
3) Powell's game management is very questionable. The timing and choice of his substitutions always seems out of reluctance to change things early enough or to make an imaginative difference. To give McCoulsky a derisory few minutes was poor.
The downward spiral we are suffering with three home defeats already needs to be addressed. We will see over the next few games if Powell has the managerial qualities to turn things round now the honeymoon period is definitely over.

Thinks ' Probably best to say nothing tonight, wait till tomorrow for more sensible comments'..............I hate Steve Evans, fat Scottish ****er, I hate all the 800 posh supporters for being happy and jumping up and down......sorry got carried away there just for a moment.

I take your point about the link up play but being a striker is ultimately about putting the ball in the net. Hopper & Cox are similar players, the difference is Hopper is scoring so harder to drop. If we play two strikers one surely next time has to be Shawn McCoulsky who has demonstrated goalscoring and deserves a chance to start. For me Cox / Hopper isn't great but the real issue stems from our defending, not offensive play

We lost today to a functional team who play to their strengths. Big defenders who comfortably deal with the corners and free kicks that come into their area. At the other end these big lads cause danger in the opponents penalty area. Long throw ins also used, they remind me of a Tony Pulis type of team. The icing on the cake for them is the impressive Dembele. It has to be said though that we deserved to take something from the game, their keeper had more to do than Stockdale. I think we are better than what our position in the table shows and with a bit of luck could definitely get six points from the Shrewsbury and Fleetwood games.

I said last weekend that I’m beyond the point of feeling down after defeats as it’s a regular feeling at this level but after that, I am really ****ed off.

Firstly the defence, shambles. What do they do in training all week? Gooden has the freedom of the penalty area for both of his goals. Big questions regarding White and Turner as a partnership, how many goals is that now we’ve conceded with them both together? It’s time to start thinking beyond them both, get Moore in the side otherwise there was no point bringing him in.

Midfield I can’t crumble with, I thought Harry Bunn looked really bright and that’s encouraging. I thought Dieng looked a little jagged, I hope we didn’t rush him back to soon.

Strikers we have to ask questions off. Hopper not so much, he continues to score goals but Cox doesn’t. I know he is having an influence on the game in other ways but he isn’t doing what a striker is paid to do. Spare a thought for young Shawn. He has a blinder midweek and again is dropped to the bench and then brought on in the last minute when chasing the game and is expected to do something. How Theo keeps getting on ahead of the lad I don’t know.

On the game as a whole, I’m fed up with coming away from games thinking we’ve played well but not got what wee deserve. Give me hard thought wins like this at Bristol anyday of the week rathwe than dominating games and not getting anything.

Now to Chris, I’m one of his biggest fans but tonight he shares some of the blame. Firstly the changes, as we swore from across the dugout positive changes can change games, like scoring the winning goal. When we got back to 2-2 that was the moment to make changes and really go for it. Not after conceding again when it’s to late. It isn’t the first time Chris has been stubborn and refused to make changes until its to late.

All in all I’m very deflated after that defeat. We definitely deserved something against the league leaders who were very average it has to be said. It’s a worry that it’s only September and we’ve already lost 3 games at home. Not the start to the season we all expected.
Sums up my feeling too...

At 2-2 we had them on the ropes, introducing McClousky and possibly Renei at that point could have snatched us the game. However I get the feeling that CP was happy with the draw, big mistake CP!!

PBoro were like a rugby union side, big, dirty and horrible! We should have introduced some quick players toward the end and run at them as their CBs looked tired, but CP stood with his hands in his pockets.

We played some nice football but got nothing as per the Donny game. Midfield looked good, except McL who despite his goal was poor, the CB are too slow, we really need Moore in the side alongside White, as Turner is becoming this seasons Anton. My MotM Coker was his reliable self, however I’m still worried about Elvis, who just doesn’t fill me with confidence as a defender. This WOW GK looked unfit and went for the punch instead of a lot of balls Oxley would have caught, and tbh I reckon on that showing our management should have shown faith in Bishop.

Up front yet again Cox can’t hit a barn door, yeah his hold up play is good but we need a proper strike partner for Hooper who can shoot straight.

Not happy, 3rd beer now being poured!

Cox was so deep in the first half that Woodyard was marking him - either play him up front with Hopper, tell him to stay up front or drop him!!

Hopper had two marking him as a consequence and was on his own for the whole first half.

Personally thought that Cox and McClaughlin were poor today..........again, as were Turner and White - 8 goals conceded at home in 4 games is just not good enough.

Really think with our lack of creativity in the Team that we should go with 3 CBs and play the full backs as wingbacks. Cox could then fit in to midfield in front of Dieng (who I thought was excellent) and Mantom - with two forwards being Hopper and McGoalscorer. 4-4-2 is not working at the moment imho

Very, very fed up.

I know we have many players missing.

But yet again we dominate the first half, shut the Peterboro fans up and get caught by a sucker punch.

The 2nd half had a Doncaster feel about it and to go 2-0 down was no surprise. Comic defending at times.

To get back to 2-2 was a terrific effort but Peterboro's subs changed the game and to be fair they were the better side for the last 10 mins. The third was no surprise either and again the defending was poor.

We cannot keep conceding goals.

Something has happened with the shape and the emphasis in the team, last season we had goals all over the pitch but this year our strikers are the ones scoring. This all well and good but our midfield aren't weighing in enough.

All in all, this is one depressed shrimper.

Ratings

Stockdale - 5 - The only positive really is that Bishop didn't get all the flak for whatever performance he may have put in. Stockdale will be gone in 3 weeks. Disappointing for such a senior keeper that he didn't make a save and kept hoofing it down to Cox who was consistently beaten by one of their giants at the back.

Bwomono - 7 - Decent game, his crossing needs work as it is currently poor.
Coker - 8 - Good performance, linked well with Macca.
White - 7 - Good performance but he is not primarily a centre back
Turner - 6 - Better than last week but made an error for the 3rd and looks a bit pedestrian.

Bunn - 7 - Excellent first half, went missing at the beginning of the second only to come alive again to set up the 1st goal. Hit and miss after that.
Mantom - 7 - First half superb, bossed the midfield with Dieng but faded#
Dieng - 8 - Excellent at times, lack of fitness showed late on as midfield was overrun in the last 10 mins
McLaughlin - 7 - Best performance of the season, good goal but still a few off target attempts and nearly got caught in possession twice

Hopper - 8.5 MOM - Another goal, constant hard working performance.
Cox - 7 - Would have been lower and I'm sure he was going to be subbed when he suddenly came alive, robbed their defender and laid in Bunn to square it an a plate for Hopper. For 10 minutes he was on fire and showed what he could do.

Subs -

Robinson - 4 - Touched it once. Give it away.
McCoulsky - 6 - Didn't touch it all but was put on way, way too late.

I mean where to start with those ratings. Either way I'll have whatever you're drinking.

First home game in a few years after becoming dissillusioned with the whole Phil Brown regime.

Today was intriguing, it took us a while to work them out but we did by playing a nifty skilled passing game. When we did we had them on the ropes and it was ours for the taking. There was a spell in the second half which we were unstoppable getting behind their defence and really causing trouble.

I don't understand why we suddenly reverted back to lumping it in the air which their back four were able to deal with easily. I saw enough to know we have the skill to do ok in this league so long as we get the tactics right and the reason we lost was due to our ineptitude.

Great to be back though in East Blacks but two quid for some hot water and a tea bag was a bit strong (unlike the tea),

Last edited:
We deserved something from today and there's even an argument that we should have won it. Peterborough were effective at what they did. 4 defenders who kicked, hooked and headed everything away, they scored their chances when they came and they'll be delighted to take all the points off us.
However, today wasn't just about us being unfortunate. It's happened in a few other games this season where we have created more and lost. For all the positives on the pitch, IMO the team is littered with basic errors throughout and we're seeing evidence of this time and again.
It's been this way since the opener v Doncaster. Teams with realistic aspirations of promotion do not concede goals like we did vs Doncaster and I've seen nothing that convinces me that problem looks close to being dealt with since.
Am I concerned and looking over our shoulder at the bottom 4? No, not at all. That would be a massive overreaction at this stage. I just think we can, and should be, doing better to progress as a team. I want to see the mistakes eradicated and see us make progress in this league.
Tough game away at Shrewsbury next...but here's hoping we see improvements we need to get the win and kick start the season.

First time at the Hall for a while and what a frustrating afternoon. Did enough for a point, might have got all three but ended up with zilch. Unimpressed with Peterborough (is that really the best we have in this league?) but defensively we just not alert enough. Ref didn’t disappoint though, very much to his past form...

First time down Roots Hall, and how Peterborough left with 3 points I don't know.

As soon as I saw Stockdale warming up, I said how overweight he looked. I don't know how fit he truly was, can't say I was overly impressed with him in regards to any of the goals. Don't think the kid would have been any worse, but the real issue were the centre halves. Neither struck me as dominant, the type you need leading your back 4 and despite some of the good play and promising attacking players, I think that the centre backs will be the difference between achieving something this season and not unfortunately. Definitely a lack of mobility back there, and like I said, bit shocked that neither of them appeared to take charge at the back the experience that is there.

Elvis is a real player on the ball. Really impressed. I was in West lower (Family block) so I couldn't make him out properly defensively at times in the first half, but I thought he showed some nice touches and wasn't bullied. Good head on his shoulders, think he'll go far.

Likewise, Hopper did really well. Amount of lost causes and perseverance against the 2 lurches at the back for Boro was excellent and he deserved his goal. Puts himself about, I like him. Cox is an intelligent player, and I thought he had a good game too. Dieng would be my other pick. A powerful leader in the middle, he's gonna be a massive part of the season.

Didn't think Boro were much at all, they were organised and made the most of your chances, thought Southend were miles better and if you had to ask as someone attending who wasn't aware of the league, if asked, you'd have said Southend were top and Peterborough were drifting by.

Great game, Southend very unlucky to not take anything and looking forward to getting down again, although the lack of Sammy Shrimps in the shop were a big disappointment the kid tells me!

By the time we had 10 shots, they had 3. The score....0-2. Our shooting is obviously a problem with so many going over the bar or straight at the goalie. Our defending is a problem, especially from dead balls and mistakes made. When you have twice as many shots in the whole game, you really shouldn't lose.

Home Team, Southend, Away Team, Peterborough.
Possession, Home 50%, Away 50%.........Shots, Home 18, Away 9.....Shots on Target, Home 10 ,Away 3.....Corners, Home 9, Away 4.....Fouls, Home 9, Away 15.

Last edited:
Why can't our strikers shoot straight?

In other news I note that Phil Brown has finally won at Morecambe. Pity he couldn't have achieved that with us.

We need to sort out our defence and we really need to learn to take our chances, it is becoming a frustrating common occurrence that we're getting the chances, but not taking them and then other team promptly pops down the other end and does it. Not sure what to make of Cox's performance today, seemed to help in the build up play but in terms of his shooting boots they were well off today. McLaughlin was really poor up until his corner, seemed to spark some life into him. Our substitutes were way to late, should have made them 10 minutes earlier to give them a chance to make an impact. I think we need to get a back-four, and just stick with it for a few games. I'd like to see Moore given a go.

Coker - White - Moore - Bwomono

Give them 3/4 games together, see what they can do. I know we have injuries but we need to stick to a team to get some consistency. It's the same up front. I don't think Cox and Hopper can play together, they feel too similar. I know our first 7 games on paper were difficult and we expected them to be but we really need to kick on now. 4 of our next 5 are below us in the table, lets get some wins.

A few thoughts on todays game. Turner is really cursed at the moment, every little or big mistake seems to result in a goal for the opposition. He was one of our best players last season. Today, he got easily beat in the air for their 2nd goal, and gave them the ball for their winner. How McCoulsky didn't start, I don't know. He would have skipped away from their giant No5.
Ben Coker seems to come alive when attacking our South Stand. He was fantastic, and a real threat.

Back