• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Post-Match Thread and Ratings Southend United 2-3 Plymouth Argyle

Interesting to hear the low down from those who went. Only plus seems to have been Kelman. Was the goal that good!?

Surely he has to start alongside Cox next game!?

(Bet CP brings back hopeless Theo though!)

Kelman's goal was really the shining moment of the afternoon from our point of view. One thing for us to savour and a moment the young Kelman will probably remember for the rest of his life. Yet, there is clearly something wrong, even allowing for all our terrible injuries. Something even the brilliance of Kelman won't solve. One way or another it needs sorting out QUICKLY, otherwise the end of the season really risks ending up in squeeky bum time.

Losing is part and parcel of being a Southend fan, I’m more than used to it by now BUT what I wont accept is losing like that today. Playing against the team second bottom of the league CP decided to go with one up front, yes we have injuries but if CP feels Kelman is good enough for the bench then he is good enough to start (which he looked every bit as good as ready and scored a worldy as well). For much of the game we showed no fight, no desire which is a real concern. Only when we get a goal back from the spot did we look like we actually wanted to get anything from the game. Questionable lineup and tactics again from CP who left it till we were 3-0 down before making any real changes of note. Players, management and members of the board need to questions about themselves.

This one particularly hurts, losing doesn’t often effect my mood for the rest of the weekend but this one will. I will not accept anything but 100% commitment from the players and today we didn’t get that from the majority of them.

**** the game, **** the rest of the players and **** the manager.

That goal was UNREAL. Take a bow young lad. Have a starting spot next week and off we go...

Now give Wabo a start alongside Kelman and Cox and we will have a strike force that at least wants to be on the pitch and all know where the goal is. Come on CP, cheer up and take a risk - it's paid off with Kelman.

Now give Wabo a start alongside Kelman and Cox and we will have a strike force that at least wants to be on the pitch and all know where the goal is. Come on CP, cheer up and take a risk - it's paid off with Kelman.
**** Wabo as well.

Kelman and Cox to start wth Hutchingson behind and bishop in goal. Don’t worry about the rest of the players, waste of time. Start with 4, be the same as today.

Aside from Kelmans worldly and a couple of excellent blocks from John White that was a disgraceful performance. The last time a Southend team played as poor as that was under Tilson, when the players weren’t being paid. Is this happening again...?!

That was ****ing ****e. 23rd in the league and we’ve set up 1 up front and tried to frustrate them. It’s embarrassing

2 strikers get on the pitch and we score 2 goals but it’s too little too late

Dieng, Hendrie, Yearwood and Mantom were all having a competition amongst themselves on who could give away possession the most

Great moment for Kelman but this is ****

Who would earn a living dependent on 15 plus men showing a bit of spirit?
It amazes me any managerial vacancy gets 100 plus applications.
I know for a fact that Eastleigh - essentially Charlie Nobodies from the National - got 133 sending in their CV's, and it included two former internationals!
Of course, I would defend CP, and maybe his head is down as well watching the tripe in front of him, but is there a side unluckier than us?
We get an injury every time someone sets foot on a pitch, and if ANY of the rumours are true about unpaid wages - what's CP meant to do about that?

That was an utterly woeful performance. Long balls to Cox that he had no chance of winning without committing a foul. Nobody near him when he did manage to win a ball fairly.

No passion whatsoever.

Then we have Charlie Kelman. As soon as he came on you could see he was up for it. About the same height as Cox if not smaller, he ran intelligently into space, shielded the ball well and while Cox was waiting to take the penalty, Kelman was the only one to go over to the Plymouth player who was getting in Cox's ear and pushed him away. That says it all for me.

Then came THAT goal. I don't think I'll see a better goal at Roots Hall. The ball comes to Kelman 5 yards in our own half. He looks up, sees the keeper well off his line and launches a shot of perfection, dead straight. Goes over the retreating keeper, one bounce and in the back of the net. Truly sensational. Only missed by those that left early.

I would have no hesitation throwing Kelman into the starting 11. He looks up for it and has the skill and vision to hold his own in L1

Last edited:
I thought Alvin Martin era was bad, Chris Powell has equalled it
Let’s hope he has some passion in his eyes when him and Uncle Ron meet up

Good to see the youngsters but proves they need an experienced pro to rally when heads are down and today we didn’t have one on or off the pitch

Here is the danger, Kelman is a youngster, a very promising one at that. I think there is a risk of throwing him in and relying on him too soon. Of course he could prosper but there is also a danger that he could be dragged down to the level we saw from the majority of his team mates today.

The only problem with playing youngsters is they do unprofessional things, like shoot from the half way line.

That was probably the worst league performance it has been our misfortune to witness this season. I could go on but there's not a lot of point.......................but after getting up down, up down for the last 20 minutes when people left early there was a moment which made it worth staying to the end for when Charlie Kelman scored what will probably be the goal of the season. It's probably best to wait and see the highlights and judge for yourself if you weren't there. Oh, and Coxy scored from the spot as well. That will do for now.

Kelman's goal deserved a better setting than this awful performance, one of the few pluses from an inept, disjointed display which surely signals in capital letters that Powell either hasn't got a clue or if he has, doesn't know how to communicate any kind of basic plan to the players. Playing one up front is fine if the one is suited to the task, but Cox clearly isn't and to keep lumping aimless balls in his general direction must be the easiest thing in the world to defend. How many more games do we have to watch this guaranteed to lose rubbish before there is a change? Nothing to do with injuries, bad as they are, it's all about having a pattern of play that the players can understand and work to.

All this time we've been thinking Dru will be the next youngster to leave the club. Clubs will have undoubtedly been keeping a tab on Kelman and with a debut like that it might not be Dru after all!

Back