• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Post-Match Thread and Ratings Southend United 2-3 Plymouth Argyle

Maybe you should lend someone your crystal ball next week pal......or use it yourself BEFORE a game....it’s a bit harder that way!!

These were your comments last time they all started at home to Gillingham!!!

all good with both sets of comments - i am not one those people who needs to be "right"
all time ..

But they completely contradict each other one game apart!!

Even if you’re 100% correct with your observations, how could anyone have predicted it prior to the game following the Gillingham result?

Jesus what a wretched week. To start - effort wise, that was 100% better than Tuesday. All that does is show how bad we were then. We were also dreadful today.

Quick summary - first 20 mins or so was pretty even. Then Hendrie makes an appalling decision to try and head the ball back to Bishop from 20 yards out, followed by an even more appalling header which puts the ball straight into the Plymouth attackers path. 1-0.

Not much more happened in the first half aside from the fact that our heads dropped. Oh, and we had another injury with Harry Bunn going off with what I believe is a hamstring problem.

Which brings me to an incident that has absolutely left me seething and confirms that some players here are just stealing a living.

So, 3 of our senior players - Hyam, Kightly and McLaughlin - are doing light warming up down in the South East corner. Bunn goes down injured. The game stops for a good minute while Ben comes on, examines Harry and signals he can't continue.

Now, I and anyone else who has played football will know that when you're a sub, you are secretly hoping that the person who plays in your position has a mare so they can be subbed and you can come on in their place. Certainly if that person goes down injured, you can't wait to show the boss you're ready to come on and do a job.

But not so here. They are all having a chat, apparently oblivious to the fact that a) the game has stopped, b) Bunn has gone down injured and c) he is coming off.

Kightly and Macca at least should have both returned to the dugout as one of them was going to be needed. It took what seemed like the fans yelling at them as we restarted with 10 men before Kightly jogged back. We played for about a minute and a half with 10 men. That is just unacceptable and shows that the players don't give a stuff.

That is immensely worrying.

In the second half, we started well, won a corner, forced a free kick and it all looked a bit promising. That was before a clearance was hoofed down the line over where Hendrie should have been (where the **** was he?) and Ladapo just ran clear through, cut in and fired home. 0-2.

Charlie Kelman came on and immediately showed he had a bit of energy, didn't look fazed at all... maybe a comeback was on? Well, that was scuppered a few minutes later when some absolutely comical defending gave Plymouth a third. Bishop threw the ball out to a Plymouth player, we had chances to clear, all failed, Elvis got on the wrong side of his man, challenge after challenge was missed and we gave away what looked like a penalty only there was no need as the ball was slotted home anyway. 0-3!

Before and after this, we allowed Plymouth to look like Barcelona. They were pinging the ball about, doing one-two's, playing tiki-taka football and I feared an even bigger drubbing. Our defending was ponderous and almost non existent. But with 5 mins left we had a bit of pressure, the ball came out to Mantom who struck it goalward and a defender "saved" it - penalty.

Up stepped Coxy to give us a consolation. 1-3, despite some gamesmanship from their defenders and an insistence by the ref to speak to their captain, the bloke that handled it and Cox, for some reason, all of which delayed the kick by about 2 minutes.

Bearing that delay in mind, plus the three goals, several bookings and some Plymouth time wasting, it was therefore a surprise to see only 4 minutes go up on the board. Perhaps we had been so abject that the ref clearly thought the game was over and didn't want to prolong the agony.

Young Charlie Kelman had other ideas and hit an absolute worldy which is one of the best goals I've seen live. All the people who left early - serves you right (although I can't blame you!).

There was a semblance of a half chance to grab what would have been a thoroughly undeserved draw, but we got what our overall dreadful performance warranted - bugger all.

It is however huge testament to the explosive talent that is Charlie Kelman that most fans, me included, left with more than a glimmer of hope and nowhere near as downbeat as we would have been just 10 minutes earlier. Such a goal was worth going on it's own. Even some of the Plymouth fans were applauding.

But something is very wrong at the club and when you have the senior pros just not giving a toss, questions need to be asked. I don't think it's a wages issue, as RM wouldn't have dared go into the dressing room on Tuesday night to moan if he hadn't paid them. Chris Powell is not a controversial character unlike PB, so I doubt it is a personality clash. He might just be a bit too nice and frankly, when you have players like Kightly picking up a few thousand quid a week for doing nothing, where's the incentive?

Of course, it could just be the injury situation and - Kelman aside - it is not generally advisable to have too many kids in a losing squad. They don't have the nous to get the team out of the hole they are in. If our all conquering U23's played, we would lose 5-6 nil every week. The difference is huge. The only positives are that we are in a transfer window and we have 2 or 3 players coming back from injury.

I am just hoping that young Charlie has given the whole team a kick up the backside, otherwise we are in desperate trouble.

Ratings -

Bishop - 6 - Made one good save from Ladapo in the first half but gave away the ball for their 3rd goal.

Bwomono - 4 - He will be good but this run and the teams form is affecting him. He is being dominated in games. I hope Demi is back soon to give the lad a break.
Hendrie - 3 - This player is an U-23 Scottish international and West Ham paid good money for him. I seriously think I'm better with the ball than he is and that's now, not when I was in my playing prime! He gave away the first and went AWOL for the second. He can't cross. It's woeful and sad to see. Can we get a loanee left back please?
White - 8 - Made a couple of monster tackles to save almost certain goals. No criticism of him at all.
Turner - 5 - His legs have gone, he poses no aerial threat going forward and barely wins much at the back. Yet is the only real height in the team and one of only 2 currently fit central defenders. Can we have a loanee central defender please?

Mantom - 6 - Does his best but he isn't really a captain. In the window, can we have a loanee or signing who is a real motivator please?
Dieng - 7 - Decent enough but was caught between protecting the back four (his best position IMHO) and trying to lend some height to the attack.
Yearwood - 5 - Well no-one is going to buy him on this form. I hope it's temporary and he gets better because he is a shadow of the player we had last year.
Bunn - 5 - Looked a bit off the pace and now has got injured. Another one bites the dust! Can we get another winger in as a permanent or a loanee please?
Hutchinson - 5 - Disappointing. After a promising start, his control wasn't great, his decision making was poor and he didn't really make the most of his chance.

Cox - 7 - Battles on his own up front in a system that clearly doesn't work yet we are forced into it with the players we have available. Can we have a target man striker in as a permanent or loanee please?

Subs

Kightly - 6 - Plenty of good flicks, 50 yard crossfield passes, touches in areas of the pitch that don't matter. Try putting meaningful crosses in to a Southend shirt, or even have a go sometimes. Give us some value for what you are being paid!
Kelman - 8.5 - MOM - Hats off to this youngster who showed the old 'uns how to do it. I hope he doesn't get dragged down to their level. He did seem to have something about him though and you get the impression he will not be intimidated by bigger and older opponents. He certainly held his own today against their no 5 but I hope this doesn't manifest itself into red cards. And what a wonder goal! The one bright spot in a **** week.

Ref - 7

Last edited:
Bishop had less to do today than he did in Gillingham game and yet he conceded 3 goals....

Elvis was no better or worse today than Gillingham and wasn’t at fault for any of the goals....

Hutchinson probably had more involvement first half than the entire game at Gillingham and was positive and tried to be brave in possession but perception changes with a win to a loss....

Dru was ok against Gillingham outstanding against Portsmouth but his touch and passing were poor today even giving it away when “setting” from throw ins.

Perception is king and a win and a loss gives people a very different view point of who is and who isn’t a world beater!!!

These are young players and with that comes great inconsistency. It’s the norm. What I’m saying is let’s get less carried away and less disappointed on a week to week basis and let’s start appreciating progress whether we deem it too slow or not...

For me today our worst players were (in no particular order) White / Turner / Dieng / Hendrie / Mantom / Cox......5 of those 6 is expect to be guiding the youngsters through not vice versa

Last edited:
Your playing a team that are 23rd in the league. You're short of defensive options but you have 3 experienced wide players in the squad. You have 4 strikers at your disposal... What do you do CP?. You leave 2 strikers on the bench and don't even include the other one in the squad. You leave 2 of the experienced wide players on the bench an play one striker on his own up front.....

I've read all about the injury issues that we have and these cant be ignored. But my issue is more about Powells inability to select a starting line up to win a game.

A 3-5-2 formation today would have utilised the fit players that we do have. Powell needs to hold his hands up and start being honest with the fans. He needs to start explaining his selections cos nobody can understand . Least of all me...

Jesus what a wretched week. To start - effort wise, that was 100% better than Tuesday. All that does is show how bad we were then. We were also dreadful today.

Quick summary - first 20 mins or so was pretty even. Then Hendrie makes an appalling decision to try and head the ball back to Bishop from 20 yards out, followed by an even more appalling header which puts the ball straight into the Plymouth attackers path. 1-0.

Not much more happened in the first half aside from the fact that our heads dropped. Oh, and we had another injury with Harry Bunn going off with what I believe is a hamstring problem.

Which brings me to an incident that has absolutely left me seething and confirms that some players here are just stealing a living.

So, 3 of our senior players - Hyam, Kightly and McLaughlin - are doing light warming up down in the South East corner. Bunn goes down injured. The game stops for a good minute while Ben comes on, examines Harry and signal he can't continue.

Now, I and anyone else who has played football will know that when you're a sub, you are secretly hoping that the person who plays in your position has a mare so they can be subbed and you can come on in their place. Certainly if that person goes down injured you can't wait to show the boss you're ready to come on and do a job.

But no so here. They are all having a chat, apparently oblivious to the fact that a) the game has stopped, b) Bunn has gone down injured and c) he is coming off.

Kightly and Macca at least should have both returned to the dugout as one of them was going to be needed. It took what seemed like the fans yelling at them as we restarted with 10 men before Kightly jogged back. We played for about a minute and a half with 10 men. That is just unacceptable and shows that the players don't give a stuff.

In the second half, we started well, won a corner and forced a free kick and it all looked a bit promising. That was before a clearance was hoofed down the line over where Hendrie should have been (where the **** was he?) and Ladapo just ran clear through, cut in and fired home. 0-2.

Charlie Kelman came on and immediately showed he had a bit of energy, didn't look fazed at all... maybe a comeback was on? Well that was scuppered a few minutes later when some absolutely comical defending gave Plymouth a third. Bishop threw the ball out to a Plymouth player, we had chances to clear, all failed, Elvis got on the wrong side of his man, challenge after challenge was missed and we gave away what looked like a penalty only there was no need as the ball was slotted home anyway. 0-3!

Before and after this, we allowed Plymouth to look like Barcelona. They were pinging the ball about, doing one-two's, playing tiki-taka football and I feared an even bigger drubbing. Our defending was ponderous and almost non existent. But with 5 mins left we had a bit of pressure, the ball came out to Mantom who struck it goalward and a defender "saved" it - penalty.

Up stepped Coxy to give us a consolation. 1-3, despite some gamesmanship from their defenders and an insistence by the ref to speak to their captain, the bloke that handled it and Cox, for some reason, all of which delayed the kick by about 2 minutes.

Bearing that delay in mind, plus the three goals, several bookings and some Plymouth time wasting, it was therefore a surprise to see only 4 minutes go up on the board. Perhaps we had been so abject that the ref clearly thought the game was over and didn't want to prolong the agony.

Young Charlie Kelman had other ideas and hit an absolute worldy which is one of the best goals I've seen live. All the people who left early - serves you right (although I can't blame you!).

There was a semblance of a half chance to grab what would have been a thoroughly undeserved draw, but we got what our overall dreadful performance warranted - bugger all.

It is however huge testament to the explosive talent that is Charlie Kelman that most fans, me included, left with more than a glimmer of hope and nowhere near as downbeat as we would have been just 10 minutes earlier. Such a goal was worth going on it's own. Even some of the Plymouth fans were applauding.

But something is very wrong at the club and when you have the senior pros just not giving a toss, questions need to be asked. I don't think it's a wages issue, as RM wouldn't have dared go into the dressing room on Tuesday night to moan if he hadn't paid them Chris Powell is not a controversial character unlike PB, so I doubt it is a personality clash. He might just be a bit too nice and frankly, when you have players like Kightly picking up a few thousand quid a week for for doing nothing, where's the incentive?

Of course, it could just be the injury situation and - Kelman aside - it is not generally advisable to have too many kids in a losing squad. They don't have the nous to get the team out of the hole they are in. Irf out all conquering U23's played, we would lose 5-6 nil every week. The difference is huge. The only positives are that we are in a window and we have 2 or 3 players coming back from injury.

I am just hoping that young Charlie has given the whole team a kick up the backside, otherwise we are in desperate trouble.

Ratings -

Bishop - 6 - Made one good save from Ladapo in the first half but gave away the ball for their 3rd goal.

Bwomono - 4 - He will be good but this run and the teams form is affecting him. He is being dominated in games. I hope Demi is back soon to give the lad a break.
Hendrie - 3 - This player is an U-23 Scottish international and West Ham paid good money for him. I seriously think I'm better with the ball than he is and that's now, not when I was in my playing prime! He gave away the first and went AWOL for the second. He can't cross.It's woeful and sad to see. Can we get a loanee left back please?
White - 8 - Made a couple of monster tackles to save almost certain goals. No criticism of him at all.
Turner - 5 - His legs have gone, he poses no aerial threat going forward and barely wins much at the back. Yet is the only real height in the team and one of only 2 currently fit central defenders. Can we have a loanee central defender please?

Mantom - 6 - Does his best but he isn't really a captain. In the window, can we have a loanee or signing who is a real motivator please?
Dieng - 7 - Decent enough but was caught between protecting the back four (his best position IMHO) and trying to lend some height to the attack.
Yearwood - 5 - Well no-one is going to buy him on this form. I hope it's temporary and he gets better because he is a shadow of the player we had last year.
Bunn - 5 - Looked a bit off the pace and now has got injured. Another one bites the dust! Can we get another winger in as a permanent or a loanee please?
Hutchinson - 5 - Disappointing. After a promising start, his control wasn't great, his decsion making was poor and he didn't really make the most of his chance.

Cox - 7 - Battles on his own up front in a system that clearly doesn't work yet we are forced into it with the players we have available. Can we have a target man striker in as a permanent or loanee please?

Subs

Kightly - 6 - Plenty of good flicks, 50 yard crossfield passes, touches in areas of the pitch that don't matter. Try putting meaningful crosses in to a Southend shirt, or even have a go sometimes. Give us some value for what you are being paid!
Kelman - 8.5 - MOM - Hats off to this youngster who showed the old 'uns how to do it. I hope he doesn't get dragged down to their level. He did seem to have something about him though and you get the impression he will not be intimidated by bigger and older opponents. He certainly held his own today against their no 5 but I hope this doesn't manifest itself into red cards. And what a wonder goal! The one bright spot in a **** week.

Ref - 7
Totally agree on the substitution fiasco. Kightly, McLaughlin and to a certain degree the management team( not just CP) should be ashamed of the whole episode.

Hutchinson getting stick on here.

That's the spirit! .. Unbelievable!

That was an utterly woeful performance. Long balls to Cox that he had no chance of winning without committing a foul. Nobody near him when he did manage to win a ball fairly.

No passion whatsoever.

Then we have Charlie Kelman. As soon as he came on you could see he was up for it. About the same height as Cox if not smaller, he ran intelligently into space, shielded the ball well and while Cox was waiting to take the penalty, Kelman was the only one to go over to the Plymouth player who was getting in Cox's ear and pushed him away. That says it all for me.

Then came THAT goal. I don't think I'll see a better goal at Roots Hall. The ball comes to Kelman 5 yards in our own half. He looks up, sees the keeper well off his line and launches a shot of perfection, dead straight. Goes over the retreating keeper, one bounce and in the back of the net. Truly sensational. Only missed by those that left early.

I would have no hesitation throwing Kelman into the starting 11. He looks up for it and has the skill and vision to hold his own in L1
Martin will sell him

I said on here a month ago I’d be happy just to avoid relegation this season and that’s still the case. CP might not be Poch but we’re L1 with a sizeable chunk of our top talent out for the season. He’s not a magician. I’m celebrating every point like a cup final win because trust me unless Ron unlocks the war chest soon we’re in a relegation fight regardless of our league position.
But you can coach them to play the wings play around crap 6ft CB and get to Coxy feet hoof ball don't win nothing

So, 3 of our senior players - Hyam, Kightly and McLaughlin - are doing light warming up down in the South East corner. Bunn goes down injured. The game stops for a good minute while Ben comes on, examines Harry and signal he can't continue.

Now, I and anyone else who has played football will know that when you're a sub, you are secretly hoping that the person who plays in your position has a mare so they can be subbed and you can come on in their place. Certainly if that person goes down injured you can't wait to show the boss you're ready to come on and do a job.

But no so here. They are all having a chat, apparently oblivious to the fact that a) the game has stopped, b) Bunn has gone down injured and c) he is coming off.

In the second half, we started well, won a corner and forced a free kick and it all looked a bit promising. That was before a clearance was hoofed down the line over where Hendrie should have been (where the **** was he?) and Ladapo just ran clear through, cut in and fired home. 0-2.

Charlie Kelman came on and immediately showed he had a bit of energy, didn't look fazed at all... maybe a comeback was on? Well that was scuppered a few minutes later when some absolutely comical defending gave Plymouth a third. Bishop threw the ball out to a Plymouth player, we had chances to clear, all failed, Elvis got on the wrong side of his man, challenge after challenge was missed and we gave away what looked like a penalty only there was no need as the ball was slotted home anyway. 0-3!

But something is very wrong at the club and when you have the senior pros just not giving a toss, questions need to be asked. I don't think it's a wages issue, as RM wouldn't have dared go into the dressing room on Tuesday night to moan if he hadn't paid them Chris Powell is not a controversial character unlike PB, so I doubt it is a personality clash. He might just be a bit too nice and frankly, when you have players like Kightly picking up a few thousand quid a week for for doing nothing, where's the incentive?

Of course, it could just be the injury situation and - Kelman aside - it is not generally advisable to have too many kids in a losing squad. They don't have the nous to get the team out of the hole they are in. Irf out all conquering U23's played, we would lose 5-6 nil every week. The difference is huge. The only positives are that we are in a window and we have 2 or 3 players coming back from injury.

Ratings -

Hendrie - 3 - This player is an U-23 Scottish international and West Ham paid good money for him. I seriously think I'm better with the ball than he is and that's now, not when I was in my playing prime! He gave away the first and went AWOL for the second. He can't cross.It's woeful and sad to see. Can we get a loanee left back please?

Hutchinson - 5 - Disappointing. After a promising start, his control wasn't great, his decsion making was poor and he didn't really make the most of his chance.

Subs

Ref - 7

White 8 - I'll have some of what you are having!! If it wasn't for Bishop, we would have been 2-0 at half time because White let Ladapo get behind him. Then you blame Hendrie for not cutting out a ball over the top, which is Turner and White's responsibility, not Hendrie's!!

White was as bad as the rest of the defenders

At a loss really- White according to the commentators the stand out in defence - experts on here trashing his performance. Everyone has their views and one’s 3 is another’s 9....

That’s what a forum is for I guess.

Hutchinson getting stick on here.

That's the spirit! .. Unbelievable!

where is he getting stick ?
its a post match thread, I can read lot of reviews (myself included) saying he didn't have a good game, but I dont see anyone giving him stick

Back