• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

TV Highlights Southend United 2-4 Barnsley

The ref had his hand up to indicate an indirect free kick so it was definitely given for off-side. Everyone was confused as to why it had been disallowed. It was clear even from the half way line that Turner was on side and it didn't hit anyone on the way in.

It was clear from the half way line, and beyond, that Turner was not in an offside position. It was far less clear that it didn't hit anyone on the way in, especially the one who sort of hopped out of the way. From the Assistant's sideways on view it would be impossible to tell whether it touched either of the two players. So he flags, so far so good. It is then for the two of them to confer. The Assistant will say , "two players in offside position, were they interfering with play?". Still so far, so good. At this point the referee should say "no" and give the goal, but for some inexplicable reason he gave offside. All the fault lies with the hapless referee, not the Assistant.
It was also unclear why he pointed to the centre circle before confirming the offside indirect free-kick.

It was also unclear why he pointed to the centre circle before confirming the offside indirect free-kick.
Yeah why the hell did he do that? It looked like he had given the goal and so everyone celebrates again.

Mind you he did also signal for goal kick when we won a corner in the first half, then changed his mind.
Think he needs a few more seasons at much lower levels before being fast tracked. Hopefully we never have him again.

I know another League 1 team were also very unhappy about his performance only a few matches ago.

The lino was also waving for one of their goals (the one where Oxley came for the cross).

Yeah why the hell did he do that? It looked like he had given the goal and so everyone celebrates again.

Mind you he did also signal for goal kick when we won a corner in the first half, then changed his mind.
Think he needs a few more seasons at much lower levels before being fast tracked. Hopefully we never have him again.

I know another League 1 team were also very unhappy about his performance only a few matches ago.

Really ? I was thinking perhaps a different sport.

Was that Oxford (who managed to lose a 3 goal lead in his only League One match so far) ?

It was clear from the half way line, and beyond, that Turner was not in an offside position. It was far less clear that it didn't hit anyone on the way in, especially the one who sort of hopped out of the way. From the Assistant's sideways on view it would be impossible to tell whether it touched either of the two players. So he flags, so far so good. It is then for the two of them to confer. The Assistant will say , "two players in offside position, were they interfering with play?". Still so far, so good. At this point the referee should say "no" and give the goal, but for some inexplicable reason he gave offside. All the fault lies with the hapless referee, not the Assistant.
I would have thought that any player on the goal line is likely to be interfering with play, which is why with hindsight seeing the replay I can see why it was ruled offside:Unsure:

I think the new rule uses phases of play more and once the keeper parries to Turner, McCoulsky and Theo can only be interfering if they are stopping a Barnsley player from intercepting the shot or they touch the ball themselves.

Last edited:
I would have thought that any player on the goal line is likely to be interfering with play, which is why with hindsight seeing the replay I can see why it was ruled offside:Unsure:
But as has been confirmed by the match officials the goal was not given due to Turner being offside (which of course he was not). Nothing to do with the other two players.

Last edited:
I thought SCP said on interview that the referee told him that?

If an official is not 100% sure about a decision, they shouldn’t give it. I think he wasn’t sure and still gave it

It was clearly onside from my view in the Royal Box.

Mick etal, if that is the case surely he doesn't flag in the first place?

Back